300w LED - Sunset Kush

Re: 420 Cannasumer Reports - GrowLEDHydro Spectra 300w LED / Sunset Kush by Setting S

Again, there's probably more than one hay factor, but I know that sometimes when buds feel dry and crispy on the outside, there can still be a lot of moisture in deeper that isn't apparent.

Then when you jar them, that moisture works it way out and produces the same effect as if the buds were jarred too soon.

Don't ask me how I know this ;)

Oh man, don't ask me either.

Something about learning the hard way... :)

Re: 420 Cannasumer Reports - GrowLEDHydro Spectra 300w LED / Sunset Kush by Setting S

Irish, I've made hay (the kind horses eat) and I've had pot that smelled like hay... what I'm talking about is a kind of musty ammonia-like smell. With hay, it's definitely cause its still wet... my pot has been cause I bagged it too green. It's nice to know about hayey smelling nutes.

I've looked around for the rh meters I think you're talking about, but cant find them... got a link?

Hay is for horses, not for pot heads :smokin:

IMG_64691.JPG

IMG_64701.JPG

IMG_64721.JPG

IMG_64881.JPG

IMG_6479.JPG

IMG_6473.JPG

IMG_64871.JPG

They're doing good, still filling in.

Using tap water and not having to mix nutes is a pleasure.

I'm going to finish this grow without knowing if the bubbles made any difference as regards Vicky, but knowing that Shrub grew just fine in a regular Hempy bucket without any modifications. I did use about 30% Turface added to the Perlite, which helped with water retention. The Turface, even in chunky Perlite, didn't get all washed down to the bottom of the bucket, which surprised me. I like Turface, seems like a great general amendment for water retention, and it's inert and PH neutral, unlike vermiculite. Doesn't break down like vermiculite either.

I've got the GLH LED light at 14". Can't wait to see the numbers on this harvest. The buds are solid and heavy. I think the bleaching episode may have robbed them of some trichs, but there's still enough time left for more frost to form. Penetration, even with the light up at 14", has been good enough to develop the lower bud sites very nicely.

This light is an *excellent* match for my DR80 tents. Haven't done any formal measurements yet, but empirically, it seems to cover the 30" X 30" area very well. It's quiet; I can't hear it at all over my very quiet S&P exhaust fans. It's low-profile, which is important in a 64" tall grow space, especially since it's powerful enough to require similar distances to canopy as a 400w HID.

And.........................the grow isn't over yet, but I daresay that it's veg performance is *outstanding*, producing stocky and stacked plants with thick stems and good branching.

The above pics speak for it's ability to bloom.

The lack of stretch in these two plants is pretty remarkable too. I don't know how much of that is genetic, and how much the light, but I'm growing a sativa next, so that should help answer that question, especially since we'll have the HID side to compare things to.

Hope everyone has a green weekend! :Rasta:

Shrub is maturing into a very nice young lady!!! :yummy:

Yes, she is!

I think her main cola might actually be larger than Vicky's.

I think I'm going to ditch the bubble setup and just go with regular Hempy buckets, like Shrub is in. The bubbles are a hassle and add humidity.

I would be *very* happy growing 3-4 plants like Shrub in one of my tents.

thanks Tmac12 ;)

What you've just done here is blaze a new trail in personal MJ growing.

Your entire setup costs less than 2000 bucks, as far as I know....maybe less than 1500.
Each successive run costs even less than the first, as tap water is basically free, and OC+ is 20 bucks for several years worth of grows like this one.

Heat is easy to control compared to an HID. The quietness is perfect for stealth applications.....no bulbs to change, no expensive nutes.

For an indoor grow, this is within anyone's reach.

Well done SS!

those buds just look solid from the pics.. were gonna have to play tyhe guessing game again on this one:thumb:

they look like they frosted up more?

ill tell you what it feels good to here/seen others doing good with these lights since allot of people said i was BS'ing on my last grow.. just shows i was telling the truth.. of course none of these people were from 420mag:thumb:

these truly are great lights, and we are just barley seeing what these lights can really do, more time and more growers using these lights might unlock some things we do know about these leds.. its still very new with these lights.. everyone is still on their 1st grow, and i am on my 2nd, all my past led grows dont count because these lights are very different from the 3w and the 90 degree lens.

you are truly doing a great job..

these lights do cost allot of money but the 1st harvest should yield enough to cover the cost by saving from buying buds.. the true way to see what these lights are worth, is by seeing the side x side it will tell us how the lights differ if they do?

its just truly amazing that just OC+ did this.. no offence but i dont see someone doing much better with MJ nutes, specially so much better to justify the price tag on those nutes. i am sold on TRF for sure.

I'm a little late, this conversation was a page ago... sorry. But, as far as the hay taste. I think it's more in the cure. And what I've found, is so far all my cures have given me the "false dry". What I mean is several days after harvest the buds will feel dry, the stems will snap, and whatever. Then, a few days later, they're moist again. I'm not sure if it's moisture re-entering the nuggets via the stem? Or if it's moisture the dryed buds are soaking up from the air. Either way, I think you have to get past the false dry, then let them rebound, and let them cure from there. I think at least a 3 week cure should get rid of any hay taste.

What you've just done here is blaze a new trail in personal MJ growing.

Your entire setup costs less than 2000 bucks, as far as I know....maybe less than 1500.
Each successive run costs even less than the first, as tap water is basically free, and OC+ is 20 bucks for several years worth of grows like this one.

Heat is easy to control compared to an HID. The quietness is perfect for stealth applications.....no bulbs to change, no expensive nutes.

For an indoor grow, this is within anyone's reach.

Well done SS!

Thank you Doc!

Around $1500 or so for the LED light, the tent, exhaust fan and carbon filter.

and I agree with all of your points.

The LED tent is easy to set up because heat is manageable without having to resort to measures like the air-cooled hood in the HID tent, and because the light is a single component, as opposed to separate ballast, and cord, hood, bulb, etc.

It's very easy to assemble one of these grow tents, hang the LED light, mount the carbon filter, and stick the exhaust fan on top.

More people should do it.

thanks again Doc ;)

:peace:

Thank you Doc!

Around $1500 or so for the LED light, the tent, exhaust fan and carbon filter.

and I agree with all of your points.

The LED tent is easy to set up because heat is manageable without having to resort to measures like the air-cooled hood in the HID tent, and because the light is a single component, as opposed to separate ballast, and cord, hood, bulb, etc.

It's very easy to assemble one of these grow tents, hang the LED light, mount the carbon filter, and stick the exhaust fan on top.

More people should do it.

thanks again Doc ;)

:peace:

I'm guessing about 4 oz dried from those two plants.
300watts on the light, right?

If that's the case, you've essentially gotten 6 grams per watt, by my calcs.
:yahoo::thedoubletake::headbanger::headbanger::headbanger::adore::adore::adore::goof::goof::blunt::blunt:

That's incredible!
Even if you weigh out at 2 oz. that's still 3 grams per watt.

Bro....that's like breaking the light barrier. (well, almost)

And, let's repeat this again:

Tap water, OC+ and perlite. Oh my.

those buds just look solid from the pics.. were gonna have to play tyhe guessing game again on this one:thumb:

;)

they look like they frosted up more?

a little more since the last update.

ill tell you what it feels good to here/seen others doing good with these lights since allot of people said i was BS'ing on my last grow.. just shows i was telling the truth.. of course none of these people were from 420mag:thumb:

After literally years of looking for successfully completed LED grows on the Internet, and the frustration of not being able to find any, the whole issue has come full circle and been resolved for me, first in your last grow, and now in my own grow room ;).

these truly are great lights, and we are just barley seeing what these lights can really do, more time and more growers using these lights might unlock some things we do know about these leds.. its still very new with these lights.. everyone is still on their 1st grow, and i am on my 2nd, all my past led grows dont count because these lights are very different from the 3w and the 90 degree lens.

Absolutely. I'm sure there are some very cool things on the horizon for LED's.

We've only scratched the surface of this technology, and it's been very cool to watch it's progression.

these lights do cost allot of money but the 1st harvest should yield enough to cover the cost by saving from buying buds.. the true way to see what these lights are worth, is by seeing the side x side it will tell us how the lights differ if they do?

Dispensaries have their place, and I'm grateful for states that allow patients access to legal medical marijuana, but I'm glad that I can legally grow my own and spend (or save) my hard-earned money elsewhere.

its just truly amazing that just OC+ did this.. no offence but i dont see someone doing much better with MJ nutes, specially so much better to justify the price tag on those nutes. i am sold on TRF for sure.

I've come to that conclusion, Irish. I really don't think I can do a better job of feeding my plants than what I'm seeing when using a CRF like OC+ or Dynamite. The plants respond to them better than with any more costly concoction that I can brew up.

Then when you add to that the ease of a single one-time application, and then just adding water for the rest of the grow, how can you beat that?

If I thought I was sacrificing yield or quality somewhat to gain those benefits, I might still use them, because it would still save me labor and money, but after using them, both in my garden with other species of plants, and now in this grow and an outdoor grow I have going, I don't think I'd be sacrificing anything.

If I want more yield and fatter buds, I should work on becoming a better grower, not throw money at nutes.

If the 300w light draws 300 watts, 4 oz yield is .38 g/w.
Looks like good stuff. :)

I've been sampling product.....I'm usually not this dense with stuff....help me out on my calc's.

Oh....never mind.....I was treating oz like lb....multiplying by 16. How embarrassing. I knew something wasn't right.

It's that damn marijuana.

:lot-o-toke:

What's your carbon filter and fan setup, followed by your personal recommendation, as we have the same size tent, SS.

Thanks

Nice stuff here....as usual!

Can you recommend a websit to look at led lites? I googled led lites today and got a lot of sites, wasnt sure what was going on!

I believe, or at least hope that there is some advantage with using the full line of H&G nutes, because I bought them. But... I fear that the other factors may preclude enjoying these potential pluses.
Air qualities: content both of CO2 and toxin removal, temperature, RH, and movement can conspire to negate petty advantages with fertilizers. Then there is light. It may be that much more intensity and spectrum quality is required to ramp up growth rate to the point where finer nutes can make their mark. Fine tuning every facet may yield measurable results, but at what cost? Money may not the best benchmark IMO. Bud prices at the Co-op belittle even the cost of my full line-up of fancy bottles of fine brine(salts + water). There is use of space and utility demands that weigh differently to each grower. Capital demands are also of variable significance. Then there is time. This is the 'gotcha' factor: How much time does one have?

Can one buy time with technology? Yes
Can technology ease demands on utilities? Yes
How about real estate? Case is not yet made IMO.
Are there growers so expert that every little advantage is measured in results? Yes?, but I don't know any of those.
I really don't think I can do a better job of feeding my plants than what I'm seeing when using a CRF like OC+ or Dynamite. The plants respond to them better than with any more costly concoction that I can brew up.

Then when you add to that the ease of a single one-time application, and then just adding water for the rest of the grow, how can you beat that?

If I thought I was sacrificing yield or quality somewhat to gain those benefits, I might still use them, because it would still save me labor and money, but after using them, both in my garden with other species of plants, and now in this grow and an outdoor grow I have going, I don't think I'd be sacrificing anything.
So, LEDs look a lot better to me, and I'll definitely run a grow using just OC.

I'm a little late, this conversation was a page ago... sorry. But, as far as the hay taste. I think it's more in the cure. And what I've found, is so far all my cures have given me the "false dry". What I mean is several days after harvest the buds will feel dry, the stems will snap, and whatever. Then, a few days later, they're moist again. I'm not sure if it's moisture re-entering the nuggets via the stem? Or if it's moisture the dryed buds are soaking up from the air. Either way, I think you have to get past the false dry, then let them rebound, and let them cure from there. I think at least a 3 week cure should get rid of any hay taste.

yep, "false dry" is the perfect term to describe it.

if you jar them like that, they won't be right.

There isn't enough moisture in the air in a sealed jar to rehydrate the buds, so it has to be hidden moisture in the buds themselves.

I'm going to use some small RH meters in my jars on this harvest to see if I can take some of the subjectivity out of the process.

The fatter the buds, the harder it is to judge moisture content, but I guess that's one of those good problems ;).

Back
Top Bottom