300W LED vs. 400W HID Demonstration

Re: 420 Cannasumer Reports Competition - GrowLEDHydro 300w LED vs. 400w HID

Great show Mr Sun! If it wasn't for the trichomes, I'd almost feel vindication for old school. I expected the LED to kick the horizontal hood enclosed HPS's a$$. However, any increase of trichs is waay significant. The green biomass doesn't count for much when everything is cut and dry.

Show me the honey, Money!

I've just finished my second flower with one of Mike's 300w panels.... I can definitely smell, taste, feel and SEE the difference in the LED flowers next to my 400w HPS flowers. The med's grown by Mike's spectra LED units will surprise even the most experienced smoker..

Personally I see a San Francisco cannabis cup being won in the very near future using one of these Spectra units... Shh' :)

Both sides look great, but I'd rather have the led girls in my tent ;)

Looks like the SS Setting Sun is sailing towards some serious booty :rollit:

:peace:

to compare a 250w CMH to another 250w HID bulb, so I could do that.

That would be very nice to see... :cheer:

Never thought about one light pushing out more trichomes than another... but Gator did! Might have to compare hash production too...

SS i have a feeling this is going to be ur best grow yet from the way things are looking already. :bravo: those girls are packing on the resin, the best part is ur not adding any additives or special bloom nutes.

Im soo sold on the led lighting. Ill be pickin one up for $400 for my next grow :)
I seen one at my local shop and it was in a 3x3 tent rockin out some tomato plants with the thickest leaves iv ever seen it was sooo healthy. So i remember what you said about the leaves seeming a lil bit thicker SO IM SOLD I GOTTA HAVE ONE...No ventalation, less electricity straight simplicity SAAAAAWEEET!!! Thank you Mr. Sun for this side by side and im sure the led lighting companies are gonna owe you millions for this grow :) HAHa LOL
bro i cant stress enough how not every led light isn't the same. trust me ive been their done it. so i hope ur local shop has one of mights lights in their? you also have to be careful theirs others going around trying to say their lights are the same company as mikes but its not true. but please dont think because one led company's lights are doing good, all the other comapnys will do the same, these lights here are a special breed like no other ive seen yet.

also you still do need ventilation with leds or any light, ur plants need the ventilation and fresh air. you just dont need as much because the goal isn't all about cooling down the lights like HID

Great show Mr Sun! If it wasn't for the trichomes, I'd almost feel vindication for old school. I expected the LED to kick the horizontal hood enclosed HPS's a$$. However, any increase of trichs is waay significant. The green biomass doesn't count for much when everything is cut and dry.

its all about the honey my friend. i want to se the leds go against the CMH and see what produces more homey/frost

I've just finished my second flower with one of Mike's 300w panels.... I can definitely smell, taste, feel and SEE the difference in the LED flowers next to my 400w HPS flowers. The med's grown by Mike's spectra LED units will surprise even the most experienced smoker..

Personally I see a San Francisco cannabis cup being won in the very near future using one of these Spectra units... Shh' :)
you might see that sooner then u think:cheer:
Both sides look great, but I'd rather have the led girls in my tent ;)

Looks like the SS Setting Sun is sailing towards some serious booty :rollit:

i agree i would pick the led tent if i had to choose also. dont get me wrong i would pick them all but i would prefer the led tent at this point and time

SS... I run one of Mikes 300w (360w actual) units aprox 10" off the canopy. I have it in a 34" x 34" area on a light mover.. I'm getting no bleaching at this height because the LED unit never stops for more the 60 seconds on each end.... The light mover seems to be a nice little trick for LED setups IMO..

When I was running the air cooled 400w HPS setup that too was in a 34" x 34" area on a light mover.. At the end of using the HPS setup we were running it 12" off the canopy at the start, and pulling the light up to aprox 15" to 17" after day 45 or so of flowering..

After thorough testing of the HID setup... Pulling the HID light up greatly helped in the deterioration of THC at the end of flowering..

The deterioration of THC is normally associated with the radiant heat coming off the hot HID bulbs..

Dogs Very Interesting. You may have just solved a problem for me. My DIY tent is 5 ft wide. I can divide it-or not. Do you think ONE larger LED + track mover= 2 LED lights?:thanks:

Great journal SS.
Will be very interested to see how this one turns out, LED plants seem to always look good in veg, but then lack something in the bloom period.

Can you comment on current bud density at this point?
They look fairly even, but density wise, how are things matching up?

Also what are the wavelengths and ratios of the LED chips?
I find the published "11 wavelengths" at 90 degree in 3w a little hard to swallow,
The reason being, I think you would be hard pressed to find 11 different wavelengths of 3w LEDs at 90 degree.

Is there some information on the package from the manufacturer about the actual specifications of the LEDs themselves?

These videos are getting exciting! I thought we had the same tent, but even with those big girls it looks like they fit very well. My 3gallon ladies are even budding on the walls and fought for space all the way to day 30 of flower. I'm sure yours love the space and high transpiration rates. Everything looks incredibly healthy thus far. My girls are starting to drop some fan leaves off in places where light intensity isn't as high. I don't think your girls will have the same trouble w/ those lights. Hope to see those buds start to fill out in the next couple of weeks. I have a good feeling that you may break your record on yield w/ these tents. I'm glad that the tents are neck-n-neck which thus far is proving that these lights compete really well with hid setups. Keep on teaching the masses the future! Best of luck and keep it green SS.

MJ

High MJ!

Yep, we're runnin' the same tent(s). Pushing the plants more into the corners is new for me, since with lower-powered lights I was in the habit of pushing them towards the center due to less intensity and coverage, but I really like how they fit and fill the tent out with these two lights.

Transpiration rates are high with the fan blowing up from the bottom, but I've done a couple of things to slow it down a little so I don't have to water every day. I put a layer of hydroton over the coco, which will help slow evaporation, and I'm not running my circulation fan with lights-off. There's enough flow-through circulation with the exhaust fans to keep the air fresh and prevent mold, and I think the ladies like it a bit better without cold night air blowing up their skirts ;).

I think it's possible that I may exceed my goal of 8oz from each tent. These ladies have enough size and structure to average at least 3oz apiece, so while I don't like to count my chickens, there's a nice flock shaping up in there.

thanks bro!

+1 for using the word 'whippersnappers' in a sentence.

Us old curmudgeonly geezers appreciate it. ;)

gotta keep it real dog, u know what I'm sayin'? ;)

Gong! :) More Canterbury Tales...didn't know they had a new one out. Nice JITL imagery, too. I suppose if 2012 doesn't turn into a Mayan s**tfest after all, some of us might actually make it to 2032 and find out for ourselves.

(in this incarnation, anyway - we shall see)

numerology is dangerous for those of us with OCD, so you guys please let me know when you got it all sorted out ;).

If the first actually uses Edixeon K-Series (#EDEW-KLC8), those aren't bad overall. Not exactly higher-end Cree's, but also not as expensive. Decent for the money.

The 5w? ...non-branded, and as astro would point out, all specs are just that. What's it really do?

The problem with eBay is - you never really know what you're getting. Even if they tell you it's a 'brand name'.
-----

Your call. Want to try out some cheap LED spots for a cycle or two, then it's an option. If you do end up using some spots though, lower watt ones like that are better thermal-wise - and whatever you do, do NOT enclose them. A cylinder makes a very nice heat trap. Open air only, and if you can get some circulation on them, all the better.

Anything over 5w in that profile, and make sure it's got some decent (active) cooling. Put a fan on 'em.

I get leery of any spot that costs too little, also. Makes me wonder exactly what's in it - since most retail electronics never sell for less than 30-40% gross margins - and LEDs tend to go for a lot higher.

Just sayin'. :reading420magazine:

I was searching ebay for "6500k" and had never seen those before, so I was curious.

I'm in the habit now of pointing a fan(s) at my lights whenever possible, both for the benefit of the plants and the lights. Too many benefits to set things up differently, so it's become an integral part of my grows, so I arrange things to make it possible.

as usual, thanks for the helpful feedback TL!

Wow...3 ozs a plant! Is that a norm for you Settingsun?

NCDude

Nice videos Sun! They are really coming along.

the videos or the plants? ;)

That was a different song bmarduk... and I kinda liked it! Have to hit Mog for some more...

I liked it too!

On the veg lights - any compelling reason to use those instead of T-5's, CFLs... or even just shop lights? I use t-8 shop lights for all my vegging with a couple CFLs hanging to fill in - there's a 27 watt cfl out with a real nice 5500 "daylight" spectrum, and seems more intense than the larger sizes.

No, no compelling reason, just curiosity as to how they would work. Even though they're pretty cheap individually, the cost would add up quick to put something together that would equal even my 110w power compact T5.

It was mostly their small size that's attractive. A power strip with 3-4 of those socket adapters and populated with those 6500k LED bulbs would be very compact and kinda nice for lighting up a small clone shelf, or a mom or two, but mainly just curiosity if anyone's tried them.

thanks OB1! (see, you can teach an old dog) ;)

So, averaging the canopy, the LED light is at about 20", and the HID light is at 17".

cripes, that's still not right.

Averaging the canopies, the LED light is at around 20", and the HID light about 18".

The stretch stopped in the nick of time, because as dogs mentioned, too much closer and the radiant heat from the HID would start to degrade the trichs and quality of the final product.

This LED light, while producing less radiant heat, has more than enough intensity to bleach and burn your buds if you get too close, as I did on my last grow at 8". I had the light up at about 10", which was already way too close, and the plants stretched 2" in one day and buds got bleached. That grow would have yielded even more without that episode, but I didn't have a feel for the limits of this LED light yet.

Having just finished a grow with some weaker 126w and 180w LED lights, I was used to having the lights pretty close down, but even 10" is way too close for this LED light. I dropped it down from 20 to 18" yesterday because canopy temps were a nice cool 74, so I'll check on them again tonight and see how they're doing and measure canopy temps.

I like the infrared thermometer gadget. It's better than pushing things until I see heat stress and then backing off, that's for sure. The ladies do not need any stress right now.

so the infrared thermometer gadget seems to be pretty accurate on how far to keep the lights? how do you know whats good? u just tell my how hot the canopy is? what # are you aiming for?

these lights are no joke specially when u have 3 of them in a small area you get bleaching very easy. so far i am thinking 15-16" is a good spot for the 300's in flowering. now i have to start over with the 180's and see where its at? i am thinking they should be-able to be closer since its not as intense light.

so the infrared thermometer gadget seems to be pretty accurate on how far to keep the lights? how do you know whats good? u just tell my how hot the canopy is? what # are you aiming for?

these lights are no joke specially when u have 3 of them in a small area you get bleaching very easy. so far i am thinking 15-16" is a good spot for the 300's in flowering. now i have to start over with the 180's and see where its at? i am thinking they should be-able to be closer since its not as intense light.

what kind of distance on the 300W LED's for veg, 18 inches ?

I played around with it on my previous grow and it seemed like my plants would start to show mild stress at around 80, so I'm shooting for nothing higher than 78. I just checked them and dropping the LED light down 2" to 18" made canopy temps go up by 2-3 degrees, so having been at 74 with the light at 20", I'm pretty much right where I want to be at 18".

The 9" fan blowing straight up through the canopy really helps drop the canopy temp. Even with the circulation fan off with lights out, however, I'm having to water every 2-3 days. It seems to increase transpiration a lot, but coco turned out to be a lifesaver there, as it holds a ton of water.

The OC+ was a good call. It fixed any and all deficiencies in 2-3 days, and the HID plants got nice and green. The combination of Dynamite purple and OC+ is just kicking ass on this grow. My "soil" temps are at exactly 70F, so that's optimal for the OC+, and it also seems to have satisfied whatever cravings the coco has, because everything is behaving itself very nicely now.

I'm watering with rainwater or RO, 5ml cal-mag, and PH down to 5.8-6.0.

No other supplements or nutes, just the DM purple and OC+.

I watered them tonight and I could almost see the buds swelling in real-time ;).

I'm going to flush them heavily with Clearex or Florakleen in a couple days to flush salts and keep things healthy, and I think I'm going to start using some hygrozyme too. Never used the stuff before, but been reading and hearing lots of good things.

It's tempting to try the Pond-zyme stuff, but the dose per gallon is miniscule. In any case, I was too high to figure it out, lol. I'll just ante up for the hygrozyme on this grow.

Things are looking pretty good :)

I played around with it on my previous grow and it seemed like my plants would start to show mild stress at around 80, so I'm shooting for nothing higher than 78. I just checked them and dropping the LED light down 2" to 18" made canopy temps go up by 2-3 degrees, so having been at 74 with the light at 20", I'm pretty much right where I want to be at 18".

The 9" fan blowing straight up through the canopy really helps drop the canopy temp. Even with the circulation fan off with lights out, however, I'm having to water every 2-3 days. It seems to increase transpiration a lot, but coco turned out to be a lifesaver there, as it holds a ton of water.

The OC+ was a good call. It fixed any and all deficiencies in 2-3 days, and the HID plants got nice and green. The combination of Dynamite purple and OC+ is just kicking ass on this grow. My "soil" temps are at exactly 70F, so that's optimal for the OC+, and it also seems to have satisfied whatever cravings the coco has, because everything is behaving itself very nicely now.

I'm watering with rainwater or RO, 5ml cal-mag, and PH down to 5.8-6.0.

No other supplements or nutes, just the DM purple and OC+.

I watered them tonight and I could almost see the buds swelling in real-time ;).

I'm going to flush them heavily with Clearex or Florakleen in a couple days to flush salts and keep things healthy, and I think I'm going to start using some hygrozyme too. Never used the stuff before, but been reading and hearing lots of good things.

It's tempting to try the Pond-zyme stuff, but the dose per gallon is miniscule. In any case, I was too high to figure it out, lol. I'll just ante up for the hygrozyme on this grow.

Things are looking pretty good :)

sounds good.
its good that the OC+ helped out, might be a great mix for the colder temps, but not too sure in the hotter months? but seeing ur buds swell in real time is a good thing:bong: ive yet to see that, but if i smoke more i think i can.lol. ill trough some OC+ in my plants right now!

i am glade ur grow is working out good, ur plants look great and i think this will be ur best work yet!

i am going to mess around with the DM red a little bit on this grow to find a good combo to mix with it to add all the cal it needs and stuff. i have a few organic options i am thinking of, i am having a very hard time thinking of not using the DM red because the buds are so fat for me and very frosty. i dont think ill mess with OC+ this grow unless i need it to fix something. one thing that worries me is that the DM might not work as good in the lower temps as the OC+? maybe its best in high temps and OC+ is best in lower temps. i also wonder how the OC+ would do mixed with the DM red?

if you ever figure out the pond stuff make sure to let me know? i want to use it but way to chicken shit to test my math.lol. the hydro stuff ive heard great things about but it coast allot.

what kind of distance on the 300W LED's for veg, 18 inches ?

IMG_6720.JPG

These PPP clones had been vegged under T5 until they were about 12", and then went under the LED and HID.

I had the lights up high at 24-26" for a couple of weeks to acclimate them, and then started dropping it, but the lowest I went was around 18". That seems to be the sweet-spot for both veg (once hardened) and bloom for my setup and style of grow.

In my tents, the coverage, penetration and intensity seem excellent at that height, and plants aren't stressed. The 360w Spectra is a really good match for my DR80 tent. The core saturation area for the Spectra 360 is 3' x 2.5', and my tents are 2.7' x 2.7', so it's close to a perfect match for effective coverage.

When you match good quality products together, good things are gonna happen.

Im soo sold on the led lighting. Ill be pickin one up for $400 for my next grow :)
I seen one at my local shop and it was in a 3x3 tent rockin out some tomato plants with the thickest leaves iv ever seen it was sooo healthy. So i remember what you said about the leaves seeming a lil bit thicker SO IM SOLD I GOTTA HAVE ONE...No ventalation, less electricity straight simplicity SAAAAAWEEET!!! Thank you Mr. Sun for this side by side and im sure the led lighting companies are gonna owe you millions for this grow :) HAHa LOL

Like Irish mentioned, not all LED lights produce the same results, so it would be good to do some homework before pulling the trigger.

They do produce beautiful foliage, but it's flower-time, the weather's fine, kush sunset on my mind ;)

Plus it makes pictures look cool lol

you should see my purple and green ano ballasts ;)

I trim my buds using the two scissors and glass of alcohol, soaking one while using the other, and when trimming LED buds, I've noticed that I've had to switch scissors about twice as often as with T5 or HID buds. They get gummed up twice as fast.

When you handle the buds, you notice it too, they stick to everything.

but it ain't over till all the fat ladies sparkle ;)

Back
Top Bottom