Thanks! Right?! #8 is going to explode when I get her in the ground...which will be VERY soon. Stay tuned! Haa haaa
Not to mention the morning glory backdrop and fresh picked snacks. Super cool

* UPDATE *
1,3 - VEG DAY 43 (5/12)
Above Soil 4/28 - 2 wk seedling stage
#1 - 6/3 topped - 6/20 pinched branch tops and FIMM attempts
#3 - 6/20 topped & pinched branch tops
7,9 - VEG DAY 39 (5/16)
Above Soil 5/9 - 1 wk seedling stage

#1 is already feeling light and needs water tomorrow. They are all due for a topdress on Sunday too. That means a light edge watering tomorrow morning and then drenched on Sunday. If 7 & 9 don't need a full drench by then, I'm not sure if I should wait on the topdress until they need to be watered? Or topdress and water deeply no matter what?

I was thinking of putting up #1 already but with all the chopping I did last week, I'm thinking I'll give her until the next topdress to do it. Or should I just pot her up this Sunday? She hasn't really skipped a beat much from all the stress I've put her through. She likes to eat and is thirsty quicker than I anticipated. Other than that, I think she's a solid and vigorous grower with strong roots.

They all got a good foliar spray of @Sierra Natural Science SNS209 before lights out.

#3 - Post topping and bending 6/20

* UPDATE for 6/27*
@GeoFlora Nutrients Topdress Day for ALL the plants!

# 1 & 3 - VEG DAY 46 (5/12) - Week 6
# 7 & 9 - VEG DAY 42 (5/16)

Outdoors Zone 9B, California
# 2 - Bonsai Inspired Design
# 8 - Raised Garden Bed

I want to start off with #8! She got yanked out of the strainer container and put in the ground. She had roots already growing out the bottom and into the soil! For her spot in the garden, I'm using a 20 gallon container to measure my feeding schedule. So 20oz of 'VEG' got topdressed. I then mulched with fresh cut red clover and coco husks. After that, a layer of straw mulch (forgot to get a pic).

I'm excited to see what she's going to do when she settles in!

Quick bonsai update. Removed some leaves and added some more wire to continue with the bending. Nothing too excited yet.

The rest of the ladies in the tent got their topdress and watered in. #1 & 3 got some wire tweaks to stretch and even out those branch heights.

I also prepped their final pots and pre-charged them each with some GF 'VEG'. They will all be getting a bunch of worms too.

They all look great!!! I really like the style of your bonsai plant. I was hoping to mess around training a clone I tried to take but I was not attentive enough to get it to root. I'll be living vicariously through yours now!

They all look great!!! I really like the style of your bonsai plant. I was hoping to mess around training a clone I tried to take but I was not attentive enough to get it to root. I'll be living vicariously through yours now!
Thanks MG! Sucks the clone didn't make it. I have some major pruning decisions to make soon. I may cut off the branch that is facing the front on the lower left. I'm going to sweep it backwards and back up behind the main stock to see how it looks. If it looks weird, I will be chopping it! Live on!
BakedARea, great update and results so far. Will be watching that outdoor transplant…others in this grow are taking off outdoors. Cheers
Thanks Cr8! I checked on her this morning and she was looking perky already. I put the tomato cage around her and tied her up to let her get some roots settled in. Now to decide if I will just let her grow or if I'm going to train and contain...

* UPDATE *

Signs of a potential problem...

# 1 & 3 - VEG DAY 50 (5/12)
# 7 & 9 - VEG DAY 46 (5/16)

#7 & #9 are showing signs of something...not sure what though. Please chime in if you see this update and may have an answer. I need go find that deficiency chart and see if I see something similar.

#1 started showing signs of being thirsty yesterday afternoon. She was much drooped this morning.

#3 is chugging along nicely.

They all got a little bit of water today, mainly the edges of the pots.

I didn't get pics of #2 today as it was still darkish this morning when I was getting ready to head out. I've been a bit slower than normal lately with updates here. I'll do my best to get caught up with everyone's journals over the next few days. Take care everyone and many blessings!

The problem looks like very early stages so hard to tell. I would guess magnesium deficiency if I had to pick. Since Calcium and Magnesium deficiency are the most common.

Are you using any Cal-Mag? How's your pH?

Your using the GF nutes? I had the same issue with autos at about this stage when 2 of the 4 plants took on a yellowing using the GF. I used an Epson salt in the watering and as a foliar spray then went to a Cal-Mag+ and it cleared up. There has been a number of growers getting the yellowing of leaves on some of their plants using GF but it seems to always clear up and not cause any lasting effects. GeoFlora has a question and answer / help site on here.

Are you using any Cal-Mag? How's your pH?
I am not. I was going to use it but I wanted to showcase the GF nutes as much as possible without affecting its efficacy. As for pH...well I just haven't even put any consideration into doing any soil slurry. The water I am using is RO and it's typically in 6-7 range. I have not tested it after adding the SNS209 or terpinator though. I just don't worry about it honestly because of the buffering efficiency of organic soils.
Just boost their cal - mag intake or water in some epsom
Thank you for chiming in. I may do so on one of the plants and compare the results with one of the plants where I keep it strictly GF. I haven't made up my mind but everyone seems to be leaning in the same direction.
Your using the GF nutes?
Yes Nev. I have been using GF from the beginning and have not strayed away from it. They got pre-charged soil with it and top dressed with it a couple weeks ago when I transplanted them. I'm stumped to think it is a nutrient deficiency.
How tall approximately are your girls, the ones that are the oldest?
They oldest are roughly a foot tall. I haven't measured them in a long time. I'll do my best to remember and get some measurements later.

* UPDATE * - July 2nd
# 2 - Day 51 - Bonsai Inspired Design
# 8 - Day 47 - Raised Garden Bed

#8 is camouflaged beautifully with all the other foliage. Tough to make her out with everything surrounding her but that is changing quickly! She has grown a lot in the past few days. Only a matter of time before last weekend's feeding gets eaten up by the microbes! As soon as they do their work, I expect this plant to take off. I will be topping her today.

My little bonsai is doing pretty good. I've been twisting and bending almost every day and she doesn't skip a beat. There are some stressed leaves but I think it is due to touching the turface mulch and staying wet for too long. I'll be snipping some leaves again today. I will likely not top any branches. Aesthetically, I would like to see single colas on each branch. I am starting to see a miniature forest develop.

* UPDATE *
Epsom Salt Foliar Spray @ 1tsp/gal - sprayed twice - after first spray was absorbed, gave it another shower.

SNS209 Foliar Spray after last epsom salt foliar was absorbed

#1 & #3 were feeling light - both got 500 mL x 2 (@Sierra Natural Science SNS209, @Terpinator , and epsom salt 1/4 tsp)
#7 & #9 still had water weight - 1000 mL each of the same solution as above.

Once again, I completely forgot to check the pH of the solution.

# 1 & 3 - VEG DAY 52 (5/12)
# 7 & 9 - VEG DAY 48 (5/16)
#7 - 7/3 topped & super cropped / branches pinched / manually pulling branch canopy forward & main stock back
#9 - 7/3 topped & bent / branches pinched / applied more wire

All lights adjusted to 490-500 PPFD

Sorry about all the bold text. I'm trying to make it easy to look back at the primary information for quick reference and summary. Any questions, please ask! I want to thank @HashGirl for asking about their heights. I hadn't done it for at least 3 or 4 weeks I think. It was a great reminder to gather some extra data! Thank you for the nudge HG.

I did a lot of work in the tent today! I feel good about my decisions and now to see how they respond. Did lower canopy defoliation and removed small branch sites that would only be taking energy away from the rest of the plant. Did this to all the plants. I'm hoping this will push some energy into the freshly topped & pinched branches to help them recover more efficiently.

Buried the foliage of each plant into the soil inside the final containers. I also added about 1/2 gallon of water to each of the containers. I will likely add another 1/2 gallon in a couple days. I would like to keep everything slightly damp to cook a little better before I transplant.

But first...a quick shout out to our sponsors! I see it time and again across the many journals how thankful everyone is. Well, we mean it! Many thanks to @GrowTina for providing the Bestva Pro1000 that's doing a bang up job in my limited indoor experience. Running at 12" from the canopy and pushing 500 PPFD at 65% power.

If I could express how stupid I feel for punching a big ass hole in the tent today...

Thankfully, @420 has officially licensed tent repair kits available!

Settle down 420 comrades...it is just a sticker. Don't go ape$#!+ thinking there's a new product you don't have...easy...

Family After & Before

From Back to Front
#9 Before

#9 After - Topped, Pinched, Added wire and pulled lower canopy branches down

#7 Before

#7 After - topped, super cropped, pinched, and manually pulled

#3 - Didn't do too much with her. Added a couple wires and pulled branches out.

#1 - Added some wires and pulled out some more branches.

Thanks for stopping by everyone. Greatly appreciate your insight and wisdom along the way. Blessings to everyone on this amazing Independence Day weekend. Be safe and enjoy some amazing medicine.

Last and certainly not least a huge Thank you to @Weed Seeds Express for the amazing genetics! Thanks to the @GeoFlora Nutrients team for stellar nutrients, @Sierra Natural Science for incredible pest control products, and to @DYNOMYCO for helping my ladies build strong root zones to help them recover quickly from just about anything I have done to them. Blessings to you all!!!

* UPDATE * f/ yesterday July 5
Snapped top 3+ nodes off #7

# 1 & 3 - VEG DAY 54 (5/12)
#1 - 6/3 topped | 6/20 pinched branch tops and FIMM attempts
# 7 & 9 - VEG DAY 50 (5/16)
#7 - 7/3 topped & super cropped & branches pinched |snapped off top at supercrop bend
#9 - 7/3 topped, bent, & branches pinched

Well, I went in yesterday to check in on the tent. I forgot to hold down the supercrop and it was upright already. I went to bend her back and I went a little too much and snapped the top 3+ nodes. Doooohhhh...

Quick group shot after I did some rebending and wiring. They were already pointing all up!

Decided to see if a can get it to root. I'm trying something a little different. In other horticultural circles, sphagnum moss is used to aid in root making. I mixed some of that with pumice and bark. I placed that inside this repurposed container. Prepared some soil and added some Earth Alive #soilactivator aaaaand we can't forget, @DYNOMYCO ! After that, prepped the cuttings by dipped them into some rooting powder using another repurposed container from a vape cartridge.

* UPDATE *

# 1 & 3 - VEG DAY 56 (5/12)
# 7 & 9 - VEG DAY 52 (5/16)
#7 - 7/3 topped & super cropped & branches pinched
#9 - 7/3 topped & bent & branches pinched

Well... anyone see a problem here?! YIKES! Not a huge deal thankfully but just a tad bit thirsty... just a tad! LOL

Curious if I let it get TOO dry which is not recommended by @GeoFlora Nutrients .

Wanted to post some quick pics of the ladies after a long day of soaking up the water from this morning. All perky like nothing ever happened! I did not give them a full drench though. Waiting for that to happen at the next topdress which will also be a transplant for #1 & #3 to the final containers. I think they are ready for it. I think I have waited too long in between pot sizes causing them to be on the smaller side. After they are all in the final containers and I have them shaped the way I like, I'm going to flip. Lots of tops are in development already with all the bending and pinching! Should make for a pretty canopy.

I also turned up the lights about 10%. I did not take a PPFD measurement. I walked away and got distracted and the lights turned off. I'll check that in the morning.

#1 looks much better! I added a couple wires and made adjustments to lower top branches.

#8 - Veg Day 47 - Raised Garden Bed

Official @420 Magazine Girl Scout Cookies Comparative Grow - Sponsored by: @Weed Seeds Express , @GeoFlora Nutrients , @DYNOMYCO , @Sierra Natural Science

She is starting to take off! Decided to go ahead and bend her backward facing north to open up the inner canopy nodes. That should also help the lower branches start stretching faster.

Plus...take a look at this masterpiece of a flower getting ready to bloom!

Back
Top Bottom