Simply amazing!!! Hehe props on your cultivation skills. Are these plants completely unsupported? No stakes or wires? Anything?!? LolThanks. It’s thanks to the sponsors really.
The pots you see there are 20 litre, so 5ish gallons?
I transplanted my last one, GSC #5, into a ten litre pot today and put her in the flower room.
At last! The countdown is on.
I pluck fans, then chop branches to trim, wash and hang. Then I strip flowers from stems after a drip dry and bag them in the fridge. Each bag gets 30 grams of wet flower. I lay them out flat with their ends tucked over and check them daily.
After a week in the fridge they take up less room...
In one of the bags today...
Some very pretty flowers.
And I took some of the smallest, driest pieces for a test drive.
Very satisfying flavours! More interesting at first blush than GSC #1 which I finished yesterday. She wasn’t a keeper. This one - mmm. We’ll see.
Today flowers in the fridge are beginning to feel crisp enough that I will start to transition them to jars tonight. I find a night spent in a sealed jar will draw more moisture from the stem and rehydrate the surface crispy bits. Then I use larger paper bags to store the flowers back in the fridge for another day. They will feel dry again, then they’ll likely test in the 60-70% RH range in the jar after that.
GSC #3 was topped once then trained.
GSC’s #4 and 5 were topped then tipped.
You can see where I snipped a branch that wasn’t going to make it to the canopy.
In the picture below you can see a knuckle in a branch. This is a HST technique. I’ll do this deliberately when supercropping or just to position a branch without too many nuisance training wires. The branch was crushed and twisted over a half inch or so. This to: reposition the growth tip in the canopy, slow growth in veg temporarily, produce larger flowers off the ‘knuckled’ branch.
And looking up again...
For branch structure based on the frame you were looking at.
The pointer below is to show that even the lowest branches on this one will be valuable parts of the overall canopy.
This is what these journals are for, BA. I appreciate your questions. If I were better at asking questions I would learn faster.
I appreciate the pics. The knuckles look so strong. Love it. I did some knarly bending and twisting in some outdoor plants this season. They didn't even seem to skip a beat honestly.
I read somewhere about knuckles from HST can become brittle? Have you experienced this? I personally have not. But I also may not know exactly what to look for. All I can attest to at this point in my experience is when I cause trauma to branch tissue, it hardens and becomes stronger. I equate it to our muscles when we work out and create microtears. Builds muscle. In their case, it builds denser branch tissues. I don't know if this causes brittleness later in flower though. I had to harvest fairly earlier than I would have liked.
Speaking of testers...I just tested some GSC from my first harvest! Yuuuum...and I'm baked! Slouched and melting in my couch right now. Tension relief! I think I will be smashing most of it in the press.
Thanks again for the awesome pics and walk-through. I want to grow a plant like this and wrap my head around the process.