420 Magazine's Official Girl Scout Cookies Comparative Grow By Justin Goody

They both look much better to this untrained eye!
The runt is starting to un-runt herself. I'm pulling for the runt! :cheer:

I also subscribe to the longer solo cup idea. I find that with proper time in the solo cup, they fill the next pot with roots in just a couple of days.
Good to know.
With everything mentioned, I will wait a few more days at least. Probably about a week from today is sounding good- rather than doing it Monday.

I’m here! Ready to cheer :cheer: but I’m not queer.:high-five:

thanks for the tag Justin!!

hey @Trala i see you!! ;)
I’m here! ready to cheer :cheer:but I’m not queer... tho given the right amount of alcohol I can be ;)

I (tipsy) kissed a girl and I liked it, the taste of her cherry chapstick..

Hey @Backlipslide I see you too :kiss::kiss::kiss:

In normal red party cups, how would one know that they've gone too far with letting the roots proliferate? My little ones are in 1 quart (~1 liter) take out containers, completely transparent so I can see the roots but I can't see what's going on deeper inside. I'd like to try more intelligent up-potting this year. I think jumping from 1q pots to 20 gallon fabric pots might have slowed growth and made watering and nutrients in soil inefficient last summer.

Last summer I would have thought that impossible but here we are :p

Sorcery, I say!

In normal red party cups, how would one know that they've gone too far with letting the roots proliferate? My little ones are in 1 quart (~1 liter) take out containers, completely transparent so I can see the roots but I can't see what's going on deeper inside. I'd like to try more intelligent up-potting this year. I think jumping from 1q pots to 20 gallon fabric pots might have slowed growth and made watering and nutrients in soil inefficient last summer.

Last summer I would have thought that impossible but here we are :p

Sorcery, I say!
For me, uppotting at any stage is all about water usage over time. If and only if the plant can drain its present container in 24-36 hours the very first time, is it time to uppot. At this point the roots have hit their peak efficiency in that container, your buffer of several days between waterings is gone, and waiting any longer to uppot gives you diminishing returns on your investment of more time in that container... the water usage actually slows down.

For me, uppotting at any stage is all about water usage over time. If and only if the plant can drain its present container in 23-36 hours the very first time, is it time to uppot. At this point the roots have hit their peak efficiency in that container, your buffer of several days between waterings is gone, and waiting any longer to uppot gives you diminishing returns on your investment of more time in that container... the water usage actually slows down.
Thank you :green_heart:

Hopefully everyone is enjoying their weekend. These ladies are
35353294-0CCB-4641-89F2-72E801B5166E.jpeg
67FDE6E6-8B15-48A3-946D-7A67702754CF.jpeg

Happy to report that #1 is drying out her soil and asking for more water. #2 looks as good as she can and will make a recovery but likely be a week or so behind in transplant, and she’s finally drinking. I have to decide what container/nutes she’s going into because she may end up outside if the weather warms up enough by April.

Hopefully everyone is enjoying their weekend. These ladies are
35353294-0CCB-4641-89F2-72E801B5166E.jpeg
67FDE6E6-8B15-48A3-946D-7A67702754CF.jpeg

Happy to report that #1 is drying out her soil and asking for more water. #2 looks as good as she can and will make a recovery but likely be a week or so behind in transplant, and she’s finally drinking. I have to decide what container/nutes she’s going into because she may end up outside if the weather warms up enough by April.
Looking good bro

For me, uppotting at any stage is all about water usage over time. If and only if the plant can drain its present container in 24-36 hours the very first time, is it time to uppot. At this point the roots have hit their peak efficiency in that container, your buffer of several days between waterings is gone, and waiting any longer to uppot gives you diminishing returns on your investment of more time in that container... the water usage actually slows down.
This begs the question; how long should a plant take to drain its container going into flower? If it’s already draining in 24-36 hours it’ll run into problems flowering in the same container right?

This begs the question; how long should a plant take to drain its container going into flower? If it’s already draining in 24-36 hours it’ll run into problems flowering in the same container right?
Absolutely... if it is already draining the container in a day, you have just hit the point of diminishing returns in that container, meaning if the roots get any thicker they start getting in each other's way and everything starts to suffer. I would move to the new larger container, delay bloom for 1 week, and then hit go, knowing that during the initial two weeks of bloom, the time of transition and stretch, the roots are still growing too. You will easily grow into the larger pot (at least somewhat) before bloom, and would have run out of room in the smaller pot.

My Granddad taught me an important lesson about closed containers. Going into bloom your goal should be around a 3 day wet/dry cycle, no matter what size container you are in. Shorter than that, you are in too small of a container, and longer than that, your plant still has not filled the space with roots. He always said there were two types of gardeners, aggressive and relaxed. The relaxed gardener wants to sit in final containers that have a 3-5 day watering period... favoring the longer as the better. The relaxed gardener is perfectly content with idling along and letting the plant grow at its own pace. The aggressive farmer is just the opposite. She knows that the more often you can water, the more often the plant gets fed. She also knows that the plant with a 2-3 day watering period is going to get much larger volumes of water going into it over the long haul, helping it to grow even bigger.

My goal is to work the plant in veg (and very early bloom) so that it has achieved a 3 day wet/dry cycle in its final container. Then, when it can do at least that, I start bloom and I work those roots by shaving a day off of that 3 day wet/dry cycle. I force them into a 2 day watering cycle, not quite letting them go dry between most waterings, forcing them to use more water. Then, to get oxygen down to the lower and central roots to give them a break from all the water, I let them go dry about every 4th watering by waiting an extra day, going back to the original 3 day wet/dry period. Then, roots re-energized it is back to forcing water every 2 days... the more water, the more weight that develops on the plant. It turns out, my Granddad raised me to be one of those aggressive gardeners.

Big girl is pushing out node 4 right now, so she should be good to go into her new pot later this week. And she’s looking nice and green.
C2BDE993-0730-4C7E-8EDD-2B977FB5471D.jpeg

Mutant sis is doing a bit better than @Carcass version, but way behind. She will be a tree outside ;)

do an advanced search on my threads for the words discount code... you should find more than one.

Why aren't discount codes posted in 420 Sponsors Discounts area? That's where I always look for them (but rarely find them:hmmmm:).

I hear that, certain ones are harder to deal with the loss for sure. Especially when you only have one left...

I know this isn't what you mean but I have 2 Devil's Carnival seeds that were gifted me but I don't feel qualified enough as a gardener to try growing them yet. I may try them Summer 2022. :hmmmm:

It's on now!
Who wants to join in on this grow with us?
Please visit this link to be considered.

I was very tempted to join you on this grow as I :love: Girl Scout Cookies. Last summer, I grew them and am planning on growing them again this summer. But I already have my summer grow planned and I already have 9 Girl Scout Cookies seeds from a non-sponsor so I decided not to. And, besides that, most of the products I'm using aren't from sponsors as I'm still learning. So, that is why I didn't.

:ciao: Justin. I'd like to follow your grow journal if that's okay with you. :battingeyelashes:

Hi @Trala ! (just thought I would mention you!)

It looks happier, I will give it that. This whole way of working this HP is contrary to how I water with a strong wet/dry cycle though... you keep it wetter than I do... and it is my belief that this is what is causing the "wrinkles"... but what you are doing seems to be working for you and I don't want to criticize. :Namaste:

As far as roots trying to find their way out indicating the need to uppot... this too is not something that I subscribe to. I start out and stay for a good long while in a small cup, in order to form a rootball in the constricted space... you are racing for the next pot size... again, not exactly how I do things, but this is your party and I am here to observe, not rock the boat. You asked for a good reason though, so I will give you one. Your plant can not yet drain that cup of all the water in there in 24-36 hours, so the roots still have a ways to go before they are strong enough to justify the need for a larger container. Moving her now will not make a strong rootball with lateral growth all through the container... you will end with a skinny root system that ends up mostly going up and down in the center of the next container with almost no lateral growth to the sides. The plant doesn't form an actual rootball unless you constrict her and make her do it. Staying in that solo cup until she shows you she has strong roots all through that cup is not going to hurt a thing. It may seem shocking to some of you, but I stay in the solo cup almost every time, all the way to the 5th node popping up, and it really seems to make the plants a lot stronger at the next stage to come out of the starting container with an actual root ball.

This is all very interesting information. I've bookmarked it but was wondering if all of the information that you've shared on this thread was covered in your watering tutorials, which I'm planning on checking out tomorrow when I'm not so high. :cheesygrinsmiley:

:thanks: Emilya.

Why aren't discount codes posted in 420 Sponsors Discounts area? That's where I always look for them (but rarely find them:hmmmm:).

I know this isn't what you mean but I have 2 Devil's Carnival seeds that were gifted me but I don't feel qualified enough as a gardener to try growing them yet. I may try them Summer 2022. :hmmmm:

I was very tempted to join you on this grow as I :love: Girl Scout Cookies. Last summer, I grew them and am planning on growing them again this summer. But I already have my summer grow planned and I already have 9 Girl Scout Cookies seeds from a non-sponsor so I decided not to. And, besides that, most of the products I'm using aren't from sponsors as I'm still learning. So, that is why I didn't.

:ciao: Justin. I'd like to follow your grow journal if that's okay with you. :battingeyelashes:

This is all very interesting information. I've bookmarked it but was wondering if all of the information that you've shared on this thread was covered in your watering tutorials, which I'm planning on checking out tomorrow when I'm not so high. :cheesygrinsmiley:

:thanks: Emilya.
Of course, glad to have you here!

Woke up this morning to bone dry and almost saggy.
33601A6E-7683-4533-B66B-99DEA6D226A8.jpeg
That’s what we wanted, but I didn’t think it would happen so quickly. The humidity has dropped here and it really did a number in all my pots. This one will be perked up in a few hours, at least we know she likes to drink!

Back
Top Bottom