420's Soil Purple Kush Journal

Wow so 24 inches sound good? And does the 50 watt per sq foot apply to the 300 or the 136 in this case? Why is it labeled as 300 watts if that's not the case, that's frustrating hahaha. I had another light I was going to turn on during vegging as well

LED lights are labeled according to the maximum wattage of the LEDs themselves. Yours has 60 LEDs rated for 5 watts max, so "300 watts," but they are wisely running them at only 45% of max. It's confusing and kind of feels like false advertising, but that's how it's done.

Bear in mind that there is a big difference between enough light to grow a pretty plant and enough light to make big frosty buds.

LED lights are labeled according to the maximum wattage of the LEDs themselves. Yours has 60 LEDs rated for 5 watts max, so "300 watts," but they are wisely running them at only 45% of max. It's confusing and kind of feels like false advertising, but that's how it's done.

Bear in mind that there is a big difference between enough light to grow a pretty plant and enough light to make big frosty buds.

I want the big frosty buds tho! Ahhh lol. So do I need more than 2 lights now? Seems like overkill but whatever it takes.

I want the big frosty buds tho! Ahhh lol. So do I need more than 2 lights now? Seems like overkill but whatever it takes.

2 of those lights in that space would definitely be better. Your plants will thank you for it 100%

I had about 200 watts on 3 square feet and had a great outcome. Two of your 136-watt units would be about the same over four square feet (although the lighting gurus cringe when you talk about watts per square foot). The investment would pay for itself in improved quality in just one grow.

I had about 200 watts on 3 square feet and had a great outcome. Two of your 136-watt units would be about the same over four square feet (although the lighting gurus cringe when you talk about watts per square foot). The investment would pay for itself in improved quality in just one grow.

I'm thinking about turning it on once I start up the nutes. Still not exactly sure when I'm going to do that but right now my plan is to wait until I start topping.

New update
IMG_52739.JPG
IMG_52789.JPG
IMG_527410.JPG
IMG_52767.JPG

High BF,

The good news is, you have plenty of room for more dirt to sure them up. Or mulch, even. Just tossing ideas. Looks like they'll be fine!

Yeah, still pretty spindly but arms raised to the heavens like that is a very good sign.

That's good to hear however I'm starting to worry for the more spindly one. I'll upload photos of them both but if you look at the spindly one, it has some red dots and is a little more droopy. Ready for nutes? Or is it something else? Also, how do you guys set up your lights lifting wise. I use a Pulley and rope that I tie off and it's a little difficult to keep it 24 inches above. I measured and it was 23 inches (plants grew) so I tried to raise it an inch and a half and now it's at 27 inches above. I'm sure it's no big deal but I was just wondering if there is a more efficient way of doing this

IMG_52908.JPG
IMG_52899.JPG
IMG_528814.JPG
IMG_528710.JPG

Photos with just white light work best, especially for evaluating plants.

For lights, I use iPower 1/8 Inch 8-Feet Long Heavy Duty Adjustable Rope Clip Hanger, 150lb Capacity that I got from Amazon.

Those spots could be a sign of a deficiency, but it's way too early for good soil to be giving out. I'd just keep an eye on the new growth.

Maybe move that light a little closer now?

Photos with just white light work best, especially for evaluating plants.

For lights, I use iPower 1/8 Inch 8-Feet Long Heavy Duty Adjustable Rope Clip Hanger, 150lb Capacity that I got from Amazon.

Those spots could be a sign of a deficiency, but it's way too early for good soil to be giving out. I'd just keep an eye on the new growth.

Maybe move that light a little closer now?

I'll check those out thank you! And ok, I'll keep the pics coming about every day just in case it changes for the worse. White light only now haha. And closer than 24 inches or 27? Instructions that came with the light said keep it at 24 for vegetation

Yeah, my dinky little LED 9-watt LED lamp said to keep it 18" away and I ended up having it just 4 or 5 inches away.

I'd try it at 18" and see how it does, watching the new growth carefully for any sign of leaf curling or other stress. 136 watts isn't that much. You do want it as close as you can. And do remember that the light is much more intense in the center of the footprint than at the edges. That's where you want to be the most careful--in the center of the beam.

Yeah, my dinky little LED 9-watt LED lamp said to keep it 18" away and I ended up having it just 4 or 5 inches away.

I'd try it at 18" and see how it does, watching the new growth carefully for any sign of leaf curling or other stress. 136 watts isn't that much. You do want it as close as you can. And do remember that the light is much more intense in the center of the footprint than at the edges. That's where you want to be the most careful--in the center of the beam.

I put it at 22" just to be on the safe side. As promised, here's the white light photos

IMG_532810.JPG
IMG_529812.JPG
IMG_533110.JPG
IMG_532712.JPG
IMG_533212.JPG

The plant with the reddish/orange spots also has very light green (lime green) coloration. I'm hoping there's nothing wrong there

The plant with the reddish/orange spots also has very light green (lime green) coloration. I'm hoping there's nothing wrong there

I went back to your first post to see what kind of soil you're using and I see it's Happy Frog which is a name brand, so not to worry there, but that light coloration does concern me. Sometimes new growth can be light (in my not-that-broad experience), especially when you're transitioning to flowering, but I'm thinking chlorosis--a lack of chlorophyll usually caused by a lack of nitrogen. But how could the be with good fresh soil?

A couple of days will tell...

I went back to your first post to see what kind of soil you're using and I see it's Happy Frog which is a name brand, so not to worry there, but that light coloration does concern me. Sometimes new growth can be light (in my not-that-broad experience), especially when you're transitioning to flowering, but I'm thinking chlorosis--a lack of chlorophyll usually caused by a lack of nitrogen. But how could the be with good fresh soil?

A couple of days will tell...

That's what I was thinking as well. I read up that it could be a Misbalanced pH but that wouldn't make sense because the other plant isn't discolored and I carefully make sure that it's 6.5 always. I also have been watering them both the same amount At the same time and they are both roughly in the same position under the light. Really not sure what it could be.

Well there can definitely be variation between plants, even ones from the same mother plant.

Personally, I think the effects of pH tend to be overstated, especially when modern, commercial fertilizers are in use, which are formulated to be effective over a broad range of pHs.

Back
Top Bottom