420's Soil Purple Kush Journal

Sounds like you have to get that filter/fan up to the top so you're exhausting hot air out the top. That's what you always see in the photos or tents. Must be for a reason. ;)

Honestly I'm not too confident that would make a 10 degree difference. I think the reflective material is what's causing the increase in heat. But maybe I just tell myself that because my tent will probably not be strong enough to support the heavy carbon filter and intake fan lol.

You can heat a small camping tent with just a candle, which is to say that heat builds up very quickly in a confined space!

Create a large opening in the bottom to let in cold air and a large opening in the top to exhaust hot air and just passive convection will lower the temperature a lot. Add a fan at the inlet and/or outlet and temperature will fall a lot. It's really just that simple. (And it's NOT the reflective coating. ;))

You can heat a small camping tent with just a candle, which is to say that heat builds up very quickly in a confined space!

Create a large opening in the bottom to let in cold air and a large opening in the top to exhaust hot air and just passive convection will lower the temperature a lot. Add a fan at the inlet and/or outlet and temperature will fall a lot. It's really just that simple. (And it's NOT the reflective coating. ;))

So If I were to put a fan on the outside of the tent right in front of a hole on the bottom (blowing air in) and then I opened a hole on the top part of the tent, it would cool it down? Right now I have the holes opened however I don't have a fan blowing in from the outside. Seems like a good idea though.

So If I were to put a fan on the outside of the tent right in front of a hole on the bottom (blowing air in) and then I opened a hole on the top part of the tent, it would cool it down? Right now I have the holes opened however I don't have a fan blowing in from the outside. Seems like a good idea though.

Forced airflow should definitely help a lot! You can add HVAC technician to your list of skills. ;)

Forced airflow should definitely help a lot! You can add HVAC technician to your list of skills. ;)

It dropped 4 degrees. Now it's 84. Maybe I need a bigger fan? Lol. Also I might have given the plant a bit of nute burn. Tips look slightly tinged. The healthier plant still looks decently healthy. Other plant looks skinny and like it's struggling (spotting is getting worse and one of the first true leaves looks to be nearly dead).

More CFM should lower the temp further. Putting an evaporative cooler element in line with the air flow will cool it more.

Nute burn shows up as a tiny bit of yellowing at the very tips at first and gets worse. Somehow I suspect that that's not your problem at this point, though. I'm hoping that your babies stop crawling and start running soon. ;)

More CFM should lower the temp further. Putting an evaporative cooler element in line with the air flow will cool it more.

Nute burn shows up as a tiny bit of yellowing at the very tips at first and gets worse. Somehow I suspect that that's not your problem at this point, though. I'm hoping that your babies stop crawling and start running soon. ;)

IMG_53819.JPG
IMG_537811.JPG
IMG_53778.JPG
IMG_537610.JPG

Spindly plant has a leaf that's now shriveled up. Both plants seem to have not been growing fast or much at all. Healthier one looks like it's leaves all curl/droop down.

Something is wrong.

All I can guess now is that maybe the soil is too wet and/or not draining properly or something.

Cannabis plants snap back really quickly when something that's wrong is corrected, and that one really doesn't look any better. :(

Get temps to 80, keep fan on plants 24/7 and let the soil dry out would be my advice. Once you see the purple disappearing from the stem then you know things are getting better. Also, I can't remember your light schedule ATM but I'd suggest you let the plants sleep for a good 6 hours per day until things are better.

Scientific, may I ask you a question?... My auto is just beginning to flower. When exactly do you think I should switch to flower bulbs? I'm using CFLs/leds . should I wait a bit, gradually add flower bulbs or go 80-90% flower bulbs now? I have a couple branches still trying to rise from the deep. I lst'd.

Scientific, may I ask you a question?... My auto is just beginning to flower. When exactly do you think I should switch to flower bulbs? I'm using CFLs/leds . should I wait a bit, gradually add flower bulbs or go 80-90% flower bulbs now? I have a couple branches still trying to rise from the deep. I lst'd.

Hi elcheapo--Just FYI, when you get to 50 posts you can start sending private messages. You're almost there! ;)

My guru Nebula Haze (Google her) says that exact spectrum doesn't matter as much as quantity of light. (For example, people grow from beginning to end with metal halide and HPS bulbs, which have very different color light, and both work fine.)

To answer your question, in my opinion, as soon as your auto starts to flower at about three weeks from seed or so, it's flowering! So make whatever adjustments you want to make for flowering now.

Something is wrong.

All I can guess now is that maybe the soil is too wet and/or not draining properly or something.

Cannabis plants snap back really quickly when something that's wrong is connected, and that one really doesn't look any better. :(

I think it's a combination of high heat and the soil being too wet. The runoff is still there from the previous day so I'm going drain it and start waiting a little bit more long in between waterings. I'm really worried though because they aren't able to fully support themselves much anymore. (The spindly one leans and the healthier one bends all the way down to the soil unless supported :( ). Hoping I can fix them. And @elcheapo I brought the temp down to 82. I'm trying to borrow a larger fan from a friend to see if that helps at all.

Next grow you might want to add 20% perlite to help the drainage.

The rule I have seen for soil is to let it dry out "one knuckle deep" between waterings.

You know, those leaves do kind of look like the leaves of an overwatered plant (kinda droopy).

Agreed. I dried out the saucers and I don't think I'll water today at all. By one knuckle down, do you mean where your finger meets your hand or the first split in bones shortly below the fingernail? I've been watering it for the latter and I'm thinking I should have been waiting to water until it's a whole finger deep. Because otherwise, I don't see how I could have overwatered? The pots are plastic so maybe that hasn't allowed enough oxygen but idk if that's the problem either considering this soil is pretty loose and never drenched with water for two long. When I watered the seedlings I would use a medium cardboard cup with maybe a hundred pin-poked holes so that the water would drip and I only used like a quarter of the cup then I wouldn't water until soil was dry and then repeat. Hard to believe that was overwatering but what do I know

Update on the temp. I have a larger fan now that brought it down to 81. Still too high for my liking. I can turn the fan to a higher setting but it's already pretty high; I'm afraid It would be too much.

Too much fan will dry out the leaves. It's pretty easy to see. They kind of curl. 81 seems like it's in the upper range of OK.

1 knuckle deep = let it dry about an inch down or so.

Back
Top Bottom