420's Soil Purple Kush Journal

Too much fan will dry out the leaves. It's pretty easy to see. They kind of curl. 81 seems like it's in the upper range of OK.

1 knuckle deep = let it dry about an inch down or so.

I was worried about that, the humidity is about 39-41%. Feel like I can't win haha. Im wondering if I should just turn off one of the lights. I've read purple kush thrives a little better in colder temps (75 degree area). As far as the watering, that's how I watered so I really don't understand what I did wrong. But at the same time the plants look overwatered. Kind of frustrating. It really is a learning process I guess but I wish I could do something to save the little babies. I know something's wrong though because they were starting to grow fast and now it seems to be at a stand still. I'm thinking about giving a little cali mag. Thinking maybe that might help but I wanted to wait until the next feeding however I'm not sure waiting is the best idea

Definitely giving cali mag today. If this doesn't work I'm going to start worrying it has root rot. However when I was digging through the soil to see how far down was dry, I noticed some white roots (hard to tell with the dirt but there definitely was a few). Do you suggest me taking down the other light?

Well they're small enough so that even just a CFL would be enough at this point...

Moved it down to one light and temperature is 75 no light 79 with light. I'm satisfied. I think the cali mag helped because growth started bac up! Plants are still droopy but I'm staying positive
IMG_538911.JPG
IMG_538816.JPG
IMG_538711.JPG
IMG_538616.JPG

Hmmm. I really doubt that it was Ca/Mg, but maybe you're right. In any case, I'm happy to see it looking better!

Do you think some roots are rotted then? Because I was reading up and the symptoms for overwatered plants that got root rot are actually very similar to calcium, magnesium and iron deficiencies. I'm sure heat stress had a roll to play but I doubt that was the only issue. Also, I still have the cali mag / water mixture left over , would it hurt to use that again in my next watering? Or would it be a good way to fully ensure the plant doesn't have further deficiencies? I don't want to cause toxicity obviously though.

I would let the plant chill for 3-4 days. No water, one light. Keep fan on plant. Once the stem thickens the sky's the limit.

Ok cool. I was thinking about turning the big fan on the outside off (not the small one blowing on the plants, the one circulating air in). The leaves are very dry. Either that or trying to mist water on the leaves or something. And 3-4 days seems like a while, I've noticed that the soil dries about and inch and a half deep every day. I'll take your word for it though because they do seem overwatered, and I'm scheduled to feed them in 3 days on Saturday anyways.

Tbh I have zero experience with coco but I'm pretty sure there's lots of wet material below 1 inch of dry. IMO, I'm thinking your roots are weak. They get tons of water up top so don't need to grow deep. By letting the soil dry the roots will dig deep in order to find moisture. Once a nice mass of roots take hold its boom time.

Edit: And the next time you water try this... Imagine a cylinder the same size of the plant. Same height and circumference. Then water the exact same area of the cylinder. Use the cylinder method until the plant grows bigger and stronger.

I was thinking about turning the big fan on the outside off (not the small one blowing on the plants, the one circulating air in). The leaves are very dry.

I remember that happening. Guru nebula talks about wind burn or wind something--that the leaves just can't handle being blasted all the time and dry out. If you can just divert the flow away some that helps. I think someone said something like "You want leaves dancing lightly in the breeze, not blowing in a hurricane."

Tbh I have zero experience with coco but I'm pretty sure there's lots of wet material below 1 inch of dry. IMO, I'm thinking your roots are weak. They get tons of water up top so don't need to grow deep. By letting the soil dry the roots will dig deep in order to find moisture. Once a nice mass of roots take hold its boom time.

Edit: And the next time you water try this... Imagine a cylinder the same size of the plant. Same height and circumference. Then water the exact same area of the cylinder. Use the cylinder method until the plant grows bigger and stronger.

Not coco, I'm growing in happy frog soil. And that's actually makes a lot of sense, definitely going to do that! And in the beginning I applied the cylinder method, only recently started expanding but I'll go back

Ah you're using soil. So am I ;) I'm about to write up a journal entry for this evening that will include tips for new growers or anyone really. I'm a noob myself but have learnt a lot over the last couple of months. Also, observations I have made during this, my first grow, have made a lot of the info I have gathered make sense. You can also see pictures of the plants and the results of my methods. Stop by and check it out if you'd like. I'm growing a northern lights 36 days and a critical purple 22 days. Both autos. I also have a unknown that has been to hell and back numerous times and is now beginning to grow beautifully. Epic story with this plant... Anyways good luck man! I'll come back later and give more of my opinion regarding your grow. You'll have nice plants soon.

One tip I'll give now is you may be able to do whole without nutes using soil. You 100% DO NOT need to give nutes for weeks/months if you do. I might not use nutes at all for my grow.

Sorry for the late reply! Did what you said and it seemed to work a lot. Waited until Saturday and fed the nutes and I won't water again until Tuesday the earliest. Plants seem to have gotten bigger much quicker and the stems are definitely slightly thicker. We'll have to wait and hope they continue to improve! New nodes are growing fast so I have high hopes. After these baby nodes grow big and new nodes come I think I'll start topping.
IMG_540111.JPG
IMG_540014.JPG

topping of autos will stunt the plants growth. Ultimately resulting in a small to no yield.

Actually, I think that notion has pretty much been disproven. For example, I topped the dwarf auto I grew on my deck last summer and it immediately shot out eight nice colas! Big success. IMHO and FWIW, you can and even should top autos.

But this ain't an auto grow so back to the world of photoperiod plants. ;)

Snipping node 6 at 21 days
2017-06-19_Day_20_1100_Topping_005.JPG

Back
Top Bottom