420's Soil Purple Kush Journal

So this morning when I checked on it, there was a small patch of white/grey mold (about 1/8 of the pot). I destroyed it and removed that soil. Humidity was at 65% so I turned on the carbon filter (temporarily until I can get a dehumidifier). Should I be concerned? What can I do?

On a side note, plants also are starting to smell dank.

> plants also are starting to smell dank.
Already? Wow.

I wouldn't worry too much about the mold itself (fungus is part of the natural environment--people even get mushrooms growing in their pots sometimes...) but as I think you figured, it does probably betoken humidity that is a little too high and that your air circulation could be better (to help dry out the top layer). Also, mold usually doesn't do very well in bright light, so...(?)

> plants also are starting to smell dank.
Already? Wow.

I wouldn't worry too much about the mold itself (fungus is part of the natural environment--people even get mushrooms growing in their pots sometimes...) but as I think you figured, it does probably betoken humidity that is a little too high and that your air circulation could be better (to help dry out the top layer). Also, mold usually doesn't do very well in bright light, so...(?)

Hm I was really worried too, thought mold was a deal breaker. good to know. And yeah, when I lean in towards the plant it smells like dank bud. I thought it was the flowers that smell so I'm just as surprised. And the lights the closest it's been so idk if lack of light is the issue probably just prolonged exposure to a humid environment

Hm I was really worried too, thought mold was a deal breaker. good to know.

Definitely not a deal breaker. If anything, it means you're using a really rich soil with lots of organic material.

Hey, in future updates, it would be helpful to know how many days from seed they are (or how many days above ground if that's your preferred way of tracking), like "Day 23."

Definitely not a deal breaker. If anything, it means you're using a really rich soil with lots of organic material.

Hey, in future updates, it would be helpful to know how many days from seed they are (or how many days above ground if that's your preferred way of tracking), like "Day 23."

Good to know. And honestly (I can't believe I forgot this) I can't remember when it exactly sprouted. My guess is about 3 1/2 weeks ago. It's on it's 3rd set of true leaves I believe. I'm a little worried. This morning I checked and there's a lot more orange spots along with the seedling leaves orangish and blotchy. The healthier plant also has a few orangish spots now as well. I will update with a white light photo tonight. Maybe it's time for nutes?

Photos are good. ;)

Here's photos as promised. The seedling leaves have shriveled up on both plants. The healthier ones leaves look a little droopy. Spots have definitely increased.

IMG_53498.JPG
IMG_534812.JPG
IMG_53479.JPG
IMG_53468.JPG
IMG_53458.JPG

Also I have a question for when I start up the nutrients. I'm going to be making the nutrient cocktail in a one gallon jug. How much of the jug should I put in each plant (5 gallon pots)? Do I have to put an entire gallon in each plant? Or does GH just have you measure per gallon to get the consistency right? Confused on how to do this

Your plants don't have the hangdog look of overwatered plants. Just be sure to let the soil dry out around the plant (knuckle-deep, I have been told) between waterings and you should be good on that front.

Why do you think the leaves are spotting orange and brown and the seedling leaves are shriveling ? Also I have a question for when I start up the nutrients. I'm going to be making the nutrient cocktail in a one gallon jug. How much of the jug should I put in each plant (5 gallon pots)? Do I have to put an entire gallon in each plant? Or does GH just have you measure per gallon to get the consistency right? Confused on how to do this

Why do you think the leaves are spotting orange and brown and the seedling leaves are shriveling ? Also I have a question for when I start up the nutrients. I'm going to be making the nutrient cocktail in a one gallon jug. How much of the jug should I put in each plant (5 gallon pots)? Do I have to put an entire gallon in each plant? Or does GH just have you measure per gallon to get the consistency right? Confused on how to do this

Measuring per gallon is just because they have to give some kind of ratio.

Watering to the point that some starts to run off tells you that you've soaked all the soil. (It also gives you some runoff to test if that's your thing.)

Do please mix the nutes at 1/2 manufacturer's recommended strength at first. They all seem to tell you to use too much.

Maybe some nutes could help with your symptoms if they are some kind of deficiency.

The seedling leaves (cotyledons) shriveling is normal at this age. They always do.

Do pay careful attention to how they respond and keep careful notes. That can really help both now and with future grows.

Measuring per gallon is just because they have to give some kind of ratio.

Watering to the point that some starts to run off tells you that you've soaked all the soil. (It also gives you some runoff to test if that's your thing.)

Do please mix the nutes at 1/2 manufacturer's recommended strength at first. They all seem to tell you to use too much.

Maybe some nutes could help with your symptoms if they are some kind of deficiency.

The seedling leaves (cotyledons) shriveling is normal at this age. They always do.

Do pay careful attention to how they respond and keep careful notes. That can really help both now and with future grows.

Ok I'll start using nutes tn or tm then! Temperature in tent has gone up significantly since I added in the extra light. I have a mini fan blowing on the plants to strengthen the stems but it doesn't seem like it's bringing down the temp. What can I do? Should I raise the lights? (Thermometer is near plant canopy). And by runoff, do you mean when water comes through the bottom of the pot?

Ok I'll start using nutes tn or tm then! Temperature in tent has gone up significantly since I added in the extra light. I have a mini fan blowing on the plants to strengthen the stems but it doesn't seem like it's bringing down the temp. What can I do? Should I raise the lights? (Thermometer is near plant canopy). And by runoff, do you mean when water comes through the bottom of the pot?

If tent temp is getting too high, you'll have to increase circulation through the tent, no?

Yes, runoff is the water that drains out the bottom.

If tent temp is getting too high, you'll have to increase circulation through the tent, no?

Yes, runoff is the water that drains out the bottom.

Makes sense. I turned on the carbon filter I'm hoping that helped with circulation. Going to check now. about to do my first feeding as well!

It's still 88 degrees :(. Not sure what I can do. Not sure I can have 2 lights running. I'm pretty surprised that one more light increased the temp from 78 to 88. I opened up more parts of the tent but I'm not sure that's helping at all

Sounds like you just need more air exchange. Cold air in at the bottom, hot air out at the top!

Sounds like you just need more air exchange. Cold air in at the bottom, hot air out at the top!

How can I do this? I have my carbon filter on the floor (supported off the floor). Because I didn't have anything to hang it properly, and I'm not sure my tent could support it's weight along with the lights. I opened up the window to allow cool air in but there's got to be a better solution. Not sure a bigger fan would work. Just fed the plants until there was about 20% runoff of what I fed. Roughly two medium size cups each. I'm surprised there's that much runoff off of two cups honestly. But yeah, definitely got to figure out the temp situation otherwise I'm going to have to sacrifice a light because I don't see the plants surviving the heat stress of 88 degrees.

Sounds like you have to get that filter/fan up to the top so you're exhausting hot air out the top. That's what you always see in the photos or tents. Must be for a reason. ;)

Back
Top Bottom