600W LED vs. 600W HPS by Be Irie

re: 420 Consumer Reports Competition - GrowLEDHydro's 600W LED vs. 600W HPS by Be Irie

So a quick boring veg update, and yes, questions are welcome...
The clones are 6 days into soil, and will be transplanted to two gallon containers here soon. The Led tent is staying around 80deg. The light is 26" off the tops of the plants. The plants are liking this light. They are looking happier and happier every day...
I was going to try to leave the glass off of the HPS, but temps are not going to allow me to do that. Temps were getting in to the mid 80's and wanting to go higher.. The glass and duct work will be in place tomorrow... A window AC unit is now on the "to get" list.. With the venting and AC, I should be able to keep it in the low-mid 70's....
Pics taken a few days ago....
The LED plants 6 days in soil
DSC022082.JPG

HPS plants 6 days in soil
DSC02207.JPG

The LED light..
DSC022101.JPG

So a little more work to do on the ventillation and it should al be good in the hood.... :peace:

re: 420 Consumer Reports Competition - GrowLEDHydro's 600W LED vs. 600W HPS by Be Irie

Be Irie, I'll be watchin too I just ordered a new LED myself lets get growin guy !!

IRIE! I'm in...Can't wait to see the results! :popcorn:

How is the heat output on the LED compared to the HPS? Does it run much cooler?

:Rasta::peacetwo::Rasta:

The LED was way warmer then I had anticipated... I leave the flaps open on the tents and have exhaust fans in both tents. If possible I always try to run my HIDS open and it is way hotter then the led. Once the glass is on it might be a different story.... I had a friend drop by tonight and he was quite impressed with how the LED plants looked... He is going to be babysitting when I go on vacation, so I am going to be getting him familiar with the LED's. Wish I could fast forward to flowering!!!!

May be a boring update for you, but the pics are worth gold to the forum. Thanks for all the updates Be IRIE. I know you get extremely busy.

Very Nice will be in to check up on this one for sure

Hi Be IRIE,

I have some questions and I know you could probable answer them all, But I have no problem is any of the other members watching can answer them.
I admit I am still in the newbie stage, but I am here to learn. So I am hoping you, or some of the expert growers can help me understand a Couple of things.

"1) LED Details.
[*]Approximate coverage Area of 5.5' x 4.5' and 4' x 3' core saturation.
[*]Running without glass shield in place
"

Questions
Core Saturation? Is this like the area for the most penetration area?

Running without the glass. I believe I was reading a journal, Irishboys (might be wrong, but it was someone here) led grow I think it was. I believe he broke the glass out and claimed the light was brighter with out it.
Is there away to test this with the glass on and off? I mean is it possible to do a lumen test with LED lights?

3) Strains - one clone of each type per tent
  • Subcool- Chernobyl
  • Subcool- Third Dimension
  • Private seed collection- OG Snocap
  • Mandala seeds- Satori
  • Indicas will be harvested individually when trichomes are approximately 50/50 amber/cloudy and Sativas when 25/75 cloudy/amber

Won't the Sativas take longer to grow and be bigger than the indicas? And what is OG Snocap? Sativa or Indicas

Like I said. Just an old newbie trying to learn.

nice be! And mike! And the 420peeps for doing all this! My 600 is on deck waiting to bat! Bright bastard huh!?!?!

Subbed-

Go-

LEDs direct their light based on the lens angle. Some light makers use 60 degree angle, some use 120. This particular light has 90 degree lenses.

The 60 degree provides more penetration less footprint just as the 120 provides more footprint and less penetration.

At the perimeter of the footprint - the light isn't delivering the maximum brightness - so the lights get rated with an area where the light delivers optimally (core saturation) and where it's still functional but at the edges (coverage area).

I'll try to dig up some pics where setting sun showed this effect on a different light.

The glass is present to prevent water splash damage to the lamps. It also protects the bulbs from being damaged by accidental touch/bump from the grower. It does however filter out some percentage of the available light (not sure how much ;))

OK, quick update time.....

The heat has been a bitch. We are close to 100 degrees today!!! No fun!!!
The tents and room are staying in the mid eighties. The clones were transplanted into one gal. containers. I have a few plants that are struggling and moving slower then they should be. I took some measurements of the little ones on 7/12
LED HPS
SnoCap 5" 6.5"
Chernobyl 4" 3.5"
3rd Dimension 4" 3"
Satori 4.5" 3"
The Flav (seed) 2.5 4"

The Snocap looks to be around 70/30 60/40 sat./ind.. She is growing like a sativa. All plants will be fully finished, different finishing times or not. There is a little story that is behind the SnoCap seed. I will get the details from the friend who gave it to me. Some pics from yesterday...
The HPS group
DSC02237.JPG

DSC022362.JPG

The LED group
DSC022472.JPG

DSC022463.JPG

:peace:

I didn't realize you were off-n-running Irie. So I'm reserving my seat now.

It doesn't really appear that either clearly have the advantage yet. Definitely excited to find out. I gotta say though, I'm a bit disappointed the LED still throws some decent heat.

The glass is present to prevent water splash damage to the lamps. It also protects the bulbs from being damaged by accidental touch/bump from the grower. It does however filter out some percentage of the available light (not sure how much ;))

glass transmits about 90% of available light over 350nm. That is why mirrors, don't perform as well as mylar or some of the other film that transmit 95%+, a glass mirror loses 10% as the light enters and 10% as it is reflected back.

Every little bit helps so it is always good to get rid of the glass unless it is part of the ventilation design of the lamp.

Hey irie i just found this grow this ought to be a good one. I do have one question and apologies if this has been explained or asked already. Since your are comparing the hid to the led. why have you chosen to veg with the hps instead of a mh? Considering cost of the led to the hid one could easily afford both bulbs. I know its all about flowering and both can veg just fine but i thought i would ask.

....It doesn't really appear that either clearly have the advantage yet. Definitely excited to find out. I gotta say though, I'm a bit disappointed the LED still throws some decent heat.

It all about finishing results, LED's get a bad wrap for not producing density. I think thats where we will all see a true comparison, but only time will tell. And I cant wait for that time. :yahoo:

Hey irie i just found this grow this ought to be a good one. I do have one question and apologies if this has been explained or asked already. Since your are comparing the hid to the led. why have you chosen to veg with the hps instead of a mh? Considering cost of the led to the hid one could easily afford both bulbs. I know its all about flowering and both can veg just fine but i thought i would ask.

Do they even make a 600w MH? ive never seen one. its been a while since ive used HID but last time i was they didnt have 600w mh

I use to veg with a 600w MH. The bulb actually came with my digital ballast, or electronic ballast is a better name for it. I have bought a few online but no longer veg with MH. Its all LED, I think the results are on the same of MH with half the juice used. Flower is a deferent story but for veg you can for sure get the same results using half the power. Entirely my opinion but I would never veg with anything other then LED from now on.

I cant not wait to see this grow unfold. I dont know where I have my money because I know the potential of both these lights and they are damn close but one has to be better....I cant wait to see :nicethread:

Love a LED comparison :)
:popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom