600W LED vs. 600W HPS by Be Irie

re: 420 Consumer Reports Competition - GrowLEDHydro's 600W LED vs. 600W HPS by Be Irie

It all about finishing results, LED's get a bad wrap for not producing density. I think thats where we will all see a true comparison, but only time will tell. And I cant wait for that time. :yahoo:

Huh, and here I thought LED was supposed to be the new big thing. Dang marketing. I was considering doing a LED down the road, so only time shall tell.

re: 420 Consumer Reports Competition - GrowLEDHydro's 600W LED vs. 600W HPS by Be Irie

I have been swapping around MH and HPS lights in veg and flower for awhile now and can say that there is not much of a difference between the two in veg.. The HPS grow a little bit taller/stretch... Yes, a hundred bones for a new bulb is not that much, but with the lack of funds on my side, if I bought that bulb I would not be able to afford food for a few days. My plants already eat better then I do!!! They get all the AC while I sweat my ass off.... It really won't make much of a difference... As for the glass, I want to use this just as it was sent to me straight out of the box.
The heat once again is going to be my biggest issue here for the next few months. I have been cycling the lights off times to late afternoon/early evening in hopes of relieving the afternoon high temps ( hit 91 in the LED tent and mid/high 90's in the HPS tent). I am still playing with the ventilation to get the right wind currents going in the grow area.....
Just want to say thanks guys for helping with all the technical stuff and thanks you all for the interest in this journal.... You guys and gals are the bestest....:tokin:

What are your outside temps there ? If your getting 90s with an LED it must be pretty hot where your at ?! We'r supposed to be in the 80-90 this wkend so I just hope I can keep the temps down here .. or I may need a room ac unit ! which I can't afford right now !!! damn it :peace:

We almost hit 100 yesterday and should be close to that again today. I live in a little 100 year old house that has no A/C and other 100 year old problems. I have a 9000 BTU portable A/C in my main flowering room 13'x5'x8' running 2,800 watts of HID.. The A/C does good until we hit the afternoon highs, then I have to start cycling the lights off time..... If I had a basement, it would be so different. I soooooooooooooooo can't wait for winter!!!!! :peace:

Do they even make a 600w MH? ive never seen one. its been a while since ive used HID but last time i was they didnt have 600w mh

I have a 600W MH from HTGsupply.com It is sunmaster beileve it puts out 50K Lumens.

We almost hit 100 yesterday and should be close to that again today. I live in a little 100 year old house that has no A/C and other 100 year old problems. I have a 9000 BTU portable A/C in my main flowering room 13'x5'x8' running 2,800 watts of HID.. The A/C does good until we hit the afternoon highs, then I have to start cycling the lights off time..... If I had a basement, it would be so different. I soooooooooooooooo can't wait for winter!!!!! :peace:

Ouch! I thought it was bad here. Wow, 2,800 watts. That just shames my little 392 watts of CFL. If I only could. :)

Good luck with the heat & try to stay cool Irie.

I have a 600W MH from HTGsupply.com It is sunmaster beileve it puts out 50K Lumens.

There are conversion MH bulbs for HPS ballasts too in the 600 watt version.

Re: 420 Consumer Reports Competition - GrowLEDHydro's 600W LED vs. 600W HPS by Be Iri

I know, I know and am sorry for the time between updates. I will get better here once things start moving.. Finally got a break from the heat today but it is supposed to be back tomorrow.
Tents are vented, added some more fans and the temps are staying in the mid to high 80's and sometimes dip into the 90's. I dropped the LED down to 20" off the canopy and the HPS is 28" off the canopy. The plants are moving along ( will get pics up soon). The HPS are watered every other day and the LED plants are about every 2-3 days.

To be fair... My heat problems would not probably be if I was just running the 600 watt LED and the 600 HPS.
The LED was warmer then I thought but it is much easier to cool then the HPS. The LED seems to heat up the air and not the area directly below the light as the HPS does. The vented hood helps a lot but I could get the LEDS a lot closer then the HID.. I will try to get some pics up tomorrow.... Gotta hit the hay, been a long day.... :yikes:

Re: 420 Consumer Reports Competition - GrowLEDHydro's 600W LED vs. 600W HPS by Be Iri

Hey Irie!

This may be a stupid question...but, do you think the LED girls need a little less watering because of the lower temp under the bulb and around the plants?

Probably doesn't make a difference, but I thought it was interesting that the LED girls needed a little less water in a similar environment to the HPS girls.

Anyway, Thanks for the updates. Can't wait to see how it all pans out!

:smokin:

:reading420magazine:

:goodluck:

I am watching too!!:allgood:

busy busy busy, sorry, no pics yet.....

Picked up a new A/C today, so hopefully I will be able to dial in this room. That gives me a 9,000 BTU for the flower and now a 12,000 BTU for the main room... I am hoping to be able to get the rooms down into the mid 70's...
A few of the plants are still struggling with heat and are growing slower then usual. One or two may not survive but only time will tell... The LED plants are about a day behind on the watering schedule. I have been misting and watering more then usual to help combat the heat... Maybe I will get lucky and the extra A/C will help some get better...
I am going on vacation for a bit and a friend will be handling the ladies.. I am going to try to talk him into updating ( he will probably do a better job then me). K, gotta go check temps........:peace:

Back
Top Bottom