A Lovely Lady And A Grumpy Old Man Growing In Newfoundland Fall 2023

Day 102

IMG_5536.jpeg

Day 112
Approx 7 weeks in flower.

Wow 112 days, crazy it’s been that long. Looks like it will be worth it. I hope she smokes as good as she looks. I checked the trichomes yesterday and there’s probably 15% amber, 50% clear and 35% cloudy. Almost there. Gave her a feeding 2 days ago with the full gamut of nutes and that could be the last one. Next watering is due to be plain water only, probably Friday and then I’m not sure after that. According to the schedule she’s on now that would mean her next watering/feeding would be Tuesday or Wednesday of next week. I’ll judge then how quickly she dries out and determine if it’s harvest time or if she needs more time and gets another feeding instead. Time will tell. The buds are stacking up very nicely but they still don’t look extremely dense. I am probably being too critical, most are certainly not airy but not as dense still as I would like. But maybe another week week to 10 days will take care of this problem. Fingers crossed.

IMG_5690.jpeg

IMG_5689.jpeg

Looking sharp! Still a lot of white pistils, and with 50% clear tricks I think waiting seems be the best plan. Do you usually harvest by trichs or drinking or some combination of factors?
Thanks for the advice. I think I’ll be waiting too. Probably another week, maybe more. I usually harvest by trichs. I do find that I’m prone to harvesting too soon and not letting enough amber trichomes show through. I’m going to wait this time as long as I can. I’ve never harvested a plant with mostly all amber trichomes so I’m gonna push this one.

Thanks for the advice. I think I’ll be waiting too. Probably another week, maybe more. I usually harvest by trichs. I do find that I’m prone to harvesting too soon and not letting enough amber trichomes show through. I’m going to wait this time as long as I can. I’ve never harvested a plant with mostly all amber trichomes so I’m gonna push this one.
I don't usually wait for amber, but I gave it a shot on one plant last year
Probably in a minority of 1 here, but I don't think it improved the smoke any, just a slightly heavier hit
The difference was barely noticeable though - to me

Probably in a minority of 1 here, but I don't think it improved the smoke any, just a slightly heavier hit
I have heard from a number of quality growers here that waiting for the clears to get cloudy is more important than watching for a certain percentage of amber. Since I do almost all my growing outside, clear/cloudy is all I'm looking for in trich color, along with a major slowdown in drinking and change in look/smell.

The sun will amber trichomes long before they would normally change indoors.

I have heard from a number of quality growers here that waiting for the clears to get cloudy is more important than watching for a certain percentage of amber. Since I do almost all my growing outside, clear/cloudy is all I'm looking for in trich color, along with a major slowdown in drinking and change in look/smell.

The sun will amber trichomes long before they would normally change indoors.
This is what I aim for too. But it seems like my buds tend to be on the airy side. I don’t usually get that nice firm nug, well some are but most aren’t. This is the only reason I am considering letting her go more amber, the hope being they get more dense. I usually chop when I have 50-60% cloudy/milky trichomes. In all reality I am most likely doing something else incorrectly to not get my buds as dense as I want them to be. This time I used more light intensity than I ever have and I also upped the nutes to see if this would help. So far it seems like it’s a possibility they are denser than previous grows but only time will tell. I do know what you mean about the smell changing though. When my sniffer is working right I can sometimes tell the change in the smell from day to day lol.

Cool thanks Roy. I’ve always thought more Amber is going to give you a more couch lock effect which is not what I’m looking for. This is why I tend to harvest when most of the trichomes are cloudy as I’m looking for that head high with energy and a nice buzz.

This is what I aim for too. But it seems like my buds tend to be on the airy side. I don’t usually get that nice firm nug, well some are but most aren’t. This is the only reason I am considering letting her go more amber, the hope being they get more dense. I usually chop when I have 50-60% cloudy/milky trichomes. In all reality I am most likely doing something else incorrectly to not get my buds as dense as I want them to be. This time I used more light intensity than I ever have and I also upped the nutes to see if this would help. So far it seems like it’s a possibility they are denser than previous grows but only time will tell. I do know what you mean about the smell changing though. When my sniffer is working right I can sometimes tell the change in the smell from day to day lol.
I grow mostly autos in tent - an observation:
I feed them what I think they will need in the next two weeks, so end of veg/early flower is max out on the nutes
Adding flower booster in week three of bloom [instead of week 5-6] makes for earlier budding which in turn gives them more time to nug up and finish nicely [imo]
Just Roy's wibbly-wobbly world of raking jelly up a slide :ganjamon:

I grow mostly autos in tent - an observation:
I feed them what I think they will need in the next two weeks, so end of veg/early flower is max out on the nutes
Adding flower booster in week three of bloom [instead of week 5-6] makes for earlier budding which in turn gives them more time to nug up and finish nicely [imo]
Just Roy's wibbly-wobbly world of raking jelly up a slide :ganjamon:
Nice that’s a great idea. I’ll try and remember it on my next run 🤙🏻
Thanks!

But it seems like my buds tend to be on the airy side. I don’t usually get that nice firm nug, well some are but most aren’t. This is the only reason I am considering letting her go more amber, the hope being they get more dense. I usually chop when I have 50-60% cloudy/milky trichomes. In all reality I am most likely doing something else incorrectly to not get my buds as dense as I want them to be. This time I used more light intensity than I ever have and I also upped the nutes to see if this would help.
I would say that healthy plants and more light would be the way to maximize the genetics, but some varieties are always going to be fluffier than others.

Do you control for temp and RH in there? That might help too if you can.

Back
Top Bottom