A Lovely Lady And A Grumpy Old Man Growing In Newfoundland Fall 2023

Looking good but I don't see any amber trichomes ?

Still mostly clear...

But I do see most of the pistils turning color, when they are all mostly reddish you should be in the window !

Cheers
You’re definitely right, I should’ve taken some pictures of the trichomes on the top buds. These pics are from lower down on the plant. The window is open! Just need to get through it now.

Day 134
Approaching week 11 of Flower

(Really need to learn how to start a poll :rolleyes: )

Help!

Over 4 months into this girl and I still don't think she's done. When I look at the Trichomes, there aren't really any clear ones remaining, they are all cloudy or amber. Now depending where you look there's more cloudy than amber at this point. Higher up on the plant there's more amber and then they get more cloudy the lower you go. If you only look at the Pistils, they are mostly orange and crinkly but there are still some white ones around and a new white pistil here and there shooting up. And if all this wasn't confusing enough when trying to determine if I should chop her yet or not, she's still drinking 5-6 Litres of water in her 5 gallon pot every 4-5 days. So obviously she's still growing. But if you look at the leaves, most are used up and have that burnt up and finished look to them, I don't know how much more photosynthesis she can possibly be doing as there's almost nowhere to be getting photosynthesis from as far as I can tell. I’ve tried to include some pics to give anyone interested a look at the Trichomes but the pics aren’t great. If you zoom in on the Trichomes you can see them better. I definitely need to get a microscope soon for this purpose. I would still appreciate everyone’s opinion on whether to chop or not from your experience. Please feel free to comment about any of it and ask anything.
Thanks!!
@cr8grow @greenmobster440 @StoneOtter @bluter @Ke0ncp
@InTheShed @Greenvein @Roy Growin
@Bill284 @Chuckeye @Carmen Ray
@Emilya Green @Melville Hobbes @Delps8

IMG_6046.jpeg

IMG_6131.jpeg

IMG_6139.jpeg

IMG_6149.jpeg

IMG_6153.jpeg

My helper was keeping a keen eye on the proceedings

IMG_6162.jpeg

Hi Charlie - I'd be thinking that's about done - so conventional wisdom is wait another week :rolleyes:

Mostly milky/some amber is good enough for me; I've waited on amber before and personally I don't think it improves the smoke/flavour/hit to any discernible degree
HTH :hookah:

I'm in the waiting camp, and even though you say there are loads of amber I don't see a single amber trich in your two pics! If you're seeing amber up top then maybe those pics are from lower down so you could always take the colas showing amber and leave the rest to ripen another week. LKABudman took his 4-plant DWC down over the course of three weeks starting late last year!

I'm in the waiting camp, and even though you say there are loads of amber I don't see a single amber trich in your two pics! If you're seeing amber up top then maybe those pics are from lower down so you could always take the colas showing amber and leave the rest to ripen another week. LKABudman took his 4-plant DWC down over the course of three weeks starting late last year!
Haha it’s nuts how I can’t get them to show. I’m using a cheap 25x clip on yo my cell phone contraption that’s not showing them :rolleyes:
When I use my lighted loupe I see them.

Question: on my last grow I ran into a similar situation where it seemed like the top colas were ready and the lower ones weren’t. Over the course of three or four days I cut off those top cola that were ready and left the rest for another two weeks approximately. What I found was in the buds that I left for the extra two weeks once I trimmed and dried them and went to put them in the grinder, seeds started falling out. I’ve ended up with about 50 seeds from the batch that I waited the extra two weeks on. Does this happen often in your opinion or was this a fluke? Is this something I need to be concerned about? Probably a dumb question but I’ve wondered ever since why in the world this happened.

I'd say it was a fluke since lots of folks do staggered harvests.

Were the seeds ripe? If they were it's unrelated to when you harvested because the pollination happened before the first harvest. That would indicate that the first ones you harvested were also pollinated but taken before the seeds had a chance to grow.

If they were unripe then the plant may have decided to throw out some nanners while you waited, which can happen to some varieties as they go longer and longer.

make sure you are looking at the trichs on the bud and not the sugar leaves.
i didn't see what the strain is. if you have a long running sativa it may take a while and the trichs may never really amber the same as a hybrid or indica.

if it's not desperate to push new pistils you're either close or in the window. you can afford to let it sit a wk if in doubt. if you are waiting for a final 2wk bid swell you've either hit it already or it's at the push now and the wk window will tell you one way or the other.

Question: on my last grow I ran into a similar situation where it seemed like the top colas were ready and the lower ones weren’t. Over the course of three or four days I cut off those top cola that were ready and left the rest for another two weeks approximately. What I found was in the buds that I left for the extra two weeks once I trimmed and dried them and went to put them in the grinder, seeds started falling out. I’ve ended up with about 50 seeds from the batch that I waited the extra two weeks on. Does this happen often in your opinion or was this a fluke? Is this something I need to be concerned about? Probably a dumb question but I’ve wondered ever since why in the world this happened.

sounds like they hermied. were they autos ?

Don't recall ever having a full on hermie, whenever the harvest
Mould [@Jon, we spell it correctly over here, actually] is a real menace uk, so good and early is my best shot
Never been disappointed [except sour diesel/NY diesel/SAGE which I just didn't like so I fed it to the fish in the river]

make sure you are looking at the trichs on the bud and not the sugar leaves.
i didn't see what the strain is. if you have a long running sativa it may take a while and the trichs may never really amber the same as a hybrid or indica.

if it's not desperate to push new pistils you're either close or in the window. you can afford to let it sit a wk if in doubt. if you are waiting for a final 2wk bid swell you've either hit it already or it's at the push now and the wk window will tell you one way or the other.

sounds like they hermied. were they autos ?
Yes they were in fact autos. Does that make a difference?

Don't recall ever having a full on hermie, whenever the harvest
Mould [@Jon, we spell it correctly over here, actually] is a real menace uk, so good and early is my best shot
Never been disappointed [except sour diesel/NY diesel/SAGE which I just didn't like so I fed it to the fish in the river]
hahahaha love the “correct” way to spell mould. It’s not only me :laugh:

I wish I could get my hands on some Sage n’ sour seeds!! Must be similar to what you tried. One of my favourite strains ever!!!

Yes they were in fact autos. Does that make a difference?

they are a lot more unstable and will almost always hermie 100 % if you leave them go too long.

Day 138

The top buds are finished. Chopped off most of her that was above the netting. Some of these nugs are the densest I’ve ever grown! They did finally stack on and get thick. Excellent, and they smell amazing. I gave the remainder of the plant another 4 litres of water. Be curious to see if she continues to drink. If she does I’ll probably let he go for another week or so. This will be my longest grow from start to finish ever. Looks like it was worth the wait but only time will tell if the smoke is any good. Can’t wait to sneak in a try of some in a couple weeks before it gets jarred up.
That’s all for now.

IMG_6271.jpeg

IMG_6275.jpeg

IMG_6273.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom