A Lovely Lady And A Grumpy Old Man Growing In Newfoundland Fall 2023

I would say that healthy plants and more light would be the way to maximize the genetics, but some varieties are always going to be fluffier than others.

Do you control for temp and RH in there? That might help too if you can.
I do. Temp is usually 22°C - 28°C during light and 15°C - 20°C during dark (70-80f & 60-70f)
RH depending on stage of plant is 30-60%.
I try and control it as best I can. I’m usually near the recommended ranges for both. My plants sit on a wood slab on the concrete floor and the temperature on top of the slab is usually around 15 to 20°C also.

I grow mostly autos in tent - an observation:
I feed them what I think they will need in the next two weeks, so end of veg/early flower is max out on the nutes
Adding flower booster in week three of bloom [instead of week 5-6] makes for earlier budding which in turn gives them more time to nug up and finish nicely [imo]
Just Roy's wibbly-wobbly world of raking jelly up a slide :ganjamon:
Question: for how many weeks are you adding the bloom booster? Weeks 3-5 or ?
TIA
:ganjamon:

Day 116

Tomorrow starts week 8 of flowering.

Are they actually getting dense?!? I think I’m finally starting to see the buds I’ve been looking for. They’re stacking on beautifully and densing up too! I don’t think she’ll be chopped anytime in the coming week though. Like @InTheShed said there are lots of white pistils still popping out and even though the leaves are fading more every day she’s still drinking on her same schedule. Says to me she wants to keep going for a bit longer. The last 2 waterings were full feeds so this time because she looks like she’s fading fast but also possibly lacking some nutes I gave her the usual 5 Litres PH to 5.9 PPM 450 which included the std dose of Cal-Mag + 1/3 dose of Micro Grow & Bloom. This could possibly be her last watering but who knows. She might go another 2-3 weeks. For now she’s still thirsty. When she slows down on drinking I’m going to consider chopping her. Regardless the next watering will be plain water only.

My Vipar is at 75% and my iPhone Photone app says the top of canopy buds are at PPFD 1300, second tier 850-1000 & third tier 600-700.

Thanks for stopping by :)

IMG_5744.jpeg

IMG_5749.jpeg

IMG_5766.png

Day 120 (Yesterday)

Well we were right. According to how much she's still drinking she's still a little ways away from the chop. It had been 4 days since her last watering and she was dry, not as dry as a bone but close. Another day might have been bad. And she still looked like she was/is lacking in Nutes also. Doesn't really look to me like she's fading, or burning with too much Nutes, she just looks hungry. Against everything I've ever read I decided to feed her again. This will be 4 feedings in a row (1 was only at 1/3 strength). I gave her a full feed of 6 Litres, 2 days ago now, on Wednesday evening with all the good stuff in it, CalMag, Micro, Grow & Bloom, PH'd to 6.1 with the PPM at 600. Didn't see any detrimental effects yesteday so hopefully it was the right call. I won't be back to see her now until Monday so fingers crossed it all works out. She is really stacking up and I am very happy with how she's progressing. Could still be another 2 weeks but that's completly fine with me if she continues to stack on. I have noticed not as many white pistils remain now, most are at least starting to color, with very few new ones popping out. Smell is wonderful. Looking good. Can't wait to trim her up. And now that I have a separate mini tent for drying and seeding I am stoked!

Put a few new seeds in paper towels for the next grow before I left. Acapulco Gold and Platinum Nancy. They'll be ready to go into the big tent as soon as this girl comes out.

Thanks for looking :ganjamon:

PS If anyone can offer some tips for taking good clear trichome pics I'm all ears. I have an iPhone 14 Pro and tripod to use but some trichome pics I see on here are amazing and mine look like they were taken with a Polaroid camera!

IMG_5841.JPEG

IMG_5827.JPEG

IMG_5822.JPEG

Great idea to keep feeding with that much time left. :)
PS If anyone can offer some tips for taking good clear trichome pics I'm all ears. I have an iPhone 14 Pro and tripod to use but some trichome pics I see on here are amazing and mine look like they were taken with a Polaroid camera!
Better than any Polaroids I ever took! There are some good quality clip on loupes out there, and I used to do this before I bought my scope off Amazon:

Now I use something similar to this:
https://www.amazon.com/Microscope-S...Smartphone/dp/B07DVFBVPF?tag=420magazine0f-20

Great idea to keep feeding with that much time left. :)

Better than any Polaroids I ever took! There are some good quality clip on loupes out there, and I used to do this before I bought my scope off Amazon:

Now I use something similar to this:
https://www.amazon.com/Microscope-S...Smartphone/dp/B07DVFBVPF?tag=420magazine0f-20
Thanks Shed. That's exactly what I plan on purchasing when funds allow. I've seen people post pics of their trichomes using only their iPhone and I'm blown away. No clue how they do it and I've watched quite a few tutorials for using the iPhone 14 camera. Thanks again!

Hi Everyone

This title is us to a tee, my wife and I, haha. She’s extremely lovely and I am definitely the grumpy old man! This will be my second attempt at a journal, the first one crashed and burned. Hopefully a little better success will be had with this one. Please chime in anytime with your thoughts, tips or just in general.

The Grow Room Genetics have graciously gifted us with some free Photo-period tester beans in 4 varieties; East Coast Girl Scout Cookies A, B & C and a strain called Platinum Nancy. These are all fresh untested seeds so we have no idea how they are going to grow. I haven’t even been told what crosses/breeds have been combined to make them. Journal could be a total flop or something amazing. In this grow we will be germinating each of the 3 versions of the GSC. We will also be growing a 4th plant, an Auto-flower Bruce Banner from a different seed bank (can’t remember for the life of me where I got them from). My plan at this point is to grow out the Bruce Banner auto-flower, approx. 12 weeks, with my light schedule being 18/6 and once the Bruce Banner is chopped I will flip the lights to 12/12 to flower the Photo-period plants. I have never tried this before and other than possibly running out of room in the tent I can’t really see the issue. I hope our 420 Family will chime in with their thoughts on this. If the BB-Auto isn’t doing well throughout the grow being in with the photo plants, I do have a 2x4 tent that I can set up and move the auto flower into to get it away from the photo’s if need be. Hopefully this doesn’t become the case. I will be employing Low Stress Training on everything, hopefully this will help keep everything under control size wise and it all fits.

Grow room details:

-Location: Heated Shed in the province of Newfoundland Canada.

-Tent: Opulent Systems 4x4.

-Light: Viparspectra KS3000.

-Medium: ProMix HP-M.

-Pots: 5 Gallon Fabric for the GSC and 3 Gallon for the BB.

-Fans: 1 AC Infinity 6”, 1 Omnimax 8” modified to be a clip on, 1 Tower fan.

-6” Vivosun Exhaust fan and charcoal filter.

-Oil heater as needed.

-Dehumidier: Available and on Stand-by.

-Humidifier: Available and on Stand-by.

-Nutrients: Advanced Nutrients

:Sensi Cal-Mag Xtra,

:Micro, Grow, Bloom, PH + -

:General Hydroponics Dry KoolBloom

:Grotek Pro-Silicate

-No Name PPM & PH Meter

Here we go, September 1, 2023. I did not soak the seeds prior to dropping them into Jiffy Tomato Greenhouse 50mm peat pellets. Two days later, 2 had popped and 2 days after that the other 2 had shown themselves. So far so good. The first 2, GSC-C & Bruce Banner auto, have been moved into their 5 & 3 gallon pots respectively. The other two GSC - A & B will most likely be going into their pots on Friday when I get back home from work. I have a funky schedule in health care so I’m not home every day, hence the reason for my right hand, the Lovely Lady : ) I will not add any nutrients to the ProMix for approx. 3 weeks. I usually wait until I see 4-5 sets of leaves. Just plain water PH’d to 6.0-6.3. Lights are hanging approx. 24” above the pots at 25% intensity for the first week or so then they will be adjusted or lowered accordingly. I use pieces or plywood or whatever is handy under my pots and saucers to keep them from directly touching the cold tent/concrete floor. Temp for now is 20 - 24 degrees celsius, Relative Humidity around 60%.

I know I've missed details. I will be updating regularly, maybe not as often as some, but as much as my schedule will allow. Lots of pics to follow as we go. Again, please feel free to chime in anytime. Thanks for looking.

P.S. Not many pics to start off, they are coming. I will post many more on Friday showing better detail and our setup. They are there in the pots lol, just tiny. I have had great success with planting them in their final pots previously at this stage. Thanks for your patience.

IMG_E4336.JPG

IMG_E4328.jpeg

IMG_4331.jpg
CharlieWaffles…GSC is my favorite strain to smoke, have grown twice. Pulling up a chair to check out your mystery GSC pheno hunt. Cheers

CharlieWaffles…GSC is my favorite strain to smoke, have grown twice. Pulling up a chair to check out your mystery GSC pheno hunt. Cheers
Welcome, to the finish. I cannot wait to harvest this girl. Especially considering that I lost 2 of her sisters to hermie’ing, she’s looking amazing. Thanks for looking in.

:ganjamon:

:ganjamon: Day 124 (yesterday)

4 days since her last watering and she’s dry again! To say I’m shocked with how much she is still drinking is an understatement. Sorry for sounding like a broken record. This time she took on 4 litres of water with only Cal-Mag in it, PH to 6.0 and the PPM @ 250. I still don’t think she’s ready. Was hoping to chop her this weekend coming but not sure yet if that’s going to happen. Trichomes are still not as cloudy and or as Amber as I’m looking for. Might have to snip a bud and quick dry it and test it out. I tried to get some better trichome pics as you’ll see. I’m getting better and did use a 25x lens but they’re still just ok. My time ran out or I would have had even better ones. Need a proper stand and not the selfie stick I’m trying to take nice pics with currently.
Thanks for stopping by

IMG_5866.jpeg

IMG_5868.jpeg

IMG_5935.jpeg

IMG_5933.jpeg

Day 125
Approx. week 9 of flower

Friday came and went and she wasn’t ready. Got home and discovered after five days since her last watering that she was bone dry, again. So obviously she’s still drinking like mad. A further inspection of the trichomes revealed that although the ones at the top of the plant, the ones I’ve been checking the most, appear to be 50 to 65% Amber, the ones just below the top of the canopy and lower down are still not ready. I feel like she probably still has another week or 10 days to go. Wow. She’s taking a long time to finish up but on the plus side the buds are getting extremely dense and firm. I sure hope she’s worth the wait. I gave her a full feeding Friday night and as of Sunday evening the pot was still quite heavy. But that’s not the first time that that has happened, I’m sure I’ll get home in a couple days and she’ll be bone dry again. Not much else to report. I turned up the heat a little bit to try and maintain closer to 24 to 25°C. Unfortunately this cuts down on the humidity but I don’t think it really matters too much at this point. Some fresh pics attached.

Thanks for stopping by :ganjamon:

IMG_5989.jpeg

IMG_5993.jpeg

IMG_6034.png

IMG_5986.jpeg

IMG_6035.png

Low RH is great for the end of flower to try to keep the mold away!

Sounds like somebody's due for a staggered harvest. :)
Actually I did snip off 2 buds and hang them up yesterday! Even my wife commented on how dense and hard they were, the buds :laugh:
Yep, probably going to be a staggered harvest. Thanks @InTheShed for stopping in and furthering my own thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom