A Lovely Lady And A Grumpy Old Man Growing In Newfoundland Fall 2023

Update Day 56

Same old boring situation here. Girls look great!

They’re each getting 5 litres per watering now and sucking it back in less than 4 days. It’s time to start watering sooner/more often. Going to water every 3-4 days now and see if they can handle it instead of every 4-5 days.

Watered on Wednesday, 5 litres each plain water + Cal-Mag. PPM 195, PH 5.9.

Had to raise the lights a few inches to maintain 12”-16” due to growth. PPFD 1000 at the top of canopy.

Opinions wanted: @Bill284 @Krissi Carbone @Delps8 @InTheShed @Absorber @Ke0ncp @Melville Hobbes @Emilya Green
Tia!

These girls have hit the 8 week mark. They are full, lush and growing quickly. I don’t want the Photo period plants to get overly tall and out grow the tent ceiling so I’d like to flip them to flower soon. But my single Auto period plant has only been in flower for approx 2 weeks. I had hoped to not change the light schedule from 18/6 to 12/12 until the Auto plant was further along, closer to 6 weeks in flower. But the Photos will be huge by then. That’s another 4 weeks from now! Will flipping now hurt the Auto plant? I know she is supposed to do her thing regardless of light schedule but I’m worried about shocking her as she’s still new into flowering. Thoughts?

Only 1 new pic right now. Not sure why I keep forgetting to take more. Duh. I’ll have more in a couple days.

Thanks all !!

IMG_4905.jpeg
Garden looks great Amigo :thumb:
I'm not a big grower of autos. :Namaste:
From what I understand 20/4 is good for them.
Anything less will have an effect on quantity I'm sure .
But 12/12 will still produce a decent Auto.
It had a good start and grew well, lots of bud sites.
Do what's best for the garden. Imo!
Flip em.:high-five:

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

I created the attached PDF after I got a Uni-T light meter a couple of years ago. I was intrigued by the idea of getting really good light readings from a $30 product. As it turns out, generally speaking, a $32 light meter will get you PPFD values that are, in practical terms, as good as what we get from an Apogee.

The Apogee will tend to be more accurate than using a lux meter plus converting the value from a lux meter to PPFD. Keep in mind that both the Uni-T and an Apogee are accurate to 5%± so, even adding in some error in the conversion factor, for most growers, a grower using a lux meter will get the same results for $32 as someone who spends $500+ on a PAR meter.

*An Apogee can be calibrated to 5%. I doubt that the Uni-T can be calibrated but the manufacturer states that Uni-T has essentially a 5% accuracy level when it comes off the line.

Attachments

• Lux to PPFD Conversions.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 24
Cool. Going to stick with my Photone app on my iPhone 14. Pretty happy with what it’s telling me according to how my girls are looking. And here in Canada the Uni-T is $65. Going to use that money for other things. Thanks for the charts though they’ve been very helpful.
:thumb: :ganjamon:
I didn't realize you were using Photone.

CfC has tested that light and has some metrics you could use to calibrate Photone. The ePAR readings at 12" below the light at center mass is 935. If you plug that number into Photone, you should get more accurate readings.

Day 66

Nov 13
I’ve missed some updating over the last week+ so I’m going to combine it all here.

Sunday Nov 5:
Ladies were drooping and very thirsty but I wasn’t home to tend to them.

Enter the “Lovely Lady”.

I didn’t have any water prepared for her so to keep it simple I had her give each plant a top up of 3 L of water + Cal-Mag. Done. Thank you too my lovely wife. Boy were they thirsty! By the time Tuesday rolled around and I was home each pot felt like nothing had been added to it they were so light. So time for a feeding.

Tuesday Nov 7:
Feeding time. Pro-Silicate, Cal-Mag, Micro, Grow & Bloom. The three girls in 5 gallon pots each received 4.5 L of nutrient rich water while the girl in the 3 gallon pot received 4 L.
PPM 625 PH 5.9

Sunday Nov 12: FLIP DAY!
Today is the day I change the light schedule from 18/6 to 12/12. Exciting and scary at the same time. I know this schedule should only impact yield slightly for my lonely Auto plant in the mix, The Banner OG, but I’m still concerned about doing this, venturing into the unknown, for me anyway. Before changing the schedule on Sunday I took some time on Saturday to trim the life out of the 3 photo plants. They were so bushy again even after having recently been defoliated. Crazy. I may have gone overboard on one or two of them but we all know these plants grow like Jacks Beanstock and it will be overly full again in no time. With the trimming finished, and pictures taken this time, I proceeded to feed them all again. They each received Pro-Silicate, Cal-Mag, Micro, Grow, & Bloom once again. I upped the quantities slightly leaving me with PPM 800 & PH 6.2. The photo girls in the 5 gallon pots each received 4 L this time and the auto girl received 3 L.
I’ve decided to start watering them slightly more often going forward not only because they are now flipped to flower stage lighting, but also because I noticed when droughting them as often as I had it seemed like the branches where they attach to the stem we’re getting weak. While trimming I happen to put a little bit of pressure on one of the lower branches and it snapped right off the stock. I’m thinking it’s because they were too dry overall. So no more of that. Other than this little mishap everything is looking fantastic. Light height is still approximately 12 to 18 inches from the canopy depending which plant you measure by. PPFD 1000 at the canopy. Going to give them 5 to 6 days to adjust to the new schedule and then I’m going to see if I can get the PPFD at the canopy up to 13-1500 without burning them.

I know it’s a lot but that’s all to report for now. As always I am open to all suggestions opinions and comments. Please feel free to say something.

IMG_4978.jpeg

IMG_4980.jpeg

IMG_4982.jpeg

IMG_4983.jpeg

IMG_4950.jpeg

What is this?

Day 73 update

Just opened up the tent after being gone away for three days and the first thing I noticed is some funky looking pistil sites on a couple of my girls. GSC A & B have what looks to me like Nanners…...... can someone please tell me that I’m wrong, it would be so disappointing to have wasted all the effort. But it would be my first time so I can’t complain too much.
😥
Any thoughts @Bill284 @InTheShed @Roy Growin @Delps8 @Tokin Roll @Greenvein @Melville Hobbes

IMG_5110.jpeg

IMG_5109.jpeg

If you have pistils and balls, that's a hermaphrodite; just balls and it's a male! :eek:

Either way, cut and run before any of those pollen sacs open. :(
Scheisse! Thanks for confirming my suspicions. Out they go! I cannot believe how they just appeared in three days time, crazy.

Looking beautiful other then the male 🤙 I think he was waiting for you to look away so he could you know what with the ladies! 🤞 You kicked him out in time

What is this?

Day 73 update

Just opened up the tent after being gone away for three days and the first thing I noticed is some funky looking pistil sites on a couple of my girls. GSC A & B have what looks to me like Nanners…...... can someone please tell me that I’m wrong, it would be so disappointing to have wasted all the effort. But it would be my first time so I can’t complain too much.
😥
Any thoughts @Bill284 @InTheShed @Roy Growin @Delps8 @Tokin Roll @Greenvein @Melville Hobbes

IMG_5110.jpeg

IMG_5109.jpeg
Sorry buddy.
Get he/she out before he blows.
So sorry. :Namaste:
Beautiful Garden otherwise.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Update day 76

The boys are gone 😢. First time I’ve ever had a hermi happen or whatever. Tough loss lol. Moving on.

Remaining GSC is looking very good. And the Banner Auto is doing her thing. She’s slow to start bulking up but she’s coming along. She should be close to finishing according to the seed supplier but I’d say she has another 3 weeks to go. Both plants were watered yesterday. I’ve started to treat them differently now.

The GSC received 5 litres PH’d to 5.9 PPM 700. Pro-silicate, Cal-Mag Micro Grow Bloom.

The Banner received 4 litres PH’d to 5.9 PPM 950. Pro-silicate, Cal-Mag Micro Grow Bloom + Kool Bloom 1 tsp. Hopefully the extra Kool Bloom will help her to start adding on some bulk. I’ve also started using the @ViparSpectra bar light in a different fashion. As you can see in the pic I’ve bent it at its pivot point in the middle to increase light to the sides of the plant. I’m not sure this is going to be effective but it looks like it’s going to be according to how much more condensed the light distribution is. Time will tell.

That’s all for now. There will certainly be enough room in the tent now. And I’ll have to pop a couple more seeds soon.

IMG_5151.jpeg

IMG_5154.jpeg

IMG_5156.jpeg

The Banner received 4 litres PH’d to 5.9 PPM 950. Pro-silicate, Cal-Mag Micro Grow Bloom + Kool Bloom 1 tsp. Hopefully the extra Kool Bloom will help her to start adding on some bulk.
More ferts≠more growth. As long as your ferts are getting chemicals in the sufficiency range, you're doing your part by maintain a high-quality growing environment.

Nutrient Sufficiency.png

"I’ve also started using the @ViparSpectra bar light in a different fashion. As you can see in the pic I’ve bent it at its pivot point in the middle to increase light to the sides of the plant. I’m not sure this is going to be effective but it looks like it’s going to be according to how much more condensed the light distribution is. Time will tell."

Lighting challenges, eh?

IMG_5115.jpeg

Folding your light will help even out the PPFD on the plant on the left - great idea.

For the plant on the right - take a light reading at the top of the main cola then take readings at the next "level" down. Almost 200µmol lower? You can't go back and top that plant but you can supercrop it, right? If you supercrop those three or four stems, your canopy will be a lot more even//you will dramatically increase the average PPFD on the canopy.

The plants in my photo above were both autos (Gelato, IIRC), from the same seed packet. "Natural variability" anyone? The main light, over Jeff, was over 1200µmols at times in my efforts to light up Chris. Jeff ended up being completely fox tailed but Chris ended up with her own light (Vipar XS-1500) and did just fine.

And this grow, which I refer to as my "Twins" grow, is why I disregard the results of tests that were done using seeds.
IMG_5227.jpeg

1700679308153.png

Update day 76

The boys are gone 😢. First time I’ve ever had a hermi happen or whatever. Tough loss lol. Moving on.

Remaining GSC is looking very good. And the Banner Auto is doing her thing. She’s slow to start bulking up but she’s coming along. She should be close to finishing according to the seed supplier but I’d say she has another 3 weeks to go. Both plants were watered yesterday. I’ve started to treat them differently now.

The GSC received 5 litres PH’d to 5.9 PPM 700. Pro-silicate, Cal-Mag Micro Grow Bloom.

The Banner received 4 litres PH’d to 5.9 PPM 950. Pro-silicate, Cal-Mag Micro Grow Bloom + Kool Bloom 1 tsp. Hopefully the extra Kool Bloom will help her to start adding on some bulk. I’ve also started using the @ViparSpectra bar light in a different fashion. As you can see in the pic I’ve bent it at its pivot point in the middle to increase light to the sides of the plant. I’m not sure this is going to be effective but it looks like it’s going to be according to how much more condensed the light distribution is. Time will tell.

That’s all for now. There will certainly be enough room in the tent now. And I’ll have to pop a couple more seeds soon.

IMG_5151.jpeg

IMG_5154.jpeg

IMG_5156.jpeg
Sorry about the Hermie Amigo.
Better days ahead. :Namaste:
Take care.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Edit: quick question, sorry if I asked already.
What's under your floor, concrete or wood?
Just curious about temp with your recent issue.

Back
Top Bottom