A Modest Attempt At DWC From Scratch

It may be quiet here at Modest Grower gardens but behind the scenes we have our nose to the grindstone
IMG_20210326_180639_369.jpg
Hey MG I hope all is well. I see you got som parts.
When drilling holes for those uniseals be sure to sink the pilot hole for the centre bit on the hole saw but before the actual hole saw comes in contact with the buckets click your drill in reverse. Seriously try it on some shit piece of plastic first. By spinning in reverse the hole saw will not bite and rip into the bucket and it way easier to hold on to leaving a way cleaner hole requiring less sanding.
Honestly try it first on something so you know what to expect it may save you a bucket.
play safe and enjoy

Soo I’m late jumping into this, however, if you check my first grow journal in my signature you’ll see the undercurrent system I built.. I will say, with a true undercurrent system and I learned this the hard way, don’t oversize your pump. If you have multiple buckets in a line and have too powerful a pump, the bucket furthest from the resivoir will eventually pump dry/low and overfill the resivoir and first bucket in line. Coming from the top of your pump before the resivoir you want a boiler drain valve for draining your RDWC system when doing nutrient changes. After the boiler drain add a ball valve soo you can direct all pressure out the boiler drain and not take as long to empty. Inline filters to the pump are nice but I’ve learned not necessary unless your careless about letting your grow media fall thru the netpots. Any questions feel free to ask man, I’ve built a handful of systems now and can tell you what NOT to do lmao

Happy Saturday! Thanks for swinging by @Camaro1691 Thank you everyone who has stopped by! I really appreciate all of this advice, it is truly invaluable and will be put to good use. I hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Awesome @Camaro1691 looking glorious in there. Pretty good Monday here. I got some more supplied plus some pvc pipe delivered today. Couple days and I can start putting it all together like Legos. Happy Monday indeed! I will probably upgrade my airpump in the future and have a stone or two in the res? But I'm expecting to have to change as I go. Hopefully, I do enough research ahead of time but this is a learning experience. If I do upgrade the air pump I'll use that for herbs and flowers
20210329_140323.jpg

Do your bucket lids fit properly on the bucket? The ones I have don't fit all the way down over the lip, got the lids and buckets at the same place. I had thought about heating them up and making them fit.

Do your bucket lids fit properly on the bucket? The ones I have don't fit all the way down over the lip, got the lids and buckets at the same place. I had thought about heating them up and making them fit.
Aaaaay, great question. Totally forgot to test the fit when I brought them down to the vehicle to move. Will have to check and report back. Thanks for the reminder. (Fingers crossed)

I would describe the fit the same as yours. Like 90%over the lip. Is there any concern beyond light? I might just put some tape over the edge to begin. I plan to have some light blockage on top with like a panel or something across the top.

20210329_163258.jpg

Yeah that sucks, be nice for them to actually fit. I'm going to hitine with the heat gun next time around and see if I can get them to fit.

Mostly just for light issues is the reason. And for the fact that they are supposed to fit. If it was a little too big I wouldn't be as concerned. I cut some poly for the tops and it overhangs a few inches all the way around. I figured tape would be a pain after a while.

You may want to make your buckets black though. White will still let some light in as far as I know.

I would describe the fit the same as yours. Like 90%over the lip. Is there any concern beyond light? I might just put some tape over the edge to begin. I plan to have some light blockage on top with like a panel or something across the top.

20210329_163258.jpg
Hey brother looking good. Sorry to hear about the lids not fitting 100%.
Definitely going to want to black out them buckets somehow

play safe and enjoy and enjoy everyone

Thanks for the tip @KCCO 77 I went white for temp but guessing light will be an issue? I will cover them with that reflecto tape maybe after some black spray paint for good measure. Live and learn. Thanks again!

If you spray paint them, scuff the buckets with sandpaper first, I found paint didn't like to stick to them very well when I tried once, just scratches off.

Aluminum foil ducting tape or heat tape would work fine though as you mentioned.

I'm thinking I might tinker with the lid fit a little bit. Part of me is thinking I xan put a ratchet strap on the bucket and tighten it until I get the lid on and the. If it stays like that for a while it may hold later? Or heat a bit. Or even leave the strap in place. Just brainstorming a bit

Yep all good thoughts. Definitely heat though, and pair with the ratchet strap to keep it in place. If you don't heat it you may end up with a buckle or uneven spot. Heat the lid first a bit, get it on there and strap it. Apply a little more heat and let it sit for an hour. Just enough to make it warm and a little plyable, I'd try to avoid heating the bucket.

Long time no see, my friends! Today is April 1 and I have started officially tinkering with the set up. Space is tight so I will be reworking the hanging set up for the light and moving the fan outside of the tent as well with ducting coming into the tent. I see no issue with this but I don't recall ever seeing the fan and filter outside of a tent to be honest.

I was amazed when I cranked the dial on the @Budget LED light, it was blinding. Can't wait to see it in action. Anyway, loving the set up so far. Space is tight as I opted for a closet in the garage for this first run.
20210401_231245.jpg
20210401_223926.jpg

Long time no see, my friends! Today is April 1 and I have started officially tinkering with the set up. Space is tight so I will be reworking the hanging set up for the light and moving the fan outside of the tent as well with ducting coming into the tent. I see no issue with this but I don't recall ever seeing the fan and filter outside of a tent to be honest.

I was amazed when I cranked the dial on the @Budget LED light, it was blinding. Can't wait to see it in action. Anyway, loving the set up so far. Space is tight as I opted for a closet in the garage for this first run.
20210401_231245.jpg
20210401_223926.jpg
Hey brother looking great over here. I too run a budget series 3 rspec with my HLG. The light is great and real bright indeed and still years later problem free
I wear very good grow glasses in my room and recommend getting some of working under these bright ass lights.

The filter outside the room is a great idea to save space and most try to keep it in there to keep it hidden. I myself would absolutely run it outside if space was a issue.
Play safe and enjoy everyone

Back
Top Bottom