The Vivosun Bud Factory - 4 Kush Mints Clones In RDWC 5x5 VSFD6500

They might be sliding that net north for a while now!
They're on flower day# 19 and flip day# 28, so they should be finished stretching soon. Either way, they have plenty of room if they want to use it :)

The Vivosun Bud Factory
Kush Mints Clones in RDWC

Featuring the VIVOSUN Smart Grow System and the VSFD6500
Sponsored by VIVOSUN

Welcome back to the Vivosun Bud Factory, a Vivosun 5x5 (60x60x80) advanced grey tent equipped with a custom Vivosun Smart Grow System (SGS) with a Vivosun VSFD6500 and a 45g 4-site RDWC system.

Vivosun Smart Grow System settings: RDWC Flower Recipe in VEG mode (Flower lighting with veg env)
  • Light - Vivosun VSFD6500
    • 22:00-08:00 - OFF
    • 08:00-20:00 - 85% Flowering mode (40 DLI)
  • Circulation - Vivosun AeroWave E6 x 2
    • 00:00-24:00 - Natural Wind
  • Exhaust - Vivosun 6" AeroZesh
    • 22:00-04:00 - 54% RH, speed 6
    • 04:00-22:00 - 83F & 64% RH, speed 7
Other Equipment:
- Vivosun 13" oscillating floor fan oscillating horizontally and vertically, on natural wind mode

Date: 3/25/24 Day# 72 (Flip day# 33, Flower day# 24)
Strain: Cannapot Kush Mints (ApeOrigin) fem photo clones
Nutrients: Prescription Blend, Hydroguard, Z7
Medium: 8" Netpots with clay balls in RDWC system (5x13g buckets)

I had some extra time on Friday afternoon so I gave these ladies a res change. I've got it down to a little under an hour now from start to finish. Here is what I do when I do a 'res change':
  • Put 3G of water on the stove to boil
  • Turn off water chiller & chiller pump
  • Turn off waterfall/recirculation pump
  • Unhook water chiller input (res pump output) and put in 'sink'
  • Plug chiller pump back in
    • This starts to drain the system into the 'sink'. The sink is a tote with a sump pump that will come on when it gets too full and drain outside.
  • As the outside res is draining:
    • Open all the tent flaps for access to rinse the buckets
    • Fill 4x5G buckets with clean water (one to clean the pump, three to add to res (15G))
  • Measure 45G of nutrients and add to one of the 5G buckets of water, with airstone bubbling to mix
  • Measure pH Down
    • Get about 500ml water
    • Add 14ml pH Down to water and stir
  • When the outside reservoir is drained as low as it goes (pump stops), move the pump to inside front-left bucket
  • Rinse out all of the buckets
    • Starting in the back-left, use hose to clean buckets. Spray sides and bottom, lightly rinse roots
    • Each bucket gets sprayed while the system finishes draining
    • Put on gloves to check/reposition air stones or pull roots from tubes
  • When the chiller pump stops pumping, unplug and remove from bucket
  • Use wet-vac in each bucket to finish draining. Put in corner of bucket and get as much as possible without disturbing the roots. The system is now drained.
  • Clean the water chiller & pump
    • Break down the pump. Rinse the filter material and wipe down pump and lines.
    • Hook pump back up to chiller backwards. Run 2G of water through.
    • Several times, stop the pump and blow backwards through the drain. Make sure the pump is not in your clean water, though, because 'backblowing' like this causes crap to come back through the pump.
    • Hook pump back up to chiller correctly. Run 2G of water through, or until clear
    • Unplug pump and put back together (filter material/etc.)
  • Go get the 3G of boiling water
    • Add some to each of the three 5G buckets of water remaining to bring to 70f
  • Using the hose, start filling the res
  • When the water is covering the return pipe in the res
    • Add 1/2G hot water to res, or up to 70F
    • Turn on the recirculation pump
    • Turn on the chiller pump
    • Keep filling res with water as recirculation pump starts filling inner buckets
  • When the water is covering the return pipe in the inner buckets and flow is seen coming into the res, stop the hose
  • Turn on water chiller
  • Use hot water to bring up to 68-70f (based on chiller readout)
  • Pour 5G bucket of water into the front-left bucket
    • This causes a pressure imbalance and forces trapped air out of the caterpillar return hose
  • Pour second 5G bucket of water into front-left bucket (same reason)
  • Position nutrients over res, and start draining them into the res
  • Add pH down to res **
  • Add beneficial bacteria (Hydroguard/Southern AG - I wait a day to add z7)
  • Finish filling res from hose, if needed
  • Add rest of hot water, or up to 68F (I usually need all the hot water as my well water is <60f)
  • 2-4 hours later - Check ppm/pH and adjust pH if needed
  • Next day - Check ppm/pH and adjust pH if needed
A couple of notes:
- The water chiller and pump gets filthy. I kind of like this because it makes a good place for the system to get filtered. It does take a while to clean, though.
- ** With the PB nutrients, I've found my initial pH is too low. I end up adding a little pH Up to bring it in range, then the next day it's too high. Next res change, I'll only add 1/2 - 3/4 of the acid during the res change, and keep some aside for later when the res adjusts.
Kush Mints RDWC Tracker.png

If I see a place in the canopy that looks to full/crowded, I'll remove the lowest leaf I can find in that spot. Other than the occasionally plucking I'm just letting these ladies do their thing. They're stacking up and getting frosty in there, and everyone is healthy and happy ;)

#VIVOSUN #LoveWhatYouGrow

The plants are looking great and I really dig the full on tent pics for a sense of perspective! :thumb:
Thanks Shed. I agree sometimes all those inside-tent shots look the same.

The Vivosun Bud Factory

Sponsored by VIVOSUN

Welcome back to the Vivosun Bud Factory, a Vivosun 5x5 (60x60x80) advanced grey tent equipped with a custom Vivosun Smart Grow System (SGS) with a Vivosun VSFD6500 and a 45g 4-site RDWC system.

Vivosun Smart Grow System settings: RDWC Flower Recipe in VEG mode (Flower lighting with veg env)
Other Equipment:
- Vivosun 13" oscillating floor fan oscillating horizontally and vertically, on natural wind mode

Date: 3/29/24 Day# 76 (Flip day# 37, Flower day# 28)

I gave these ladies a fresh res at the beginning of week# 4 and is was near 1200ppm (2.4EC). The have a tiny bit of tip burn, so they've got nothing but water since. I'm trying to keep them in the 1000-1100ppm range, so they'll probably get nutes next feeding. The pH is staying stable but starting to show indications it's going to start going down soon.
It's springtime in VA, with highs in the 70s this weekend. That means it's time to enact some strict protocols in the Vivosun Bud Factory. Clean clothes only, change and/or shower before going to the basement. I'll probably only open the tent once/week from now on, for a thorough inspection and to take pictures. This is the time of year I keep getting spider mites down there, and I'm determined to avoid it this year. At least for this grow ;)

Other than the slighted tip burn, these ladies are looking really healthy. It looks like it's way too bushy in there, but I can actually see through the canopy in many places. I'm still plucking a leaf here and there, but I feel really good about the airflow in there now. The buds are building up nicely and already getting fat and frosty. These ladies are on cruise control now, and Vivosun & Prescription Blend are going to bring them home!

The Vivosun Bud Factory

Sponsored by VIVOSUN

Other Equipment:

Date: 3/29/24 Day# 76 (Flip day# 37, Flower day# 28)

I gave these ladies a fresh res at the beginning of week# 4 and is was near 1200ppm (2.4EC). The have a tiny bit of tip burn, so they've got nothing but water since. I'm trying to keep them in the 1000-1100ppm range, so they'll probably get nutes next feeding. The pH is staying stable but starting to show indications it's going to start going down soon.
It's springtime in VA, with highs in the 70s this weekend. That means it's time to enact some strict protocols in the Vivosun Bud Factory. Clean clothes only, change and/or shower before going to the basement. I'll probably only open the tent once/week from now on, for a thorough inspection and to take pictures. This is the time of year I keep getting spider mites down there, and I'm determined to avoid it this year. At least for this grow ;)

Other than the slighted tip burn, these ladies are looking really healthy. It looks like it's way too bushy in there, but I can actually see through the canopy in many places. I'm still plucking a leaf here and there, but I feel really good about the airflow in there now. The buds are building up nicely and already getting fat and frosty. These ladies are on cruise control now, and Vivosun & Prescription Blend are going to bring them home!

I Absolutely ❤️ how crisp and clean your tent is! So Beautiful! 😍

The Vivosun Bud Factory

Sponsored by VIVOSUN

Other Equipment:

Date: 4/1/24 Day# 79 (Flip day# 40, Flower day# 31)

This is where RDWC really makes growing easy. I'm just topping off the reservoir with water/nutrients as needed and never even need to open the tent. I took a quick peek through the right-side door this morning and snapped a couple of pictures from a different perspective. These ladies are looking fantastic and getting fat and frosty in there :)

Jiminy cricket, those girls are going wild! Hope you got a pitchfork to help load all that bud when you're done!
Thanks RSR. My last harvest from the 5x5 took me two weeks and ended up with 3.5lbs. I've cut a lot more off of these ladies to keep them from getting so bushy, but I swear they're filling up anyways. This time, though, a lot more on the main colas ;)

well now I'm envy! Such a great installation...
Thanks Key, the ease of the RDWC & the automation from the Vivosun Smart Grow System really makes it feel like it runs itself in flower ;)

The Vivosun Bud Factory

Sponsored by VIVOSUN

Other Equipment:

Date: 4/2/24 Day# 80 (Flip day# 41, Flower day# 32)

Today a view from the left side of the tent. I have my 'sink' (tote with sump pump & a filtered hose), the RDWC res, air pump, and water chiller over on the left, along with the well pressurization tank. There's still more room than the right side, you just need to be careful where you step ;) As for that back-left plant, it almost looks like that corner is empty. That's just because her buds are pulled to the back&side and only the lower node points to the corner. Her main colas are still looking plenty chunky and frosty :)

Flowers are looking great and the fans are legit huge!
Thanks Shed. I love those huge fan leaves from DWC, like some amazonian plant or something. These ladies are turbo-charged right now and the growth in the flowers in really impressive :)

The Vivosun Bud Factory

Sponsored by VIVOSUN

Other Equipment:

Date: 4/5/24 Day# 83 (Flip day# 44, Flower day# 35)

The res has been very easy to maintain this grow. The Prescription Blend is very pH stable and does not change much. I'm thinking it's the Silica, and I'll be adding more Silica to my MC grows in the future.
These ladies are living their best life! The buds are getting fat and frosty, the leaves are big and green, and they smell fantastic.

They're definitely primed for "the fattening!"
Thanks Shed.
Interesting note about your Love What You Grow tag line...I just saw it on the box for the new Vivosun heat mat thermostat I hooked up this morning. Another interesting note is that the old Vivoson thermostat ran almost continuously for 5½ years before giving up the ghost. Not too shabby. :thumb:
Great to hear!

:bump: to a new page

Back
Top Bottom