LKABudMan - Kush Mints, Coco, In The Vivosun vGrow Smart Grow Box

I've been decreasing the intensity to decrease the DLI, but maybe I should be decreasing the hours instead. Good thought.
I'd love to hear a discussion about this among those knowledgeable about lighting. Which is the better way to reduce DLI, via reduced light intensity or reduced hours of light? Or is it just an either/or situation?

I'd love to hear a discussion about this among those knowledgeable about lighting. Which is the better way to reduce DLI, via reduced light intensity or reduced hours of light? Or is it just an either/or situation?
I'm sure LKA and others will have thoughts on that great question, but I'd like to kick it off by mentioning that reducing light intensity reduces light penetration, so reducing the hours will maintain the amount of light getting to the lowers but reduce the overall DLI.

Also, reducing the intensity is something that happens as the sun gets lower in the sky, but it's accompanied by the reduction in total hours of light as we approach the winter solstice.

Speaking of celestial events, happy we're-back-to-12/12 day! Spring has sprung.

I'm sure LKA and others will have thoughts on that great question, but I'd like to kick it off by mentioning that reducing light intensity reduces light penetration, so reducing the hours will maintain the amount of light getting to the lowers but reduce the overall DLI.

Also, reducing the intensity is something that happens as the sun gets lower in the sky, but it's accompanied by the reduction in total hours of light as we approach the winter solstice.

Thanks Shed.

It sounds like to mimic nature's DLI would require a combination of both reducing intensity and reducing time, and reducing distance together, over time, bit by bit. :Rasta:

It sounds like to mimic nature's DLI would require a combination of both reducing intensity and reducing time together, over time, bit by bit.
It would be if that was the goal, but since folks don't take three months of slow light-time reduction to get to 12/12 or hit their plants with over 100,000 lux of the best light penetration around, I don't think it's necessary. A reduction in DLI toward the end of flower is what most charts will show, but personally I would do it by lessening the light hours rather than the PPFD (and therefore penetration).

Vivosun vGrow Smart Grow Box *Prototype V2*
Cannapot Kush Mints fem photo (Moira)

Date: 3/20/24 - Day# 126 - Flip day# 87 - Flower Day# 71
Medium: 3G pot w/ Coco
Nutrients: 4MC+1BE+1MgS = 95N-62P-206K-94Ca-58Mg-89s
Light: 50% Flowering spectrum 12/12 (32DLI)
Circulation: 8/10
Exhaust: 58%RH day / 46% RH night

Did I just say that it's been warm? Well, that's was last week :) It's cooled down in my office a lot. Moira has been much cooler in the vGrow this week, and it looks to continue for a bit.
Screenshot_20240319_143727.jpg
Moira is not drinking much and she is showing deficiencies quickly. Her upper leaves are yellowing, although she has plenty of green on the middle/bottom. Is that because she is done or is it due to the cold? Or could her res be getting too acidic and locking out (See Auto Oasis)? I haven't added anything to her res in 9 days and she's starting to look hungry. I'm mixed up some fresh nutrients for her today and will top-water 1/2 liter/day for a couple of days. I made the mix lighter in N/Ca and heavier on the P/K/Mg/S: 4MC+1BE+1MgS=95N-62P-206K-94Ca-58Mg-89s. I didn't bother pHing it, knowing it's between 6.0-6.5. She seemed really dry when I watered her, especially the top.
Moira Feeding Tracker.png
I took some trichome pictures today and I'm still seeing lots of clear.

I'm hoping the extra feed will push her into a strong finish. I took pictures of all the buds I could get today, foxtails and nanners and all. We'll see what the extra feed does, but right now it looks like she's going another week at least, maybe two...

#vivosun #vGrow #lovewhatyougrow

Thanks Shed.

It sounds like to mimic nature's DLI would require a combination of both reducing intensity and reducing time, and reducing distance together, over time, bit by bit. :Rasta:
Thanks GBD for bringing this up. It does sound like reducing the intensity and time will best mimic the natural fading of the season. But...
It would be if that was the goal, but since folks don't take three months of slow light-time reduction to get to 12/12 or hit their plants with over 100,000 lux of the best light penetration around, I don't think it's necessary. A reduction in DLI toward the end of flower is what most charts will show, but personally I would do it by lessening the light hours rather than the PPFD (and therefore penetration).
Thanks Shed for your perspective. I agree that we are not trying to mimic nature in other ways, why would we here? Keeping the intensity up for penetration is also a good point. As for the best way to lower DLI (and whether it is even needed), I have no idea. You've made a good case for reducing the #hours vs. the intensity, though.

Moira is not drinking much and she is showing deficiencies quickly. Her upper leaves are yellowing, although she has plenty of green on the middle/bottom. Is that because she is done or is it due to the cold?
A couple of things come to mind: temps below 65ºF slow the uptake of Mg, and others follow as temps drop below that. Also, if Moira is pushing out nanners then it could be natural fade because the end is nigh.
I didn't bother pHing it, knowing it's between 6.0-6.5. She seemed really dry when I watered her, especially the top.
I always thought coco had to be under 6.0 for full nutrient uptake, which always made me wonder about bottom watering coco without constant monitoring of the res. But all I know about coco is from reading!

A couple of things come to mind: temps below 65% slow the uptake of Mg, and others follow as temps drop below that. Also, if Moira is pushing out nanners then it could be natural fade because the end is nigh.
She's still in the low-mid 70s during the day, although she is getting down to 60 at night. I have considered that she's just finished but I'm hoping she has another push.
I always thought coco had to be under 6.0 for full nutrient uptake, which always made me wonder about bottom watering coco without constant monitoring of the res. But all I know about coco is from reading!
Coco is hydro and will do OK from 5.5-6.5. My target in hydro is usually 5.8-6.0. I've found that pH tends to drift up in veg and down in flower, though, so I feed at 5.6-5.8 in veg and 6.0-6.2 in flower. From experience I know my MC mix tends to drift down in pH the longer it sits. Based on what happened in the Auto Oasis, I'm also guessing the remaining nutrients in Moira's res are pretty acidic and that's why she isn't drinking. Based on all that I'm feeling pretty comfortable giving her nutes in the 6.0-6.5 range. Of course if I'm wrong I'll just harvest sooner ;)

It's been even colder this week and I've left the heater off. She's getting chilly now.
1000020487.jpg

Date: 3/25/24 - Day# 131 - Flip day# 92 - Flower Day# 76
Light: 50% Flowering spectrum 11/13 (30DLI)
Exhaust: 55%RH day / 42% RH night

I've been top-watering Moira through the finish. Even though it's been cooler than usual in my office, she's now drinking more than ever. I think a lot of that is evaporation, though, as the top dries out.
Moira Feeding Tracker.png
I can't believe this lady is finishing up her 11th week of flower! It looks like she may last one more week, too. She's showing all the signs of finishing up now. I'm seeing her calyx swell and open like they are swallowing the pistils in places. I was able to raise the corners of the bottom net by sliding the connection points up, which is helping keep the sagging buds off the walls. I'm still seeing quite a few clear trichomes, though, so I'll give her a few more days. Her leaves are turning yellow from the top down, with plenty of green still near the bottom. I'll let her continue to use up her reserves as I tail off the feedings this week. It's almost chop time for Moira!

She took her time and it looks like she's worth the wait, BudMan!

I wonder if the yellowing from the top down is a result of the bottom feeding?

You know it's getting close when even the foxtails' pistils are going brown!
:yahoo:
She took her time and it looks like she's worth the wait, BudMan!
Thanks GDB.
I wonder if the yellowing from the top down is a result of the bottom feeding?
I think she slowed down on bottom feeding and the pH got out of whack. I've been top-feeding her for the last couple of days, but it might just be her time too.

:yahoo:

Thanks GDB.

I think she slowed down on bottom feeding and the pH got out of whack. I've been top-feeding her for the last couple of days, but it might just be her time too.
I agree it must be her time! I'm just accustomed to seeing plants yellow from the bottom up at this stage. :Rasta:

I agree it must be her time! I'm just accustomed to seeing plants yellow from the bottom up at this stage. :Rasta:
Do you change your nutrients at the end of the grow, or keep the same thing through the end?

Do you change your nutrients at the end of the grow, or keep the same thing through the end?
Sometimes I've fed full nutrients until the end, sometimes I've reduced nutrients near the end and sometimes I've stopped feeding nutrients at all near the end.

I don't have a set way of finishing, BudMan. It's my Achilles heel.

I'm on a mission to find the best way for me -- nutrients, lights and environment! :Rasta:

Sometimes I've fed full nutrients until the end, sometimes I've reduced nutrients near the end and sometimes I've stopped feeding nutrients at all near the end.

I don't have a set way of finishing, BudMan. It's my Achilles heel.

I'm on a mission to find the best way for me -- nutrients, lights and environment! :Rasta:
You and me both, GDB. And right now I don't even feel like I'm close. Way too many foxtails, nanners, and really long-running plants. I'm still enjoying the resulting bud, though, so I can't complain too much.

Date: 3/30/24 - Day# 136 - Flip day# 97 - Flower Day# 81
Light: 50% Flowering spectrum 11/13 (30DLI)
Exhaust: 55%RH day / 42% RH night

In the last two weeks, Moira's top leaves went yellow then brown and crispy. She's not drinking much anymore. Almost all of her pistils are brown and her calyx are swelling. She's looking ready.

Yesterday I opened up the vGrow on two sides and removed most of her top fans. I think of it as a pre-harvest. It doesn't really help the plant, but it sure does show off her buds ;)

I took some more trichome pictures, too. I'm still seeing some clears, but a lot more cloudy and amber as well. It's hard to get under the foxtails, though.

I plan to harvest her this weekend. I have family plans so we'll see when she actually gets chopped. There is no hurry, though, she'll be just fine hanging out in the vGrow until I'm ready.

Back
Top Bottom