Aberration Goes Ker Bloom! - Perpetual

Wow. That was 100 pages. I started this journal on May 16th, 2009 at 01:13 AM. It's been 2 years and change now that I have documented in spurts of pictures... and a continuous stream of boring feeding regimen. I have tried to include mostly what I do and the results. This should my 890th post in the thread as well, so I've talked to myself for stretches.

That seems like a long time.

Did anyone notice the thread title changed?

:peace:

Definitely doesn't seem that long ago but wow is right!!

You can rest knowing I enjoyed every post in this thread! One of the best threads on the net (pertaining to the subject matter) if you ask me. It is almost like a virtual grow bible.

:nicethread:

Anyway, just to generate something else in this thread to accompany your massive genius, I think the supports for the AHK are ready to go.

You need to let her get strong on her own! :)

I got the important transplanting done today. However, I didn't get any of the rooted clones into pots, nor did I take any cuttings. I'll have to take care of that soon. Maybe tomorrow night.

[action report]
==> Removed:

BD.6C
L.5F, L.5G, L.5H
GDP.2K
BBX.3C

==> Transplanted:

BBX.2J, L.4F
Transplanted to 9 gallon pots.
Watered in with the weekly beneficial mixture below.

MTP.1J, MTP.2A
TRN.1B, TRN.1D
GDP.2D, GDP.2G

Transplanted to 1.5 gallon pots.

AHK
Transplanted to 4.5" pot.

==> All - Weekly Beneficials / Transplant (29):

GDP.1H (41/55 days ?) : 1.50 gal
GDP.1J (41/55 days ?) : 1.50 gal
MTP (41/65 days) : 1.50 gal
MTP.1B (41/65 days) : 1.50 gal
GDP.1F (18/55 days ?) : 1.00 gal
GDP.1K (18/55 days ?) : 1.00 gal

BBX.2J, L.4F : 1.00 gal ea

BD.5S : 0.50 gal ea
MTP.1J, MTP.2A
TRN.1B, TRN.1D
GDP.2D, GDP.2G

BD.6D, BD.6E : feed to saturation
L.5D, L.5E
BBX.3A, BBX.3B
GDP.2L
AHK

-Batch A, bloom:
-Mix (8) gallons
pH target: 6.20 (±.10) Actual: 6.23 @ 22.1 C

-Batch B, veg:
-Mix (7) gallons
pH target: 6.20 (±.10) Actual: 6.24 @ 22.2 C

-Per gallon:
1/2 T Myco powder
1 t Gnatrol (Bt-i - Bacillus thuringiensis var. israelensis)
1/2 t Companion (Bacillus subtilis)
1 t Hygrozyme

[/action report]

I got the second coat of paint on most of the new bloom room. Then I ran out of time.

That new room looks really nice.
Looks like your yield is increasing (those buds look VERY dense) or is it just me?
Sorry I haven't been around much, spend most of my time on the mrnice board these days.

I can't remember . . . it's been so long since you wrestled with heat issues, but what kind of temps are you running in there?

As far as sprouting seeds, I wonder if you might have better luck planting them straight into your soil mix instead of the oasis cubes?
I know I used to have a much easier time planting sprouts in soil than rockwool.

How about some wide angle shots of the new room(s)?

That new room looks really nice.
Looks like your yield is increasing (those buds look VERY dense) or is it just me?
Sorry I haven't been around much, spend most of my time on the mrnice board these days.

I can't remember . . . it's been so long since you wrestled with heat issues, but what kind of temps are you running in there?

As far as sprouting seeds, I wonder if you might have better luck planting them straight into your soil mix instead of the oasis cubes?
I know I used to have a much easier time planting sprouts in soil than rockwool.

How about some wide angle shots of the new room(s)?

They do look more productive to me. A year is too long to wait between bulb changes.

In the past 24 hours, temp has been 73-76°F and humidity 41-47%. It was in the 80's here today. It might hit 100°F in the summer a couple times, but usually 90's is fine. I can keep the temps that tight because the room is 8.5'x10'x9' and there's a 25,000 Btu AC going in there. If the AC fails, it get hots fast with 4 x 600W. In the new bloom space I eventually expect to have 2 ACs of this size so one or both can be used as needed. It's one of the ideas that put me to playing with computer automation for my garden. I'm just too busy for that right now.

As for going direct to soil, you must be reading my mind. I think if I can find a reliable method with soil I'll be happiest. I do seem to find every possible way to fail at this, don't I? :) I'm still digging around, but I may try FF Ocean Forest. I still think there is huge value in soaking them. A seed that is only partly hydrated is worse off than a seed that is fully hydrated and coming out into a relatively dry environment. That's just my own brand of pop science there. I have no evidence - it just seems right to me.

But then maybe directly into the FF mix and moisten with a sprayer if needed. I can manipulate the veg down to 30% rh with my dehumidifier, and of course just work less for more humidity if needed.

Anyone want to suggest an ideal humidity for starting seeds?

I know you are supposed to uncover them as soon as they break surface if you cover them at all. I'm still thinking it through and looking at other people's experiences. I'm not sure about any of that.

As for pics, I would love to, but I actually lent my camera to a family member, something I almost never do. I'll try tomorrow, but at the moment the walls are so white there's not much to see. :)

I was going to clone and transplant some more tonight, but I'm not up to it. My usual pains for which I have a card have been compounded with a different pain due to a separate new issue. I just want to go veg in front of the TV with my wife. See you all tomorrow.

They are looking real good abberration =) I suggest higher humidity, it promotes females from seed. Low Rh is gonna do the opposite, promote males. Good luck with the new seeds, you'll get the hang of it.

Thanks. Maybe around 60% rh then?

[action report]
==> Bloom - Pre-feed flush (6)

1. GDP.1H (43/55 days?) : 0.50 gal ea
GDP.1J (43/55 days?)
MTP (43/65 days)
MTP.1B (43/65 days)
GDP.1F (20/55 days?)
GDP.1K (20/55 days?)

-Mix (3) gallons
-Per gallon:
1 T liquid steamed bone meal
1 T Yucca
pH target: 6.20 (±.10) Actual: 6.22 @ 19.1 C
1 t blackstrap molasses

==> Bloom - Feed (6)

1. GDP.1H : 1.25 gal ea
GDP.1J

-Mix (3) gallons - TAPER
-Per gallon:
2 T liquid steamed bone meal
1 T Biggest Bloom
2 t PGE
1 t Silica Blast
1 t Cal-Mag
1 T Yucca
2 t Notrozyme
2 t Organic Supplement
1 t Soil Nute
--- t Big Foot (ord)
1/2 t Calcium Syrup
1/2 t Carbon sweet
2 T Amino Blast
--- t TM-7
Natural @ 1090 ppm
pH target: 6.20 (±.10) Actual: 6.15 @ 19.4 C
1/2 t Companion
1 t Hygrozyme

2. MTP
MTP.1B

-Mix (3) gallons - LATE
-Per gallon:
1 T Biggest Bloom
2 t PGE
1 t Silica Blast
1 t Cal-Mag
1 T Yucca
2 t Notrozyme
2 t Organic Supplement
1 t Soil Nute
--- t Big Foot (ord)
1 t Calcium Syrup
1/2 t Carbon sweet
2 T Amino Blast
1/2 t TM-7
Natural @ 1160 ppm
pH target: 6.20 (±.10) Actual: 6.13 @ 19.6 C
1/2 t Companion
1 t Hygrozyme

3. GDP.1F : 0.75 gal ea
GDP.1K

-Mix (2) gallons - MID
-Per gallon:
2 T Biggest Bloom
2 t PGE
1 t Silica Blast
1 t Cal-Mag
1 T Yucca
2 t Notrozyme
2 t Organic Supplement
2 t Soil Nute
--- t Big Foot (ord)
1 t Calcium Syrup
1/2 t Carbon sweet
2 T Amino Blast
1/2 t TM-7
Natural @ 1280 ppm
pH target: 6.20 (±.10) Actual: 6.14 @ 20.4 C
1/2 t Companion
1 t Hygrozyme

==> Large Veg (9):

1. BBX.2J : 1.00 gal ea
L.4F

BD.5S : 0.50 gal
MTP.1J, MTP.2A : feed to saturation
GDP.2D, GDP.2G
TRN.1B, TRN.1D

-Mix (6) gallons
-Per gallon:
1 T Pure Blend Pro Grow
1 t Cal-Mag
1 T Yucca
1 t Big Foot (1st)
--- t TM-7
Natural @ 1100 ppm
pH target: 6.20 (±.10) Actual: 6.28 @ 20.7 C
1/2 t Companion

==> Small Veg (8):

1. BD.6D, BD.6E : feed to saturation
L.5D, L.5E
BBX.3A, BBX.3B
GDP.2L

AHK

-Mix (1) gallon
-Per gallon:
2 t Pure Blend Pro Grow
1 t Cal-Mag
1 T Yucca
--- t Big Foot (ord)
--- t TM-7
Natural @ 680 ppm
pH target: 6.20 (±.10) Actual: 6.17 @ 20.2 C
1/2 t Companion

[/action report]

about 50-60% ideal...

I'm not sure 30 or 40 would really hurt a seedling much besides promoting male tendencies though. If you have a stress free environment; low temps, high rh, stay away from low medium moisture levels, more blue light and fewer hours of daylight (ex 14 hrs), you will have mostly female seeds and they will thrive. I quoted the environmental facts from Jorge's Bible but I have also seen Docbud achieve high rates of female seeds when following these guidelines.

Did you say you were having troubles with oasis cubes? I've not used them but I have used grodan rockwool and if you are not careful to keep it moist things can dry up quick, also overwatering is easy as they hold a good amount of water. I think direct seeding will help you start healthier seedlings and because your environment is dialed in you can really give the young ones a perfect environment.

Yeah, the Oasis cubes were suggested by a guy that works at the local grow shop. He said they work well for him because they maintain the right moisture level really well. The thing is, I'm not seeing that, but I think it might be my low humidity.

I think a soak-then-soil attempt is in my near future. I just need to decide which strains and get them soaking.

That said, I was thinking about how these plant likely reproduce in the wild. Do cannabis seeds fall out of the plant when it dies off at the end of the season? If so, there may be an ideal bedding material in old bud. Typically that's what fruits are - a nutrient rich deposit the seeds can start in. If seed don't fall out then I would expect that a bud is likely to have the necessary contents for a good start. I could embed a seed in a bud, embed the bud in the top soil of a pot and keep it moist.

I know that's counter to the way everyone thinks because it's a huge waste of bud, but I throw out old bud I couldn't smoke in time all the time. I only use about 2 oz per month and I grow 12-18 oz per month on average. I give away what I can, but there is always excess that just goes bad. I could hijack some of that and try starting a seed in a damp old bud. Do you think it would work?

I guess it really depends on whether it is normal for seed to start in a fallen bud or if instead they normally fall out and start alone. Where's my Clarke book...

I'm probably just stoned and spouting silly ideas.

GDP.1H and GDP.1J (Grandaddy Purps) had their last meal tonight. The have a 10 day flush and then they come down.

The MTPs (Matanuskan Thunderf.) come out in 20 days, and then two weeks after that the other two GDPs come out. That's all six in a 24 day period. I didn't do a very good job of staggering, did I. Oh well. I put 'em in based on what's good when it's time.

[action report]
==> Bloom - Pre-feed flush (6)

1. GDP.1H (45/55 days?) : 0.50 gal ea
GDP.1J (45/55 days?)
MTP (45/65 days)
MTP.1B (45/65 days)
GDP.1F (22/55 days?)
GDP.1K (22/55 days?)

-Mix (3) gallons
-Per gallon:
1 T liquid steamed bone meal
1 T Yucca
pH target: 6.20 (±.10) Actual: 6.14 @ 20.7 C
1 t blackstrap molasses

==> Bloom - Feed (6)

1. GDP.1H : 1.50 gal ea
GDP.1J

-Mix (3) gallons - TAPER
-Per gallon:
1 T Biggest Bloom
2 t PGE
1 t Silica Blast
1 t Cal-Mag
1 T Yucca
2 t Notrozyme
2 t Organic Supplement
1 t Soil Nute
--- t Big Foot (ord)
1/2 t Calcium Syrup
1/2 t Carbon sweet
2 T Amino Blast
1/2 t TM-7
Natural @ 1150 ppm
pH target: 6.20 (±.10) Actual: 6.16 @ 21.1 C
1/2 t Companion
1 t Hygrozyme

2. MTP : 1.50 gal ea
MTP.1B

-Mix (3) gallons - LATE
-Per gallon:
1 T Biggest Bloom
2 t PGE
1 t Silica Blast
1 t Cal-Mag
1 T Yucca
2 t Notrozyme
2 t Organic Supplement
1 t Soil Nute
--- t Big Foot (ord)
1 t Calcium Syrup
1/2 t Carbon sweet
2 T Amino Blast
1/2 t TM-7
Natural @ 1150 ppm
pH target: 6.20 (±.10) Actual: 6.24 @ 21.0 C
1/2 t Companion
1 t Hygrozyme

3. GDP.1F : 1.00 gal ea
GDP.1K

-Mix (2) gallons - MID
-Per gallon:
2 T Biggest Bloom
2 t PGE
1 t Silica Blast
1 t Cal-Mag
1 T Yucca
2 t Notrozyme
2 t Organic Supplement
2 t Soil Nute
--- t Big Foot (ord)
1 t Calcium Syrup
1/2 t Carbon sweet
2 T Amino Blast
1/2 t TM-7
Natural @ 1360 ppm
pH target: 6.20 (±.10) Actual: 6.19 @ 20.9 C
1/2 t Companion
1 t Hygrozyme

==> Large Veg (9):

1. BBX.2J : 1.00 gal ea
L.4F

BD.5S : 0.50 gal
MTP.1J, MTP.2A
GDP.2D, GDP.2G
TRN.1B, TRN.1D

-Mix (6) gallons
-Per gallon:
1 T Pure Blend Pro Grow
1 t Cal-Mag
1 T Yucca
1 t Big Foot (2nd)
--- t TM-7
Natural @ 840 ppm
pH target: 6.20 (±.10) Actual: 6.21 @ 20.7 C
1/2 t Companion

==> Small Veg (8):

1. BD.6D, BD.6E : feed to saturation
L.5D, L.5E
BBX.3A, BBX.3B
GDP.2L

AHK

-Mix (1) gallon
-Per gallon:
2 t Pure Blend Pro Grow
1 t Cal-Mag
1 T Yucca
--- t Big Foot (ord)
--- t TM-7
Natural @ 630 ppm
pH target: 6.20 (±.10) Actual: 6.15 @ 20.4 C
1/2 t Companion

[/action report]

You have gotten very good at what you do my friend!

:peace: cocoJoe

Thank you CocoJoe, but have you seen me trying to pop seeds? I'm 1 for 8, lol. I'm getting it though. I think that any good in what I do is the result of doing it wrong until I figure out how to do it right.

Glad to see you dropped in.

[action report]
==> Transplanted (18):

BD.6F, BD.6G, BD.6H
MTP.2E, MTP.2F, MTP.2G, MTP.2H
TRN.2A, TRN.2B, TRN.2C
GDP.2N, GDP.2P
BBX.3D, BBX.3E, BBX.3F
L.5J, L.5K, L.5L

All from rooted clones.
Transplanted to 3.5" pots.
Fed to saturation.

-Mix (2) gallons.
-Per gallon:
2 T Organic Supplement
1 t Big Foot (1st)
2 t PGE
1 oz. Yucca
Natural @ 530 ppm
pH target: 6.20 (±.05) Actual: 6.19 @ 20.8 C
1/2 t Companion
1/2 T Myco powder
1 t Bt-i

[/action report]

Thank you CocoJoe, but have you seen me trying to pop seeds? I'm 1 for 8, lol. I'm getting it though. I think that any good in what I do is the result of doing it wrong until I figure out how to do it right.

Aberration, I soak my seeds twentyfour hours and then carefully hand crack them if they haven't crack on their own. I then put them into a moist paper towel untill the tap root is 1 to 1 1/2 inches long. I then put my sprouted seeds into coco. I can sprout 12 year old seeds, not all of them though.
The hand cracking is what does the trick. I use a forceps and squeeze gently.
some day I'll show this in a thread with pictures.

:peace: cocoJoe

I have been thinking about leaves and removing them during bloom.

Disclaimer: This is not a balanced view on the topic, as I'm still thinking it through and may not know about other issues. Once again, I am just a stoned gardener. I'm not an authority on anything.

I'm not sure that using defoliation to shorten internodal spaces is a great idea. Honestly, it's just quite literally stunting the growth. If you want to add time to compensate, that's great, but you can only add so much time. The maturation of the trichomes keeps it's own timescale, so once they start to produce, those trichs are aging to opaque, then amber, then toast. Delay too much and you won't want to wait as long as it takes for the plant to recover, because the existing trichs get too old. That's a tricky game.

Leaves feed themselves and are otherwise a one-way conduit to other parts of the plant. They are not generally a drain. Every injury to the plant causes the plant to compensate for that loss elsewhere by growing more leaf. So leaving a useful leaf is a plus, and plucking it early will divert more energy from growing buds and instead use it to grow leaves. Obviously the common refrain to pluck only dead and 50% damaged leaves makes sense in this regard.

But who noticed the most important takeaway from all that?

Did it occur to you yet?

The plant grows bud because it wants to offer a lot of opportunity to reproduce. The plant grows leaf to produce sugars, to build buds. What needs sunlight? The leaves. Not the buds. Buds will mature, pop pistils, wilt and produce trichomes in shade. They are powered by the leaves. The only reason to strip leaves is to expose more leaves.

Under this theory, bottom buds are all popcorn not because the buds don't get light, but rather the leaves down there don't get light. Maximize the amount of leaf that is exposed to light to get the most bud.

Am I missing something? I'm just an amateur. Please feel free to chime in if you can confirm or deny my hypothesis. Sure feels right though. Once again, where is my Clarke book?

Back
Top Bottom