AK1 Grows Indicas with JD Lightings

I agree, I guess my issue was that 10 amps leway per ballast is a bit much. Even if we say each ballast is steadily drawing 5 amps while running 15 amps to be on the safe side is a bit much. I do not know of ANY company that has a 4 plug light timer that has more then a 50 amp rating and they want me to have a 60 amp breaker and line. Little overkill if you ask me.

lol take a few deep breaths my friend.

if your anything like me i can see you losing it, ripping up the mains cable and stabbing your breaker with it whilst screaming something like 'f'ukn ave it ya cunt' and laughing maniacally. =D

is it just lights and ballasts on that breaker btw?
It is yeah. I'm thinking I might be able to get away with a 40 amp breaker and be ok. I just PM'd JD lighting. We will see what they have to say about thier crazy numbers and I will call CAP tomorrow and see if a 40 amp breaker will be ok.
Yeah, I'm gettin a bit tired of this...should have went with my original plan of running 120. If i had we wouldn't be talking about this anymore.

Ok, so something is amiss, I have been reading JD lighting information. At 240 volts each light is suppose to draw 4.28 amps x 4 which is 17.4 amps. Now at start up add an additional 3 amps. dpoesn't say if that is per light or not. Lets say for arguement sake it is. that would put me at 29.12 amps. Just a hair under my 30 amp breaker.
Now read thier directions further and they want 10 amps extra per ballast so in other words I would need close to 60 amps in order to run all thier lights. Frickin crazy
I took one light off line and everything seems to be working fine. Put the 4th light back in service and the breaker blows again.
I'm calling them tomorrow. 60 amps to run 4 lights is crazy man.

ummm... I'm not trying to be argumentative here.... its just my hyper-critical thinking.

29.12a total right?
10a extra per ballast... that's 40a
29.12+40=69.12a That's close to 70 amps, not 60.

sorry. I had to correct math. I can't help it. I guess I'm OCD with numbers.

ummm... I'm not trying to be argumentative here.... its just my hyper-critical thinking.

29.12a total right?
10a extra per ballast... that's 40a
29.12+40=69.12a That's close to 70 amps, not 60.

sorry. I had to correct math. I can't help it. I guess I'm OCD with numbers.

Thanks Jandre, it was late and I was very frustrated.

aww.... no uproarious comeback? did I go too far? I'm sorry.

naw, you didn't go too far lol
just tired of the whole situation. I have solved it now by getting a bigger breaker. It's only the intial start up thats causing the issue. once they are running the 30 amp would be/is more then enough. The wire I ran is rated to 30 amps. The spike though at start up shouldn't cause an issue though with the 10/2 wire I ran. Technically though if running a 50 amp breaker I should be running a 8 gauge wire.

Seems like CAP should put a 2 or 3 minute staggered start in the unit to account for the high startup load. I'd be interested in a shot of the inside of the unit if you ever open it up. Can you hear it go "click" when it starts or is it quiet? Just wondering if there are relays or solid state relays inside....may be possible to mod.

is this just a pain in the ass or becoming an emergency?
im just wondering if maybe you can run one of the ballasts from elsewhere.
think the line for an electric shower is at least 20 amps.

Right now it's just a fucking PITA. I have a few days to sort this shit out. Not sure anyone here has run this many JD lights at once. I can see it becoming an issue. I was going to order 6 more lights but may have to rethink that. No such issues with my I-power ballasts.

AK1: somethings gota be wrong other than, the work you've done. JDL ballasts I don't know whats up?
My C.A.P. Box. had a wiring issue from the factory. I caught it. It might have slipped by some1 else......It was the main ground wire. It wasn't stripped enough, and the set screw was tightened down on the insulator/insulation. I wouldn't have noticed except when I inserted my cables, ground, it pushed C.A.P's wire back to expose the default.

Maybe check some of caps wiring. I'll see if I can get a pic of defect.

Do ya understand me this time?

My other cap box was ok.

IMG_044710.JPG

Back
Top Bottom