AKGramma's Perpetual Grow

Trimmed just the buds off a BBL and an AK 48 the last couple days, leaving on the teeny-tiny spots of green. I have the BBL in front of a window, trying to reveg her. I have to find room outside the tent for the harvested AK48, but where she wont be seen thru the window. Our daylength is a couple hours longer than 12/12 now, so maybe I'll finally be successful at a reveg.

Only a few bowl-sized buds this time around, but the plants were big and healthy. My rejuvenated soil ought to give me a better yield next harvest.

Still on the fence about whether I should do a single-strain crop this time to keep things simple, and whether it should be fems, auto, or regulars. I have a good stash of seeds to choose from, so I wont be buying any for a long time.

AKgramma, would you mind if I jump in here and subscribe?

:cco::smokin::high-five:

AKgramma, would you mind if I jump in here and subscribe?

:cco::smokin::high-five:

Not at all! I am a soil grower of many decades, first with flower and veggie gardens, then when it became legal, Cannabis. I grow simply and economically, and use as much of the plant as possible for cooking, edibles, capsules (medicine for myself) and save the best-looking buds for smoke for the family.

I'm so far below you folks who make oil, hash products, etc., So I hope you don't get too bored at my indoor, down-to-the-basics grows.

My goal is to improve every grow, and now am concentrating on my own homemade soil mix, from one of the organic recipes on the organic forums.
:welcome:

Just a note... I flowered my last set at 13.5 on and 10.5 off. I really think you need 16+ hrs to keep them in veg and I would think maybe even 20-4 for revegging.

If you give me a list of seed options, I'll gladly vote on something I'd like to see. ;)

LOL! I was showing my granddaughter-in-law all the strains I had for her itty bitty closet and suggested an Auto so she wouldn't have to fuss with light schedules. If one has room for only 1 plant, it has to be an Auto Fem.

Among those gifted, purchased, and seeded by me, I have maybe 10 - 12 strains. I think I will settle on the AK 48 Fem, because I still need to dial in on getting them right, so they don't lose all their leaves before harvest. I expect my new soil mix will do the trick.

:goodluck:

This grow, all my ladies in the large tent, including the autos, have topped out at about 4 feet, and are producing the best topical buds I have ever grown! One of the Autoberrys has pure white tips, like Sue's CBD critical cure.

The BBL mama in her own shelving unit has grown 4 feet wide and 3 feet tall, and has Sativa-like buds all the way down to the bottom. Her buds peaked yesterday and today the tips are beginning to turn amber. So sometime in May, Ill be harvesting her very carefully, doing my best to save the leaves for reveg.

I don't think her clones (5th generation) are going to make it, but I have her sister revegging in a South window. The natural day length is only 14 hours and change right now, and you give much higher daylight hours to ensure a reveg. And no place to give her and a revegging AK 48 a dedicated space. Oh well.......

As always, Spitz, I enjoy your hints, as well as your adventures. :love:

a few pics. Kinda hard to aim & click the camera with one hand, while holding the flap open with the other. All too heavy to haul out of the tents.

Mama Bubblelicious, 4th generation clone. 3 ft tall, 4 ft wide. Couldn't aim to get the top bud.

BBL_mother_4-22-17.JPG

BBL_mother2_4-22-17.JPG

Right and left Autoberry's, 4 feet tall just past peak flower.

Autoberry_4-22-17.JPG

Autoberry_2_-_4-22-17.JPG

AK 48 flower portrait in front of Autos. Lower popcorn buds already harvested.

AK48_4-22-17.JPG

The Auto Jock Horrors are hidden in the back, much shorter because I had let their taproots hit bottom in their solo cups, not realizing that they WERE autos! Next JH seeds will be treated more carefully and will have many more buds.

Taken during their sleep time to get real colors. At this point, one flash is not going to mess them up.

At this point, no mites to be seen, since most of the larger fan leaves have been removed, and I diligently sprayed a couple times a week when they were present. But, of course, the damaged leaves that are still functioning have been left. There seems to be a lot less to trim out on a daily basis than there used to be.

Maybe I'm doing something right.

The two empty bins with solo cups are filled with the new soil, waiting for me to put a seed into each cup. The bottoms of the cups have been cut out, and the sides split up to the rim, to make their removal easier when the babies have their third set of leaves. In case you are a newbie reading this, you water just in the cups when the seedlings are small, until their 3rd set of leaves, then you can safely water the whole bin. This method theoretically prevents too much wet soil around the developing roots. It also eliminates the need for transplanting, which is much better for Autos.

My plan is to move Mama BBL into the big tent when a few more of the others are harvested, and set this 2' x 4' shelving unit to 16/8 for the seedlings. The unit is small enough to handle seedlings and juveniles, and all the height adjustments needed during veg. Mamma BBL will be slower to harvest than the Autos, I think, but one never knows. No matter WHO makes room, I'll be able to start the next grow.

Hey AK just driving thru.. Thought I'd throw something out there,,, and mean nothing against ya.... One thing I've found over the years,,, is a plant going into transion, eats up the calcium.. That acounts for the margins getting yellowed to bronzed colored... They grow outta of it as a rule... But I've come down to seeing a little extra cal-mag at transion helps ALOT... Kind of like milk builds stronge bones,,, ca makes strong buds....Just my two cents... Girls look great Keepem Green

Hey AK just driving thru.. Thought I'd throw something out there,,, and mean nothing against ya.... One thing I've found over the years,,, is a plant going into transion, eats up the calcium.. That acounts for the margins getting yellowed to bronzed colored... They grow outta of it as a rule... But I've come down to seeing a little extra cal-mag at transion helps ALOT... Kind of like milk builds stronge bones,,, ca makes strong buds....Just my two cents... Girls look great Keepem

Green

You're right. Altho my water is high in calcium, it must be in a form the plant's can't use. I'll have to remember to add the cal/mag next watering. I've been neglecting that since I put them in flower early February.

Dude,,, It's always a good thing to throw some cal-mag extra,,, I use alot of bone meal,,, but that's a slow release which works great for throughout... but I found when your ready to flower-em,, always juice-em with cal.... You'll see ALOT of plants with that will look the same ,,, alot of mine too,, yellow edges,, turn to bronze around the edges typical...... My water is tooooo PPM minus,,, and some to high,,, will lock you out... Means hard water... I'm not sure what a PPM pen shows with your water.... But that little problem isn't anything to worry about.. But next time,,, when you flip to 12/12,,, juice the cal for the first couple waterings and see if it don't happen again????? GL and Keepem Green

Dude,,, It's always a good thing to throw some cal-mag extra,,, I use alot of bone meal,,, but that's a slow release which works great for throughout... but I found when your ready to flower-em,, always juice-em with cal.... You'll see ALOT of plants with that will look the same ,,, alot of mine too,, yellow edges,, turn to bronze around the edges typical...... My water is tooooo PPM minus,,, and some to high,,, will lock you out... Means hard water... I'm not sure what a PPM pen shows with your water.... But that little problem isn't anything to worry about.. But next time,,, when you flip to 12/12,,, juice the cal for the first couple waterings and see if it don't happen again????? GL and Keepem Green

Thanks! I feel like I'm at the point now, that I'm dialing in on specific problems, having gotten the soil, mite treatments, and bin size down. Just fine-tuning the nutes and trying to remember to USE them all! ;-)

What I was meaning,,, even in a happy healthy plant,,, that stretch really sucks in the calcium.... I ammend ALOT of things such as bone meal and - k-mag to my soils... But even with the extra,,, don't seem to breakdown fast enought to feed the needs of my flowers... Or least that first 2 weeks... Bone meal,,,, a real slow release form... Least the coarse form I use at the beginning of it growth. Bone meal is a major support for microbial too... I like blood meal myself,,, over the EWC area and I think it's more ready avaiavble than worm shit.. I'm not 100% but...it's nice to be able to atleast not ever have to worrry about veg or early flower mode..... in my girls because of organics......

Keepem Green

That is sorta what I read in the organics forum, that it's all about the soil. A really complete soil means one should not have to fertilize, altho your comments suggest I should feed during periods of rapid growth/transition. This makes sense.

Heya AK hope you don't mind us asking a question here. We have heard of a few folks that have grown outdoors here, never seen an outdoor grow here or anywhere else for that matter lol. Our question is if you have or know of an outdoors grow up here, how do they deal with the sun being up all the time? Use autos? Just Veg outdoors and then move a tree into an area to flower it? We're just courous how it can be done in the midnight sun.

Thanks for any help

Blessed Buds our friend and be well :passitleft:

There were a couple of people in the Interior who grew outdoors. I don't remember the particulars, but you CAN use the daylight swing to your advantage, esp for vegging great big ladies, then, if necessary, bring them indoors to finish up before the nighttime temps hit the 50's.

One was drain to waste in a large greenhouse. I remember, because he was/is? such a great handyman. His plants kept hitting the ceiling. And he DID bring them to harvest before it got too cold. Lotsa pics. If he's still around, I can find him from my subbed journals. If so, I'll PM you with the link.

I can't get into the other's journal. It was suspended after he abruptly disappeared. 'Nough said there.....

You KNOW how big gardeners can grow their veggies up your way. I imagine you follow the same seeding and planting schedule you do for tomatoes and other above-ground veggies. Gotta start them indoors in April, so they are ready to go outdoors by June 1st. The greenhouse will protect them from high wind and cold snaps, also keep them somewhat stealthy. Oh, and protection from the moose and roaming critters.

So, yeah, you can def grow autos and Indicas, and short maturing hybrids in the Interior outdoors in a greenhouse.

So, yeah, you can def grow autos and Indicas, and short maturing hybrids in the Interior outdoors in a greenhouse.

What I meant to say was fast-maturing hybrids. Height depends on training and strain.

Harvest day for the 4-foot Autoberry! She is sticky as superglue! Scent is subtle, woody, with a tad of something that reminds me of East Indian incense. Very calming just smelling my fingers. Lots of scissor and finger hash!

Pics are immediately after harvest, ready for drying in a flat tupperware container with the lid just cracked open. I lay an RH/thermometer in to keep track of the moisture content. I feel the smaller buds daily and jar those that are ready, and give the larger buds/colas time to dry properly.

Autoberry was "born" (from seed) on 1-28-2017, 84 days to harvest, when the pistils were 85%-90% amber. This lady kept most of her leaves to the end.

The layout:

Autoberry_4-25-2017_harvest.JPG

And the weigh-in, wet weight. The upload rotated the pic. Sorry.

Autoberry_wet_weight_4-25-2017.JPG

The last AK 48 is ready to harvest, too. Will try to get to her today or tomorrow.

The other Autoberry still has a week or two left.

Very easy to grow, other than the usual war with mites.

To finish off the night I harvested the Auto Jock Horror and the last of the AK 48's. So I have three separate containers of buds, slowly drying. I find it much easier to trim the leaves off while they are still on the plant, then snip the buds off into the bins. Neither one gave as much yield as the Auto Berry. All three plants were started from seed within a week of each other, so matured to harvest in about 85 days, average.

And, no, I didn't weight the last two. Will do so when I jar them.

I notice that this time I have many more healthy leaves for use as herbs. This tells me I'm making progress with my growing methods. :high-five:

Having harvested three ladies, I had room to move the mama BBL into the big tent with the rest of the ladies, (two more Auto Berrys and the Arjan's haze) and put the harvested photo fems into the small unit for revegging.

I'm learning to leave more tiny leaves on the stems, hopefully to convince them to come back. I'm not having much luck cloning, so if I can find the trick to revegging, I can keep the photo fems going (BBL & AK 48). I wonder when I should start regular nutes on them. Any ideas?

I DID enjoy sucking the finger hash off my fingers, tho. Will have to see if I get a buzz from that. :laughtwo:

(Half-hour later) Yep. One can get a buzz from sucking finger hash......:trance:

Back
Top Bottom