All The Gear No Idea: My First Ever Grow!

Hi mate, that's a nice space you've got there, it looks like some nice equipment too. You can't go wrong posting a journal on this site. I'm a first timer too, there are many journals I could choose from to sub, but I wanted to catch one at the start and also, from a fellow beginner. I always find my self reading threads that are full of experts and terminology that I dont understand yet, so it can seem like an information overload, slowly but surely though it is sinking in. I'm gonna be taking a seat here too if you don't mind, hope all goes well for you bud.

Something many overlook, but I highly recommend is a GFI receptacle, or circuit breaker, for all electrical feeds to your grow area. It's better to have it and not need it than omit it and be unable to wish you had installed one.

Something many overlook, but I highly recommend is a GFI receptacle, or circuit breaker, for all electrical feeds to your grow area. It's better to have it and not need it than omit it and be unable to wish you had installed one.
This is something I wish I had waited for now, instead I have a situation where if a fan or light shorts out or something, it knocks out my entire room as well as my house loop main circuit. Breakers will definitely be on my list if not soon in my current grow, definitely for the next... I was warned... @TurboBucket lol

Hi mate, that's a nice space you've got there, it looks like some nice equipment too. You can't go wrong posting a journal on this site. I'm a first timer too, there are many journals I could choose from to sub, but I wanted to catch one at the start and also, from a fellow beginner. I always find my self reading threads that are full of experts and terminology that I dont understand yet, so it can seem like an information overload, slowly but surely though it is sinking in. I'm gonna be taking a seat here too if you don't mind, hope all goes well for you bud.

Thanks pal I'm hoping I have a good run first time round. I often find myself reading through treads thinking I have no idea what they are on about but everyone starts somewhere haha

First update.

I planted 3 seeds last week in bio biz soil and only 1 came up which was a disappointment. I had another 2 northen lights seeds that I germinated via the paper towel method which have gone into soil tonight so hopefully will see them come up in the next few days.

Temp is sitting around 18c and 47% humidity.

First update.

I planted 3 seeds last week in bio biz soil and only 1 came up which was a disappointment. I had another 2 northen lights seeds that I germinated via the paper towel method which have gone into soil tonight so hopefully will see them come up in the next few days.

That's a shame about the other 2 bud sorry to hear that. I watched loads of videos about germination, found it was mostly the care free or experienced growers who went straight to soil, either that or they were guys using bag seed which costs 0 and could handle it dying, I couldn't bare waiting for them to pop out of the soil, so I soaked them in water for 24 hours till they cracked open, although they can crack sooner, then moved to paper towel, either way I think paper towel is the safest my self. Good luck for the next 2 seeds.

...Temp is sitting around 18c and 47% humidity.

The temperature and humidity are both a little low for germination and seedlings. A humidity dome will address that, and a small space heater on low set to 25°C will fix the temperature. You can use clear pop/water bottle with a hole in the top, and a few low down to allow air to circulate.

Second update ....

After a comment made last time I have address the issue with heat by purchasing a small tube heater and a thermometer but haven't plugged it in yet due to having batterys and the fact mother nature has upped the heat naturally haha. But soon it should be up and running for when it drops again,

plants are doing well though ( I think ), had a drama with seeds, first I planted 3 seeds and only 1 came up. So I stuck 2 more in wet towels until I had a nice little white tail and then planted them, only 1 came up in the same pots as one of the original seeds planted decided to make an appearance so had to move it across to the other pots that had 2 unsuccessful seeds in.

But as it stands I have 1x Jack herder 1x northern lights and 1x liberty haze. I have been watering around the edge of the pots to encourage root growth and now plan on leaving for a few days until the plant shows me it time for a big water and they are getting dunked in a bucket.

So far I am happy with progress

I have also added a few insect sticky pads to keep them at bay..?.. hopefully

As always and feedback is greatly appreciated

First update.

How are you going about germination method bud I like to take my paper towel with seeds normal two water out for me ppm wise is about 150-170ppm Anyways ... put seed in cup of water for about 18 hrs and then into paper towel and then into zip lock baggies if it’s cold and dry or low humidity in house . Then I put it on internet modemn box usually day or two good to go . Always consider your environments at all times this has helped me have a better success rate . I hope that helps a bit .

Seeds liek warmth humidity air darkness . Light can fry them intense light . I think of it as you don’t want to put a see through cup in your tent right? They say it damages roots from lights right ? So keep that seeds relatively dark or possible but not enclosed in a tight area. Ventilation is needed . Good open standard room usually .

:passitleft:

First update.

Helpful chart to consider for your different stages of environmental factors

How are you going about germination method bud I like to take my paper towel with seeds normal two water out for me ppm wise is about 150-170ppm Anyways ... put seed in cup of water for about 18 hrs and then into paper towel and then into zip lock baggies if it’s cold and dry or low humidity in house . Then I put it on internet modemn box usually day or two good to go . Always consider your environments at all times this has helped me have a better success rate . I hope that helps a bit .

Seeds liek warmth humidity air darkness . Light can fry them intense light . I think of it as you don’t want to put a see through cup in your tent right? They say it damages roots from lights right ? So keep that seeds relatively dark or possible but not enclosed in a tight area. Ventilation is needed . Good open standard room usually .

:passitleft:

The next time I plant seeds in soil it should be a complete different approach. I have a little veg box in progress so I plan to do it properly next time. This was just a case of plant the seeds and see what's happens lol.

Also I take it from that chart I need to up my humidity?

The next time I plant seeds in soil it should be a complete different approach. I have a little veg box in progress so I plan to do it properly next time. This was just a case of plant the seeds and see what's happens lol.

Also I take it from that chart I need to up my humidity?
I think if you can hit 65% you’d be thankful later keep temp and humidity in range I liek personally in veg 77-80f and 55% next lower and buy try to aim for 60-65-70%

As long as you have fresh air coming good source co2 available . Fans oscillating your golden.

Update time.

Been a busy few weeks for me but I got round tonight to making some actual progress with my space and moving forward on use of my space,

First of all my plants around 2 weeks from flower now and they are coming along nicely, I have liberty haze top right, northern lights top left and jack heera bottom

The northern lights is really behind on how much water she takes but been told that just how it can be with that particular strain. They were all topped this 2 days ago to start the training process, this might be taking a little too much on for my first grow but I I have been watching videos on the web and asking question and feel i might as well try haha.

So tonight was potting up time, firstly I drilled holes around the top of the tube for wire to go through,

Then filled with biomix soil.

I then went ahead and did some low stress training to the plants to best of my ability, I would say I have done a decent enough job for a beginner and everyone starts somewhere.

All plants back in the tent and we are looking good, temp and humidity seem good and been watered, i will leave it till next time for the feed

I also decided to tackle the veg cupboard and take action on getting it set up, I have moved a few things round in the little space I have which has made a big difference to the space I have for activities,

I just need to get the fan mounted on the veg box and I can start working on clones, my brother has some white widow I really want to get my hands on, and also I would like an actual table to work on rather than boxes but does the trick and more light.

All in all though productive night I reckon and looking forward to seeing these baby's grow

As always any feed back is great and appreciated

you could do to get the tops down more than the side branching, your aiming for a nice flat canopy. The highest top will always grow the quickest, so the smaller side branches wont catch up as you are. you could supercrop the main stem and lie it flat or just bend it over and stake it down. this will give them time to catch up a bit. :passitleft:

2 weeks on.. plants have been in flower for one week now, the training looks like it's working well, I was worried I might of over stressed the plants at one point as I snapped a stem but it seems to be doing ok.

But this is how they currently look

I have also spent some time getting the space I have to work as much for me as I can, I have mocked up a few tables out of boxes and wood I had,

It's by no means perfect but it's slowly getting there lol, I have also got the veg box up and running, and have done my first clones, I took 2 from each plant just in case one didn't root, I used root it cubes with clonex gel and mist, I have also been given a white widow clone of my brother which is already rooted.

I have been told that as the plants have already entered flower they may take some time returning to veg but fingers crossed they root, it was worth a go at least

My plan is to train them slowly over the next 8 weeks and hopefully get some nice plants, everything seems to be going well and I'm looking

After a busy couple of weeks finally got round to a quick update on how it's all going

The clones are doing well. Unfortunately the liberty haze didn't take but the other 2 did so have some baby's in the making

MVIMG_20180627_202953.jpg

In the main tent everything seems to be going good. Starting to get Abit crowded now though which will more than likely affect my yeld but just have to see how we get on. Already been measuring up for more space
MVIMG_20180627_202653.jpg
IMG_20180627_203121.jpg
MVIMG_20180627_202700.jpg

I'm going away for a few days next week so hopefully the people I have grafted in show up and keep them in good health.

My plan is to pot the ones up in veg and give them a good water so they should last and have some water globes. I do hope I come back to them alive

High All,

roughly 18 weeks in from the day I put the tent up and the struggle for space is real, I got told about it and thought I would get a few grows out the way before I wanted to upgrade. nope lol, I have already started on the new grow space but I will save that for its own thread one day.

as i haven't updated for around a month i will share the pics i got along the way,

the 3 plants I have in flower are coming along nicely, the jack harrer is currently the healthiest looking plant even know that was the one I snapped in half,
IMG_2379.JPG

im really struggling with light as the tent is full but doenst look bad for a first atempt,

The Northern Lights is a odd looking plant

IMG_2378.JPG

and the last one is the liberty haze

IMG_2380.JPG

again im really struggling to get light to the bottoms but but im getting a few nice buds,

IMG_2383.JPG

i have i have been trimming the plants duo to space and i know there are many opinions on this and im not sure if it would of been better to leave them alone but i felt the need to piss around with them lol,

IMG_3097.JPG

IMG_3098.JPG

IMG_3103.JPG

this is them the other day, I'm not sure how long is left on them as I'm waiting on the delivery of a scope to check the tricones but I'm quite happy, below is the space I'm hoping to have in the current weeks, depending on what free time i can get to work on the project which along with a light upgrade I should be able to up my yield.

IMG_2377.JPG

as for the babies i have in veg these have come along way, i feel the plants respond so much better under cfls against led lights.
IMG_3075.JPG

only 2 jacks and 1 northern light rooted out of my own clones but they were are growing fast...

the white widow clone I got from my brother I decided to start training early, I have felt much more chilled knowing I have time to mess with the plant as it can't go into flower till I have space,

IMG_3078.JPG

I have topped her in a few places now and pulled her down to try and get the top flat as possible.

Back
Top Bottom