Antics Perpetual Learning Experience

re: Antics Perpetual Learning Experience

This thread helped me a lot to understand how coco coir works.
I couldn't post the link here...

by:Hundred Gram Oz

"Coco is different from soil and it should not be treated like soil, coco is a hydroponic medium (soilless medium), some like to call it 'semi-hydroponic' because it is more forgiving than full hydro. The thing is, you can water coco like you water soil, every day or 2 and you will get soil results but if you water coco a few times per day you will really reap the rewards of hydroponic results in a more stable medium. When dialing the watering schedule it's important to take into consideration the size of pot that your using and the size of your root mass, for example if you pot up some freshly rooted clones into 6.5Ltr pots and start watering them 3x per day you will run into some problems. People like to say that you can't overwater in coco, I agree with them to a certain extent but you can overwater if you give them too much when they don't have a well developed root system, that's why it's important to harden off the roots and let 'em go hunting for nutrients at the beginning, this will help to build the root system. When I pot up a freshly rooted cut I let it have wet-dry cycles for a few days then I slowly up my watering, at the end of week one I'm watering once per day, I aim to be watering 3x per day by the end of week 2. Once the root system is developed it is very very hard to overwater, they will take all you can throw at 'em and ask for more.

I also think it's important to mention that coco doesn't require the same size of a pot compared to soil, I have grown plants at 9.25oz in a 6.5Ltr pot. Less is more, unless your looking trees, don't go over 6.5Ltrs, there really is no need plus if you have a pot that's too big you could run into overwatering problems and possibly root rot. I like to add hydroton at the base of my pots, this assists in drainage, I also add layer of hydroton at the top of the coco to help slow down evaporation. I'd highly advise you to do them 2 things for an extra 'kick'.

Once you water 3x per day your plants will start to grow super fast, FAT stalks, branching growing like crazy, it really is fun seeing the explosive growth rate. I feed 3 x per day right up until flower stretch is over then I bang up the waterings to 5x per day just as the buds switch into swelling mode, the plants react great. You see, when you feed a plant you aren't just giving it fresh nutrients, you are also giving fresh oxygen to the roots, the nutrient solution saturates the medium and pushes out the stale O2, as the solution works its way down the medium it draws in fresh oxygen from the top, this is one of the reasons why I think multi feeds works so well with coco. Your giving your plants access to more fresh oxygen.

Now one of the huge advantages to growing with coco DTW is the fact that you are watering to you get a little run off each time, which goes to a waste tray/rez to be dumped later. That little bit of run off ensures that each and every time you water your plants (3-5x per day) you're also washing away excess salts, salt build up can be a problem in coco and you often have to flush it out to get rid of all the excess salts. Once you get that little bit of waste run-off from each watering you are effectively flushing it out every time you water, this means that you don't have to do a manual flush until the end of flower when you do the 'final flush'. If you don't already use it then I can highly recommend you check out a product from House & Garden called, Drip Clean, I'll not go into the science behind it because all that information is easily accessed on the internet but this product will ensure that excess salts are washed away, Drip Clean attracts salts and other build up, it helps to purge them from your medium, and it also does a great job keeping your drippers clear.

Another thing that I've noticed about growing in Coco DTW with multi feeds per day is that it's much better to feed 'little but often' just like how a bodybuilder or an athlete breaks their daily caloric intake into 6-8 meals a day to keep their metabolism in peak working order. Well from my experience the same applies to plants grown in coco, instead of watering your plants at a high EC/ppm once every few days, break it up into 3-5 smaller strength feeds each day and watch how your plants react but remember to have a developed root system before you use the multi-feeding. Once I start the multi-feeding I like to keep the EC at 1.3/650ppm (that's including 0.4EC tap water), I let the run-off tell me if the plants require more or less feed. If the waste EC rises by a point or 2 then I know they are getting too much so I adjust my EC accordingly and vice versa.

OK I've been babbling too much but if your growing in soil and want to experience something new and IMHO better, then give Coco DTW a whirl, everyone that I've helped convert has never looked back infact their gardens are thriving and they are getting the best yields that they have ever experienced."

:peace:

I have read that one- always worth a second or third read though. I am planning on growing one plant per 600 eventually. I don't know how much difference it will be between a huge plant and a bunch of smaller ones. I do know the best way to find out though. I'm piecing together an auto watering system and a bunch of other odds and ends and I'll give it a try with one of my lights. Running out of water is not an option! I think it's do-able though. Thanks guys.

Quick update again.

It's been 3 days since the last update. I am now giving about 3/4 tablespoon of CalMag in addition to normal nutes. No Calcium deficiencies have advanced since.

I meant to take some measurements today, but will need to use some I took the other day since I forgot to take some now :( I have a few things to get done this morning so I was in a bit of a rush.

Anyways, the plant was about 28" 71cm wide, and 35" 89cm measured corner to corner. I didn't measure height.

Distance from LED to highest bud site was 17" 43cm

This is by far, my biggest plant. I attribute the size to a slightly longer Veg time, even though it had a real bad PH during its early life, the coco and daily watering definitely seem to improve growth, and of course, the LED has been amazing compared to my last CFL grow.

The plant has 5 main tops, and a pretty even canopy of growth just below those tops.

And of course, a couple pictures:

IMG_20150222_075912_992.jpg

IMG_20150222_075927_379.jpg

The fan leaves on the center top are insane, and almost completely cover my hand now :)

Alright, I took some measurements:

Height from coco to tallest bud site: 16" 40.5cm
Height from coco to tallest fan leaf: 19" 48.25cm
Width: 29" 73.5cm
Diagonal: 32" 81.25cm

I remembered the diagonal measurement wrong in my earlier post, but the width was pretty much right on.

I still have a lot to learn, but I think I've done quite well in learning how to LST, considering she's almost twice as wide as she is tall, and I'm really quite proud of that. I can't even express how excited I am about how well this plant has done in getting better from her PH illness, and is now the biggest plant I've grown.

Now I just have to hope I'm able to beat that original goal I set for myself, 3+ ounces from 1 plant, to beat my previous 3+ ounce yield from 2 plants. I think I can do it, and as time goes on, I'm considering the possibility that I might be able to reach 4 ounces or better.

This is going to be a very exciting, and suspenseful grow for me personally :)

:Namaste:

We all know that you can do it. We will be watching as you break your own goals.

Keep up the good work.

Were standing right behind you.

Impressive comeback Antics.

Just popped by to say :bravo: Antics. All your problems and struggles - you are a great example of the power of persistence. And its rewards. Now look at you, calculating ounces. :thumb: Some troll will be eating his rude words. :laughtwo:
:circle-of-love:

Looking great Antics, that plant is going to go crazy now.:peace:

We all know that you can do it. We will be watching as you break your own goals.

Keep up the good work.

Were standing right behind you.

Impressive comeback Antics.

Just popped by to say :bravo: Antics. All your problems and struggles - you are a great example of the power of persistence. And its rewards. Now look at you, calculating ounces. :thumb: Some troll will be eating his rude words. :laughtwo:
:circle-of-love:

Thank you, to you four, and everyone. You guys and gals are what makes 420 Magazine an amazing place for new, and old growers, medical Cannabis patients, and political activists alike to come together to share knowledge, ideas, and offer support and a kind word for each other.

Update yadda yadda yadda.

Today is day 19 of Flower.

I started some light defoliation, removing leaves that were blocking.. well half the plant in some cases lol. Which were mostly just a few on the main top, and a couple on the outer tops that were facing in.

I'm trying to defol as little as possible, but I also want as much light as possible reaching those bud sites.

IMG_20150224_182459_759.jpg

Update yadda yadda yadda.

Today is day 19 of Flower.

I started some light defoliation, removing leaves that were blocking.. well half the plant in some cases lol. Which were mostly just a few on the main top, and a couple on the outer tops that were facing in.

I'm trying to defol as little as possible, but I also want as much light as possible reaching those bud sites.

IMG_20150224_182459_759.jpg

That's one good looking girl! :thumb:

Looks good.im pretty sure that light was one that I had on my list of one's I wanted.i spent like 2 months looking up led grow lights.cant wait to see the harvest

This light is definitely worth the $. It's kicking my CFLs ass for sure. My CFLs used twice the power, and produced half the estimated yield.

Nodes grow real nice and close too. I have zero regrets buying the light, and if I could do it all over again, I would have skipped my CFLs and just bought this LED.

This light is definitely worth the $. It's kicking my CFLs ass for sure. My CFLs used twice the power, and produced half the estimated yield.

Nodes grow real nice and close too. I have zero regrets buying the light, and if I could do it all over again, I would have skipped my CFLs and just bought this LED.

I'm very curious about growing with led, hps use too much power and emits lots of heat!
Hope you can get what you expect! Good luck!

I'm very curious about growing with led, hps use too much power and emits lots of heat!
Hope you can get what you expect! Good luck!

Same here man. This plant was Vegged for 11 weeks, it had a few weeks of PH trouble in the middle, and it's on day 20 of Flower now. Total Flower time should be 65-70 days.

I know exactly what u mean.this is my first grow not using cfls and so far it is beyond amazing how much better it is

Ok here's my two cents worth. I've been growing the same strain now Laughing Buddha inside and out for about 4 years Clones and seeds. I have never had as dense a buds as I did this time with my 96 x 3 Toplight LED panel. It seems to be just the right fit for my space.

I'm planning to upgrade with a used LED for my next grow and supplement with the CFLs. You are getting me excited Antics. Watching your girl rebound gives me great hope.

I'm planning to upgrade with a used LED for my next grow and supplement with the CFLs. You are getting me excited Antics. Watching your girl rebound gives me great hope.

I honestly love it.
My CFL grows were soil with perlite, same nutes, 14 CFLS totaling 361 watts, bulbs were always 3-6" from my canopy.

The things I noticed most with the LED:
Need to supplement CalMag (Coco naturally absorbs Ca though)
Closer nodes.
Branches growing off of main branches in Veg. (I didn't see this with CFLs until I was almost ready to Flower)
Cooler temps (Total of 10 degrees F lower, CFLs would peak at 91F so I kept the doors open during lights on, 81F max now)

It takes a little effort finding the sweet spot, for LED height, but other than that, they're really fantastic, and I think they'll make your already impressive grows, 10x better.

But I'll see how they work for me at the end of this grow. I yielded 3 ounces from 2 plants last time, I'm aiming for 3 ounces from 1 plant now. But I had that longer Veg time, even though she was sick... So 4+ ounces would be an awesome surprise. But I'm babbling here now.. I gotta go water my girl and take some pictures. I'll be back in a bit!

Update!

Day 23 of Flower.

Minor PH issues are appearing, I believe to be caused by a buildup of salts in the coco. The last couple days, the runoff is reading 6.4, after water with 5.8. Today, I PH'ed down to 5.4, initial runoff read 6.2, and total collected runoff ended up at 6.4 again.

Tomorrow I plan to flush with plain PH'ed water, down to 5.8, with no nutes, no CalMag.

Depending how much water is needed to get them back to 5.8, I may or may not resume nutes tomorrow.

I did a little more defoliation today, removing all the fan leaves that were covering budsites, maybe a total of 10-15 leaves, which I don't think is too aggressive, considering the plants size. Which it now covers an area of approximately 4 square feet :)

And for some reason my picture came out weird, it might be because the battery was low, who knows.. but it looks blue. Probably some kind of filter was disabled.. I don't know, I don't understand all this new stuff lol

IMG_20150228_185445_282.jpg

Back
Top Bottom