Bard's Second Grow: Outdoor, In-Ground, Dr. Seeds Fast Genetics

Hey everyone,

Hope that your weekend is off to a great start!

My outdoor girls are coming along really nicely. Over the course of the past week, I have topped all of them, but other than that, no other training. I didn't want to add more stress to them, as my plan had been to get them into the ground today or tomorrow.

Alas, there is the risk of frost on Monday night (or at least, low 40s/high 30s), and so I am going to wait until at least Tuesday to put them in the ground. They seem quite happy to stay cozy indoors.

Here they are. Today is DAY 44 above ground.

Critical Mass - 1

Critical Mass - 2

Cinderella 99 - 1

Cinderella 99 - 2

Cinderella 99 - 3

So that is about all to report today. I think girls look happy, but I'm sure they will love to stretch their legs in the ground, and bask in the sunlight. Fingers-crossed that will happen this week!

Thanks for stopping by.

All seem to be growing same pace more or less:hmmmm::passitleft::ganjamon:

Yes! At least now... a week or two ago one of them was really droopy and smaller. Apparently she liked the topping (or feared for her life, as I plan on only taken four forward). Ha! :)

The girls are recovering nicely and looking good Bard! Keep it goin!

Thanks Dutch! Yes, learned an important lesson - won't use plastic pots again with coco. Just didn't work well for me. Your pheno hunt is looking great! Eyeballing your cloning station...

Weather finally looks nice enough moving forward that I moved the girls outdoors - we almost had frost last night. They are on the back patio where they will get some sun but not direct. Will "harden" them off, as they have been used to the basement at 65-75F. Nights are still chilly here (low 50s) so I might bring them in at dusk for the next few nights. Looking pretty happy. A bit droopy, but they just came out of the dark when I took this photo.

I have had the timer set for 15 hours of lights, as that is the day-duration outdoors right now. Days, of course, will keep getting longer until June 21. Then less daylight each day thereafter. My plan (thanks to @Old Salt's advice several months ago) is that they will naturally flip to flowering in mid/late August, when the daylight hours goes below 14 hours per day. They will then have until about mid-October to get their business done before frost hits. Fingers-crossed!

Four will go in the ground, and one I will give away to a friend who is just curious to try growing. Fortunately, I will end up with 2x Cinderella 99s, and 2x Critical Mass. Both cultivars are "fast" genetics from @DrSeeds.

Beautiful plants mate. Hopefully, things go well for your growing season.
:goodluck:
Stoked I found this cuz. I too am doing the same thing but indoors. I can check in and see your compared to mine indoors. Its my current journal and im growing
C99xBlueberryXfast
#1SkunkXfast
FastChilly
White WidowXfast

While phasing out
MoneyMaker and Skywalker OG.

I too am looking forward to the faster bloom times. Good times aye.
:Namaste::yahoo:

Beautiful plants mate. Hopefully, things go well for your growing season.
:goodluck:
Stoked I found this cuz. I too am doing the same thing but indoors. I can check in and see your compared to mine indoors. Its my current journal and im growing
C99xBlueberryXfast
#1SkunkXfast
FastChilly
White WidowXfast

While phasing out
MoneyMaker and Skywalker OG.

I too am looking forward to the faster bloom times. Good times aye.
:Namaste::yahoo:

Thanks Metal! Sounds like you have some great flavours there. I will stop by your journal to check it out. Thanks for stopping by!

Thanks Dutch! Yes, learned an important lesson - won't use plastic pots again with coco. Just didn't work well for me. Your pheno hunt is looking great! Eyeballing your cloning station...
There is always something to learn and I’m glad you got it these ladies fixed up!

Also if you have any questions with any part of the build let me know!

There is always something to learn and I’m glad you got it these ladies fixed up!

Also if you have any questions with any part of the build let me know!

Got my tote a couple of days ago, and net pots and collars are on the way, thanks @Dutchman1990!

The girls have gone camping... all summer! I got them in the ground this morning. BEAUTIFUL day here in southern Ontario. I started with six seeds (3x Cinderella 99, 3x Critical Mass, both "fast" types). All of them germinated, but one of the CM seedlings was deformed, so she was eliminated in round 1. A couple of days ago I gave away one of the C99s to a friend of Mrs. Bard who kept killing her seedlings. So I am left with four, two of each, which is exactly what I was hoping for. I did quite a bit of work on the soil back in April, and digging the holes today things looked good. Lots of earthworms! I went light on the nitrogen sources, but pretty heavy on the calcium, and let it all brew for the past six weeks. The dirt is still quite clay, so this fall I will add a ton more sand to it. I'll need to remember to go easy on the supplemental watering this summer.

Here they are. View from the deck looking down. Left to right is: C99/CM/C99/CM. The greenery nearby is my asparagus patch (which yielded great this spring). It will grow quite tall, but remain "wispy" so my hope is that it creates a visual screen from prying eyes, but still lets lots of sunlight through. Plants should get 8+ hours a day of direct light (was early morning when I took this photo). Excuse the dandelions... need to do some weeding.

Happy Sunday, everyone,

Just a quick update, as just posted a couple of days ago. It has been about 2.5 days since the girls went into the ground, and they are doing great! The weather has been gorgeous since I planted them, and they are loving life. Here are a few pics...

Today I started a bit more training by anchoring down the tallest shoots to level things out a bit, and let light into the centre. Kind of quasi-quad-line (sorry for the blurry pic).

It is a warm, breezy day, but pretty cloudy, so I took this opportunity to give them a foliar application (very diluted kelp, fish emulsion, desalinated sea water, and a little Rapid Start). No danger of the sun burning the leaves given all the clouds.

That's about it for today. Hope you are all having a great weekend!

I have a horse farm so I'm out every day no matter what the weather is but I like this time of year best.

Winter here wasn't too bad, at least in comparison to years gone by. However, spring has sucked up until this week. Cold, rainy, windy... so nice to see the sun, gardens growing, people enjoying the outdoors. But I know how stressful weather can be for a farmer. It is not just enjoyment of the day, but one's livelihood on the line. Cheers!

The girls have been in the ground for exactly a week.

Weather has been really mixed - a couple of beautiful warm sunny days, but lots of chilly, rainy ones. More rain than sun. The four girls in the ground are doing ok. Actually, doing pretty well considering the weather. They have been putting on some growth, but it is pretty leggy and stretched out on all four of them. Looking for more sun I bet! But they are alive.

Just a modest amount of training on these plants. I topped a week or so before then went into the ground, and have been keeping the main branches anchored down to encourage additional growth.

In order of pics: C99/CM/C99/CM. The last Critical Mass gets the least amount of sun (in the shadow of the deck) so it will always be the smallest, most likely.

Here is more of a group shot (same order from front to back):

Happy Friday, everyone. Pray for some sun!

Back
Top Bottom