Boo’s Perpetual Grow Journal

Hi everybody! Happy Friday! Here is a little update on the girls. First up is Super Lemon:
PXL_20240315_184903575.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20240315_184742457.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20240315_184748451.PORTRAIT.jpg

She’s right about 11” now and plugging along. Next is Dream Berry:
PXL_20240315_184807983.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20240315_184815474.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20240315_184845889.PORTRAIT.jpg

She is about an inch taller than lemon and I think I switched the ruler pics but you get the gist. :cheesygrinsmiley: Now for the Skywalker OG Kush:
PXL_20240315_184654479.PORTRAIT.jpg

There is only one pic of her today. On Monday I up potted and topped her. As you can see, I’m trying out a new thing from AC Infinity (I believe @HeavenlyHybrid is trying one too?). I need to remember is not to spin the pot! I’ve done it twice now and had to reinstall the wicks. So far so good. The one thing I’m curious about is whether I should let it go completely empty or keep it filled all the time? Any thought on that? Thanks for looking! :love:

Your babies look great!

Especially the one in your avatar.
She's like pure sunshine. 🌞
Thanks VG. That little girl lights up my world. :love:
Looking forward Boo! :Rasta:
Thanks GDB!
Beautiful 🤩
Thanks Tra!
Great looking little ones, Boo-
The Skywalker OG is a real looker- good luck tucking leaves on that one- those things are huge :oops:
Yeahhhhh. I hate to tuck leaves. :rolleyes:

Your plants look happy Boo -- petite gems!

As you can see, I’m trying out a new thing from AC Infinity (I believe @HeavenlyHybrid is trying one too?). I need to remember is not to spin the pot! I’ve done it twice now and had to reinstall the wicks. So far so good. The one thing I’m curious about is whether I should let it go completely empty or keep it filled all the time? Any thought on that?
I'm trying the same bases out for the first time too, Boo! My plants are on Day 23. I'm in coco so I can't ever let it dry completely. So I've decided to never let my bases go empty. I top them off when they get low. That might change if they ever start slurping up the entire amount before I'm astir and ready to give them some attention. Then, they may be empty by the time I get to them. :)

I'm not sure I'd take the same approach with a soil grow. I'd have to see what's going on with the plant to make a decision.

The one thing I’m curious about is whether I should let it go completely empty or keep it filled all the time? Any thought on that? Thanks for looking!
It's my thinking that to allow it to empty will risk breaking the wicking mechanism and put unnecessary strain on your roots. There is no dry cycle when sub-irrigating because you are relying on capillary action not gravity. The roots tend to adapt to the perpetually moist soil.

The one thing I’m curious about is whether I should let it go completely empty or keep it filled all the time?
Sorry, Boo- I missed this the other day...
My SIP is a little different, but same principle as your swick bases. I keep the rez topped up all day, but it would occasionally go dry overnight...but, you've got to figure that the soil is holding a gallon or 2, so the rez would have to be dry for a couple days before the plant started looking thirsty...

So I guess my advice is that it really doesn't matter, unless you wait more than 48 hours between waterings...:cheesygrinsmiley:

Sweet new avatar, too..💚

Your plants look happy Boo -- petite gems!
Thanks GDB! I’ve had a string of petites lately….hopeful for a biggie soon. :cheesygrinsmiley:
It's my thinking that to allow it to empty will risk breaking the wicking mechanism and put unnecessary strain on your roots. There is no dry cycle when sub-irrigating because you are relying on capillary action not gravity. The roots tend to adapt to the perpetually moist soil.
Thanks Carmen, that makes perfect sense!
Your babies look good, Boo! And, I'm with VG, I especially like the one in your profile pic. :love:
Thanks HG. I love that baby in the profile pic. My daughter has decided to remove most pictures of her from social media so I decided to pull that one too.
My SIP is a little different, but same principle as your swick bases. I keep the rez topped up all day, but it would occasionally go dry overnight...but, you've got to figure that the soil is holding a gallon or 2, so the rez would have to be dry for a couple days before the plant started looking thirsty...
That adds to the perfect sense Carmen shared, thank you!
Sweet new avatar, too..💚
Ha. I figured you would recognize that!
Everything is looking tickety boo Boo, but if you start swapping ruler pics I start to lose faith in reality!
I promise not to be so lazy next time… :rolleyes:

Skywalker is really digging the SIP stand. She is bursting with growth since I put her on it last Monday:
PXL_20240319_142332183.jpg

She’s got a few leaves that are looking a little deficient, maybe I will ad some CalMag to her stand. :hmmmm:
She will be 6 weeks old tomorrow and I’m wondering about a good time to flip her. She has started to show what I believe is sexual maturity so I think I can flip any time now. This is only the third photoperiod that I’ve grown in a tent so I’m a little rusty… I think I’ll wait one more week and get her good and tied down and then go for it. Any thoughts on that? Thanks so much for looking and for all the great advice! :love:

Thanks GDB! I’ve had a string of petites lately….hopeful for a biggie soon. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Thanks Carmen, that makes perfect sense!

Thanks HG. I love that baby in the profile pic. My daughter has decided to remove most pictures of her from social media so I decided to pull that one too.

That adds to the perfect sense Carmen shared, thank you!

Ha. I figured you would recognize that!

I promise not to be so lazy next time… :rolleyes:

Skywalker is really digging the SIP stand. She is bursting with growth since I put her on it last Monday:
PXL_20240319_142332183.jpg

She’s got a few leaves that are looking a little deficient, maybe I will ad some CalMag to her stand. :hmmmm:
She will be 6 weeks old tomorrow and I’m wondering about a good time to flip her. She has started to show what I believe is sexual maturity so I think I can flip any time now. This is only the third photoperiod that I’ve grown in a tent so I’m a little rusty… I think I’ll wait one more week and get her good and tied down and then go for it. Any thoughts on that? Thanks so much for looking and for all the great advice! :love:
Your plant looks quite content Boo!

With regard to waiting more time to flip, I've looked at some others who have grown with these bases. It seems that the swicks tend to produce larger plants than soil grows. Just something to think about!

BTW, that power strip on the floor next to that reservoir full of water looks kind of chancey to me. When my trays are full I need to exercise great care in moving them around or they will slosh water all over the place. Just saying.

BTW, that power strip on the floor next to that reservoir full of water
Does that strip have a red pilot light on the switch? If so, you might want to cover it with electrical tape or something when you flip her to flower...I don't know if a little red light will keep her from flowering, but for the price of a piece of electrical tape, I'd cover it just to be sure..

hopeful for a biggie soon. :cheesygrinsmiley:
I think the Skywalker is going to take care of that...👍

She’s got a few leaves that are looking a little deficient, maybe I will ad some CalMag to her stand
Hi Boo, watch this because according to those in the know, calcium is moved downwards in the soil by gravity I think, and when one sub-irrigates, that calcium is not moving down, so you need to supplement. Otter can tell you more about calcium supplementation in a swicky grow.

Looks happy! Will you be scrogging or just using the net for support in flower?
Both? I think I’ve got her pulled down fairly wide right now and my intent is not to move her once I flip. The net would be helpful in flower to keep the plant off the walls of the tent. Is there something to do that would equal scrogging vs just support? Should I weave her stalks into it now or after stretch?

Hi Boo, watch this because according to those in the know, calcium is moved downwards in the soil by gravity I think, and when one sub-irrigates, that calcium is not moving down, so you need to supplement. Otter can tell you more about calcium supplementation in a swicky grow.
Hi @BooWho2 , my SIP's have all needed supplemental cal/mag so far. I've been giving them 4 ml a day in their rez. daily when they drink a gallon a day. I think I'll try less this time and see what happens. Maybe every third day or something like that.

This Skywalker sure is pretty!

Both? I think I’ve got her pulled down fairly wide right now and my intent is not to move her once I flip. The net would be helpful in flower to keep the plant off the walls of the tent. Is there something to do that would equal scrogging vs just support? Should I weave her stalks into it now or after stretch?
The canopy is higher in the middle, so that puts a different spin on it than if it were flat. I worry that weaving it under the net during stretch won't get you long colas at harvest because there will be more lower growth flowering along the net.

My thought at this stage is to carry on as is for stretch and then put the net on to support the weight as they flower. Of course this is all from observing others grow with nets!

Hi and happy Easter! Here is a little update on the ladies. Let’s start with Skywalker:
PXL_20240330_141752657.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

That’s right around 10” stretch since I flipped her on Sunday. I need to find my longer ruler….:laughtwo: She’s just gorgeous.
PXL_20240330_141903751.jpg

PXL_20240330_141809968.jpg
PXL_20240330_141825336.jpg
PXL_20240330_141835694.jpg

She is getting close to showing flower. It would be so nice to call it 1 April. The wick stand is working well. I am topping it off every day and adding a tsp of Cal/Mag to every gallon now. The only thing I would note about the stand is that the water gauge thing seems to stick - making it appear that the pot is full when it actually isn’t. I’ve been pulling it out every day to reset it and that’s the workaround for now, and it’s an easy one. I’ve got a new baby autoflower and am looking forward to growing her on one of them. Let’s look at the auto ladies. First up is Super Lemon:
PXL_20240330_142051572.MP.jpg
PXL_20240330_142059380.jpg

She’s coming along nicely, and so is Dream Berry:
PXL_20240330_142108655.jpg
PXL_20240330_142117265.jpg

This gal is really building her colas and the pistils are really long. Neither one of these gals have much of a smell nor do they have much glitter - which I’m not used to. I normally grow 420Fastbuds autos and neither of these are theirs. I wonder if that has anything to do with it? :hmmmm: Anyhow, life is good and having Spring here makes me happy. Thanks for looking and enjoy your weekend! :love:

Back
Top Bottom