Cannabis Rezination

Well done sir! :green_heart: Just made my order with Power Grown! :bongrip:
Sounds great, Shedster is going to run some meja next season also. Maybe we can set up a 3 way comparative study. Speaking of @InTheShed he ran a drought on one of his outdoor girls. We are waiting for his smoke report to come out and see if we have a convert.

A lot of never droughters, have simply never droughted. not funny but I tried. :love:

Sounds great, Shedster is going to run some meja next season also. Maybe we can set up a 3 way comparative study. Speaking of @InTheShed he ran a drought on one of his outdoor girls. We are waiting for his smoke report to come out and see if we have a convert.

A lot of never droughters, have simply never droughted. not funny but I tried. :love:
I'm hoping it gets here for the run I just started. Don't doubt the drought !

Garden Update.
I snagged a shot of the Blueberry Skunk we chopped down two weeks ago. After I finished harvesting her the larf was too plentiful so I let it grow treating it with a splash of meja. A few days later I have new white pistols on her flowers. Like a second bloom if you will? The Northern Stank are blowing my mind. Tree's my brother @InTheShed, indeed.

Hi @Maritimer -

The recovery on these plants is incredible. When I see this I get more confidence, cuz like everyone else it's very daunting to look at and if you've never droughted, it's downright scary. Just is. To put in all the effort it takes to make the plant beautiful then drought it and make it so dead looking, I mean, jeez, even you must have had a little trepidation the first time despite knowing all the science, yes? But then I see this and I remember how resilient the plants are, WOW I am getting so closer to being ready for this. I've been watching this thread closely and trying my best to learn this process.

Couple questions if you don't mind...thank you in advance!

- Is the overall health of the plant going into the drought the main factor in the degree of post-drought rebound?
- Do you have any pictures of a plant that had a terrible rebound but still gave you amazing medicine?
- Is the degree of post-drought rebound in any way connected to the end product the plant produces?
- Do you defoliate the leaves post-rebound that didn't come back and basically are dead on the plant?
- Why is 11 days the drought days target? Why not seven or nine or whatever? Does it take 11 days for the intense survival response to kick in the way you want/need it to?
- Is the 11 days a "must be" or is it a "sometimes 9 is appropriate" depending on the strain or what the plant looks like?
- Are there certain strains that simply won't take the drought and die instead of rebounding, or does that ever happen?

I hope those questions aren't so basic I look like an ass for asking them. Thanks again. You're an evil genius.

Hi @Jon,
Thank you for the kind words.

Let's drop down to your last line first.
"I hope those questions aren't so basic I look like an ass for asking them." Nope. Round here you need not be concerned with that. And besides, your questions are not so basic.

I have some pressing errands to run and a proper response is warranted, so please excuse me for a while and I will try to answer your questions later today.

btw your first question begs me to ask are you familiar with the theory of plant fitness? It gets deep fast LOL

Hi @Jon,
Thank you for the kind words.

Let's drop down to your last line first.
"I hope those questions aren't so basic I look like an ass for asking them." Nope. Round here you need not be concerned with that. And besides, your questions are not so basic.

I have some pressing errands to run and a proper response is warranted, so please excuse me for a while and I will try to answer your questions later today.

btw your first question begs me to ask are you familiar with the theory of plant fitness? It gets deep fast LOL
Fair enough and thanks for that, I always ask anyway. Lol. At the end of the day I'd rather look like an ass and learn than not take a chance and ask a question.

Thanks for taking the time later then for a response.

No, I am not familiar with the theory of plant fitness, I didn't even know there was such a thing. I'm on my fourth grow and trying to grab everything, but some stuff slips through the cracks, lol. That sounds like something I need to know about for sure. Got a link or reference? And thanks!

You're a peach man. Peace.

Ahoy there!

Follow up to @Jon's questions.

- Is the overall health of the plant going into the drought the main factor in the degree of post-drought rebound? The quick answer is definitely yes. The specimen cultivar should be as healthy as possible. No nutritional issues, no pests, ect., and perhaps equally important the organism should be fit as possible. Plant fitness is an expression of the plants learned and genetic responses to environmental stimuli. I use air circulation and temperature swings. Both are points of contention among gardeners. As the plants get bigger, my fans get bigger and more rough. Additionally I provide little protection from 20 plus degree temp swings every night. These toughen up the plant in my doctrine of plant fitness. A candyass plant will not perform as well under severe abiotic stress compared to a plant that is used to a less cushy lifestyle. Couch potato cannabis plants need not apply.
- Do you have any pictures of a plant that had a terrible rebound but still gave you amazing medicine? I will try and dig one up. It is not uncommon for quick bloomers like Northern Lights to go from drought to harvest without being rescued.
- Is the degree of post-drought rebound in any way connected to the end product the plant produces? Not sure I get your question.
- Do you defoliate the leaves post-rebound that didn't come back and basically are dead on the plant? No. Never. If and when she decides she has no further use of a leaf she will let it loose. Other than light strategic defoil late in veg or early flower I do not defoil a plant I intend to drought. Important!
- Why is 11 days the drought days target? Why not seven or nine or whatever? Does it take 11 days for the intense survival response to kick in the way you want/need it to? Doc Kaplan came up with 11 days. I see no benefit going longer than whatever your plant takes to change by 50% Leaf Wilt Angle (LWA) from the turgid values.
- Is the 11 days a "must be" or is it a "sometimes 9 is appropriate" depending on the strain or what the plant looks like? The 11 days is too long for most strains I have run. Around 8 days I almost always have exceeded my 50% LWA targets.
- Are there certain strains that simply won't take the drought and die instead of rebounding, or does that ever happen? Some strains are clearly more drought resistant than others. I have never “killed” a plant via controlled drought. They can look pretty sad, but not dead.

Hi Jon,

Thank you for reminding me how I felt running my first drought. As nervous as a virgin in a brothel.
Embarrassing self disclosure.
Don't hesitate to ask me anything drought. Makes an old guy like me feel useful. :hookah:

Well since I haven’t figured out how to drought in DWC, everything I come up with I find a thread that’s rolling along with it . Something different I came across and now I can’t find it again . They ran 21 hours 36 minutes on with the normal 12 hours off for seven days . Supposedly it had a 40% increase in yield . I know it was in the last couple weeks that I saw it but was interested in drought. If it would have happened a couple years ago I’d more than likely remember, damn short term crap . Any thoughts who what where how and why . Thanks

Can't speak to the medicine yet, but here's one that had a terrible rebound (it got droughted longer than it should) but survived another two weeks to harvest this past weekend:
Ah....thanks! That's why I was asking, and now I see. The BUDS look healthy and normal. The leaves are what didn't bounce back. So can you please elocute a bit on why that's a problem? What I *think* I can see is that you've now killed the leaves, and what's going to power the bud development, right? Well if that is correct, it doesn't appear that these buds were all that compromised in terms of size and/or development. So does the plant REALLY need all those leaves?

Also, @Maritimer, thank you so much for taking as much time as you did to provide such a detailed response. I really appreciate that. Respect.

Regarding this:
Is the degree of post-drought rebound in any way connected to the end product the plant produces? Not sure I get your question.
What I meant was, if the plant had a poor recovery, will the end bud be correspondingly poor? You just said you can't speak to this medicine yet, but is this the only time you had a poor rebound or are there other reference points you can draw on? And would you agree that these buds would likely look largely the same even if the leaves had all recovered, or do you think they'd look noticeably sweeter?

Ah....thanks! That's why I was asking, and now I see. The BUDS look healthy and normal. The leaves are what didn't bounce back. So can you please elocute a bit on why that's a problem? What I *think* I can see is that you've now killed the leaves, and what's going to power the bud development, right? Well if that is correct, it doesn't appear that these buds were all that compromised in terms of size and/or development. So does the plant REALLY need all those leaves?

Also, @Maritimer, thank you so much for taking as much time as you did to provide such a detailed response. I really appreciate that. Respect.

Regarding this:
Is the degree of post-drought rebound in any way connected to the end product the plant produces? Not sure I get your question.
What I meant was, if the plant had a poor recovery, will the end bud be correspondingly poor? You just said you can't speak to this medicine yet, but is this the only time you had a poor rebound or are there other reference points you can draw on? And would you agree that these buds would likely look largely the same even if the leaves had all recovered, or do you think they'd look noticeably sweeter?
Oh, Shed, just realized I just posted @Maritimer's response on your photo! Sorry my man! But as long as I screwed up, and I assume M will see this so I don't have to do this again, feel FREE to answer the same questions! Thanks! Lol.

Oh, Shed, just realized I just posted @Maritimer's response on your photo! Sorry my man! But as long as I screwed up, and I assume M will see this so I don't have to do this again, feel FREE to answer the same questions! Thanks! Lol.
You two are the among the only two I've seen who seem to have done this a bunch of times, I really would like to hear what you have to say about it if you're so inclined. Seems a lot of folks like me and others are just catching on. The thread has had a lot to do with this I would say.

NP! I'll answer what I can from my (incredibly) limited experience. That's my first droughted plant.

Maritimer has mentioned that sometimes he chops immediately post drought, so recovery doesn't even factor in for those. In terms of what I did, I definitely killed the leaves but not the rest of the plant, which surprised me no end. I wasn't measuring my LWA correctly and let it go at least a day too long. Also, because the plant was outside and in a cloth pot, it lost moisture much faster than either Caplan or Maritimer, both indoors in plastic.

I'll never know what was lost in harvest weight (though Caplan said there was no significant difference between the droughted and the control plants), but whatever might have been lost should be made up for in trichome production. Of course, had I not gone a day too long, the plant might have spent the last two weeks putting on bulk, which I don't think mine did.

Oh, and to your point about whether the plant really needs all those leaves, I would have to say absolutely yes. If they weren't there when I started, the plant would have been unable to draw what it needed from them to survive the drought. Without those fans, the plant probably would have died and not even gained the benefit from the droughting.

NP! I'll answer what I can from my (incredibly) limited experience. That's my first droughted plant.

Maritimer has mentioned that sometimes he chops immediately post drought, so recovery doesn't even factor in for those. In terms of what I did, I definitely killed the leaves but not the rest of the plant, which surprised me no end. I wasn't measuring my LWA correctly and let it go at least a day too long. Also, because the plant was outside and in a cloth pot, it lost moisture much faster than either Caplan or Maritimer, both indoors in plastic.

I'll never know what was lost in harvest weight (though Caplan said there was no significant difference between the droughted and the control plants), but whatever might have been lost should be made up for in trichome production. Of course, had I not gone a day too long, the plant might have spent the last two weeks putting on bulk, which I don't think mine did.

Oh, and to your point about whether the plant really needs all those leaves, I would have to say absolutely yes. If they weren't there when I started, the plant would have been unable to draw what it needed from them to survive the drought. Without those fans, the plant probably would have died and not even gained the benefit from the droughting.
Awesome. Thank you. So yeah, you say had you not gone a day too long the plant might have bulked up in the last two weeks. I guess you mean cuz then the leaves would have rebounded, and then been there to help power the buds for those last two weeks, right? So that would support your point in the end paragraph as well, yes?

Thanks, Shed!!! You da man!

I guess you mean cuz then the leaves would have rebounded, and then been there to help power the buds for those last two weeks, right? So that would support your point in the end paragraph as well, yes?
Yep! The plant was really not in the best shape in the last two weeks and I'm not sure what it was even doing in terms ripening. I feel like the clears weren't going cloudy as fast as the cloudies were going amber.

Losing that many leaves definitely was not the goal, as you can see how Maritimer's plants look after recovery. Some brown and some fall but the plants still look very much alive. Mine not so much!

Back
Top Bottom