Clone advice

IKilledIt

A friend of mine gave me a few over grown clones tonight. They haven’t been topped or even tended to. They’ve been under 24 hour light for awhile. They were still in solo cups until I got home and put them in bigger pots. I cleaned up some dead leaves also. My question is what should I do with these. Should I try and veg them a few weeks to get them back to health? Should I just start flowering them. Never dealt with clones. They are starving. One is a Cherry Garcia, Lemon Sour Diesel the other a Cherry something
55FF6759-0362-4340-A363-95CCA80FE5C6.jpeg
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

You def like get these young ladies in good health before flowering them. I dunno how much training can be done at this point besides super cropping (squeezing the stalk to pulp without breaking stalk open) so can expose lowers to more light...
I agree..I would just go to flower

I’m in the wait camp too…. a plant should be in peak health & vigor before flipping. Those are large clone plants to have been stuffed in solo cups and just repotted.

also I’d quarantine the newbies from your other chicks until you can hammer them with your pest routine

the stalks appear to be tan colored & woody plus the plants are bushy which can be indicator of monster crop (clones taken from flowering plant) you might not be able to effectively supercrop but I’d sure bend the tops over with lst

A friend of mine gave me a few over grown clones tonight. They haven’t been topped or even tended to. They’ve been under 24 hour light for awhile. They were still in solo cups until I got home and put them in bigger pots. I cleaned up some dead leaves also. My question is what should I do with these. Should I try and veg them a few weeks to get them back to health? Should I just start flowering them. Never dealt with clones. They are starving. One is a Cherry Garcia, Lemon Sour Diesel the other a Cherry something
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Good morning @IKilledIt great score on the clones.
You potentially have 20 more available there if you need them.
Make great mothers.
But to flower them I'd top them and remove all smaller branches below light level. See pic below.
Tie out any long branches flat.
Grow them for a bit until healthy then flip.
Happy growing.

Stay safe
Bill

I would love to know what was in the solo cups to get those that tall.

You potentially have 20 more available there if you need them.
I was thinking closer to 15-20 cuttings per plant and taking everything off just a tad bit lower than where you suggested.

Once a few of the cuttings start to root getting them into small containers but bigger than a Solo cup. As soon as a few of them are large enough for sample buds getting one or two of the new clones into a 12/12 situation. Eight weeks later, as long as there are a good number of trichomes, even if there are no amber doing a harvest and dry and a sample.

That would tell if all the plants are great for smoking, edibles or to be used for salve, etc.

@ SmokingWings. All I can tell you is what I was told. They’ve been under 24 hour light for a few months. Soil is Happy Frog 40%,peat moss 40%, perlite 20% and worm castings. And Advanced Ph’d nutes. He has about 40 clone strains crammed around a mother plant of some kind so lighting wasn’t to great. They are all about the size of the ones he gave me. He wants to give me more to keep from trashing them. I may just take them.

And yes the stalks and branches are woody. As of now I have them under 18/6 till I figure something out. Thanx for all the advise. I greatly appreciate it.

I just put a Cherry Garcia in flower today. 6 weeks of VEG and she's pretty good size.

Should be a nice plant.

I over grow VEG plants a lot and turn some into mothers and take cuts and make clones.

With what you got there they are all spindly af - I dont EVER recommend topping with 1 exception and that wood be when I over grow VEG plants.

Hope you put them in larger that 5gal containers they are going to need quite a bit of soil.

So top about 10-12" off the main stem. Leave all the side branches and trim out the lower 3rd and make clones out of the cuttings.

The plant will bush out a little more than she would normally and not get as tall due to topping and you loose a little yield (over time) with topping.

Then you need to let her figure out her new apical meristem (new tops) and once that happens you can put them in flower. Dont wait after about 2 weeks after topping just go into flower you'll be fine. Those plants will get stronger and be able to support flowers.

Think about how you're going to stake them up going into flower as well... I like bamboo stakes and wire ties - yer gonna need something to support branches about 35 days into flowering.

GL - they all look pretty healthy for living in a solo cup.

If they were in a solo cup I would cut the tops down to a few good lower branches that will be the new tops. Give them a few weeks to veg and root into the bigger pot and promote a root ball that can support the plant you want to flower.

Give them a new home for their roots, maybe slice a very small amount off the roots at the edge to encourage new growth at the edges, and then maybe half them, make some new clones if you like, and straight to flower, or veg a week to scrog. Something like that.

pics of current pot would go a ways to helping. agree it should be over 5gal.
then nutes / light environment description etc. usual stuff.

at a guess it looks like he may have used them as clone mothers. as an alternative you could also pull a bunch of clones, cull the current plants, and roll from there if you choose.

I see a similar thing with my grow, when I have young plants that are in 1 gal. pots for too long. I up pot to 15 gal. homemade smart pots (big but easier to move around), add some Mycos root booster to the root ball area, and let the plants continue to grow until it's obvious they are done being in veg. One sign of that is when the plants stop gaining height. This is when I take cuttings for clones. From there, the plant goes into the flowering greenhouse, and is done in 1-2 months depending on the strain and the time of year. I'm growing outdoors in greenhouses in a mild, tropical climate. The only artificial light I'm using is photoperiod lighting to control flowering. I use 13w daylight spectrum LED bulbs, which turn on automatically for a few minutes, 3x in the middle of the night.

Got them in some 7 gallon pots. FFHF & FFOF. Used some pvc to support. Topped them best I could. Didn’t go down 10 inches tho. The whole plant is basically woody. I do see new growth. On the bad side I did notice some spider mites. What a shame. So I sprayed the crap out of them with a heavy dose of Dawn and water. Then came back and defoliated. Cleaned all the trash up. Then hit them again with the Dawn. Think I’m gonna let them heal up some more. Let them veg out also. Watch for the spiders and make sure their dead. Then flower them. Thanx for all the advice. I greatly appreciate it.

To be honest they look like total crap. Seriously debating on if it’s even worth it.

C5E98A85-5EBC-4610-A203-5A18265D2AE1.jpeg
2B465269-C290-42DF-9BD5-36BA28CDB220.jpeg
5A10CFD0-C33D-420E-8F7C-5E634B510122.jpeg
DE67F67B-9D59-41F1-A9EF-42B2D24B2728.jpeg

There's always potential. Look what @Krissi1982 did with her little Limelight and her Ammy Jr. monstercrop. If you're patient enough, you probably can bring anything back. Def gotta get the mites under control though... With 3 plants, I'd imagine they're in all of them.

Got them in some 7 gallon pots. FFHF & FFOF. Used some pvc to support. Topped them best I could. Didn’t go down 10 inches tho. The whole plant is basically woody. I do see new growth. On the bad side I did notice some spider mites. What a shame. So I sprayed the crap out of them with a heavy dose of Dawn and water. Then came back and defoliated. Cleaned all the trash up. Then hit them again with the Dawn. Think I’m gonna let them heal up some more. Let them veg out also. Watch for the spiders and make sure their dead. Then flower them. Thanx for all the advice. I greatly appreciate it.

To be honest they look like total crap. Seriously debating on if it’s even worth it.

C5E98A85-5EBC-4610-A203-5A18265D2AE1.jpeg
2B465269-C290-42DF-9BD5-36BA28CDB220.jpeg
5A10CFD0-C33D-420E-8F7C-5E634B510122.jpeg
DE67F67B-9D59-41F1-A9EF-42B2D24B2728.jpeg
Might get a decent harvest, you never know if you never try.
If you have the space.

Stay safe
Bill

I’m this far into it now so I’ll keep going. I did take a bunch of clones off each of them. Maybe by the time she’s all beautiful my clones will have started to show roots. But if the clones fail at least I can take some more from them. Did a close inspection today and noticed some Dead spider mites. Didn’t see any movement. I’ll hit them again in a couple days. Now I’m having to watch the clones I took. Because I didn’t notice the mites until yesterday and I took the clones a week ago. Thought about scrapping all the clones for that reason. And getting some new cutting as mentioned above. Thanx for all the help. I greatly appreciate it.

I’m this far into it now so I’ll keep going. I did take a bunch of clones off each of them. Maybe by the time she’s all beautiful my clones will have started to show roots. But if the clones fail at least I can take some more from them. Did a close inspection today and noticed some Dead spider mites. Didn’t see any movement. I’ll hit them again in a couple days. Now I’m having to watch the clones I took. Because I didn’t notice the mites until yesterday and I took the clones a week ago. Thought about scrapping all the clones for that reason. And getting some new cutting as mentioned above. Thanx for all the help. I greatly appreciate it.
Mites are hard to kill.
I would not try and grow clones if they already have Mites.
2 cents

Stay safe
Bill

Mites are hard to kill.
I would not try and grow clones if they already have Mites.
2 cents

Stay safe
Bill

Just went and looked at the clones and noticed spider mites on them also. Put them all in a plastic bag and got them in the burn bin. Not sure if I should even keep the 3 main plants now. Don’t need and don’t want an infestation of any kind. Definitely don’t need theses things in my flower room. I hope I haven’t passed them to my flowering plants. Oh the headache.

Lesson learned here folks. Good thing I insulated them as advised. From now on everything is gonna be done in house. I’ll get my own seeds do my own clones.

From now on everything is gonna be done in house
Best decision you can make. If you ever get a clone, try to kill it with pesticide first, if it survives, give it a chance ;) Never take in mothers with soil. Thats just playing Russian roulette with your room health.

Back
Top Bottom