Comfy420's First Grow, High On A Dime Budget Newbie CFL Grow

Day 15 Update:

They are so bushy... I kinda want them to stretch their wings a bit. Hopefully they will take off soon but they seems average from looking at other grows at around 2 weeks.

I'm just impatient I guess. Enjoy the pics :)

If you want them to stretch a little bit try putting some space between them and the light. Start small and raise the light about 6" and see how the plants react to the change.

The soil I bought was a 1.5 cubic foot bag of Fox Farms Ocean Forest Potting Soil and I also bought an 8 quart bag of perlite. I mixed it all together which makes my mix around 85% Fox Farms Ocean Forest and 15% added perlite.

Ok I think I have that same bag but I'm not sure if I should use perlite what is it used for?

Ok I think I have that same bag but I'm not sure if I should use perlite what is it used for?

Perlite is the chunks of white stuff you see in potting soil... Perlite is porous and very light. It makes the soil airy, lightweight, and loose. The benefit of this is that the soil has better drainage letting water flow through evenly to all parts of the soil but also having good water retention due to it's porous nature. At the same time the soil is light and full of air which lets oxygen get to the roots and makes it harder to overwater your plants and drown your roots. It also prevents the soil from becoming compacted when watering and lets the roots push through the soil easier.

At least that's how I understand it. My 2 cents :thumb:

For water I found that this water has a ph of 6.2-6.7
420-magazine-mobile1536183415.jpg

For water I found that this water has a ph of 6.2-6.7

You can use that bottled water if you want to but it might get expensive to keep buying water. I use tap water and control the PH with the products in the General Hydroponics PH control kit which is the same kit used in that video I posted for you a few posts above in this thread. You will probably spend less using tap water and buying that $15-20 PH control kit than buying all that bottled water especially as your plants get more thirsty. Also if you are using nutrients they can change the PH of your water so your perfect bottled water might become too acidic or basic for your plants after mixing nutrients.

You really should watch that video because that is in my opinion the best/cheapest way to do it. The PH testing liquid is simple, cheap, accurate, and doesn't need calibration... the liquid doesn't lie.

Would you be able to give a percentage of soil to perlite ?

Ideally, from what I've read around this forum and the internet, you should probably do around 70% ocean forest soil and 30% added perlite.

However my soil is 85% fox farms ocean forest and 15% added perlite but that is only because the fox farms came in a 1.5 cubic foot bag and the perlite came in a 8 quart bag and I figured it would work out fine and didn't want to buy the HUGE expensive bag of perlite and waste a bunch.

Day 17 Update:

So we have 2 cola sites for sure on each plant now reaching for the "sun" in their little box world. So in my book first LST attempt = Success. However, the show has just begun so I'm going to buckle up and enjoy what I assume will start to be some very quick growth judging by how these last few days have been speeding up. It's the 17th day now and from reading other journals they seem to really start to grow in weeks 3 and 4 so I'm super excited :)

Enjoy the pics all and thanks for following along.

Green-O-Matic:
GOM_171.jpg

Amnesia Haze:
AH_17.jpg

Day 19 Update:

Well Green-O-Matic is really living up to it's claim of being fast because it seems to be really pulling ahead of the Amnesia Haze. The Green-O-Matic also has had pistils showing at the nodes for a few days not but I haven't been able to get a great picture of them yet. Amnesia Haze shows no signs of flowering so far and is taking the slow and steady course but also it has a claimed harvest time of more than 1 month past the Green-O-Matic's so we will see. Hopefully it's actually an auto and I didn't get some mixup.

Anyway enjoy the pictures!

Green-O-Matic:
GOM_19.jpg

Amnesia Haze:
AH_19.jpg

Day 20 Update:

Oh boy things are starting to heat up now... Look at that LST on the Green-O-Matic! It's doing so well!

Also, I've started to give them a tiny bit of nutrients in the last couple waterings like 1/16 strength of what the fox farms schedule says because the soil should still have some left. I will watch for any kind of burn in the leaves and very slowly ramp it up in the coming weeks. :slide:

Green-O-Matic:
GOM_20.jpg

Amnesia Haze:
AH_20.jpg

Top of the evening Comfy. The two plants you have been following on my journal both came from seeds from one "bag seed" bud. As you can see, the "over achiever" left out of the gates sprinting whilst the "lil gal" was a runt long in coming. But look at them both now. You very well may have one plant that takes it's time coming up to speed as the other rabbits off from the get go. All looks fantastic though. Keep up the care of these babies and they will care for you back one day. From one first timer to another, we got this.

Top of the evening Comfy. The two plants you have been following on my journal both came from seeds from one "bag seed" bud. As you can see, the "over achiever" left out of the gates sprinting whilst the "lil gal" was a runt long in coming. But look at them both now. You very well may have one plant that takes it's time coming up to speed as the other rabbits off from the get go. All looks fantastic though. Keep up the care of these babies and they will care for you back one day. From one first timer to another, we got this.

Now that I look back to when yours were smaller I agree it's quite similar. I guess I assumed your other one was large because of LST but your right your "over achiever" took off back in the beginning while the other one had to catch back up recently. :thumb:

Now that I look back to when yours were smaller I agree it's quite similar. I guess I assumed your other one was large because of LST but your right your "over achiever" took off back in the beginning while the other one had to catch back up recently. :thumb:

So with what we both said this is what I get out of it.....same strains, seed etc can lead to plants that sprout and grow at different rates, the same goes for plants of different strains, one may grow at a phenom pace from the start while the other plant, germed at the same time fed the same nutes and in the same everything, may take some time to get rolling. In either case, as long as all are green and growing, this makes me smile.

Day 22 Update:

Time to start week 4...

I decided to take a picture farther back so you guys can get an idea of the size of plants compared to my box/lights. I will be out of town for the weekend so I will give the girls a good watering tomorrow night, throw up a quick day 23 update, and we will have to skip Day 24 Update :straightface: and be back sunday for Day 25 Update :).

Thanks all, enjoy the pics.

Both Plants Inside Grow Box:
0601172256.jpg

Green-O-Matic:
0601172245-1.jpg

Amnesia Haze:
0601172251-1.jpg

Day 22 Update:

Time to start week 4...

I decided to take a picture farther back so you guys can get an idea of the size of plants compared to my box/lights. I will be out of town for the weekend so I will give the girls a good watering tomorrow night, throw up a quick day 23 update, and we will have to skip Day 24 Update :straightface: and be back sunday for Day 25 Update :).

Thanks all, enjoy the pics.

Both Plants Inside Grow Box:
0601172256.jpg

Green-O-Matic:
0601172245-1.jpg

Amnesia Haze:
0601172251-1.jpg

Would say calm again would help my problem with the yellowing leafs? Other then that I don't really have a problem other then the plant is only 6 inches tall and sprouted on 4-20
420-magazine-mobile341879285.jpg
I'm now using an led panel

Back
Top Bottom