Cottage 420's Organic Perpetual Indoor Garden

re: Cottage 420's 2015 Organic Grow With LOS & Kristalica - Sleestack x Skunk1

Hey thanks and welcome back in my little world GD!

OK some news ... there's movement with my males - as in they got the chop today. Man that hurt - the 4 YES 4 largest plants I grew this run were all males. They finally decided to show their balls today. I thought there was 4 but I had to wait until I was for sure ... today I was for sure. I had transplanted 3 of them into final containers too....Ah well, live and learn. So out of 10 Krystalica regular seeds/plants I got 4 males. The short pheno is actually the females they are all the same. I'm kinda glad really as those plants were getting out of hand size wise, they were 36" already and only 1 week into flower. They would have easily reached 7' - too tall/bushy for my grow space.

I did have 2 females in reserve still in veg - an extra 9 days more than the rest but they are the same size and were starting to stretch even in 24/0. I have 2 Slee-skunk1 plants going and one I'm on the fence, could be a male. The other is a female and will have flowers very likely tomorrow the budletts are getting a little white on the ends already. I'm digging that strain, easy to grow. I started them 2 weeks after the Kristalica and they caught up and pasted them in maturity.

Here's a few teaser pics of the flower tent now with the big boys removed and empty pots where there were plants - I will be using that soil over - I've already put the soil in my bin where I grow my soil so now I've got a good supply of LOS soil ready to go...

PICS:

This was the largest male - I took that pic yesterday and I wasn't sure it was male but today - lots-o-balls getting ready to pop open too. I had to do it... chop chop. That was a lot of work to throw in the compost bin. It had to be done. Much better to chop now than ruin my crop later. If you look at the general shape of the plant this one was bushy for 2 months and was trying to "fake" like he was a she and then once in 12/12 you can see the stretch isn't even and 1/2 way up he looks more lanky and skinny - those are male traits but didn't show until well into flower. There was another male that looking like the top 1/2 of this plant but the whole plant looked that way - really a dead giveaway its a male... damn.

WP_20150317_002.jpg

Empty containers after the chop - I pulled out the roots and put the soil back in the bin with the roots and stem, those roots will become GREAT nutrients for the next plantings.

WP_20150318_001.jpg

The new lineup! Little shorter and less cramped (for now). I'm feeling much better and less stressing over the males but I've got to be vigilant. Every day I pull the plants out, put them on a table and examine for hermie balls. Those little fekkers are sneaky .. I'm vigilant tho. My one Slee-skunk1 "might" be male.. too soon yet but I'm on it.

Here's the new lineup! I'll get pics of the buds that will show up here in the next day or so.. I'm getting excited soon there's gonna be some skunk ass skanky smells in the flower room. yum yum yum.

WP_20150318_002.jpg

Ok a little update - the ladies are in the 2nd week of flower 12/12 lighting so nothing to report other than I had to chop down 6 of the 10 plants as they were males. That hurt pretty bad but it is what it is. Gotta expect that when growing regular seeds. Last run with seeds I did a lot better % wise and only had to chop 20% males. So my slee-skunk are both toast they were males. Man that hurt, all those males were HUGE @ 30" first week of flower. I thought I was golden with all that green but not to happen.

What I did was start some auto flowering strain and they will probably finish first - the auto flowering seeds I popped this week were Sweet Seeds Dark Devil I had 3 - 2 are just alive and getting going and the first one that came up I transplanted too soon and it kicked the bucket so only 2 Dark Devil autos. But I've got a 2nd round going also that is about a month behind the Krystalica in the flower room.

Those are: 3 Blue Thai feminized (lernt my lesson), 1 of my Blue OG from the last run and it's big and getting blue already, and I have 2 Kali AK feminized. All about a month old and growing fast.

ALL the ladies and girls go another ACT for the last 3 days - with alfalfa meal, 2 cups of my own compost, 1 cup of EWC, hand full of crab meal... Oh and a special treat I added in some Azomite powder as a top dress along with some TM-7 humic acid. I got those 2 little gems from reading Clackamas Coot and his interested meanderings about growing organic.

The ACT really gets the ladies perky - and we all love perky women .... specially the green kind! They grow taller overnight, I can see it and have to adjust my lights up so I know its working. I'm really digging the LOS soil, I come home from work check the nursery with all the young'ins, then go to the flower room and google over the ladies they really don't need anything other than shut the curtains and turn out the lights (well they turn off auto) then I'm off to check my soil boxes. The soil sometimes looks more alive than the plants do, it's crazy.

I'll post up some pics tomorrow, I have another long weekend so I'm off and will be transplanting the auto seedlings into final containers but I'm going to wait to be sure I have the first set of leaves - the one I killed actually had a very large tap root it was growing much faster than the leaf end and I transplanted it before it had it's first leaves and it didn't like that one bit and took a dump. I saw that huge tap root and thought I'd be ok - that thing shriveled up just like that... damn.

I feel so sad every time I have to cull or a seedling dies... kinda why I've not been around after my boys had to go - they were sooo freaking healthy but ya know what my wife said they don't smell right "they smell funny", I knew I had males but just not 6 out of 10. That really hurt. Oh well they are feeding my soil now so it's all good.

Cheers

Hi Bo!

Awesome Update brother! Your flower room looks perfect to me. I just wanted to reach through my monitor and supercrop those tops LOL! I've got serious issues...:Namaste:

I learn so much every time I stop by your neighborhood. My biggest most vigorous plants were always males until the Kali. 1 of the largest plants in veg ended up female, and she looks to be a producer.

Keep up the awesome job my friend!

Reps Doc thanks ... Got a few pics of the ladies and the girls in veg for the next round

Finally we have some flowers - Krystalica should finish around mid June - that will give me ~80 days in flower - these ladies have had pre-flowers for about 5 days and yesterday finally showed me some goodies!!

WP_20150329_001.jpg

WP_20150329_003.jpg

here's a pic of the big girl = preflowers no budlettes yet - notice how the leaves angle up towards the lights
they look VERY healthy. Tomorrow will be SST I've got alafalfa seeds sprouting now - I will only feed alfalfa sprouts 2x during the grow first was 2 weeks into veg and the 2nd is now 2nd week of flowering. I will use SST every other watering usually using wheat grass. I also harvest the wheat grass for me and my wife - we get a shot or 2 then the roots get tossed into the LOS soil I've got cooking.

WP_20150329_006.jpg

WP_20150329_004.jpg

This is my last seed from the last run - she looks like shes getting preflowers already and she's only 30 days old and in 24/0 still - notice how short the node spacing is .... lets hope she's a girl!!

WP_20150329_007.jpg

Group shot of the nursery - the containers that look empty are auto flowering strains I will leave them in the nursery for 24/0 lighting and see how they grow - I've never tried autos but I'm running short on time as mid summer we go on extended holiday to Canada. That will be the end of the spring run and the fall run will start when we get back from Holiday like we did last year.

WP_20150329_0081.jpg

Great update Bo!

Your plants are the picture of health my friend! Keeping my fingers crossed for no balls LOL!:thumb:

Great update Bo!

Your plants are the picture of health my friend! Keeping my fingers crossed for no balls LOL!:thumb:

Thanks Doc, my wife thinks I am working too hard and making it complicated... but she's a TOTAL organic farmer very old school too.
Her recipe is worms, more worms when there's too many worms thro the extra worms in the compost bin and build several compost piles around the yard so we don't have to haul any soil very far! Me, I'm out there with the ACT pouring on our berries and veggie/flower beds, growing sprouts in the kitchen and all the indoor plants have a LOS which really means gnats! I mean your soil ain't living without the gnat fellas right? hahaha Last year we had gnats all spring summer and fall. They come from the compost bin...its all about control the population. Why am I rambling on about gnats... well because I've got a new family and they are breeding ... damnit. A quick spray with the H2O2 and they are gone for a week or soo...

Ok a quick primer on making an SST or Sprouted Seed Tea... this is probably the easiest tea to make for the girls, at least it is for me.

Here's how I do it:
This is a Alfalfa Sprout Tea - really a must do, but I only do it with Alfalfa 2 or maybe 3 times a grow cycle. It's very strong. We want the enzymes that the tap root produces - its very helpful when growing flowers and also new growth. I use this once about 2nd week into Veg and again 2nd week of flower and maybe one more time in flower.

1) put seeds in the sprouting container - go to your local Asian store they carry them or purchase off Amazon - makes sprouts EASY

2) water (RO water) every 8 hrs or so and throw the 1st and 2nd watering water in compost bin or drain - do not water your cannabis plants with it. you can water your cannabis plants with the 3rd watering runoff it will have the enzymes we are looking for.

3) after the 3rd or 4th watering you will see sprouts - they look like this:
These sprouts are a little long - the tap root should be the same size as the seed, I didn't have all the seeds sprouted so I watered 1 more time and they start to green up; a little late but still good.

WP_20150331_002.jpg

WP_20150331_003.jpg
WP_20150331_004.jpg

Put the sprouts in a food processor and let er rip for 30 seconds or so... ya gatta kill em so let it rip.

Then pour the contents of the food processor into a gal jug with some more RO water - notice the nice white color to the water - ready to go feed the girls! They will absolutely love you and respond every time you walk in the room after this. I am not kidding...watch for the wiggle... when you say HI!

My seed sprouter is in the background there - it has 4 sprout trays.

the other 2 I'm growing Wheat Grass for us and the soil - I ground up the wheat grass roots after I harvest and juice and throw that into the compost bin/worm bin for future use.

Nothing gets wasted <-- key

WP_20150331_005.jpg

Hi Bo!

Great Update my friend... I will have to try some sprouted teas soon. You're ladies look as happy as any I've seen.

DonTe posted this for an organic Anti Gnat spray.

It would be really cool if you tried it and reported back. I haven't seen a single gnat or pest my entire grow so I'm of no help lol! I'm certain it's coming, but so far it's been bug free :):):)!!!

Hi Bo!

Great Update my friend... I will have to try some sprouted teas soon. You're ladies look as happy as any I've seen.

DonTe posted this for an organic Anti Gnat spray.

It would be really cool if you tried it and reported back. I haven't seen a single gnat or pest my entire grow so I'm of no help lol! I'm certain it's coming, but so far it's been bug free :):):)!!!

Hey Doc - thanks for the link I'll be sure and check it out. You don't have gnats?? Wow only got them after doing ACT with a quart of compost from outside - they have dormant larvae that come alive after the winter. A good fan does em in or I use H202 like GD does. Once we start bringing is soils from outside thats when we get insects. Just hoping gnats are all I get they are not that bad just annoying as all get out.

WP_20150331_013.jpg
WP_20150331_012.jpg
WP_20150331_008.jpg
WP_20150331_007.jpg
WP_20150331_006.jpg

Hi Bo,

Looking beautiful my friend. What's up with droopy (last pic). Is she always like that? My WiFi I have going right now did the same thing and it just never grew. It hasn't stretched even a centimeter in 12/12 lol!! Looks like it will be fire although yield is going to be small. Just wondering what causes this? Maybe just genetics?

Hey Doc - good eye on the droop, no she's not like that normally. After giving her the SST she perked right up about 10 minutes later. She was thirsty. I must have missed her last watering. I solved that issue tonight, transplanted her to a much larger 7gal container, she should be good to go. I trimmed up the lower portion and got rid of all the swag lower leaves and bud sites. She shouldn't even skip a beat and that will solve the droopy issue. When they are starting off in flower they get REAL thirsty. I'm always afraid to over water so that one was a little deprived. Bigger containers and some more water should help, eh? I should have taken another pic after the watering but it was past lights out by the time I got done messing about. Straight up water tonight ... then tomorrow it will be an ACT I've had going - this tea is mostly all vermicompost from outside bin. i'm pretty much watering everyday now.

I'm going to spread some more Kashi and cover with greens as a top dress to help hold in the water, wont happen till the weekend tho.. I'll get pics up on the top dress mulch. I'm thinking EWC, greens, a little azomite powder and top that with Kashi. Maybe I'll be able to go 2-3 days between waterings.

Awesome Brother! Do you use Black Strap Molasses with your EWC? That's pretty much all I use for AACT now days. 5 gallons H20, 1 3/4 cups EWC, 1/3 cup BSM. Bubble for 36-48 hours. Look at that under a microscope and you'll freak out. More life than the planet earth hehehe.

You don't need my recipes Brother, you've got everything nailed to a T!. Awesome work Bo!:goodjob:

Yep we use Organic BSM from Whole Foods. It's the best. I worry sometimes I used too much and worry about root rot due to bacteria going anaerobic so I dont use as much as you. My recipe is 2 cups Vermicompost, 1 cup EWC, 2-3 tbs BSM in a 3 gal pot.

This round I threw in handful of alfalfa meal, 2 tbs of azomite and 1tbs of limestone powder(calcium carbonate).

Next ACT I will skip the alfalfa meal. I've already amended the soil previous to planting with all of the above as well.

I'm contemplating building a scrog out of bamboo but I might be too late, thoughts?? I've got a crap load of bamboo outside that needs to be cut back. I was actually thinking of hanging a scrog from the ceiling rails and tying a bunch of Bamboo together to make the grid. My girls came out of the blocks in flower looking like they were scrogged before and it felt to me like they were looking for support!! I don't think its too late yet - these girls are going slowwww. I just transplanted one of the ladies yesterday the one that was thirsty. I'm thinking I should transplant the last one thats not in a 7gal container and add in the scrog and do some selective topping see whats what.

Cheers

I built a scrog out of PVC and used it twice. It really sucks when you need to get in and work on your plants. Once you've weaved them into the Nets, you can't move them. If I had a large room with 360 access to the pots I'd try it again. But for a tent it basically makes it so you can't take your pots out for maintenance.

With your plants, I'd definitely top and super crop. I'd use stakes for tying up big and heavy buds. Basically, I go for the look of a scrog without using the net. You want as even of a canopy as possible for light distribution. It basically gives you multiple large colas per plant.

It will set you back a week or two but it will definitely pay off in the end.

Happy Daze Bob:).....all is looking Prime in here my friend:).....sorry to hear about the males but i am sure you will rock it out with the remaining 4 i think:)....

Hey there GD thanks for the condolences - had to be done.. 6 of 10 hurt pretty bad tho. Good news tho I've got my nursery rockin!

I've got 1 of each and they are growing strong:
Kali Ak (fem)
Blue Thai (fem)
My last of my blueberry seed (BsB) from my last grow - she's the biggest and badest and I think she's got preflowers... but I said that before eh?

The others in there are:
3 each Blue Thai - needs transplanting NOW
1 Paradise Delahaze (fem) VERY STRONG starter keeping up with my bag seed blue (BsB OG!!)
1 Kali AK Growing great too and keepin up with BsB.

Got a few clones going from the Krystalica too.. backups to the backups - plan A - B - C (plan B is make plan A work) ... Plan C is the Auto flower.. she should be done before everyone else! Dont what to run out of meds.

With your plants, I'd definitely top and super crop. I'd use stakes for tying up big and heavy buds. Basically, I go for the look of a scrog without using the net. You want as even of a canopy as possible for light distribution. It basically gives you multiple large colas per plant.

It will set you back a week or two but it will definitely pay off in the end. .

Thanks Doc - you can see that those girls getting into flower 2 of them have long inter-nodes. I'm contemplating something that will help build larger longer buds. There's 2 girls that don't exhibit that stretch and they are under different light. I've got a lot of variables. I know you have good results with super cropping and I just got 2 packs of that soft insulated plant wire and of course lots of bamboo... Maybe it's time to do a little trimming bending tying and preying! Oh my God... guess its a good weekend to do some preying and bending!! hahaha

I'm running 3 LEDs in this tent - 2 450w and a 900w light, room does get hot. I'm at about the same temps as I would be with a 600w hid & a 700w led but using less power with same ventilation too. The 900w light is the one that the plants with tighter inter-nodes are under. Obviously thats the difference. I thought the 2 450w lamps would be the same as the 1 900w Led (they draw the same watts) but they are different lights different LEDs. I put both of the stretchy plants kinda in the center of both lamps with the lamps about 12" apart so I "thought" I'd get good blending/overlap AND good saturation. Funny thing, the buds came out sooner and are bigger but are spaced farther apart under the 450w lamps. I don't have experience enough to know which is better at this point - lots of green and tighter inter-nodes or will the stretchy plants fill in over time.... ??? My gut says the tighter the inter-nodes the bigger and better the harvest but this is my first all LED grow so I'm not feeling the confidence here.

SOMETHING NEW (for me) - COCONUT WATER
Oh yeah something new I tried today. My wife went food shopping and as always brought back a few cans of pure Organic Coconut Water from Wholefoods - i gave all the little ones in the nursery a little shot. Within an hour or less I noticed a positive response. That was crazy. I had a few Blue Thai plants that were looking pekid and they bounced back just like that and the bigger girls in the nursery just got a lot more perky with leaves reaching up to the lights changing angles ... Anyone that has not tried Coconut Water - give it a shot. Next trip to the Asian store I'm getting the whole baby coconuts and drilling a hole and do some feeding. Lots of growth enzymes in the coconut water and we can grind up the coconut pulp and make a SST with it - after all the coconut is just a GIANT seed. I have to pass on the REPS to Clacamas Coot on this one. Reading all about No till organit soils is where I lernt it.

I'll get some pics up again this weekend - maybe even pics with white light so we can see the green (and the white) :thumb:

I'm glad that coconut juice is working out for you. I can't wait to use it in my new regimen. Have you ever used stinging nettle, comfrey, or borage in a drench? I'm going to be growing some this summer and want to give it a try...

I'm glad that coconut juice is working out for you. I can't wait to use it in my new regimen. Have you ever used stinging nettle, comfrey, or borage in a drench? I'm going to be growing some this summer and want to give it a try...

Hey there CC - you bet on the Nettle - we've been growing and collecting stinging nettles for several years. We drink it with out tea, my wife makes soups with it in place of any other greens (chicken vegetable), feed it to our dog with his dinner sometimes as well. Nettles have many many uses including top dress for plants. We plant it around our windows at ground level, since we live in an urban neighborhood it keeps peepers from getting too close to our windows!! Ever rub against fresh nettles on your skin? It will sting for a few hours but is safe and temporary, some sting themselves on purpose to treat arthritis!! I've not tried comfrey yet. It's one of those invasive plants, once you plant it, it's very difficult to impossible to get rid of it. I finally bought some seeds this year and have a place to plant it so I'm going to try it. comfrey is an "accumulator" which is a good substitute for manure as a top dress. You can also use rabbit manure same as comfrey.

The rabbit manure will be slow release but all the goodness immediately available to the plants and wont burn. High in nitrogen and other goodies.

The coconut water I never tried before but it made an immediate and not subtle growth spurt for the girls in veg - in fact I think I will be moving a few of my seedlings into the flower tent this week - 2 weeks ahead of schedule just from one feeding of coconut water. All I did was pour a shot or 2 on each of the young ones in Veg and they took off.

Happy Easter Daze Bob to you and yours:)....how much of that coconut water do you use per gallon?....i wonder if it would be beneficial for dwc at all or even the perlite hempies....does it feed the roots or the soil?

Hey there GD thanks for the Easter happiness there buddy. Hope the Easter Bunny found you and the mrs happy, healthy and keepin it green!

Just a shot or 2 of the coconut water - direct. I think you could add that just like water to your reservoir or whatever you call that thing you guys use.. The coconut water has growth enzymes and thats about it really. It's some mighty fine stuff there - really just tastes like water to me with a little something flavor but no sugars or anything like that to clog up the works.. I think the plants drink it up direct and uptake.

Quoted from Coots:
"Coconuts are one of the richest sources of Cytokinins which accelerates cell division in the plant".

All of that in addition all the goodness/enzymes. The Cytokinins explains the growth spurt over night! I don't know weather I want to try it on flowering plants yet tho.. might make them stretch more!! I'll have to try it this week on one of my ladies in flower and see what happens. I'll take pics and report back!!

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom