Creating Female Seeds Using Colloidal Silver - With High Brix

Nismo and Canna had great results with their Silver Thiosulfate seed spraying..just say'n :)

I will have to look into STS :) CS worked well for me last time so using what worked, but if there is faster, better, more efficient or just cool and unusual, I'm down to check it out :) Looks like I have some reading to catch up on now :) Thanks Dr Ziggy!

Here's a quick look at my 3rd run with my own feminized laniakea seeds:

Lani_stable_1_13_17.jpg

I may still cull one of them, but not sure yet. It was lagging behind the others slightly, but it has slightly different leaf structure and I'm intrigued. The stability of these seeds has been such a pleasure and makes a 6-plant run super-easy and predictable.

cheers all

p.s. I plan on taking a few clones tomorrow, upcanning these into their finishing pots and flipping to 11/13 in a few days.

Here's a quick look at my 3rd run with my own feminized laniakea seeds:

Lani_stable_1_13_17.jpg

I may still cull one of them, but not sure yet. It was lagging behind the others slightly, but it has slightly different leaf structure and I'm intrigued. The stability of these seeds has been such a pleasure and makes a 6-plant run super-easy and predictable.

cheers all

p.s. I plan on taking a few clones tomorrow, upcanning these into their finishing pots and flipping to 11/13 in a few days.

Govt! great to see you here too. :)
I think im going to soak a lani..never had it before. looks and sounds awesome ;)

:thanks:

Thanks Ziggy. I don't think you'll be disappointed if you do.

Yeah, I've been dealing with a number of life-changing events over the last few months, but needed to get my hands back in the dirt. If you ever happen to see Duggan "in person" :)ganjamon:) he can fill you in a little bit more, but in a nut shell, I was the victim of a "workforce reduction" after 20 years at the same place along with 30+ other long-term administrative types. I have a disabled wife and rely on the insurance it provided as the sole breadwinner. Then 3 weeks after that, one of our 12yo labs was diagnosed with cancer and had to undergo surgery to remove it. Then, a month after that, my step dad was diagnosed with inoperable glioblastoma and given 4-6 months to live.

Sometimes life deals you a shit hand, and while I'm currently unemployed for the first time in my life, we're moving on to the next chapter of it. Shaking off the funk and rearranging things to remain a survivor isn't where I planned to be at this point of my life...but it's just a thing.

Happy really is a choice.

When is to late in the plant cycle to spray CS on branches to get female pollen?

¥Koality¥

It's advisable to spray as early as possible. It takes about 4-6 weeks for a healthy viable seed to be formed.
If you think you're late try the Silver Thiosulfate. It's supposedly faster and more effective. :Namaste:

Both my attempts to hermie a plant limb using CS led to thousands of hermie flowers. I don't have an extra grow space to isolate the result, and it's been a bit chaotic trying to make this work. This next attempt I'm just spraying the last inch or so of a branch on my Critical Cheese, and not spraying as much. The master plan is to try and end up with just a few hermies if possible and let them go until I see signs of pollination, but hopefully before I get billions of seeds throughout the grow.
:thanks:

... Took a few weeks before hermies showed up, but after that it was like you said, Unforgiven. Only a few female pistils left amid masses of hermies, and the effect spread well down the branch as well as affecting a branchlet or two next over.
I thought that maybe it just takes a few weeks for the hermies to show up, and possibly if I had sprayed less in the beginning I would have had results in a few weeks as well, but fewer hermies to control.

Ok what I'll do then is experiment and just spray one tip of the Cheese a few times, and douse another tip more regularly, and see what the results are. Would be nice to just get a few CS nanners instead a few thousand.

Ok I posted that a couple months ago. Hemisync came along and gave me the great idea of making seeds using two very small clones- one sprayed with CS and one unsprayed. So I did that, along with experimenting around with the spray amounts on a bigger plant.

I set out to spray one limb of my Critical Cheese lightly and one more heavily - to see if I could produce a smaller and more controllable number of nanners. The CS used was my homemade stuff which is 60 ppm.

I started this experiment in mid November. The lighter branch got sprayed lightly eight times, two days apart, then I stopped spraying.

The heavier sprayed branch was sprayed more liberally 'about' 15 times. Basically I'd spray it once whenever I was in there, for the first three weeks or so of flowering. I stopped spraying after three weeks.

As of mid December, when I went away on vacation for two weeks, the lighter-sprayed branch wasn't showing any change, and the heavier one looked like it was starting to show some changes. I knew by this time that it was too late to reasonably be expecting to produce viable seeds from this experiment.

Got back at New Years and this was how things looked.

IMG_667216.JPG

Heavier spray. Dozens of nanners on the sprayed bud as well as several on a couple smaller buds lower on that branch.

IMG_667315.JPG

Lighter spray.

Very few nanners. Maybe 15-20 altogether. Only located near the tip of the bud that was sprayed and nothing else to be found in the area.

So- to some extent this experiment worked, in terms of controlling the amount of pollen produced, but since it took about two months to produce any pollen at all- it probably wouldn't work well to self-pollinate your average strain unless you left it to flower an extra long time

The idea of using two small clones, grown specially for the purpose of seeding, seem much more practical. Maybe it's a totally obvious idea, but it still wasn't obvious enough for me to think of. So thanks, Hemisync.

On Nov 26 the cuttings rooted and I put them directly into flowering. The picture shows two Critical Cheese and two Thai Stick cuttings. Shortly after I took this photo I decided to discontinue the Thai Stick strain and decided I already had enough seeds of this strain- so I pulled those two.
image18910.jpeg

I basically sprayed the crap out of one of the Cheese clones, whenever I was around. It started showing hermies after three weeks. While I was away on vacation I put the two plants in an attic space under a cfl and hoped for the best.

IMG_50828.JPG

IMG_509010.JPG

They survived fine even though it was cold in there. I put the unsprayed 'female' back in the flowering room a couple days ago. She seems to have quite a few seeds on her. Probably a lot more than I can see, based on previous experience.

IMG_657411.JPG

I've put a few cuttings of some other strains in the cloner for the purposes of making more fem seed of my favourite strains.

DrZ, the emergency press is on to preserve my #1 legendary strain White Widow with some Silver Colloidal.

my friend the klone king has kept her alive for 6 years by clone of clone.
3 or 4 times a year he tops/clones her and grows her out.
we are guessing 20+ generations and still kicks ass.

but most of his clones are dying off for some unknown reason and he lost a lot of the best strains I gave him over the past 6 years.
he is trying to get me 2 of the WW soon and I want to be ready to make some seeds.

I have started 1 of my own WW seeds I made with Tiresias Mist a few years ago (probably made with 10th gen clone, and I only have 1 left)

a question I have is should I use the Silver on one of the klone king WW clones or should i use it on the WW I have that I made from fem seeds which would have further generations back than the clone would.
even though there has been no degrading of the quality so far.

second thing is about timing.
from what I understand start spraying a few days before flip and then till i see the pods crack open?

and should I hold back the pollinated plant a few weeks behind flipping the other females to 12/12? or is it the other way around, flip the pollinated plant first?

Has anyone tried selfing parts of both plants and letting the pollen fly? Like Ziggy did with his first + crosses? :hmmmm:

I don't know how hard it is to switch part of a plant ...

That would probably get you the best chance at keeping the good genetics. If you just have the one shot, then one of them has to die ... unless you can reveg a male? :hmmmm: Why not, I suppose. Hmmm.

Interesting. The only experience I have is with my accidental crosses, and in most of those cases the next generation resembled the female. So ... which do you want to be female, but which sex needs to have the hardier genetics? I've heard of super males in many of the best lines.

Ah! If the problem/concern is the low clone rate, then the earlier generation should be female, yes? :hmmmm: Cause it still clones well.

Graytail

The WW from seed I mentioned earlier was made from a selfed clone.

half was sprayed and half left alone. pollen one side, seeds on the other.

is that what you meant?

Graytail

The WW from seed I mentioned earlier was made from a selfed clone.

half was sprayed and half left alone. pollen one side, seeds on the other.

is that what you meant?

Yeah, exactly - do 'em both that way. If you have plants from two widely separated generations, you're probably more likely to get a hardy cross if you use all the available pollen. There'll be variety in the S1s. And if you let it fly, you won't have to choose one for the female.

second thing is about timing.
from what I understand start spraying a few days before flip and then till i see the pods crack open?

and should I hold back the pollinated plant a few weeks behind flipping the other females to 12/12? or is it the other way around, flip the pollinated plant first?

First, you can't really spray too much, so once the pollen pods start forming you should be o.k., but an extra day or two won't hurt.

Second, you want the sprayed clone about a week or so ahead of the one to be pollinated since the window of the receiving plant to be pollinated is finite and you want pollen ready for when it's ovulating.

If anyone wants the STS recipe or how to use it, here is the write up I did in our journal back in november.

Today is flip day for the devil's carnival. So with that we have the first silver thiosulfate (STS) application. The recipe we used was from heirloom and it is the one he used and was very successful with. Make sure to have gloves on when handling these chemicals and we wore long sleeves. Use no metal tools either for the silver. We used plastic spoons, glass, and a piece of paper on the scale.

Here is everything you will need:

Silver nitrate
Sodium Thiosulfate pentahydrate (pentahydrate use 1.56 times more than anhydrous version)
Distilled water

DSC_014831.JPG

First up: 1g silver nitrate put into 60mL of water. Stirring. Should dissolve in about 10 seconds.

DSC_014930.JPG

DSC_015032.JPG

Sodium thiosulfate pentahydrate - 6.25g into 240mL of water. This needs to be a 4:1 ratio to the 60ml silver nitrate solution.

DSC_015128.JPG

So in total:

1g silver nitrate in 60mL of water...check
6.25g sodium thiosulfate in 240 mL water...check

So now we have our solutions. Separate they can store for years in a cool dark place (light degrades the silver). But now we want to take enough to do our sprayings. Mixed together it'll last the 2 weeks we need it to. Now we will mix it at 4:1 with the solution and then 5:1 with distilled water.

We took 10 ml of silver nitrate solution and rapidly stirred it into 40 ml of the sodium thio solution. Once that was mixed it was then stirred into distilled water at a 5:1 ratio. Since we had 50 ml solution, we mixed it into 250 ml of water. BAM! Time to spray our victim.

DSC_015230.JPG

She has acclimated to her new home and is looking quite healthy. Starting to look more like her carnival mother everyday.

DSC_015631.JPG

When you go to spray this solution, it is advised to put news paper down. Well we just had a large 2'x2' box that she fit into to spray.

DSC_015724.JPG

DSC_015825.JPG

We didn't want to her to be all pollen so we marked the branches to be sprayed and put a bag over the rest to protect them.

DSC_015930.JPG

Sprayed like she had mites. All over. As Heirloom said, "If I had a vat of it, I would dunk the whole plant."

DSC_016034.JPG

She will have 2 more days like this a week apart. A total of 6 applications. After the first application today, around noon, and the final one will be just after I post this. Once this is done she will be in 12/12 and in 4 weeks we should have pollen. On spray days...twice a day. No direct light. The carnival reveg that will be pollinated also will stay for another week in 18/6. So when pollen flies, it'll be prime pollination time.
:thumb:

Here it is day 49 with loads of seeds and frosty as hell. Only had to spray a total of 6 times over 3 days a week apart. Very successful.

420-magazine-mobile661705528.jpg

420-magazine-mobile347787849.jpg

Thanks Nismo. Where would a person buy the chemicals for this?
Picked them up on the zon. Around $25 total for both of them. We did the colloidal silver route the first time and that was around $15 but had to spray around 60 times lol. To me it is worth it. Plus the branches we sprayed didn't even try to become female. It is the way to go in my opinion.

HH, can you get & use Silver Thiosulfate? Nismo/Canna got rapid excellent results..i can get the recipe here if you wish..:)

Well I guess I could, but the Silver Colloidal just came in the mail the other day, so I will give it a try.
I will keep the ST in mind if the SC doesn't work well.

Thanks DrZ

also, I decided to spray the WW from the seeds I made for pollen to use on the clones.
It would be like back crossing to the mom, sort of.

you want the sprayed clone about a week or so ahead of the one to be pollinated since the window of the receiving plant to be pollinated is finite and you want pollen ready for when it's ovulating.

That's what I thought, but I thought I read the reverse and was confused

Thanks Gov

Thank you to nismo12 for posting

Here are a few pics of some of my Laniakea feminized beans (made in the beginning of this thread). These are my 2nd run with them and they were flipped the day after these pics...

lani11.jpg

Lani31.jpg

Lani2.jpg

I'm now beginning the search for my next fem project.

Back
Top Bottom