Cultivators Play Pen

a few pics of how i set up intake and extraction in a tent. this tent isnt set up for the grow yet but this gives an idea of how i do it. passive intake, x2 4" duct bring air from outside. 10"fan extracting on idle speed pulling through a rhino carbon filter, extracting through ceiling into loft space. this wont give a thermal image if loft is well ventilated and not to small.

The intake duct have tights over the manifold to stop pests getting in. cheap filter.

20131028_102503.jpg
20131028_102510.jpg
20131028_102514.jpg
20131028_102520.jpg
20131028_102528.jpg

Looking good C, any word on your new lights?

Not yet bro, they in transit thats all i know. Looking forward to trialing them now.....

hey Cultivator that's some kick @ss room you got there. just wondering with the coco dwc will you top feed still throughout growth or do you think the coco should wick enough moisture for the root ball?

No def wont top feed throughout growth. The second i see any roots protruding net pot the top feed will stop. The coco shouldnt get wet again after that. I''ll flush it through so there arent any salt build up and then the coco will just be inert, holding the base of plant in place. The roots will reach for the res as soon as they are through. Its important to keep the coco or rockwool dry so it doesnt rot the roots. The plants will take everything they need from the res when the roots are exposed.

I much prefer to use clay pebbles as i get such great results but just thought i would try this. I know its at the very least going to put 1 if not 2 extra weeks on my veg time. But thats ok this round as it will give the seedlings a chance to catch up.

Heeyy C !!!

What can i say bud, it took me a couple of weeks to study your journals, is like going to some kind of a "ganja university" !!!!! lol
Congratulations for the amazing job you ve done there and for the tons of info and help , you give to everyone , mate !!! Honestly...

I see excpet dwc you used also an iws system, with amazing results !!!!!

Im asking because 4-5 months ago i got a similar system which im pretty sure you know it very well, its the other alternate uk system , the multiflow v2 digital .
Except from the fully programmable digital timer , it supposes to have thicker hose lines. (Main reason i choosed that over the cheaper v1 , version)

I 'd like to hear your opinion about this system !
I would also like to throw few other questions mate, if you dont mind ...

Be good buddy , stay safe !

...and thank you !!!

Welcome Billy.

Glad u like my journals.

Yes ive used the IWS systems and they are ok but far from great. The trouble is the flood/drain lines are far to narrow so means floods take a long time with anything over a 12 pot system. and draining takes even longer which is a huge no no, u want to system to drain as fast as poss to suck that fresh o2 into rootzone.

IWS has a pro version using 1/2inch lines but again far too narrow to run the system they advertise for (48 pot).

I havent used the system u describe but im aware of it. i cant answer specific questions about the system having never used it but i can answer general questions about flood and drain. They are really easy to DIY and if u use 1 1/4" pipe the system will run much more effectively, especially on larger pot systems.

Please ask any questions u like. If i can answer there are a network of people i can forward questions to who can help.

Naah, its not something you cant answer C , great thanks, im gonna fire up a few for now:

1. How many litters of water in res you think is ideal, for a 12 pots setup ? I assume somewere arround 90-100 ? (You had arround 200 for 24 pots, if i remember correctly)

2. When i bought my tent (SJ 120), i had a diffrent setup in my mind unfortunately... lol . What you 'd do in my possition, 9 pots or even 6 with two weeks veg , or 12 pots with a week less in veg ?
Which method you think will suit better ?
(I got the 12 pots sys)
Lights is 1200 watt led (4x300 panels)

3. I was thinking too, to not go sterlize and use bennies for great root mass as well , so im thinking of a bio-filter.
What do you think of an external aquarium pump (no carbon in it) like eheim etc , to colonize the microbes ? It will also help to keep nutes circulated , better than an airstone in my opinion .
res temps i dont think its gonna be a problem, its not so hot here and i ll use ac, anyway...

4. I see you got great success with guardian angel. I can find most of AN products locally , but not this one (its not AN, i know). Can you recommend something simmilar ? I see its an enzyme product, can i use senizyme or voodoo juice , for the same purpose ?
It looks the same to me ..

Thats a few that came in my mind for now, C ! Thank you in advance .. i ll be following your journals , its something really amazing man !!!! Well done, again.

Heh btw now i remembered it, your cloner must be the "X-TREAM propagator" 106 , site !! I got the 36 model ...lol

Naah, its not something you cant answer C , great thanks, im gonna fire up a few for now:

1. How many litters of water in res you think is ideal, for a 12 pots setup ? I assume somewere arround 90-100 ? (You had arround 200 for 24 pots, if i remember correctly)

2. When i bought my tent (SJ 120), i had a diffrent setup in my mind unfortunately... lol . What you 'd do in my possition, 9 pots or even 6 with two weeks veg , or 12 pots with a week less in veg ?
Which method you think will suit better ?
(I got the 12 pots sys)
Lights is 1200 watt led (4x300 panels)

3. I was thinking too, to not go sterlize and use bennies for great root mass as well , so im thinking of a bio-filter.
What do you think of an external aquarium pump (no carbon in it) like eheim etc , to colonize the microbes ? It will also help to keep nutes circulated , better than an airstone in my opinion .
res temps i dont think its gonna be a problem, its not so hot here and i ll use ac, anyway...

4. I see you got great success with guardian angel. I can find most of AN products locally , but not this one (its not AN, i know). Can you recommend something simmilar ? I see its an enzyme product, can i use senizyme or voodoo juice , for the same purpose ?
It looks the same to me ..

Thats a few that came in my mind for now, C ! Thank you in advance .. i ll be following your journals , its something really amazing man !!!! Well done, again.

Heh btw now i remembered it, your cloner must be the "X-TREAM propagator" 106 , site !! I got the 36 model ...lol

Ok

So for ur res it depends on the size of pots really. pots are prob 18litre? so u want about 10litres in each pot to make sure the roots get submerged well.

I think in a 1.2x1.2 area 9 pots with that wattage will be fine. Generally in the flood drain system i veg longer than i would for DWC, it just depends on the size of the cuttings used from the start. If u are using pebbles as medium which i recommend, be sure to wash the pebbles before u start or u will get a lot of residue in system thats a pain to clean and affects ph.

Im not sure on the bio filter, its not something ive tried. I would just have some air stones in res and add what i want. u will be changing out the res every 7 days atleast.

Sensizym and voodoo juice arent the same as guardian angel. U can get it off ebay for £30 ish. Its a fantastic product but u can certainly grow without it. sensizym is like cannazym, it breaks down dead organic matter for uptake as nutrient and voodoo juice is beneficial fungi. Roots excellurator is kind of like guardian angel and goes a long way as its quite concentrated.

What base nutrient are u thinking of using? what additives?

For base nutrients , I was thinking to use GHE (m-g-b). For additives, exactly same as yours !!
Piranha, voodoo, bud ignitor, overdrive ! I was afraid of feeding the microbes with sugars, but from what I see, if you have res temps under control, you dont give the change to bad microbes to overcome the good ones ! So im thinking to add bud candy to my recipe , as well !
(Thats why I was happy when I came to your journal, almost same system, same nutes and a GREAT strain !!) I was thinking to start with DP white widow, but that now went second in my list, just below AMS !!
lol

I was also thinking , no full change every week. Just a partial change (half res) and full one only before transition ! I think thats the benefit of running a bio-filter !!!

From the other side I have NO experience of growing , thats why I ask ...
But from what ive read .... lol

The other problem Is , I dont want order anything online my friend , specially nutes !! I had more than enough online orders with panels, climate controllers, wrong flood and drain system etc etc...
I HAVE to find something locally. :(
Here where I live, there is only one main hydro shop (but with many smaller shops in diffrent areas), which has a ton of stuff, but NOT all the stuff. I would be more than gratefull, to name me some diffrent brands mate for root excellurator, or if you have the time and being in the mood, I can send you the link and take a quick look for yourself, just to the nutes page.

Thats all, thank you very much C for your valuable help !

There are a ton of diffrent sites about growing, but nothing compares to the ocean of info , knowledge and most important HELP, you get here ! Amazing...

Edit:
I have no idea what size the pots are, but the system is the regular one, no xl size etc etc..
But I think it comes around to ten litters C, if im right !!!!!
Medium yes, it will be very well cleaned-licked, clay pebbles !!!! :D

I hope you don't mind me chiming in here culti but I was wondering if the use of sensizyme towards the end of flower in AN's regime and not bennies was due to the extra sugars in the system?? just a thought.
Sorry ill also jump in on the bio filter idea this was something I was toying with but after researching a bit more on bennies and how they work ive come to realise that most rely on that symbiotic relationship with the plant for survival, such as the mycorhizal fungi in voodoo that anchor themselves to the roots and convert nutrients for your plant, therefore having them outside of the rhizosphere (root zone) would be a lot less beneficial. Some bennies such as nitrosomas (nitrogen converting bacteria) will thrive in an aerobic environment alone such as in a fish tank but certainly not all the bennies will survive that environment. Your weekly change will also rid your system of any built up salts etc If using an ec meter how do you know if that EC is usable nutrients or burnt up salts? changes are necessary imo but just my 2c.
p.s. what better biological filter is there than clay pebbles full of micro pores etc the bennies want the same environment your roots want anyway. sorry for jackin culti im done now.

Hello voodoo !!

I was just wondering the same, but im pretty sure ive read somewhere that pebbles is not suitable host for microbes. Also dont forget (from what ive read too), microbes need to be underwater to survive ! In f & d system the pebbles get water only few times a day.

Also from what ive understood, salt build up cannot occur when u run a bio-sys. It supposes microbes take care of that...

But as I said, im talking with no experience at all !!!! lol
(Please anyone correct me if im wrong)

Cheerz buddy :)

right so what voodoo says about the beneficials living in rootzone is correct. The roots will always be moist and once they are introduced and get into the rootzone thats where u want them to stay. I really dont think the filter is necessary but its up to u if u'd like to try it.

I dont use overdrive, i dont like it, infact i dont like any of the AN boosts. for that system i would go with Canna Aqua vega and flores, excellent for recirculating hydro. Bud candy isnt used to feed microbes its used to give the plant carbohydrate boost. The fungi and microbes survive by trading nutes to plants in exchange for sugars. u only reall need to add carboload or similar if using piranha or tarantula.

this is what i recommend using, ive tried and tested this many times and works great, especially if u are going to grow AMS.

Veg:
canna Aqua vega full strength
AN B-52
AN Voodoo Juice
Guardian Angel or House and Gardens Roots excelurator
cannazym
PH- Grow (nitric acid)

Flower:
Canna Aqua Flores
AN Bud Ignitor
B-52
Voodoo Juice
AN Piranha and Tarantula (optional, wont increase yield but def gives a better start to flowering.)
Dutch Pro Explode (I cant stress how good this stuff is. Def Best all round boost ive used. Gives great yield but improves resin production massively. I wont use any other boost now and its so simple to use)
AN Bud Candy
Cannazym
PH- Bloom(Phosphoric acid)

PH throughout 5.5-5.8

U will def still get some salt build up if u dont do frequent changes. Upon starting when i transplant i let the first mix go 2 weeks as the root mass is small so the nutes dont get all used up. But after that i change every week. In flower i mix the nutes a little stronger than recommend (plants can take high e.c in flood drain using pebbles, A.M.S def can) then after 3 days i will top up with water. Its important to give full change at least weekly in flower as plants use up alot of nutes and u want to make sure they have what they need.

i order pretty much everything online. I dont like paying shop prices, they are scandalous (im actually looking into opening a grow shop lol). Ive never had any issues at all with the companys i use, they are discreet and promp. I can give u couple stores to look for if u like?

What i have listed is what i would use. But feel free to try what u like. Cant stress how good the Dutch pro Explode is though, their base nutes arent great so never use those if u can help it but its a great boost and works well in my mix.

Forgot to add House and Garden's Drip Clean to the list. i use it every res change in recirc systems. it will stop lines getting crusted up with salts and gives nice vitality boost to plants. it goes a long way too, 1ml/10litres.

thats true but bad bacteria only gets in there if u introduce it. if u are scrupulous in keeping area clean and wash hands before handling plants its not an issue. also if u load up on good stuff theres no room for the bad. ive only ever had a couple of bad cases of root rot and that was down to me not paying attention to temps and cleanliness. if u keep that water cool and well aerated there should be no issues.

what i can say on experience is this. u learn every grow, no matter how many u do. ive had certain people ive helped on here through a grow and all of a sudden they know everything, telling me i am wrong. thats ok if u can back it up. but if a grow goes right the first time, mimick it to make sure its not a fluke, then start to improve on it. ive been growing well over a decade now and i still have huge gaps in knowledge. i, clued up in certain areas but wen u think u have it figured out something happens that makes u see theres other things going on. thats why i dont tell people my way is gospel anymore, i was arrogant once but realised there are many ways to get great results. being a member of this forum for over 4 years has helped me become more open minded in growing. this is a great place to learn and i wish i had access to this wen i first started, it would have saved me many many mistakes. just question everything and try to weed out the bad advice, although this is a great community theres so many dreamers giving out poor info. whether its unintentional or not it could cost someone a grow. the best one i heard off a noob (he would tell u otherwise) was to ignore ph in hydro, yeah thats great advice lol. try to learn as much as poss and share what u learn to give back. :peace:

its pretty easy to see who gets results cos they journal it! if someone tries telling u the way but their grows go to shit......well whats to say lol

Back
Top Bottom