Curing & Boveda Packets

Curly Beaver

Yesterday I took my bud off the drying rack and put it in a paper bag overnight. This morning I put it in a gallon glass jug along with a humidity meter, which went to 55% and stayed there.
I have 12 of the the Boveda 62% 4 Gm packets, and have 6 of them in there right now. After about 4 hours it seems to have stabilized at 60%.
My question is, should I leave it alone and be happy with 60% humidity or put some more packets in the jar? I do have 6 more, just don't know if I'm trying to rush it or not.
Do they tend to work right away or will it drift upwards with more time?
Thanks.

60% sounds just fine to be honest it is about around the rule of the :thumb:

I've not used these things before so can not really comment a great deal myself at present as i'm more old school, traditional methods at the moment, as i trust my feelings, sense's & how i know my environment to guide me.

Just keep a close eye on it, if it is new to you these methods.

i have used them before there not bad they stop the guess work and keeps the curing cannabis at 60% humility all times how can you go wrong lol

60% sounds just fine to be honest it is about around the rule of the :thumb:

I've not used these things before so can not really comment a great deal myself at present as i'm more old school, traditional methods at the moment, as i trust my feelings, sense's & how i know my environment to guide me.

Just keep a close eye on it, if it is new to you these methods.

It's "ALL" new to me... Ist grow, 1st harvest, 1st cure.... if 60% is right in there I'll just leave it alone, that seems to be where she has settled in.

Anyone care to explain how to properly "burp" the jar?

How long do you leave the lid off each time?

Do automatically burp at set intervals or are you watching your hygrometer for clues as to when it needs to be done?

Thanks in advance.

You don't have to burp at all if you are already stable at 60%. Burping is to get down to 62%, there is no benefit to further burping after that.
No need to add more packs unless they have shrunk and got chunky inside. Still swollen with liquid, still working.

My herb is drying in mostly quart size mason jars, each with 62% 8g Boveda Packs. The problem is that even after a week, some of my jars are registering 65% and 66% humidity. Is this a problem and should I be concerned? Obviously I want to prevent any chance of mold, which I'm scared could ruin the crop. Is 65% or 66% OK or do I need to take any action to get it down to 62%?

FWIW, I dried the buds for about a week until they were dry and the branches snapped easily.

Thanks for any input on my curing RH!!!

:peace:

Maybe whatever you're using to measuring it is off a little because the packs are dead on their good just burped the jar to get it down to 62 then your good to go but I wouldn't even worry about it popped the packs set it forget it

As I understand it, cure will continue down to about 55%. I dry until I am at about 62%, then right into jars with boveda packs. The packs never dry out this way.

I do not burp after 62%. Again, as I understand it, you want the CO2 levels to increase inside the jar, and it seems to work for me. I try not to open it at all. After about 2 weeks without opening it, I start "testing" it :)

CURING2.JPG

If you are at 60%, leave it alone. You are dialed in.
4 gm packs? They will work but not for long once the herb has lost its initial moisture. I use the 60 gm packs in gallon jars.

i'm loving these boveda packs. i use the bigguns in my gallon jars. to burp or not to burp that is the question....

i still check em every day or two. get it open give it a stir, smell the heavenly aromas and close it up again. the pack stays nice n puffy.

have fun eh

If you can measure the humidity and it says 60%, burping the jar just means losing RH so the Boveda pack has to replace it back to where it was before opening it.

I have several jars of herb that have kept beautifully with Bovedas! One of them recently won NOTM. :cheesygrinsmiley: In fact, I'm smoking some 2+ year old Carnival right now.

In my opinion, ideal humidity is closer to 60%, but 62% works perfectly well, and I've never seen any sign of mold. An interesting experiment is to weigh a few Boveda packs. I discovered that the small pack can hold as much as 1/4 oz of water. :thedoubletake: I weighed a dry one and a very plump one and got a difference of 7 grams!

So, once your herb has reached 60-65%, the Bovedas will handle any more or less moisture. I use the small packs in quart jars, and after the first couple weeks, I'll open the jar and feel the Boveda. If it's too plump, I'll put a drier one in, and vice versa. That's usually enough to stabilize the jar for as much as a year, although I've opened some jars after more than a year, and the Boveda was still plump.

Once your jars are stabilized, burping serves no purpose at all, unless you want to mess with the terpenes (sometimes you can vent off unpleasant ones). If you leave the jar sealed, the existing terpenes will develop further. I usually get a dramatic improvement over the first few weeks. I haven't noticed any drop in potency after years in the jar, and in some cases it has increased - I have some aged Panama that kicks my butt!

:thumb::Namaste:

I agree 60% seems ideal. Too bad Boveda doesn't make 60% packs.

Back
Top Bottom