Dennise - No Longer The Newest Of Newbies - Not Growing In MG - Perpetual

Hey Dennise.Everything look's great.I have also been dealing with a bit of high humidity,65-70 in one of my flowering area's.I just added another small clip fan and it dropped quite a bit.Every set up is different tho,but you know the basic's.You'll figure something out.
I wanted to ask how the finished bud's felt?Hard/tight packed or fluffy/air.Not after drying,but now while still on plant.If you all ready posted,sorry I missed it.:thumb:

Soooo....now that you have taken the plant out from the cheapy LED lights, what's your assessment of them?
I have given up on mine. I had 6 seedlings and two clones under them for almost 3 weeks now and the growth was incredibly slow in my opinion. I gave up two days ago, put them under CFL's and can visibly see much new growth.
I'll find something to do with the light panels.....maybe hide them in a Christmas tree next year for effect.:laugh:

Soooo....now that you have taken the plant out from the cheapy LED lights, what's your assessment of them?
I have given up on mine. I had 6 seedlings and two clones under them for almost 3 weeks now and the growth was incredibly slow in my opinion. I gave up two days ago, put them under CFL's and can visibly see much new growth.
I'll find something to do with the light panels.....maybe hide them in a Christmas tree next year for effect.:laugh:

Why not use the cheapy LED panels to give up-light to lower leaves. Or the sides. I think they would be good for that.

By the way, I had some aphids on one of my plants in the greenhouse. I see now that my Brugmansia (Angel's Trumpets) have aphids. This is not abnormal for late winter on plants which never went dormant. So, I sprayed everything down with a strong jet of water and we'll see. I'm not going to freak out. And, I don't know what is taking these plants so darn long to finish, anyway. They ARE autos.

Why not use the cheapy LED panels to give up-light to lower leaves. Or the sides. I think they would be good for that.

Ah, isn't this interesting. It's been my understanding that uplighting leaves is ineffective, other than the light that may shine through the leaves to the upper side. Do plants photosynthesize on the lower leaf surface?

Good luck with that Brooklyn. Keep us posted.

Ah, isn't this interesting. It's been my understanding that uplighting leaves is ineffective, other than the light that may shine through the leaves to the upper side. Do plants photosynthesize on the lower leaf surface?

Yes, there are two layers by which the cells can photosynthesize; upper and lower side of leaf.

idk, but I do know my plants turn their leaves to "face" the light how they like

I wouldn't run a bulb under the plant, but I do run side lighting. that's a good idea about the leds since you bought them already, but don't remove a cfl just to get them up. a cfl is brighter than those 14 watt panels. then again the coverage area is much greater from the led panels so who knows

we do know the more light the better lol. it bothers me that I have 2 extra cfls that I can't make room for even though temps permit it.

Yes, there are two layers by which the cells can photosynthesize; upper and lower side of leaf.

Thanks, Faerie, I know you have credentials, so I knew you'd know, ya know? :cheesygrinsmiley:

Other people have had the great idea of lighting leaves from underneath, and I always thought it was more harmful than good. Yes, there's some positive effects, but it screws up the hormones.

And thanks for the reps! Backatcha!

idk, but I do know my plants turn their leaves to "face" the light how they like

I wouldn't run a bulb under the plant, but I do run side lighting. that's a good idea about the leds since you bought them already, but don't remove a cfl just to get them up. a cfl is brighter than those 14 watt panels. then again the coverage area is much greater from the led panels so who knows

we do know the more light the better lol. it bothers me that I have 2 extra cfls that I can't make room for even though temps permit it.
Yeah, there was a discussion on my thread a long time ago about running lighting from below and it was a bad idea. Something about confusing the plant where it didn't know which way it supposed to grow. If I remember correctly....anyway...wasn't a good idea. LOL
I have plenty of room for side lighting and these panels are flat, so they can be adhered right to the walls. I won't even have to hang them. Yey! :thumb:

Thanks, Faerie, I know you have credentials, so I knew you'd know, ya know? :cheesygrinsmiley:

Other people have had the great idea of lighting leaves from underneath, and I always thought it was more harmful than good. Yes, there's some positive effects, but it screws up the hormones.

I have never seen what an LED panel of lights looks like in person or how bright they actually in terms of lumens, foot candles, whatever you wish to call it. I was under the assumption (only in my head!) that they were not bright! They'd have to be bright enough to produce canna, duh!

So when I said up-light, I was envisioning a very subtle light to give the inner foliage some light. The more photo, the more sugars, the more resins, yadda. But, LEDs are much brighter, of course, and using them from the side would be much better use. I noticed when my plants where in the closet under the CFLs, they actually perked up quite a bit and put on some pretty rapid growth when I lowered some of the bulbs to get lower on the plant. I was impressed. Grow lights of today are nothing like they were. God I'm an old broad!

I have never seen what an LED panel of lights looks like in person or how bright they actually in terms of lumens, foot candles, whatever you wish to call it. I was under the assumption (only in my head!) that they were not bright! They'd have to be bright enough to produce canna, duh!

So when I said up-light, I was envisioning a very subtle light to give the inner foliage some light. The more photo, the more sugars, the more resins, yadda. But, LEDs are much brighter, of course, and using them from the side would be much better use. I noticed when my plants where in the closet under the CFLs, they actually perked up quite a bit and put on some pretty rapid growth when I lowered some of the bulbs to get lower on the plant. I was impressed. Grow lights of today are nothing like they were. God I'm an old broad!

I have been able to compare time lapse videos of seedlings first under the Cheap LED panels and the last two days under CFL's.
The amount of activity from the 14w LED's was very slow, having just reviewed the CFL video it's an amazing difference. The plants are just dancing lively through the time lapse under the CFL's and shooting out new leaves very quickly. That's what changed my mind on ever using the 14w LED panels for my main light in the future. :thumb:

Now we know Princess DIY.

Hey Dennise.Everything look's great.I have also been dealing with a bit of high humidity,65-70 in one of my flowering area's.I just added another small clip fan and it dropped quite a bit.Every set up is different tho,but you know the basic's.You'll figure something out.
I wanted to ask how the finished bud's felt?Hard/tight packed or fluffy/air.Not after drying,but now while still on plant.If you all ready posted,sorry I missed it.:thumb:
Hi Jimmy!! I did put another fan in there this afternoon and actually got another one but will see if I need to put it in there tomorrow. I also put 2 damprid things in there and they help in the closet quite a bit so we will see. We are having a lot of rain for the next few days and then nice for the weekend so it will lower by then.
The buds on the closet girls are getting pretty tight. That top really bid bud has almost doubled in circumference in the last couple of days and the trichs have come on large......:thumb:
I really can't honestly say because I never used them alone for anything. I always had the LED spot lights with them and so the clones and the top did great under them but how much of it was the spot lights and how much of it was the LED's.... IDK.....:high-five:
Sounds like a good plan....:thumb:
By the way, I had some aphids on one of my plants in the greenhouse. I see now that my Brugmansia (Angel's Trumpets) have aphids. This is not abnormal for late winter on plants which never went dormant. So, I sprayed everything down with a strong jet of water and we'll see. I'm not going to freak out. And, I don't know what is taking these plants so darn long to finish, anyway. They ARE autos.
It seems like the last couple of weeks have been years!!!!
Oh now you tell me after the closet girls are almost through and they have had lower lighting since forever ago.... It has made the bottom of the one plant explode though having the lights on it but those limbs do grow kinda funny.......:circle-of-love:
Now, I like the idea of using them for side lighting as an added feature. Thanks!
That's really all I ever did with them.....
Good luck with that Brooklyn. Keep us posted.
:circle-of-love:
:high-five:

I certainly hope so... Hi b.real...:high-five:

Again thanks for saying something when you saw I was running lights under my plants. I bet everything that went wrong is your fault. I'm sure of it and you probably did it on purpose too....lol When I grow up I want my plants to look like yours... well even if I don't grow up I want my plants to look like yours.......:circle-of-love:

The 14 watt panels Canna is talking about are not very bright. The Top Led lights I run in my closet, tent and cabinet will friggin blind ya...:smokin:
I have been able to compare time lapse videos of seedlings first under the Cheap LED panels and the last two days under CFL's.
The amount of activity from the 14w LED's was very slow, having just reviewed the CFL video it's an amazing difference. The plants are just dancing lively through the time lapse under the CFL's and shooting out new leaves very quickly. That's what changed my mind on ever using the 14w LED panels for my main light in the future. :thumb:
Oh I am sure and I bet it looks cool too. You figure the whole panel is only 14 watts and spread out in that whole square and cfl is compact and I think the ones I was using are more than 14 wall each but don't quote me on that....:shhh:
Ok I am going to upload the pics of the Growology baby I took while I had her out of the box..... I'll be back......:circle-of-love:

Ok I finally fixed the date on the clone ID to 2/12 which is the day the clone was put in the Berger mix with step 1 of the Growology. She was watered today with 1/4 strength of step 2 in purified water and seems to be loving life.........:circle-of-love:
DSC036563.JPG
DSC036552.JPG
DSC036542.JPG
DSC036532.JPG
DSC036523.JPG
DSC036512.JPG
DSC036501.JPG
DSC036491.JPG
DSC036481.JPG
DSC036472.JPG

LOL, Dennise, yes I saw your lower lighting and thought it was a fine idea, especially with such tall plants. It's when we begin to think it would be a grand idea to light from below, that we run into trouble. It's just not effective and can be more harm than good. Side lighting is fine. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Did you drop that clone directly into the Berger soil? I think I'm going to skip the peat pod stage next time and put mine right into high brix soil. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom