Doc Bud Tries The G8 450 LED From Dorm Grow!

Looks awesome, always so clean and well presented...+rep:peace:

I really like the daisy chain idea it would make life alot easier so i def second that motion for sure!!!!:high-five:

Yep. It's the only way to go. You could run 2 or 3 in series from one single 220 outlet. You could also us a multi-pronged outlet, but it's not as cool.

I'm interested to see just how large they grow.

The merits of washing the buds is apparent when sulfur burns are required or prescribed. Was that cautionary or in responseto observed PM?

It was cautionary. It's moist around here for the first time in many months. This is prime PM weather.

thanks for pointing me over here Doc. Im subed.

I have a question i hope DormGrow will chime in on since you may be wondering the same thing.

I clicked on the link to the 450 and it says it compares to the grow power of an 800W hps.
I have seen references like this on other LED sites.

Anyone ever seen a 800W? I'm confused on why some of these LED companies use a wattage no one uses for comparison.

and the 450 LED only uses 240W? and the 240 LED uses 140W?
The 90w uses 90w, now that is a light that is named right.

Why cant they make things easy for us?

Damn, I hate advertising hype and BS! To claim "everybody does it so we have to, too" is just plain lame.

I rate my LED panels by the actual AC input wattage, so when I say I have a 200 watt panel, it's because it draws 200 watts from teh AC line.

A much more useful rating is lux, which is lumens per square meter. My 200 watter puts out 120,000 lumen into 1/4 of a square meter, or 7500 lux. I get this figure by comparing my light meter readings of full sun at noon (120,000 lux) to the area that my light will illuminate to the same meter reading, about 1/2 meter square, or 1/4 square meter. 120,000/4 is 7500 lux

It's a lot harder to fudge the numbers when you are specifying the actual amount of light hitting the surface.

(edit- not that I'm bashing DormGrow- I realize it's a bitterly competitive market, but can you maybe start a trend of advertising lux, and challenging the other vendors to do the same? Also, design some proper heatsinks, it's not that hard!)

Well, I can say that the plant is responding VERY favorably to it's new home. It looks perfect in every way.

Can an LED veg a really nice plant? Check. Yup. Definitely.

Now, I'm going to try my best to grow the best weed I can possibly grow. I'm going to try to get mouthwatering pics of resin dripping buds.

Keep in mind that this is the very first time I've used LED.

Well, I can say that the plant is responding VERY favorably to it's new home. It looks perfect in every way.

Can an LED veg a really nice plant? Check. Yup. Definitely.

Now, I'm going to try my best to grow the best weed I can possibly grow. I'm going to try to get mouthwatering pics of resin dripping buds.

Keep in mind that this is the very first time I've used LED.

I don't have faith in much, however, you with that nice light you have there I have faith that you will produce some pretty fantastic meds Doc. I am thrilled with the results of the method and led :) I think you might find yourself presently pleased with your results :)

I'm pretty interested to see how these flower

Things are developing nicely!

IMG_56151.JPG
IMG_56144.JPG
IMG_56134.JPG

Looking good doc. This is the led I am interested in..... Not as bushy as I am used to seeing in person..... Are you trimming them up as you go? Or are LEDs just not prime for internode spacing during vegatative stage? To be honest the bushiest plant I have ever seen has come from cfl grows.... G8 has had my interest for a while now. Because of price..... Really small footprint in comparison to what I was expecting tho.... Cross my fingers that the buds are thick and dripping wet bro. ;)

Looking good doc. This is the led I am interested in..... Not as bushy as I am used to seeing in person..... Are you trimming them up as you go? Or are LEDs just not prime for internode spacing during vegatative stage? To be honest the bushiest plant I have ever seen has come from cfl grows.... G8 has had my interest for a while now. Because of price..... Really small footprint in comparison to what I was expecting tho.... Cross my fingers that the buds are thick and dripping wet bro. ;)

it's not a bushy strain to begin with, and I prune them quite a bit.

I'm going for buds. The less bushy the better.....we always end up trimming those leaves off anyways.

More bushy with the most spread is best IMO ;) but none the less, I will be looking forward to seeing this finish.

I can already see the desert bonsai effect starting with it, Going to be sexy if it gets nice and thick

Hydroponic LED Grow Light | LED Growlights | Dorm Grow

Hi Doc Bud,
Dorm Grow LED is an online retailer that sells G8LED grow lights. The G8LED system is designed for a wide range of users - from the hobbyist grower who does small grows at home to the commercial grower who grows in a warehouse as a business. The daisy chain feature for LED grow lights has been requested before and G8LED has considered it many times but always decided against it. The daisy chain allows the grower to plug the LED grow lights to one another and then use one power cord at the end to plug into the wall. Although this is a great marketing feature for the lights, it has some serious downsides. Connecting devices like this would be ok for up to around 1100Watts total (10amp circuit). More than that would overload the user's wall outlet if too many devices were connected together. For the small grower who wants to connect a couple of the small lights it would be ok as long as they don't have other household electronics and appliances going into the same circuit. However, if a commercial grower daisy chained too many lights they could overload their circuit very quickly depending on the amperage. It is not safe and not good for the lights. The opportunity for user error is high so G8LED has always decided against the daisy chain feature. The upside is it reduces the risk of circuit overload and damage to the customers' lights. I hope this helps!

:420:

Hi Doc Bud,
Dorm Grow LED is an online retailer that sells G8LED™ grow lights. The G8LED™ system is designed for a wide range of users - from the hobbyist grower who does small grows at home to the commercial grower who grows in a warehouse as a business. The daisy chain feature for LED grow lights has been requested before and G8LED™ has considered it many times but always decided against it. The daisy chain allows the grower to plug the LED grow lights to one another and then use one power cord at the end to plug into the wall. Although this is a great marketing feature for the lights, it has some serious downsides. Connecting devices like this would be ok for up to around 1100Watts total (10amp circuit). More than that would overload the user's wall outlet if too many devices were connected together. For the small grower who wants to connect a couple of the small lights it would be ok as long as they don't have other household electronics and appliances going into the same circuit. However, if a commercial grower daisy chained too many lights they could overload their circuit very quickly depending on the amperage. It is not safe and not good for the lights. The opportunity for user error is high so G8LED™ has always decided against the daisy chain feature. The upside is it reduces the risk of circuit overload and damage to the customers' lights. I hope this helps!

:420:

Well....I'm a very serious "commercial" grower. I have warehouse space, 100 amps of 3 phase power and am professionally wired. I know enough about electricity and growing apparatus to not overload a circuit. I know a half dozen other people just like me who would also like to daisy chain 2 or 3 together.

I understand why you don't do it for sure. But I also understand that I am very capable of daisy chaining lights in a proper manner and I can't do that with your lights. It's not a big deal, really. It's just a feature.

On another note, this light is doing a fabulous job and I've got one very healthy plant happily growing under your lights! There's not an imperfect leaf on her.

Well....I'm a very serious "commercial" grower. I have warehouse space, 100 amps of 3 phase power and am professionally wired. I know enough about electricity and growing apparatus to not overload a circuit. I know a half dozen other people just like me who would also like to daisy chain 2 or 3 together.

I understand why you don't do it for sure. But I also understand that I am very capable of daisy chaining lights in a proper manner and I can't do that with your lights. It's not a big deal, really. It's just a feature.

On another note, this light is doing a fabulous job and I've got one very healthy plant happily growing under your lights! There's not an imperfect leaf on her.

Great to hear that!

:thumb:

Sorry to say but im not convince by this lighting "system" because its just that...a system. I cant see spending the money on one light then having to buy another because the one wont do veg and flower alone. Im sure doc will grow some miracle herb with the system because hes doc. He can grow a plant just by giving it a stern look lol.
Those lights arent cheap so if im gonna buy an LED (and i will) its gonna have to do both if i intend on opening my wallet for it.
My $.02

Doc,

Are you going to rotate your plants under the UFO or are they going to be stationary and we might get a glimpse of what the ones more to the side of the G8 do as compared to the ones direct under the UFO?

It would be nice to see what the G8 can do on it's own.

Doc,

Are you going to rotate your plants under the UFO or are they going to be stationary and we might get a glimpse of what the ones more to the side of the G8 do as compared to the ones direct under the UFO?

It would be nice to see what the G8 can do on it's own.

I'm following the advice of the manufacturer on this one, HH. I do rotate the plant slowly, a little bit each day. It's a very happy plant!

IMG_56294.JPG
IMG_56283.jpg
IMG_56273.JPG

Plant looks great DOC!!

Are you doing this plant "by the books" AKA kit instructions or are you doing something new/different with her??

Plant looks great DOC!!

Are you doing this plant "by the books" AKA kit instructions or are you doing something new/different with her??

Pretty much by the book, bro. I'll take this opportunity update anyone who jumps in here:

It's a G8 450 LED from DormGrow.com. Alongside is a 90 watt red spectrum UFO, also from Dormgrow.com.

I vegged under just the G8 450, and added the UFO when blooming. I'm keeping the light 22 inches above the canopy mostly, but will let them grow into the light a bit to tighten the nodes. As you can see, that's taking place:

IMG_56294.JPG

I'm in a 3 gallon pot of High Brix soil (First run kit soil to be precise) with steamed organic bone meal added to the lower half of the pot. It's my standard OG mix.

The strain I'm growing is Tahoe OG. I noticed that I put a GSC nametag in the pot, but rest assured this is Tahoe OG. I'll rectify that stoner error ASAP.

The plants are getting sprayed with normal High Brix foliar sprays weekly. The soil is fed every other watering, pretty much by the book.

This plant is exquisite even up close. The leaves enjoy the LED more than the HID if you allow that a stressed leaf is unhappy. In some ways, the product improves with a abit of stress.....but that remains to be seen. Like I said, this plant is a perfect gem. There's not a bad leaf anywhere. Stems are strong, posture is perfect.

I'm impressed with this light.

Back
Top Bottom