Doc Bud's High Brix Q&A With Pictures

For whatever it's worth:

I love breeding, and I love the effect of pollinated cannabis--and because of that, I've had to learn to deal with seeds.

After a dozen+ washed, seeded plants, I can tell you washing appears to have done ZERO to hurt my seeds. Some of these are now 2+ years old, and still germinate just fine.

If I wash too-forcefully, sometimes I'll find a seed or two floating on the top water in one or two buckets afterwards. I clean em off, and pop them in my jar with the others. Works fine.

Hope that helps!

I embarrassed to say I don't know much about breeding other than the theory, so I don't often have seeded buds.....

However, you may have noticed that tomato seeds are stored inside juicy, most tomatos.....and they don't germinate. Ditto apples, squashes and many other fruits and vegetables. This is because there are hormones in the calyx structure that contact the seed and inhibit germination.

When the seeds are separated from the fruit or herbaceous flower, these hormones cease and the seed can germinate. Does washing effect it?

I'd say NO.....because seeds don't sprout on the plant when it rains. You've got to get them out of the calyx or dry it out so it withers back and liberates the seed for that to happen.

Tomorrow, I'll take a cell phone pic of the camera I use. It's at least 10 years old. It's resin encrusted. It's set on "auto" and I just hold the button halfway down to auto focus, and then press it down more to take the picture. I load them into the computer, rotate them upright and upload.

I inspect every plant daily, so I soon have my favorite viewing angles of certain plants and that's how I choose my pictures.

Does the flash go off? Took a couple with my point and shoot instead of my phone and like this one but don't think the flash went off, light provided by a hand held led.

image19859.jpeg

I embarrassed to say I don't know much about breeding other than the theory, so I don't often have seeded buds.....

However, you may have noticed that tomato seeds are stored inside juicy, most tomatos.....and they don't germinate. Ditto apples, squashes and many other fruits and vegetables. This is because there are hormones in the calyx structure that contact the seed and inhibit germination.

When the seeds are separated from the fruit or herbaceous flower, these hormones cease and the seed can germinate. Does washing effect it?

I'd say NO.....because seeds don't sprout on the plant when it rains. You've got to get them out of the calyx or dry it out so it withers back and liberates the seed for that to happen.

I did some high brix tomatoes a couple years ago and I wanted to test the "they don't rot theory" so I put a tomato on the window sill and just let it sit there. It sat on the window sill for at least 4 months, bright red and no sign of rot. Finally sprouts started coming out of it. I must've had 5 or 6 little tomato sprouts coming out of that tomato. It never did rot but I finally pitched the tomato.

Does the flash go off? Took a couple with my point and shoot instead of my phone and like this one but don't think the flash went off, light provided by a hand held led.

image19859.jpeg

Looks like no flash to me. The flash really brings out the trichomes, light reflects/ refracts like there are diamonds in there!

I have a room for drying/curing that stay at 65 degrees and 50 to 60 rH. I start off at 50 and then raise it over a few days time. Buds can hang on the wire for 2 weeks if need be, because the climate in the room is good for that.

I just completed a dry cycle in my new tent setup. I use to dry in a back corner in the grow room, separated with a curtain to keep the light off the drying buds. The temps and air flow were too much and the buds would dry too quickly at 4 days.

I picked up a 4x4 tent, installed a charcoal filter and exhaust fan inside the tent, on the floor, that exhaust straight out the top of the tent, and a hepa filter installed on one of the bottom vents to let fresh 64*f / 50% Rh air in. The exhaust is controlled by a humidistat. After the bud wash I set it to 50%rh, with a 5% over allowance. This means the exhaust comes on at 55%rh and shuts off at 50%rh. Each day I bumped the control 1% till I hit 55%, so exhaust on at 60%rh, off at 55%rh.

I keep the air outside the tent at 64*f and 50%rh, so the tent is always able to pull in dryer air when the control demands it.

I was able to go 9 days in the tent with the Bubblegum strain, and couldn't smell a thing outside the tent, but inside the smell was profusely sweet pungency! Final manicure last night and into the jars. This morning they are holding at 64%rh inside the jars....Perfect! So happy with this new set up. Such a clean atmosphere to dry the washed buds in. These two plants were up to 16 brix on my refractometer! Yum! They loved the super Drench.

In the tent, ready to come out.
420-magazine-mobile1260903242.jpg

With flash
420-magazine-mobile1860575518.jpg

Without flash
420-magazine-mobile966072702.jpg

Next group is in position in the flower room, and I down sized the pots to the minimum recommend 7gal size, as I am pheno hunting this C99 run, and can fit more individuals in the space. They are in 2nd run soil that cooked for 6 months, and seem to be fine.

420-magazine-mobile34353547.jpg

And I'm running this OG in some 3rd run soil, haven't used any Epsoms salts with this one yet, and she is loving it.
420-magazine-mobile1766343176.jpg

The kit keeps getting better each run!

Nothing but trouble:

Resin issues with Chocorilla

Picture_001441.jpg
Picture_002433.jpg
Picture_003435.jpg

Losing all green color and resin problem on Grape Ape

Picture_004427.jpg
Picture_005414.jpg
Picture_006392.jpg
Picture_007367.jpg
Picture_008336.jpg
Picture_012282.jpg

Paki looking halfway decent.

Picture_013256.jpg
Picture_010320.jpg

Hazelnut Cream. This one is trying out for the Sativa Dominant Hybrid role:

Picture_011295.jpg

Wow Doc that Chocorilla's sun leaves are crystal coated! My goodness!

I just completed a dry cycle in my new tent setup. I use to dry in a back corner in the grow room, separated with a curtain to keep the light off the drying buds. The temps and air flow were too much and the buds would dry too quickly at 4 days.

I picked up a 4x4 tent, installed a charcoal filter and exhaust fan inside the tent, on the floor, that exhaust straight out the top of the tent, and a hepa filter installed on one of the bottom vents to let fresh 64*f / 50% Rh air in. The exhaust is controlled by a humidistat. After the bud wash I set it to 50%rh, with a 5% over allowance. This means the exhaust comes on at 55%rh and shuts off at 50%rh. Each day I bumped the control 1% till I hit 55%, so exhaust on at 60%rh, off at 55%rh.

I keep the air outside the tent at 64*f and 50%rh, so the tent is always able to pull in dryer air when the control demands it.

I was able to go 9 days in the tent with the Bubblegum strain, and couldn’t smell a thing outside the tent, but inside the smell was profusely sweet pungency! Final manicure last night and into the jars. This morning they are holding at 64%rh inside the jars....Perfect! So happy with this new set up. Such a clean atmosphere to dry the washed buds in. These two plants were up to 16 brix on my refractometer! Yum! They loved the super Drench.

In the tent, ready to come out.
420-magazine-mobile1260903242.jpg

With flash
420-magazine-mobile1860575518.jpg

Without flash
420-magazine-mobile966072702.jpg

Next group is in position in the flower room, and I down sized the pots to the minimum recommend 7gal size, as I am pheno hunting this C99 run, and can fit more individuals in the space. They are in 2nd run soil that cooked for 6 months, and seem to be fine.

420-magazine-mobile34353547.jpg

And I’m running this OG in some 3rd run soil, haven’t used any Epsoms salts with this one yet, and she is loving it.
420-magazine-mobile1766343176.jpg

The kit keeps getting better each run!

You're rockin' it! Those last two tent shots are exquisite.

On the OG.....start at double the recommended feeding and work up from there, especially the last 4 weeks of bloom. Super Drench it two or three times. It looks perfect!

Morning everyone! Could use some advice on a "leaf" issue. My two Blueberries have something going on with upper fan leaves. Both are 45 days in and about two weeks from harvest. Both started showing yellow "specks" on the upper fan leaves about a week-ten days ago. At first, I thought it was Brix burn but now I'm not sure as the edges are turning yellow and getting crispy.

In the red light of a UFO (sorry, not the best photos) the specks don't show very well. In the latter photo you can see the edges better. I'm thinking mag. def. or the leaves are beginning to die as they often do towards the end. Thought? Thx!
image19861.jpeg
image19862.jpeg

Morning everyone! Could use some advice on a "leaf" issue. My two Blueberries have something going on with upper fan leaves. Both are 45 days in and about two weeks from harvest. Both started showing yellow "specks" on the upper fan leaves about a week-ten days ago. At first, I thought it was Brix burn but now I'm not sure as the edges are turning yellow and getting crispy.

In the red light of a UFO (sorry, not the best photos) the specks don't show very well. In the latter photo you can see the edges better. I'm thinking mag. def. or the leaves are beginning to die as they often do towards the end. Thought? Thx!
image19861.jpeg
image19862.jpeg

definitely not a mag issue. it looks like a combination of 3 things:

1. age of plant/stage of growth
2. excess light for plant's metabolism. (could be a result of underfeeding)
3. high temps during lights on.....like above 83.

If they have only 3 weeks or less left....give a nice strong Transplant drench, follow up with GE and harvest.

If longer than 3 weeks....Rescue Drench.

Its "vintage" gazoo

Yup Its actually got the upgraded sim card adapter so I don't need floppy disk
to take pictures. It does still have the option to copy them :)

EDIT: Sony MAVICA 4 mp they made a later ver that recorded to CD's
I think they sell for around 50.00 now originally over a grand

Here's my secret to great pics. Lol.....this piece on full auto:
420-magazine-mobile100457481.jpg

Thanks Doc! I actually have an updated version of that camera, the power shot s95. I also have a prey nice DSLR but no appropriate lens. Anyways, gonna try and get better pics going forward.

How the heck do you get those great pics using a flash and the background is dark?

Darken the room ( not totally) and use flash... gives a nice dark background

Thanks Doc! I actually have an updated version of that camera, the power shot s95. I also have a prey nice DSLR but no appropriate lens. Anyways, gonna try and get better pics going forward.

How the heck do you get those great pics using a flash and the background is dark?

He said once he uses a Head Lamp if I remember correctly

Darken the room ( not totally) and use flash... gives a nice dark background

I tried that but the flash lights up the entire tent, maybe that's the problem that I'm shooting in a tent....?

He said once he uses a Head Lamp if I remember correctly

I have a hand held LED light and tried pointing it at plants and away.

Yes he did, and he covers it with his hand when he takes the shot

I basically tried that but will keep trying. Thanks you guys for the replies! :passitleft:

Back
Top Bottom