Dread's 400w Tent

re: Dread's 400w Tent

Hey Dread.Question for you brotha.Last time I was around there was controversy about defoliation.Some of these results I'm seeing are fabulous.Is this the norm now?

Hey Dread.Question for you brotha.Last time I was around there was controversy about defoliation.Some of these results I'm seeing are fabulous.Is this the norm now?

It is being used a lot more. The results are seaming to be strain dependent but I can say I like it so far on the strains I have tried it on. The exile in my second grow is looking great. Feel free to stop by and check it out.

What up Minus. Defoliation remains controversial, it just seems as if more people are trying it these days.

I was checking out DocBud's new journal, and iI had to stop and question my own beliefs on defoliation. As we all know, he is the king of high brix cannabis cultivation. Well, he defoliated one of his high brix plants. Guess what happened? The yield increased as expected, but the brix level in that plant was much lower than the plants which had been left alone. This may have something to do with the fact that high brix growing involves a great deal of foliar feeding. Without foliage, the effectiveness of foliar feeding and achieving a high brix becomes difficult. While I may not grow high brix, this knowledge translates right over to what I'm doing. Stripping a plant of it's leaves may allow more light penetration and increase yield, but in turn the plant's overall health will suffer, thus effecting the quality of medicine produced. /rant

I think I am going to tone down the way I do my trimming. No more aggressive defols for my girls. From what I can gather, if you are looking for an increase in yield (and who isn't?), go for it. If you are only concerned with quality, leave 'em be.

What up Minus. Defoliation remains controversial, it just seems as if more people are trying it these days.

I was checking out DocBud's new journal, and iI had to stop and question my own beliefs on defoliation. As we all know, he is the king of high brix cannabis cultivation. Well, he defoliated one of his high brix plants. Guess what happened? The yield increased as expected, but the brix level in that plant was much lower than the plants which had been left alone. This may have something to do with the fact that high brix growing involves a great deal of foliar feeding. Without foliage, the effectiveness of foliar feeding and achieving a high brix becomes difficult. While I may not grow high brix, this knowledge translates right over to what I'm doing. Stripping a plant of it's leaves may allow more light penetration and increase yield, but in turn the plant's overall health will suffer, thus effecting the quality of medicine produced. /rant

I think I am going to tone down the way I do my trimming. No more aggressive defols for my girls. From what I can gather, if you are looking for an increase in yield (and who isn't?), go for it. If you are only concerned with quality, leave 'em be.

I've only defolitated once. I was very, very careful to follow along with Bassman's instructions. Indeed, I got a very large yield from the two plants that were defoliated. We're talking like an extra oz per plant.

However, those two plants also had a bit of mite damage...not bad, but more than the others. (i never spray for them....no need when brix is up). In a blind smoke test, you could easily pick out which was high brix. Even a first time smoker could taste the difference.

What I'm finding is that each strain will defoliate itself when they're fed right. I'm at that stage in one tray, with fan leaves yellowing and dropping off.

In order to get light to the bud sites, I top them and then spread them open with stakes, if need be.

Now, having said all that, I'm of the OPINION (we all have 'em) that defoliation is a GREAT idea in hydro. No microbes to feed, no need for root exudates....plants are taking up all nutrition through the roots as salts.....why not go for maximum yield? I don't think the quality of the produce would suffer at all in hydro.

The flush is on...

Flo
Day 107, Day 57 Bloom

03884.JPG

05444.JPG

07125.JPG

07722.JPG

09214.JPG

Day 118, Day 57 Bloom

10528.JPG

113102.JPG

12724.JPG

12922.JPG

Day 118, Day 57 Bloom

13320.JPG

13519.JPG

14179.JPG

14619.JPG

Day 112, Day 57 Bloom

020243.JPG

03599.JPG

027152.JPG

:peace:

I've only defolitated once. I was very, very careful to follow along with Bassman's instructions. Indeed, I got a very large yield from the two plants that were defoliated. We're talking like an extra oz per plant.

However, those two plants also had a bit of mite damage...not bad, but more than the others. (i never spray for them....no need when brix is up). In a blind smoke test, you could easily pick out which was high brix. Even a first time smoker could taste the difference.

What I'm finding is that each strain will defoliate itself when they're fed right. I'm at that stage in one tray, with fan leaves yellowing and dropping off.

In order to get light to the bud sites, I top them and then spread them open with stakes, if need be.

Now, having said all that, I'm of the OPINION (we all have 'em) that defoliation is a GREAT idea in hydro. No microbes to feed, no need for root exudates....plants are taking up all nutrition through the roots as salts.....why not go for maximum yield? I don't think the quality of the produce would suffer at all in hydro.

Thanks for the insight Doc. It's a pleasure having you by the journal.

That's something else, the fact that defoliation made such a difference in the quality of produce. I will keep doing some training and trimming here and there, but once I step into high brix territory, its gonna be hands off...

Sexy!

Thanks for the insight Doc. It's a pleasure having you by the journal.

That's something else, the fact that defoliation made such a difference in the quality of produce. I will keep doing some training and trimming here and there, but once I step into high brix territory, its gonna be hands off...
Well, I don't know about hands off....but definitely not extreme defoliation. I take everything but the top 3 nodes on some strains, top 5 on others. But I do this when all the new growth from stretch is happening and I take off the branches, not just the leaves.

The fan leaves are perfect for foliar feeding, because you spray them without getting the buds wet!

Anyhow, your grow is doing great. I just like cruising around and seeing what's up!

Looking good Dread man, looks like you are getting close to being able to smoke them bitches.......... Hope all the crowds up there arent tracking up all the good stuff!!! I was at A-Basin yesterday, they had a pretty good avalanche that grabbed a bunch of peeps, all are ok...
Jon, if you have the right environment below the canopy (humid/shade) then the roots will bust out of the pots and keep going. It won't air prune in those conditions, but will grow right through the pot, Specially if you are growing in coco, the roots just go ballistic.... I have had roots from one plant try and get into its neighbors pot! I make sure I have enough air flow low, and try to get some light down low so that they will air prune..... Transplanting is a bitch, but if you have to do it, you can still shave the roots when you move to a bigger bag.....just needs a little more recovery time......... I have not had a plant get root bound in these pots yet, using soil that is...

Putting on some weight bro good luck

TG, X, Jon, Irie, thanks dudes... Means alot coming from the likes of you guys.

Wildbill, welcome to the journal and thanks for the compliments.

Ketema, I appreciate it bro. Thanks for stopin' by.

Lady #3 has been chopped! I was checking trics on all the remaining girls and #3 had a ton of ambers... I let her go a bit too long to be honest. The flo is just starting to amber as well as #4. They will be coming down this week, followed by #5 next week.

Harvest photos to come, stay tuned...

:peace:

quick question for ya bro, have you had any issues with roots growing throught the bags? I transplanted maybe a week ago and already they are starting to come through.I guess theres not much I can do about it now, transplanting out of these bags is pretty much out of the question.Hopefully it doesnt hurt them to much.

Never had that problem man... The roots never came out of the bags. I would just go for it... Like Irie said, just trim em if you absolutely have to. Good luck bro, I'll be checkin in with ya from time to time.

These three remaining plants are coming down this week. Time for round two. The veggers are patiently waiting their turn under the HID...

Flo
Day 114, Day 64 Bloom

16214.JPG

17148.JPG

17313.JPG

19821.JPG

Harvested on Day 59 Bloom

Pre-harvest:

0041041.JPG

005986.JPG

008747.JPG

Tonight: