Extreme frustration

Grandma Weedstein

So I bit the bullet and spent more than $300 building a hoophouse to protect my crop from the rain after a bud rot outbreak last year.

Seemed to be working fine until today, where several of my best colas were afflicted with bud rot out of nowhere. They were fine yesterday. I had to cut probably a half ounce but will probably find more tomorrow.

So even though my hoophouse was working fine and the plants were dry as fuck during the heaviest rainstorms, the air moisture still managed to fuck them up.

I feel like I wasted the $300 but know it would have been worse with no cover. I’m annoyed as hell the varieties I have been breeding have proven so weak though. I suppose this is what I should expect, since the season has basically gone off without a hitch until now.

In any case, not sure there’s a question here other than: Am I dumb for not realizing the damage simple air moisture will cause? I figured my bud rot problems of the past were entirely due to rain falling directly on the flower. Now I realize I may be fucked despite the new hoophouse that I perhaps shouldn’t have spent so much time and money on.

Yup. I hear ya. I’ve lost a ton of great bud due to bud rot as well. Raining here as well, I have them covered outside with 4 fans on them and they still got bud rot. Cut off two more cola tops today. :(

Had to harvest 90% of one plant last week before it took it all. Hoping the remainder can finish the rest of the four weeks. Dry days ahead so I hope I can make it.

Best of luck.

Sorry to hear it grandma. Any idea of the RH inside the hoop? Fans?
there’s a few fungicide sprays for botrytis. Like mycostop.
I’ll be adding that to the schedule next year. Lost so much. Thanks.

I've lost some plants to bud rot. I feel your frustration! I'm really fed up with the pests (caterpillars) which have caused most of the damage. Then some gorgeous buds were growing but were so dense. Sure enough...bud rot. I'll be starting an indoor grow to keep me busy during the winter. Hopefully I can control that environment better.

Yup. I hear ya. I’ve lost a ton of great bud due to bud rot as well. Raining here as well, I have them covered outside with 4 fans on them and they still got bud rot. Cut off two more cola tops today. :(

Had to harvest 90% of one plant last week before it took it all. Hoping the remainder can finish the rest of the four weeks. Dry days ahead so I hope I can make it.

Best of luck.
I've lost some plants to bud rot. I feel your frustration! I'm really fed up with the pests (caterpillars) which have caused most of the damage. Then some gorgeous buds were growing but were so dense. Sure enough...bud rot. I'll be starting an indoor grow to keep me busy during the winter. Hopefully I can control that environment better.

Thanks guys, I feel better remembering we all deal with this shit, LOL. I just felt so good about the crop this year and then I saw that rot and my heart sank.

It’s hard not to take it personally, like a failure. But it’s just agriculture and that’s mother nature...

try some crab meal in your soil next time, also if inside look for condensation droplets ( that is what caught me out )

its breaks my heart when i read about ROT as ive seen it on my own

if you want to make caps from some bud check my link below it is fool proof :)

If I rremember correctly you could seal up and burn some sulphur . That should do the trick. Just not sure on the timing of the burn but I think it.Can be done anytime. I've used it before with great results. Grow resistant strains now days so have not seen rot in years even when growing through winter and my plants being wet almost every morning. Sorry to hear you lost so much.

So it was more of a mold incubator than a solution that worked. It should've worked. Was there a predominant pattern to the affected plants? Like the ones on the east side had more shade longer in the morning, were they the heaviest hit or first to go?

Your hoophouse will pay dividends by this time next year, 420%. Take care overwintering it, if you get snow where you are at. You've already received a lot of great advice. If you can and haven't done so, roll up the bottom few feet to let more airflow in from the sides. Others have mentioned a good defoliation to allow for more airflow. A fan above the canopy in the center will help the dead spot in the middle of the hoophouse as well.

If I rremember correctly you could seal up and burn some sulphur . That should do the trick. Just not sure on the timing of the burn but I think it.Can be done anytime. I've used it before with great results. Grow resistant strains now days so have not seen rot in years even when growing through winter and my plants being wet almost every morning. Sorry to hear you lost so much.
Hi Lerugged, what mold resistant strains and from what breeder are you finding success with?
P.S. That was a beauty you grew for POTM.

Hi Lerugged, what mold resistant strains and from what breeder are you finding success with?
P.S. That was a beauty you grew for POTM.
Thanks and hi Stunger. I breed land race sativa from Africa. Specifically the Durban poisons and other varieties from that area are pretty resistant. They grow in very humid conditions. :)

I just felt so good about the crop this year and then I saw that rot and my heart sank.

It’s hard not to take it personally, like a failure. But it’s just agriculture and that’s mother nature...

That is literally EXACTLY how I have felt about last season when I lost EVERYTHING and this season where I have lost a hefty amount of buds. I recently had to have to surgery on both my hands. I have not been able to harvest yet. Can't even close scissors. I will be taking down everything that is salvageable today, do some bud washing with h2o2, and do some curing in the fridge. I'll likely use all of it for infusions. I still blame myself for having so much going on in my mind and not being stricter with my pest management. I need a better plan next year and stick to it. I am half tempted to cover the garden with insect netting. I am so sick and tired of the damn cabbage moths and whatever else loves my buds. It is truly heart breaking to see our beautiful flowers slowly die off because of mold or pests.

Starting my indoor garden this weekend!

That is literally EXACTLY how I have felt about last season when I lost EVERYTHING and this season where I have lost a hefty amount of buds. I recently had to have to surgery on both my hands. I have not been able to harvest yet. Can't even close scissors. I will be taking down everything that is salvageable today, do some bud washing with h2o2, and do some curing in the fridge. I'll likely use all of it for infusions. I still blame myself for having so much going on in my mind and not being stricter with my pest management. I need a better plan next year and stick to it. I am half tempted to cover the garden with insect netting. I am so sick and tired of the damn cabbage moths and whatever else loves my buds. It is truly heart breaking to see our beautiful flowers slowly die off because of mold or pests.

Starting my indoor garden this weekend!
I do some indoor and unfortunately it’s got its own issues. Spider mites seem more likely to be a problem indoor, also I’ve had trouble getting the air flow like I want it.

Not to mention the yields outdoors are just huge, if nature doesn’t wreck them.

I learned ad hoc spraying just didn't cut it.
Yeah...that was my biggest problem. I would spray some BT but I was not consistent enough. By the time I got around to spraying again, some had probably already hatched and worked their way into the buds where they were protected from the spray. I wasn't spraying the buds heavily, only the foliage. Next year, I will be spraying BT every 5 days without fail! So pissed at myself.

Back
Top Bottom