First Grow - 4x4 - 1000W MH/HPS - DWC

Hey Dan, thanks for dropping in on my humble start of a grow here. Let me know if you have any questions regarding the grow/set-up if you need help when the time comes. To answer your question; multiple things influenced my decision for autos for my first grow 1) the ruderalis in auto make is pretty resilient to ph/temp/humidity mess ups, and I was concerned on getting my environment perfect before spending lots of time on a few plants, then something happens and I am out of not only money but lots of time too. 2) Photos seem great to me, and I am definitely going to get my hands into them at some point,( probably when i can invest in a LED veg tent :p) however, I really wanted a fast crop to have also, the whole point of this is so I dont have to buy it anymore for my personal use.

Thanks for your detailed answer.

So, what I understand is that the auto flowers is more resilient and ripens faster. Is that right?

From what I understand about DWC, there is no reservoir, just the pot its growing in, right? I assume someone could add a reservoir.

The reason I mention this is because you seem to spend a LOT of time tending your garden, measuring and adjusting nutrients and ph.
If there was a reservoir attached that circulated through the root mass, that would give you a bigger "buffer" and perhaps then less need to adjust so often.

My last grow was 20+ years ago and I had a huge reservoir (plastic horse trough) servicing a big SOG system. From the standpoint of maintaining the nutrient systems, it was pretty easy.

I'd be happy to hear your views on a reservoir.

So, what I understand is that the auto flowers is more resilient and ripens faster. Is that right?

From what I understand about DWC, there is no reservoir, just the pot its growing in, right? I assume someone could add a reservoir.

The reason I mention this is because you seem to spend a LOT of time tending your garden, measuring and adjusting nutrients and ph.
If there was a reservoir attached that circulated through the root mass, that would give you a bigger "buffer" and perhaps then less need to adjust so often.

My last grow was 20+ years ago and I had a huge reservoir (plastic horse trough) servicing a big SOG system. From the standpoint of maintaining the nutrient systems, it was pretty easy.

First, remember I am no expert by any means, but this is information I have found in my research..

Yes, autos are more resilient due to their Ruderalis genetics. They do also grow from seed to harvest in about 10 weeks give or take.

DWC is just the buckets-which acts as your reservoir. A RDWC is were all the buckets are hooked up to a BIGGER reservoir and the water/Nutes circulate through each bucket and then back to the Rez. Keep in mind tho...if you are growing more than one type of strain...you cannot give special treatment to one plant..they are all fed/water the same.

I truly do not spend much time tending my garden...maybe a little but I am SUPER OCD and a little obsessive when I get into something I enjoy...I really enjoy this haha. I'd say 15mins in the morning and 15-20mins in the evening. I check the pH (which has not moved in days due to the PH balancing Nutes I am using now) and ppms twice daily. No matter what, using DWC or RDWC it is good practice to check them this much.

It is true, bigger the Rez...less there is in fluctuation of your Rez. However, if the plant gets sick or you get nute burn...that's a lot of water and expensive Nutes to dump.

Hope this helps, let me know if you got more questions buddy.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

It is also worth noting that solid results can be achieved in DWC with a low level of maintenance. If you read through my grow journal, I really only spent about 20 mins a week on average adjusting pH and nutes (on Saturday mornings) and just topped them off with water every 3rd day or so just like you would with soil. Also, I only did 2 full water changes throughout the grow(1 in veg and the other 2 days before harvest). The roots were stained amber from the nutes by the end (see harvest pics) but the plants still performed extremely well throughout the entire growth cycle.

You are 100% correct about maintenance being easier from a central reservoir, so even though this grow was "low maintenance" I will be using RDWC for grow #2 for the exact reasons you mentioned above. :thumb:

:Namaste:

Those roots look extremely healthy and I wouldnt change a thing. Let the plants talk to you.

Thanks Freakbudz, i swear they almost doubled after giving them that voodoo juice yesterday.

I am not gonna change a thing except, switch to HPS in a week or two (a few days after they start preflowering); and add flowering nutes (big bud, and maybe some other shit depends on the budget). Also, will attempt to LST to get as much light to the bud sites as possible. Other than that, gonna keep on keeping on.

Hmmmm very educational discussion...

From what I have learned from reading you guys here, and others elsewhere, is that for our favourite plant to grow well, it needs, at root level, a proper balance of both water/nutrients and air/oxygen.

And all the different methods of growing try to achieve that balance. Soil needs to be loose and friable, growing medium/rocks etc, the same, nutrient film technique has exposed roots, DWC also, with added air/oxygen dissolved by the bubbler.

My last system was a SOG, single plant per mesh cup, on a flood and drain table that allowed the roots to spread out between plants.
I had several lights all connected to the same flowering reservoir nutrient tank which fed the ladies right up to harvest. I didn't know about flushing the plants... if I had, the flood and drain system would have been a bit more complex.

I'm still designing my future system, so I'm still open on how its all gonna work. Its going to be pretty simple because this time around I'm looking at only 5' by 5', and probably just one or two plants in a scrog. With that extensive branch network, I'm thinking that a rooting medium of some sort would be useful, just to help hold up the plant.

Anyhow, sorry to go on and on, (Thanks, Blue Dreams), I'll be following this and many other threads, and hope to start a grow journal of my own soon.

First, remember I am no expert by any means, but this is information I have found in my research..

Yes, autos are more resilient due to their Ruderalis genetics. They do also grow from seed to harvest in about 10 weeks give or take.

Hope this helps, let me know if you got more questions buddy.

Ha! Lotsa questions...

Ok you mentioned that autos are more resilient and finish in 10 weeks or so. That sounds great! That sounds to me like 4 - 5 crops per year.

So, what are the disadvantages of using an autoflower? Is it ALL good?

I am an old fart and reluctant to change, so I tend to prefer the photo period flowering strains, but I'm certainly willing to learn.

How does the yield from an auto compare to a photo? I realise that would be largely dependant on strain and how its raised, but do you have general feeling for the yields?

Stop me when I ask too many questions.

Hmmmm very educational discussion...

From what I have learned from reading you guys here, and others elsewhere, is that for our favourite plant to grow well, it needs, at root level, a proper balance of both water/nutrients and air/oxygen.

And all the different methods of growing try to achieve that balance. Soil needs to be loose and friable, growing medium/rocks etc, the same, nutrient film technique has exposed roots, DWC also, with added air/oxygen dissolved by the bubbler.

My last system was a SOG, single plant per mesh cup, on a flood and drain table that allowed the roots to spread out between plants.
I had several lights all connected to the same flowering reservoir nutrient tank which fed the ladies right up to harvest. I didn't know about flushing the plants... if I had, the flood and drain system would have been a bit more complex.

I'm still designing my future system, so I'm still open on how its all gonna work. Its going to be pretty simple because this time around I'm looking at only 5' by 5', and probably just one or two plants in a scrog. With that extensive branch network, I'm thinking that a rooting medium of some sort would be useful, just to help hold up the plant.

Anyhow, sorry to go on and on, (Thanks, Blue Dreams), I'll be following this and many other threads, and hope to start a grow journal of my own soon.

Sounds like you are learning lots on good information here =). That is awesome! That is what :420: is all about! Let us know what you decide on using for this go around. 5x5 is a good amount of space, with a 1000w you would be getting some nice buds.

Ha! Lotsa questions...

Ok you mentioned that autos are more resilient and finish in 10 weeks or so. That sounds great! That sounds to me like 4 - 5 crops per year.

So, what are the disadvantages of using an autoflower? Is it ALL good?

I am an old fart and reluctant to change, so I tend to prefer the photo period flowering strains, but I'm certainly willing to learn.

How does the yield from an auto compare to a photo? I realise that would be largely dependant on strain and how its raised, but do you have general feeling for the yields?

Stop me when I ask too many questions.

Ask as many questions as you want bud, here to help the best I can. Of course there are disadvantages of using autoflowers vs photos. Autos can turn hermaphroditic...which means they are pistils/buds and POLLEN SACS, and it can happen a week before harvest, so that is something to always keep an eye on. Also, autos can not be overstressed, or they start flowering, so to much topping and they will supposedly start to flower. The yields are traditionally smaller from photos, but you can get a few zips off of a single plants, there are people here who get 4-6oz per auto, not bad seeing how it takes 1/3rd of the time to grow. Yield rest more on your set-up and light wattage, but genetics do play a part. I would like to start doing a big photo plant, with 1 or 2 autos on the side; that way I always have some greenery to medicate on.

The main reason I picked autos was for a faster product, and if I did mess up at some point and every died, I was not out months of time...only weeks. Once I have a few successful auto grows i'll start to dabble with photos also. Keep in mind, from what I have seen, photos and autos are very different plants...this is were individual reservoirs/buckets will be essential.

11/24 UPDATE:

Here is a update on the ladies. I added z7(1.3ml) last night on 11/23. This morning I added 5ml of M,G,B to WWxBB and F&V only, the GSC ppm had not gone down much so only added water and 1ml of Cal/Mag. I like to give the babies their food a few hours before lights out, I have read they uptake most of their nutes/water during this time to get ready to grow when lights come back on.

Anyways...I have not had to adjust the PH at ALL for the last 4-5 days. seems that the PH perfect advanced nutrient products are living up to the hype so far.

GSC
DSCN041915.JPG
DSCN042014.JPG
DSCN042117.JPG

WWxBB
DSCN042216.JPG
DSCN042317.JPG
DSCN042416.JPG
DSCN042515.JPG
DSCN042613.JPG

F&V
DSCN042721.JPG
DSCN042815.JPG
DSCN043015.JPG

DSCN042918.JPG

Went ahead and did some LST to the WWxBB today. What do y'all think? It is my first time LSTing so let me know what I can change please.

DSCN04314.JPG

DSCN043217.JPG

I plan on getting rid of some of the big fan leaves here eventually, but i want them for added photosynthesis for these 1-2weeks left of veg/preflower.

The F&V is showing some signs of nute burn on some of the newer leaves, so I am gonna back off her for a bit. GSC sure is bouncing back from her tantrum of deficiency she was having. GSC will get LSTed tomorrow evening. F&V on Sunday/Monday. FULL UPDATE will be on Sunday/Monday.

Nice job on the LST, you did a great job of "opening" the center of the plant and evenly distributing growth~ :goodjob:

Thanks Frizz, I thought it looked good but wanted to check with all the experts on here :p.

BTW, your grow sure did turn out beautiful Frizz, if mine turns out even close to that good I will be beyond happy. Well done! Mad Reps! Can't wait to see your next one with those 4 GSC's, i'm sure you'll get those 2 lbs no prob =P. :Namaste:

Thanks Frizz, I thought it looked good but wanted to check with all the experts on here :p.

BTW, your grow sure did turn out beautiful Frizz, if mine turns out even close to that good I will be beyond happy. Well done! Mad Reps! Can't wait to see your next one with those 4 GSC's, i'm sure you'll get those 2 lbs no prob =P. :Namaste:

Why thank you very much!! :circle-of-love: I am confident based on what I have seen so far that you will achieve the numbers you desire as well! I just made the first post for the GSC's, it is now linked in my sig if you want to check it out!

Why thank you very much!! :circle-of-love: I am confident based on what I have seen so far that you will achieve the numbers you desire as well! I just made the first post for the GSC's, it is now linked in my sig if you want to check it out!

Heck yah I'd love to check it out! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom