First Grow, Ever: Durban Poison Organic Soil 5 Gallon Pots 7 Weeks Veg

GrowGirl63

Hello,

This is my first grow, ever! I have 6 Durban Poison and 2 plants I call GYOF (GYO Seedbank Freebies). They are 7 weeks into veg. I'm getting ready to put the first layer of netting down in a couple of days. My soil is my own recipe that I made completely from 100% organic components. Since I have never done this before I would love some advice on how they look to you.

Attachments

• DSC_0835.JPG
    DSC_0835.JPG
    730.9 KB · Views: 524
  • DSC_0836.JPG
    DSC_0836.JPG
    615.9 KB · Views: 312
  • DSC_0837.JPG
    DSC_0837.JPG
    501.2 KB · Views: 328
Looks like everything is going well for you. You’re gonna have a nice scrog when finished. They’re definitely ready to go.

Looks like everything is going well for you. You’re gonna have a nice scrog when finished. They’re definitely ready to go.

Thank you. I appreciate the feedback. I have been very very lucky up to this point for my very first grow.

Looking good there.

Tell us about your grow please?

Like how old - in VEG - lighting - topping etc? Soil mix....

We do this here a lot.

I grow organic no-till so I'm like a soil snob. Don't mess with my worms... lol.

Looking great - not really sure you need to fence them in with rope but it would maybe with what you wanna accomplish.

You trying to tame those bushes before they get outta hand?? It's an art!

I've been growing a Durban x Acapulco Gold cross for a while now (years).
Sativa will getcha - gotta be ready.

Hello,

This is my first grow, ever! I have 6 Durban Poison and 2 plants I call GYOF (GYO Seedbank Freebies). They are 7 weeks into veg. I'm getting ready to put the first layer of netting down in a couple of days. My soil is my own recipe that I made completely from 100% organic components. Since I have never done this before I would love some advice on how they look to you.

Hello again... Here is the scoop for my first grow.....

The picture with the full tent has 6 Durban Poison and 2 GYOF plants at 7 weeks of veg. I will change the light setting from 18/6 to 12/12 in the next week or so.

The picture with the multiple sized plants has 2 Shark Auto, 2 Tangerine Dream Auto at 3 weeks old, 1 Blueberry Cheesecake, 1 Cheese, 1 Girl Scout Cookies, 1 Northern Lights at 2 weeks old.

2 - 4 x 4 Apollo Grow Tents
2 - 600 W LED Lights - 1 per tent for Veg generic lights
2 - 1200 W LED KINGLED Lights - 1 per tent for Flower
Multiple fans in each tent
Both tents are carbon filtered with exhaust

My soil is a blend of the following items:

1/4 Peat moss
1/4 Compost - appropriately aged
1/4 Rice hulls
1/4 Worm castings
2 bags Happy Frog Ocean Forest

The above totaled 10.2 cu ft of soil. To this I added the following items (per sq ft)

1/2 C Kelp Meal (5 cups)
1/2 C Crab Meal (5 cups)
2 C Azomite (20 cups)
1 C Gypsum ( 10 cups)
1 C Oyster Shells (10 cups)
1 C Bone Meal (10 cups)
1 T Mycorrhizae (10 Tbsp)
Mix into soil. Fill pots. Water with URB solution completely wetting soil and mixing it in prior to planting seedling.

My feed cycle is Feed, Feed, Water as soil indicates need. Right now I am giving them 0.5 gallon each every 2 days. My food and water is all pH at 6.2 to 6.8. I always put 1 t of Liquid Seaweed in the water.

Feed is:
1 gallon water
2 T URB (after initial dose I continue to give 1 T URB per gallon)
1 T Mother Earth Sugar Load Heavy Brix Molasses
1/4 t Myccorhizae
1 t Seaweed
I have had zero issues so far but expect something to happen at some point. This is a great experiment and I'm having a blast. The plants are looking good so far.

Hello again... Here is the scoop.....

2 - 4 x 4 Apollo Grow Tents
2 - 600 W LED Lights - 1 per tent for Veg
2 - 1200 W LED KINGLED Lights - 1 per tent for Flower
Multiple fans
Both tents are carbon filtered with exhaust

My soil is a blend of the following items:

1/4 Peat moss
1/4 Compost - appropriately aged
1/4 Rice hulls
1/4 Worm castings
This totaled 10.2 cu ft of soil. To this I added the following items (per sq ft)
1/2 C Kelp Meal (5 cups)
1/2 C Crab Meal (5 cups)
2 C Azomite

to this I added:
wow, that some hot blend... have you cooked this at all or are you planning on using this as it is right away? So no real soil in this at all... I think my toes are burning just reading about it! Have you used this before? How did it go? How did you manage it pH wise... I imagine it is a bit acidic?

Looking good there.

Tell us about your grow please?

Like how old - in VEG - lighting - topping etc? Soil mix....

We do this here a lot.

I grow organic no-till so I'm like a soil snob. Don't mess with my worms... lol.

Looking great - not really sure you need to fence them in with rope but it would maybe with what you wanna accomplish.

You trying to tame those bushes before they get outta hand?? It's an art!

I've been growing a Durban x Acapulco Gold cross for a while now (years).
Sativa will getcha - gotta be ready.

I'm glad you are a soil snob as I am too. Not sure I can get them watered with nets on them. Will they be ok the way they are?

wow, that some hot blend... have you cooked this at all or are you planning on using this as it is right away? So no real soil in this at all... I think my toes are burning just reading about it! Have you used this before? How did it go? How did you manage it pH wise... I imagine it is a bit acidic?

I had to go back and edit the post. I forgot to add the two bags of Happy Frog Ocean Forest soil. Thanks for the catch. Here are my photos today...

Attachments

• DSC_0841.JPG
    DSC_0841.JPG
    663.3 KB · Views: 180
  • DSC_0847.JPG
    DSC_0847.JPG
    630.5 KB · Views: 177
  • DSC_0849.JPG
    DSC_0849.JPG
    663.2 KB · Views: 170
  • DSC_0850.JPG
    DSC_0850.JPG
    601.8 KB · Views: 180
  • DSC_0851.JPG
    DSC_0851.JPG
    556.7 KB · Views: 189
  • DSC_0853.JPG
    DSC_0853.JPG
    569.1 KB · Views: 188
  • DSC_0854.JPG
    DSC_0854.JPG
    491.6 KB · Views: 198
I had to go back and edit the post. I forgot to add the two bags of Happy Frog Ocean Forest soil. Thanks for the catch. Here are my photos today...
THank you! lol... i was freaking out, like how in the world is she making those beautiful plants in that mix?? So, did you let this cook for a month or head right into it? Nitrogen access in veg is easy, but I am concerned what happens with the slower to release minerals in the azomite and the other components once flowering starts and the needs are phosphorus and calcium and potassium. I made the mistake of heading right into a grow without cooking for at least a month and I almost killed my crop as soon as I flipped to flower... the slow yellow death started at the bottom and was creeping up fast. I had to scramble and get some organic nutes in there fast, and it was not till the next grow when the soil started to be capable of supplying these nutrients without additional amendments.

Emilea,

Yes, I let the soil cook for about 2 months beforehand. I wish I had the guts to start journal-ling or posting on here earlier. I will be surprised if the entire grow goes this well without a hitch. At least now if I see a problem I can post pictures and ask for help. Except for my science and research background I am totally winging it here and appreciate the feedback. Thank you for catching the soil.

Emilea,

Yes, I let the soil cook for about 2 months beforehand. I wish I had the guts to start journal-ling or posting on here earlier. I will be surprised if the entire grow goes this well without a hitch. At least now if I see a problem I can post pictures and ask for help. Except for my science and research background I am totally winging it here and appreciate the feedback. Thank you for catching the soil.
It sounds like we are a lot alike... research and science background here too. Great to meet you! This is going to be fun to watch!

One question, why do you use mycorrhizal fungi for feeding?

wow, that's a lot of weed for a first time run..... I see you have a lot of auto flower .... are any feminized?

I'm so sorry... Another detail I am going to learn to add to the info...

All of the seeds are feminized. As far as a lot of weed for a first time run... Heck Yes. It's kinda freaking me out. I didn't know how well they would do and just put the seeds in the ground. Germination rate was excellent.

Back
Top Bottom