GiGaBaNE's 3rd & Final Journal - At Least Until I Change Country

both correct =D.
I know its hardly revolutionary, but its not something that is spoken of around these parts.

ideally, im working on a blend of materials to greatly improve the efficacy of this system as its very fiddly. the rooting hormone was just a bonus to try and speed things up, but the plants know to put out roots in soil without my help ;)

but it would be nice if i could find a blend that had an end consistency like blutack so you could just wrap it round the stem and be done.

i suspect a mixture of weak nutes (maybe just a tiny biit of N as a reward for forming roots) soil base of some kind wit a bit of crushed vermiculite in there to help retain moisture without dripping and then finally something like a bit of soft wax to hold it all together.

in theory, you would just pull off a chunk of this 'green tack', wrap it around a stem and leave it alone till you see roots pop through the side, then snip and plant, no propagator needed and possible no losses on the way =D

Maybe use a piece of tight filled with your usual medium and tie it over the exposed piece after painting with Clonex? This is also not a revolutionary idea. It is easy to keep moist and you can support it on a cotton reel if necessary.

A very good plan, it would save any extra cloning equipment or space to boot!

lol think i have a few of them lying round, not sure my plants would appreciate their 2nd hand use :rofl:

he said second hand! hea hea

i am interested in that cloning method, i got a book on it as well, i mentioned it in my journal a few months back, its basically rooting a clone on the plant while the plant is still growing, its suppose to work well but takes a while to get right, its good for cloning plants that are very hard to clone, as soon as you have got enough root growth you just chop it off the plant, the best method if this i came across is to cut 2 cuts in the stem you want to clone, then peel the outside layer of the plant off, so the cuts you make run all around the branch your cloning making a full circle, then the other you do about 1cm below, then peel off the outer layer, this can be tricky, leaving the inner layer intact so the plant can still send nutes to the leaves and the transfer of light still works, then you cover this bit you peeled the skin off with rooting gel or powder then cover it with something like cling film and soil so the roots have something to grow in, you can do it without soil but cant remember what it said in the book, i have yet to try this as my clones take and grow, but if i had a difficult clone then id try this method, but for now im ok with the method im using, but id be interested in watching how that method works, ive never seen it done so would love to see how it turns out, its meant to give 100% cloning,

i am interested in that cloning method, i got a book on it as well, i mentioned it in my journal a few months back, its basically rooting a clone on the plant while the plant is still growing, its suppose to work well but takes a while to get right, its good for cloning plants that are very hard to clone, as soon as you have got enough root growth you just chop it off the plant, the best method if this i came across is to cut 2 cuts in the stem you want to clone, then peel the outside layer of the plant off, so the cuts you make run all around the branch your cloning making a full circle, then the other you do about 1cm below, then peel off the outer layer, this can be tricky, leaving the inner layer intact so the plant can still send nutes to the leaves and the transfer of light still works, then you cover this bit you peeled the skin off with rooting gel or powder then cover it with something like cling film and soil so the roots have something to grow in, you can do it without soil but cant remember what it said in the book, i have yet to try this as my clones take and grow, but if i had a difficult clone then id try this method, but for now im ok with the method im using, but id be interested in watching how that method works, ive never seen it done so would love to see how it turns out, its meant to give 100% cloning,

im trying 2 methods atm, 1st is soil wrapped in a peat pot, 2nd is just tissue paper wrapped round a few times and kept wet.

will see how well it works as i plan to combine this method of cloning with topping= clone farm with no mothers, you the grower just decide how many nodes you want on the topped plant and take its top to the next pot to grow more nodes, lol

ok took the top from my 'monster' haze.

when i cut it, the hollow tube up the middle was quite large so i filled it with water and pinched it closed.

On the cutting i pierced the stem many many times with a syringe, then ingected rooting hormone up the tube.
It is now just sat in a cup of water in a humidity dome.

the second i see any form of root its going into soil.

the syringes are probably about 10 years old, from the hospital. one of my nephews had a difficult childhood, had to have a trachioptomy or however its spelled.

the entire syringe is only 1ml and the needle could probably thread the the eye of a sewing needle with room to spare its so fine.

yes, people on here have had success just chopping bits off and sticking them in tap water, lol. hoping to have the same luck as i am gambling the entire top of my favorite plant on it working.

on another note. the first 'surviving' clone i took managed 5 hours without wilting out in the open today, so im leaving it out over night in my grow room. if it survives the night without wilting i will say it has rooted.

one thing to note is that the soil in this pot was very tightly packed. easily twice the density of soil per sqcm than that of my 3 mother plants had (who's soil sank every time i watered) lol

30-07-12 (Day 30)

Ok guys radical change to my grow that warrants an instant update.

I have gone balls to the wall and chopped up my 'monster' sativa.
im doing 1 plant at a time to make sure i dont have a total loss.

Here is a 'before' look at the progress i have made so far(the clone that is sat in the Indica pot is actually from the left sativa, the one in the black pot is the top from the right sativa).
GEDC01662.JPG

This is what the top of the monster sativa looked like before i started this next phase.

This is how far i got into rooting the top in a glass (Before i trimmed the big leaves and added to the incubator)

These are what i have named my 'live cloning' sites. i have not checked for any form of roots yet, its too soon.

(left sativa)

(Middle plant - Indica - Top site)

(Middle plant - Indica - Bottom site)

And now the prize of the show, my work at the end of the day (Left to right)

And finally, the moment youve all been waiting for...
Think my monster sativa now has 5 clones. and the main plant is starting with 2 tops. im going to top each top every time it produces a node that can make 2 tops...if this survives its surgery, this is now my candidate for plant of the month, several down the line....Im going to see just how many tops i can have on a single plant....does anyone know the world record?
GEDC01741.JPG

And finally, i ran out of battery power on my camera, so you will have to wait for more pics...
Questions?

I think you are going to need a bigger attic:)

im going to need to flower 1 indica and 1 sativa as soon as possible.

i need to understand the grow nature of both plants in the final phase and judge the quality of the end smoke.

once i know what im about i will be choosing a single plant to be my clone strain, and will put all the others to flower.

my friends will donate a generous 'costs' gift so when i do turn the lot (exept my chosen strain) into bud, i can expect a glorious injection of funds towards improving my grow.

its at that point ill be going high brix, will be getting LOTS of lights, carbon filters, the works.

im just curious, but i wonder. if i was rich and i made a secret lab somewhere in the uk, for the purposes of our most educated members to push the boundries in style...would any of you risk it?

looking great GiGaBaNE, im very interested in the air cloning method, i have got a big section on this in my book but its differs from yours slightly, the book says something about peeling the skin back or something like that, ill have a read through and see what it says, but it did end up looking how yours do, so im very interested in this, it would be brilliant for plants that are difficult to clone, this would cut the losses down as it does say its 100% successful, so all been well you should have some decent clones

im just curious, but i wonder. if i was rich and i made a secret lab somewhere in the uk, for the purposes of our most educated members to push the boundries in style...would any of you risk it?

Yes. In a second. You can conceal anything. You just have to be smart enough about it. I have long though through the various signs that are looked at as identifying potential grows. I am certain you can do it 100% stealth.

I just love it when a grow journal indicates and then speeds up as it moves into a faster lane!

With those waste-paper-basket-pots how’s the root zone control coming along?

WPBPs for short.

Couldnt have worked better if it was the 'real thing'...no seriously, its the best thing since sliced bread. the roots filled the basket super fast, had some emerge up to a cm and they withered back all on its own. then it slowed down for a while, then picked up a little bit as all the side shoots found their border too.

If these pots were square, they would be perfect for a gentle flood and drain method, but round pots leave too much dead space you need to fill with liquid.

my first clone is successfully in the miniature air pot now (pencil holder), and ive used dense soil. but this will tell me how fast the roots grow and how big the plant can become when thus restricted.....we might be lucky and this could be the begining of a self pruning bozai sea of green mash up =D

eventually want to try that new 4 month soil...it may be possible to pot and go from clone to bud in a single tiny pot using only water!

once ive got this down myself ill be able to report the roll out speed from snipping a top to it taking roots to it pruducing a for or five node plant beneath it and being topped again to flowring time and harvest.

looking great GiGaBaNE, im very interested in the air cloning method, i have got a big section on this in my book but its differs from yours slightly, the book says something about peeling the skin back or something like that, ill have a read through and see what it says, but it did end up looking how yours do, so im very interested in this, it would be brilliant for plants that are difficult to clone, this would cut the losses down as it does say its 100% successful, so all been well you should have some decent clones

yeah my black one is my usual soil wraped in a piece of peat pot held together by electritions tape, lol
the white ones are just toilet paper kept wet with tap water to see if it makes a difference. im begining to think you need nothing but water, control of humidity and nice soil to put it in as soon as it has roots.

im not cloning those plants except for those experiments now. so we will see how they go then those 2 mothers are going to a flower room. ( will have a seperate thread for flowering =).

Back
Top Bottom