Godzilla Cookies Auto Sponsored By Herbies Seeds & Bestva LED Pro4000

Oh I wasn't advocating for transplanting now, just that if he waits he should probably put the pots on something to prevent the roots from growing into the soil!
Ah! I missed that inference. Very good point

put the pots on something to prevent the roots from growing into the soil!
That was one of the reasons for putting the pots partially into the soil I was planning on transplanting them into. One to get the roots to push through the edges. I wanted to see how vigorous there were. Very! Gets the root system a little head start with its future medium. The worst that would happen is some minor root pruning when transplanting. More roots the better?! No?
:popcorn:

That was one of the reasons for putting the pots partially into the soil I was planning on transplanting them into. One to get the roots to push through the edges. I wanted to see how vigorous there were. Very! Gets the root system a little head start with its future medium. The worst that would happen is some minor root pruning when transplanting. More roots the better?! No?
:popcorn:
I'm a little confused. Are you planning on keeping them in the little pots and letting the roots grow into the tray or are you transplanting into the tray?

If you are transplanting you desperately need to remove the tray for now. If the roots start to grow into the tray you will have to rip the roots out to repot them. This is really bad. You can stick them on a plate for now if need be. The roots will still poke out no matter what. You just don't want them poking out and growing into something if you are planning on repotting.

What you could do if you wanted to keep the pots is carefully cut the whole square base off the bottom. Then you can keep the pots and place directly into the new tray and the roots will just spread.

I should say one thing which has always put me off using a shared pot/tray is that marijuana is a weed. Weeds are a survival of the fittest kind of plant. They will fight for survival and take nutrients away from the weaker plants rather than share nicely lol.

By putting into a shared pot they may be completely fine. But they may also end up with a dominant pheno or plant which takes control of the medium and restricts the nutrients for the others.

Sorry to be all negative just saying why Ive always been wary of doing a tray or growbag style grow.

What you could do if you wanted to keep the pots is carefully cut the whole square base off the bottom. Then you can keep the pots and place directly into the new tray and the roots will just spread.

I should say one thing which has always put me off using a shared pot/tray is that marijuana is a weed. Weeds are a survival of the fittest kind of plant. They will fight for survival and take nutrients away from the weaker plants rather than share nicely lol.

By putting into a shared pot they may be completely fine. But they may also end up with a dominant pheno or plant which takes control of the medium and restricts the nutrients for the others.
I was thinking that originally but since they're autos I don't think it will be as big a deal.

I was thinking that originally but since they're autos I don't think it will be as big a deal.
It will be a good experiment if nothing else lol. You know what I'm like for obsessing over every detail lol. It's the reason I'm still awake at 4am and was in the tents up until half an hour ago hahah

Ok, so I understand where your concern is coming from. They will be transplanted into the grow box. Not keeping them in the small containers (although technically I could). But they would not thrive long term if I left them in there.

I could transplant them all tonight if that makes everyone feel better. LOL I'm just not worried about a little root pruning.

As for the sharing of the resources. You definitely are onto something there. Can I avoid that? I want to see if I can make it work as long as I keep up with the feedings. Maybe even add a little extra just in case. Either organics, I can build a buffer of excess and the plant will take what it needs. As long as it is there in the first place for the microbes. Not sure if this eases the horticultural tension. :morenutes::laugh::passitleft:

Ok, so I understand where your concern is coming from. They will be transplanted into the grow box. Not keeping them in the small containers (although technically I could). But they would not thrive long term if I left them in there.

I could transplant them all tonight if that makes everyone feel better. LOL I'm just not worried about a little root pruning.

As for the sharing of the resources. You definitely are onto something there. Can I avoid that? I want to see if I can make it work as long as I keep up with the feedings. Maybe even add a little extra just in case. Either organics, I can build a buffer of excess and the plant will take what it needs. As long as it is there in the first place for the microbes. Not sure if this eases the horticultural tension. :morenutes::laugh::passitleft:
The root tearing isn't particularly hard work or anything it just is unnecessary to out such hurt onto the plants. You could seriously stunt root growth and irreparably damage those roots and have to wait much longer after transplanting. I just let them fill the pot and then transplant when they are all poking out the bottoms. It really just seems crazy to do for no reason lol.

As for the shared pot I don't see how you could control it. If any plant is dominant its roots will simply stretch further and be more dense and restrict growth for those around it. Then it wouldn't be so much that they where taking more but needing more while the others needed less. It's just nature being nature.

Shed said it may not be an issue with it being autos. But unless you are really set on the tray I'd personally use 3 pots. The space needed will be Essentially the same.

It's all up to you though dude. I've put my thoughts across that's all. I like to have things optimised. But experimentation is how discoveries are made :) at least if it goes bad you will learn it doesn't work. And if it goes well you can tell me I told you so hahah

It really just seems crazy to do for no reason lol.
But it is for a reason. Root ramifications.
It's just nature being nature.
I agree with you. Also, nature being nature is balance. In nature there is a balance that can be found in an ecosystem as well. The competition to thrive is ever present though. I acknowledge that completely. I understand your reservations. I feel compelled to give it a try and not to prove anyone wrong. Just curios if I can provide a balanced growing medium for them and we all still win.

I seriously contemplated doing 3 separate containers. Not that I still can't. But curiosity gets the best of me and it turned into all 3 in one grow box.

The less stress to an auto on transplant the better, so any damage to the roots is more than they should get.
Gotcha. I understood that a lot of the grief and anxiety over autos and their growth has eased recently. So is my logic still more toward growing photos? I mean, they aren't stressed yet. No harm yet. I think they wouldn't skip a beat but I also don't have the experience with autos or these genetics to say that with certainty. Appreciate the insight Shed and Moony. I checked on them this morning. They pushed out some more roots and added a couple mm to the existing ones. I'll rethink this. Putting them back onto the tray is no biggie.

How many gallons is the tub?
Roughly 1.5 cf and then an inch or two of mulch is the plan. I figured each at 3-4 gallons of soil for each to share.

But it is for a reason. Root ramifications.

I agree with you. Also, nature being nature is balance. In nature there is a balance that can be found in an ecosystem as well. The competition to thrive is ever present though. I acknowledge that completely. I understand your reservations. I feel compelled to give it a try and not to prove anyone wrong. Just curios if I can provide a balanced growing medium for them and we all still win.

I seriously contemplated doing 3 separate containers. Not that I still can't. But curiosity gets the best of me and it turned into all 3 in one grow box.
I completely understand the curiosity :)

I just worry about the root ripping. I don't think there's any question that damaging roots is always a bad thing. I don't think the shared container is as bad as the bottom roots growing into the medium in the tray and then needing to be ripped out. I don't pretend to know much about the science but I'm pretty sure this is one of the worst things you can do to any rooting plant.

I should say also I've never done an auto grow myself. So if there are different requirements or anything like that I have no clue lol. I'm just going off the little knowledge I've managed to scrape together haha.
The less stress to an auto on transplant the better, so any damage to the roots is more than they should get.

How many gallons is the tub?
One of the things I thought I knew about autos was you didn't transplant them haha. Then I came to 420 and I see everyone starting autos in smaller pots and transplanting. So I know nothing Jon snow as usual hehe

I completely understand the curiosity :)

I just worry about the root ripping. I don't think there's any question that damaging roots is always a bad thing. I don't think the shared container is as bad as the bottom roots growing into the medium in the tray and then needing to be ripped out. I don't pretend to know much about the science but I'm pretty sure this is one of the worst things you can do to any rooting plant.

I should say also I've never done an auto grow myself. So if there are different requirements or anything like that I have no clue lol. I'm just going off the little knowledge I've managed to scrape together haha.

One of the things I thought I knew about autos was you didn't transplant them haha. Then I came to 420 and I see everyone starting autos in smaller pots and transplanting. So I know nothing Jon snow as usual hehe
I remember a master gardener once showed me how he transplants tomatoes. He pulls them out of the pots and then pulls the roots away from the bottom, kind of like spreading them out before he replants. There was definitely some tearing of roots, but those tomatoes thrived. I think we tend to get a little to delicate hands on our plants (me included) and forget how much they can actually take. The difference starts with a $15 cannabis seed vs. $1.50 for a pack of tomato seeds I suppose.

This is why I like you Baked...well other reasons of course, but THIS MINDSET!

Great journal so far Baked. You definitely have my curiosity as well. I'm in.

BTW, pineapple is fine on pizza as long as it is cut small enough ;)

Great journal so far Baked. You definitely have my curiosity as well. I'm in.

BTW, pineapple is fine on pizza as long as it is cut small enough ;)
Iewww

OK ok...maybe on a GRILLED CHICKEN PIZZA W BBBQ SAUCE AND RED ONIONS AND CHEDDAR AND CILANTRO for some bite...Maybe then you would see tiny little bit sized pieces of pineapple on my pizza...maybe

I think we tend to get a little to delicate hands on our plants (me included) and forget how much they can actually take.
My thought is that it's fine for photos (or tomatoes), when you have all the time in the world for the plant to recover, but with autos you're on a race against the flowering clock. Originally folks said that autos should be planted in their final home from the jump to lessen stress on the roots from transplant. Then folks started transplanting them doing their best not to disturb the roots. I'm not sure that the next step from "not disturbing the roots" to "devil may care" is the best approach with a plant that flowers on its own schedule. Why risk it when it's entirely unnecessary?

Of course, your mileage may vary. :)

I remember a master gardener once showed me how he transplants tomatoes. He pulls them out of the pots and then pulls the roots away from the bottom, kind of like spreading them out before he replants. There was definitely some tearing of roots, but those tomatoes thrived. I think we tend to get a little to delicate hands on our plants (me included) and forget how much they can actually take. The difference starts with a $15 cannabis seed vs. $1.50 for a pack of tomato seeds I suppose.
There is also a difference. Sometimes if I'm late to repot and the roots are really bound in a ball I will cut the roots with scissors. Only 4 times, once on each side of the base. This encourages the roots to start growing as when they become bound they will slow and need to be encouraged to grow again. The difference is that it's not autos and the roots are so bound that cutting does more good than leaving them. Even if I don't need to cut I will still "tickle" the bottom of the roots to just loosen them super carefully.

This is very different from ripping the roots up when they are new and just reached the medium.

I'm sorry if it seems like I'm going on at you baked I promise I'm not I'm just explaining myself to renaissance.

Back
Top Bottom