GreenChrome's Perpetual Grow Journal Volume 1 - Soil - Ice & Bubblicious

Hey Sunny! Take a look at your current bill and see what your electric company is charging you for each kilawatt hour (KWh). A lot of equipment comes with a chart or you can find them online ("appliance cost calculator"). You input the wattage of your lights, the hours per day you are running them and the cents per KW.

For example:
Wattage of Appliance: Two 500 watt lights (1000 watts)
Hours per day: 12 hours
Cents per KWh: (check your electric bill) 8.7

Which would add up to:
Cost per day: 1.04
Cost per quarter: 95.26
Cost per year: 381.06

You also have some flexibility with your choice of lights. We are currently using high-pressure sodium for our Flowering and metal halide for Veg. If you are looking to keep costs down, you can consider using fluorscent or LED. We had used fluorescent in our very first grow, as once upon a time we were in a small apartment and did not want the immense amount of heat that the lights we are currently using throw off. I have no experience with LED grows, but I believe that is what Buckshot is using.

Like I mentioned above, heat is also a factor to consider besides cost. We are currently using a growing room we built off our garage, and even with air-cooled lights that vent outside, we still have to run an air conditioner in our garage to keep the plants at a managable heat as well as our house. Before we vented out of the house and the ducting blew air into our garage, temperatures soared well into the nineties. The plants also received quite a shock for a few days as temperatures peaked at 100 degrees while Chrome worked to get supplies and send ducting out of the house. It now looks similar to a dryer vent on the outside.

Thank you dadums for the advice. I will absolutely look into the soy-based spray. We have been using up the last of our nutrients, as I would like to start leaning more towards organic. The water conditioner they told me about at the grow store was supposedly to kill the larva, as it was mixed into the water, but it appears to not be helping. The grow room is built inside the garage, the room itself is well sealed, and the passive intake vents are screened. When I open the main door to work, bring in water buckets or what have you, there is a high possibility that one or two little bastards are flying in unnoticed and having a field day. The garage itself needs new doors, as the insulation is null. We'll be working on that in the future.

We use new soil each grow, the old I disperse in my garden outside. I have to take a run to the fish store today to buy some worms and pellets, it's not too far off from the grow shop. They were watered last night, so I have a day or two before I can water again, but will definitely look into the spray you suggested.

I should have some neem oil left over from the very first grow we did, where we had purchased plants that were unfortunately infested with spider mites. I hate even reminding myself of that awful experience. I'll let you all know how it goes tonight!

I just filled both racks and 8 solocups as spares with new per lite
and still saw one of the bastards buzzing me......... he died :rip:
It's ortho elemantals home insect killer 100% soybean oil as
an active ingredient. You gotta get it on them so i drench the top.
If they are not near the girls it's RAID.(or kitty)
Let the top of your soil dry they like it wet.
Drawback of my 2L hempy racks.
gotta water often.

Thank you again, dadums! I didn't get a chance to hit up the grow store - too many errands, not enough hours. I rummaged through the closet last night and found an insecticide Chrome had used on our first grow. To my dismay, it not only had no instructions on dosage or how to apply it. There was a lengthy warning list however, cautioning against the exposure of any bit of its element on your person.

The gnat problem appears no worse, no better. But as dadums mentioned, it's the suckers out of sight that worry me. I'm sitting having some Theruflu tea at the moment, looking after my neighbor's dogs while they are on business. A to do list is in order, time for the grow shop must be made.

Dadums, I'm going to jot down that name and bring it with me. Anything that so strongly advises not to inhale, touch or in anyway make contact with, gives me reason to pause. Are there residuals to a product like that; would that be something I am inhaling/injecting later on? If I choose to purchase organic produce, why would I essentially poison my own crop? Soybean appears to be the way to go.

I apologize for spelling errors, my keyboard needs to be charged and I'm using the touch screen. Chicken tapping never works well for me.

Hey guys, I was telling Chrome about going to the grow store and he suggested that we wait and see if the product we mixed in the water took care of the problem. We had used Dutch Master Root Zone - I was skeptical at first because the bottle and site appeared to have no info on being used as an insecticide. I did some additional research and found on other forums that people use this product say it is also good for treating gnats. I believe we are going to need to water again tonight, so I'll put another dose in.

Oh no! Did it kill your current seedlings?

I added Root Zone to the water last night. It appears that the first watering did not kill off the gnats, as there were a few flying overhead and a sufficient amount stuck to the traps. I'm hoping between the adults being driven for the wet soil to be caught on traps, and the Root Zone hopefully taking care of eggs and larvae, this will resolve itself soon.

I previously water about two days ago with nutrients. I noticed that a good portion of older fan leaves where still being depleted of N, but after researching through 420 Magazine, I found an article advising against further N addition at the end of flowering, as the plant uses the stored energy in the leaves towards flowering.

One lady in the front, same plot size as the rest, appeared to have slight nutrient burn on some of the higher leaves. I feel terrible about causing undo suffering, but everyone else seems to be flourishing. Perhaps I gave her the last bit of water in the bucket and the nutrients had settled at the bottom, consequently causing an overdose? Just a theory, I'm not sure what happened there, otherwise.

Yes 20 girls (sniff sniff)
Got 25 peat pucks with 2 seeds each
I'm getting to the end of my collection of seed from grow#1 that went hermie
and they are small so germination and survival rates are dropping off.
I bet you will have the same problems I had at the end. It looks like N deficiency, but it's the root damage not letting enough up
and if you add to much you'll burn them. You'll take longer for the buds to ripen I was scoping clear trics for ever it seemed.
You can get an idea of the damage by GENTLY pulling up on a stem. Just a little will show how much structure is lost. Just when I figure it out I got something else to learn or another dumb mistake to make.

Good luck

I've got to look root zone up and see what's in it. The root zone won't kill the adults just what's in the soil. Thought I had the winner with the soybean-oil spray. cure was worse than the bugs. you have to treat several times to get the different stages. I'm going to put discs of weed block on top of the per-lite around the stems. Let them try to get through that.

Re: Electric bill

Much Mahalo GreenChef, I think at this time in my life and the knowlege I have, I will use our sun and tradewind. It has never failed me. Thank you for replying to my post.
I will continue to Keep It Green..

The gnats are dead!

Those were a precarious few days there. I decided that the Root Zone I was previously using as an insecticide was either not working, or just working far too slow. Despite the unseen damage that may have been happening below the soil, I didn't want to just slather the girls in chemical insecticides. I wouldn't want to inhale or ingest anything that had been coated in as many warnings as some of the brands I viewed carried.

Happily, I found an alternative. It started with understanding where the gnats were coming from. My previous viewpoint on watering the girls was as long as there is drainage holes, a good bath is what's needed for a happy plant. Unfortunately, my lack of understanding of water absorption was the catalyst to our gnat problem.

Inside the pot there is the roots, the substrate and the air pockets of oxygen between. With overwatering, the water coats the roots, the particles of the substrate and fills up the air pockets. The plant will absorb as much of the oxygen as it can out of the water and stop at that. The water left and not absorbed will stay within the air pockets, depriving the roots of needed oxygen. The stagnant water kills off the roots and causes a breeding ground for fungus, and consequentially fungus gnats.

Hydrogen peroxide's make up is H2O2, essentially a water molecule with an extra oxygen atom. This additional atom causes the molecule to be unstable, forming an oxygen atom and a water molecule when it breaks apart. The oxygen atom will attach to another oxygen atom or organic matter - fungus. The fungus, along with other infections and spores, will be killed off by the bombardment of oxygen. This rapid and abundant release of oxygen will also be absorbed by the roots, aiding in a speedier recovery of the injured plant.

The hydrogen peroxide should have killed the fungus gnat larvae within the soil. To prevent the adult gnats from laying more eggs and continuing the cycle, we created an inhospitable bed for the gnats. We pulled out the plants and dug out the first 2-3 inches of soil. The removed soil was bagged and tossed, considering that the few top inches will have the most eggs and larvae. We then used play sand purchased at Home Depot to fill the pot back up, as my research suggested that the gnats will not lay their eggs in the soil. The remaining adults should die off or be caught within fly strips. Apparently, the yellow-colored strips are preferable. I read that insects are more readily attracted to the color yellow, and using both white and yellow strips, the winner is the latter.

We did this to both the Veg and Flower Chambers and I'm relieved to say it appears our gnat problem is solved! It has been a few days now, and there has been a vastly large decrease in the number of gnats. It seems to be just a couple of stragglers; I counted one in the large Flower Chamber and three in the smaller. I am very satisfied with the results of hydrogen peroxide and sand, I believe after those last gnats die off, that should be the end of it.

The Flower girls appear to be doing better, leaves are upright and the color doesn't seem to be depleting a faster than normal rate. Our fan leaves always start to yellow towards the end of the road. The smaller Flower Chamber is still green and just starting to really get expansive hairs.

We have been checking the trichomes in the larger room, and the tips are just starting to turn an amber hue. It's probably going to be another couple of weeks in there, Chrome and I were considering doing one last half-strength go of nutrients before flushing. Watering maybe tonight, I'll have to see how the soil is.

IMG_108314.JPG

Large Flower Chamber, left side

IMG_108420.JPG

Large Flower Chamber, right side

IMG_10859.jpg

Almost ready to go!

IMG_108815.JPG

Sparkly.

IMG_109419.JPG

Pulled from the smaller room.

IMG_109612.JPG

Removed 2-3 inches of top soil.

IMG_109713.JPG

Play sand, used to prevent gnats from laying their eggs.

IMG_109214.jpg

A good healthy layer of sand replacing the top of the soil.

IMG_108913.JPG

The horror...

I hope this bit of knowledge I gained could be helpful to some of you. Have a great one!

I used 2 1/2 tsp of hydrogen peroxide per gallon. I gave it a good watering, As the new solution should push out any old residual water still trapped in the pot. Anything that came out in the drainage tray I sucked out with the wet/dry vac. A plastic baster would have worked as well, but I was already cleaning out the rooms. It's always good to remove dead/rotting debris from your room to stave off unwanted pests.

Glad I popped in ... awesome plants! Great information on those disgusting little bastards!!!

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info! :blushsmile:

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial:
Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine.

Back
Top Bottom