Grow Journal - First Time Grow Outdoor

ahhh. i thought they were not getting enough light outside. the store owner said they need 18 hours. in my yard they will get 14 - 15 hours of light. but it can be pretty cloudy and sun moves. so i have to move them around. should i give them a few hours of this lamp on top of the out door time. ? or just move em out again and leave em out ?! they are 4 weeks old. and still this small :(

ahhh. i thought they were not getting enough light outside. the store owner said they need 18 hours. in my yard they will get 14 - 15 hours of light. but it can be pretty cloudy and sun moves. so i have to move them around. should i give them a few hours of this lamp on top of the out door time. ? or just move em out again and leave em out ?! they are 4 weeks old. and still this small :(
How about some pics. ?

People grow indoors for varied reasons. If one lives in a country where the growing season is very short and or inhospitable to cannabis. People grow indoors cos they don't want to worry about being ripped. They grow indoors because they have no access to an outdoor garden. Because they don't want the hassle of dealing with nature and its unforeseeability.

Indoor growing is obviously more expensive, cos to build an ecosystem indoors you need all manner of equipment and that means extra electricity use and the investment in the equipment.

Outdoors all you need is sunlight and your substrate and fertilisers. Obviously natures does like nature does.

Whether one way is better than the other is a matter of personal opinion and preference. Obviously an outside grow is more 'natural' in many ways but it's a matter of taste and what's possible for the particular grower.

alright. so my one lamp seems to be doing better than the outside natural light. they have been indoors now for over a week not watering, and under the lamp for 17-18 hours a day. and they look much better !

If you could move the plants and the lamp outside it would be best.
And use a timer, changing the on/off time everyday aint good for the ladies.
I personally do indoor because of the ease of climate contorl, nutes, pests and be able to harvest 4 times per year. AND the police! If not because of the last reason i would have only done outdoors, much much less expensive, no 1000w bulbs, no ballasts, no ir or uv,no 20kw climate control.... And there is always something to fix or change...
Enjoy the freedom! Use the sun , atleast in addition to your 18hr fix light on lamp.

When the sun is not shining, put them under your lights. But if someone is there during the day and it's sunny outside, set them out side or by sunny window. And protecting them from bugs & other pests, is your job.
In grow room on this site, under link for how to grow mj, and all the info you need is in there. You need to do some reading on the basics of growing mj. i had been growing off and on for like 40 yrs. and assumed my way was good or exceptable, because I had had some success over the yrs.. And then I started reading the grow journals on 420 mag., and really learned that some of the stuff I had been taught was wrong. If growing weed was easy, everyone would do it !! let's move forward with your grow. What are your plans , Do you have a grow spot and Them holes aren't gonna dig themselves ?? When I hear you've dug the holes, then I'll start believing that you're serious I can't make out what type material them cups are made of, but I hope light isn't shining thru the sides ?

IMG_319314.JPG
IMG_319111.JPG
IMG_319016.JPG

how often should i water ? the first set of round leaves is yellowing, does that mean they need a drink ? should i put them in the ground ( when ready) or put in really large pots ? ,, ok into the sun when possible, then back under the light..! got it.

how often should i water ? the first set of round leaves is yellowing, does that mean they need a drink ? should i put them in the ground ( when ready) or put in really large pots ? ,, ok into the sun when possible, then back under the light..! got it.
Well, I don't think you need a really huge pot.
Because you're running late, your plants are not gonna get really huge. I'd get 15 gal fabric pots, But you must be able to go water them every 3-5 day, if it don't rain. Another thing, pots are more visable, if that's a concern? Mine are in mother earth. Go to a landscaping service, and buy their best mixture, Where I live, a pick-up truck load of good rich top soil is about $30. Or maybe he can mix the aged manure compost right into the top soil for you. i mean can you just set up on the patio, or is this gorilla grow? but yes, I think you got the light thing now, and I expect to see some growth now. Don't water till they're dry, then water till you get a little runoff. Before you water next time, check to see if they're root bound. If they are rootbound, then up pot to a pot 2 times bigger, but no larger. Or put them right into the pots, or the earth !! At this point, I suggest keeping them inside and on the patio till they recuperate from all the insect attacks, and start growing again. But to do this, they need as much sun as possible. Probably be about 7/1 before they'll be ready, so they're only gonna have about 30 days outside before they start blooming, if that long. I'd guess you'll wind up with 2-3 ft. bushes and you're still gonna harvest some dank !!
Next year remember to start your plants about 2.5 months before this date. You'd have planted 2 ft. plants, on june 1st. and then you'd need big pots. And if there's any light getting thru the sides of your cups, that's maybe why they're stunted ? Duct tape around the outside of the cups.

OK, HOW DO I CHECK to see what the roots are doing ?

Not concerned about hiding the plants. so outdoor 100% of the time would be fine if that is best.

and why does it matter what time of year people plant ? if its indoor. does it make a difference?

im just growing the plants to support my own use. so i dont need huge amounts or need to grow more than 1-2 plants at a time.

thanks for all the advice !

OK, HOW DO I CHECK to see what the roots are doing ?

Not concerned about hiding the plants. so outdoor 100% of the time would be fine if that is best.

and why does it matter what time of year people plant ? if its indoor. does it make a difference?

im just growing the plants to support my own use. so i don't need huge amounts or need to grow more than 1-2 plants at a time.

thanks for all the advice !
100% outside is what you need, but you got to make sure they don't get eaten by bugs, while they're out. Also protect from rabbits & deer. To check the roots, massage the sides of the cup and then put two finger around the plant stem, turn it upside down and push on bottom of cup, should pop right out. Post pics. of the roots .
Now the time of yr. to plant outside is usually associated with the last frost date in your area, it's about last of may here. So if you got them out on that day, it gives them time to grow to a respectable size before the bloom period starts, which here is about the middle of july. If I put them out the last of june, like you're getting ready to do, then they would only have a few weeks to do their growing , before bloom starts. They will grow 2 to 3 time larger, than whatever size they happen to be, when bloom begins. I can see your soil thru your cups, duct tape them, because if sun is shining on the roots, it's not going to work. You do any prep yet, like get the stuff you need and get ready to plant ? Good luck !! I'm not a very good teacher, as I don't have enough patience, so i really hope I'm helping. Just trying to pay it forward !!

OK, GOing to move outside today. putting them in large pots incase i need to move them around. any advice on the soil i should use ?

ok, dont laugh.

i moved them outside in decent sized black pots , and overnight my cats decided to dig and shit in BOTH of the pots ( i have 4 cats plus a few strays) so ... i was pretty amazed at that.

anyways they were slightly mangled, and most likely covered in shit. BUT i was not ready to give up.. SOOO i took those sad little plants back in the house, in some fresh soil, and put one light per plant. they look ok. that was about 4 days ago.. they seem to be getting bigger. i did try to get some photos of the roots , but not much to be seen, i will update with some photos now !

Damn you have a journey on your hands. I have my first grow goin on, all i did was germ the seed pop it in a pod with my tomatoes for a week and planted outside. Gets 8-10 hours direct sunlight when not cloudy, actually isnt doin too bad. Started flowering today, check my thread if youd like. Nice recovery on the bug problem, mist the bottom of those leaves too, lots of bugs chill underneath, i caught what i think are spider mites very very early .

Back
Top Bottom