GROWant Journal - SIPs & Living Organic Soil - Sub Irrigated Planter

So I was too excited to wait for the flower room to finish up before I started planting.
That makes today 10/3 Officially Day1 (Direct 2 Dirt Method)
We planted 3 into our Sip containers and 1 into a 5 gal smart pot(2nd cycle soil)

420-magazine-mobile1182001865.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1931949836.jpg

We have x2 Fast and Vast
x1 High Density and
x1 Short and Sweet.
Also threw down a cover crop blend similar to what's in the smart pot.
I am still waiting on 1 more Sip container. The WipeOut Express will be planted in that.

Re: GROWant Journal - SIPs & Living Organic Soil - Sub Irrigated Planter

Living organic soil is truly fascinating. How the plants and their roots work in a symbiosis with the micro organisms and how they benefit from each other. I like growing in soil. Just don't feel i can ignore the greatly improved results yield wise in hydroponics. Will continue to work with both also in rhe future

The organic soil I use is a local product, but it's brilliant. Very lucky with finding such a quality supplier in this part of the world.

This Will be a very interesting journal. Which lamps do you plan to use?

Knf. I see there are things to learn for me here. Just love learning new things.

It seems doc bud's high brix is the most popular route to go here on 420 mag these days. It's interesting as well. In reality he takes care of the cannabis biz on behalf of high brix gardens if I'm not mistaken as they dont want to be connected to that biz directly. So they let doc take care of us

Re: GROWant Journal - SIPs & Living Organic Soil - Sub Irrigated Planter

Living organic soil is truly fascinating. How the plants and their roots work in a symbiosis with the micro organisms and how they benefit from each other. I like growing in soil. Just don't feel i can ignore the greatly improved results yield wise in hydroponics. Will continue to work with both also in rhe future

The organic soil I use is a local product, but it's brilliant. Very lucky with finding such a quality supplier in this part of the world.

This Will be a very interesting journal. Which lamps do you plan to use?

Right now I am under a 18/6 light cycle. Using our G5 Pro G400. I have the sunrise and sunset features on.
The soil/hydro yield debate will probably always fall towards hydro. Better Taste towards soil. I'm not sure which has a lower overhead for perpetual cycling.
My reason for choosing soil,and the growing style I have adapted, is to cut down on my carbon footprint as a grower.
Meaning, I try and be as waste free as possible. I do not have water runoff, and I reuse my same soil. I am really loving what KNF has to offer. Making your own ferments and locally sourcing and making all the Nutes yourself. Talk about cutting down on reoccurring cost.
As always thanx for stopping by.

Carbon footprint. I agree. That's why I'm using recycling dripper system so nothing goes to waste. Hydro also uses almost 90% less water compared to soil due to evaporation from the soil surface.

Im really happy to see I'm not the only one here who cares about our planet :) you just got yourself a big fat star in my book

Carbon footprint. I agree. That's why I'm using recycling dripper system so nothing goes to waste. Hydro also uses almost 90% less water compared to soil due to evaporation from the soil surface.

Im really happy to see I'm not the only one here who cares about our planet :) you just got yourself a big fat star in my book

The footprint is something not everyone is taking serious. Great to see that you are both so "in to it" guys. You both get a star from me :)
It’s funny because when I first started growing I didn’t think about these sort of things. It wasn’t until I became a father that I truly started caring what was put into my body and my overall effect on the environment. It’s always nice seeing other growers with these same philosophies.

It's funny because when I first started growing I didn't think about these sort of things. It wasn't until I became a father that I truly started caring what was put into my body and my overall effect on the environment. It's always nice seeing other growers with these same philosophies.

I can imagine, No kids here and i am not planning to Tho i understand What you mean.

Its insane What i already learned from one month on 420 so it Will probably become bigger and better over time. My footprint is something to value more for my next growth! Thank you both for the eye opener :)

It's funny because when I first started growing I didn't think about these sort of things. It wasn't until I became a father that I truly started caring what was put into my body and my overall effect on the environment. It's always nice seeing other growers with these same philosophies.
I'm actually going through this currently lol. I started a compost pile out back. I think part of it is also wanting to lead by example for my little one...

Can you maybe give a dumbed down version of what it is exactly that's happening in your dirt? A brief explanation of why it's beneficial etc.? I'm a little confused between a "super soil" "high brix" and living organic soil. Is LOS naturally hi brix? Are there actually critters (worms) in your dirt?

Sorry if thats too many questions at once but again this topic really has my interest and I want to soak up all I can from experienced soil growers :)

Thanks

✌ Dabber

I recently received a free sampler of some stuff from my local hydro shop. One of them was called Azos. It's some sort of beneficial bacteria. I had two mother plants that were looking quite sad, so I mixed up a batch and gave it to them and holy f*****g hell they loved that stuff. Gave them a real kickstart. Think I may buy a pack and give it a try again some time if I keep some of my soil grows.

Did any of you good folks try that stuff? Internet says this about it:

"Azos is an all-natural, growth promoting, Nitrogen fixing bacteria ideal for cloning and transplanting. Azos converts nitrogen into a usable form that is readily available to the plant. Nitrogen is critical for forming vegetative matter and supporting abundant growth. Azos promotes growth, while boosting natural root development. Nitrogen-Fixing Bacteria - Of all the nutrients transported to plants through the soil, nitrogen is required in the greatest amount. It drives chlorophyll production in the foliage and keeps plants green and efficient. It is a fundamental part of amino acids and other compounds that assure crop health and productivity. It is a major part of every protein molecule and soils are often deficient of this element. However the atmosphere is comprised of around 80% nitrogen which is in a form (N2 or atmospheric nitrogen) that is not conventionally available to plants. ​ Nitrogen From the Air! - Somewhere along the evolutionary development of the "Plant - Soil - Microbial Matrix", certain bacteria began to specialize in tasks to enhance plant growth, which in return provided the microbes with a food source exchange opportunity. A select group of bacteria classified as "Diazotrophs" began to supply nitrogen to plants from a range of sources, including decomposed plant litter, dead micro-organisms, and sequestration of atmospheric nitrogen. Azos belongs to the last of these groups and functions primarily as an atmospheric nitrogen converter. A Natural Isolate From the Amazon - Azos is a particularly-efficient agent originally isolated in the Amazon Basin where the lack of soil, the rapid breakdown of any vegetation by hungry microbes, and the environmental conditions which require "Growth to Survive" is a fundamental proposition of the ecosystem. Azos specializes in the highly-efficient conversion of the N2 form of nitrogen into plant-available NH3 ammoniacal nitrogen" Just make sure to use it all at once, cause it really stinks if you leave it standing there for a while.

I heard about it! Great testimonial may have to look into it! I'm using an microbes now. Great stuff! Just pricey...

DeVille,
I'm using OG Teas Root Webstar right now in my current journal. I believe it's a pretty similar idea, though I'll spare the long winded explanation.

Mine supplements a variety of glomus propagules to my soil. I just fed my babes the first time last night with just the og tea, diluted into water and by the looks of them this morning they loved it.

It's supposed to help foster a monster root system which in turn helps the plant. Also helps make the nutrients more available for the plant by having those living microbes around the roots, helping the plant be more resistant to shock etc.

I'd say use the stuff if you can find a place in your budget for it!

Cheers :blunt:

There are other interesting microbes as well - Wonder if it's a problem to mix different species together?

P.s. I also used it to germinate my beans with great success. It's a great way to give your plants a head start without having to worry about nute burn and sensitivity etc in the early stages of a plants life.

Looking back, I would have watered the bacteria into the medium I potted the plants in, but either way they're soaring along and I think thats because the taproots came out directly into the root Webstar and just went crazy!

I've got pics documenting it if anyone wants to see what I mean by germinating with this stuff!

Also sorry Gee don't mean to hijack your thread :S

:blunt:

Back
Top Bottom