Lentils - Indainhead
Millet - White Proso
Vetch - Hairy
Vetch - Common
Cowpeas - Iron and Clay
Buckwheat - Mancan
Pea - Forage

This is the list of the cover crop.
Mostly clover. All the plants listed are considered legumes.
Legumes have this structure on their roots called nodules. Those nodules are home to bacteria called Rhizobium.
Rhizobium and legumes have a symbiotic relationship.
The bacteria take nitrogen from the air in the soil and feed this nitrogen to the legumes. The legumes provides carbs for the bacteria.
Would you be able to have a cover crop on potted plants that get top fed? Or would it be too much agua?

Would you be able to have a cover crop on potted plants that get top fed? Or would it be too much agua?

420-magazine-mobile7075991.jpg

Yes you can use it in your container plants, that are top fed. That's a pic of a 5gal smart pot lots of cover crop. That will be the second cycle in that soil. It gets watered from the top.
420-magazine-mobile365123744.jpg
here's a pic of the cover crop blend. It's from buildasoil

Yes you can use it in your container plants, that are top fed. That's a pic of a 5gal smart pot lots of cover crop. That will be the second cycle in that soil. It gets watered from the top.
Awesome!! I've little knowledge of symbiotic relationships of plants. I'd read in passing legumes = good lol
Nettles make cannabis produce resin, and mint helped keep some critters out of my garden last year.

I'm so glad you did this journal!!! This is exactly the kinda stuff I wanted to learn about!!!!

Agreed! So cool to see nature's circle of love

Gee sorry if I missed this part but your super nifty containers with the tube and tray down below... is it like a dwc on the bottom or just to exhaust / supply air to the root system?

Hope I'm not asking to many questions. But this is quickly becoming my favorite journal, and has me wanting to learn more :)

Agreed! So cool to see nature's circle of love ..

Gee sorry if I missed this part but your super nifty containers with the tube and tray down below... is it like a dwc on the bottom or just to exhaust / supply air to the root system?

Hope I'm not asking to many questions. But this is quickly becoming my favorite journal, and has me wanting to learn more :)

420-magazine-mobile136385364.jpg
420-magazine-mobile2111541748.jpg

You're never asking too many questions ;)
Here's a few pics to help me explain. In pic one you can see that there is a tray that sits above the reservoir. The black tube is where you water to fill up the res.
Pic 2 you can see that there are 2 pockets that actually sit in the reservoir. These pockets leach up the water and keeps the planter moist. You can also see the numerous holes in the tray. This will allow roots to pass through and sit in the water as well.
What is so amazing about Sub Irrigated Planters is,(at least with photo strains) they reach a point in growth where there roots hit the reservoir water and plant growth just explodes. Definitely like a dwc/soil hybrid.
I'm hoping this explosive growth translates into my autoflowers. *fingers crossed*

Exactly why I use what I'm using .

So I must have missed it - what do you use?

Yep. Really low maintenance. I use them outdoors for veggies. Glad you stopped by.

Cool - we're currently having wicking-beds built for our vege patch. So do you cover crop in your vege patch as well?

I'm a bit confused by that. You talk about the cover crop only being for a top watering situation. Yet, you have some cover crop in your SIPs. Did I miss something.?

Excited to watch this grow Gee. Keen to see the performance of the lights. I care about my carbon footprint too and am hoping to use the sun as much as possible going forward. ☀️ The low power use of the GROWant lights makes me think one out of season grow a year might be ok - I have one going now but it the jury is out on how effective my light is (it's an older model - I can probably do better!)

It's great to hear folk talk about their carbon footprint and minimising waste! Yay! I care about what I call my 'plastic footprint' too. There seems to be a lot of plastic used and discarded around Cannabis growing. Plastic is killing the planets organisms pretty fast. It's also part of the history of the 'repression' of Cannabis - so all the more reason to minimise plastic (and plastic waste) when growing!

Old plastic bottles make good gentle watering 'cans' as well, with some holes drilled in the lid. Lovely gentle, controllable shower from right above the soil ..

Awesome stuff! Thank you thank you thank you Gee! That is exactly what intrigued me about the hempy bucket and why I chose to use it. But this sub surface irrigation seems like the best of both world's! Cant wait to see these girls grow :)

Cool - we're currently having wicking-beds built for our vege patch. So do you cover crop in your vege patch as well?

I'm a bit confused by that. You talk about the cover crop only being for a top watering situation. Yet, you have some cover crop in your SIPs. Did I miss something.?

Yes I believe you missed someones question. They asked if a cover crop could be used in top water fed situations since I was using SIP's. That's when I posted my pic of the smart pot saying that I top fed that plant and used cover crop. Pretty much it could be used in any situation. Lol. I hope that sounded right. I'm extremely medicated at the moment :)
And yes I do use a cover crop with my veggies.
420-magazine-mobile16673396.jpg

Hard to see but there's some kale, Aloe Vera, chives, stinging nettle, and a bunch of clovers
420-magazine-mobile2102341203.jpg

These are my Diy sips. Not to much going on right now. (Left2Right) I recently planted some tobacco( I want my own blunt wraps :) next is some strawberries and garlic and the far right is a Venus fly trap sitting on top of the Sip.
I live in a town home so no back yard :( more of a urban gardener :)
You will have to excuse my plastic use:(
I try to make sure I reuse,reuse,reuse when dealing with it.
Thank you so much for your interest.

So just a 5 gallon inside of a 5 gallon. I assume you drilled holes in the bottom of the top 5 gal? And does the pvc pipe need to go into the bottom bucket? Or will down to a set of drill holes suffice.

My intrigue is quickly being replaced with obsession

So just a 5 gallon inside of a 5 gallon. I assume you drilled holes in the bottom of the top 5 gal? And does the pvc pipe need to go into the bottom bucket? Or will down to a set of drill holes suffice.

My intrigue is quickly being replaced with obsession .

Yep. A 5gal in a 5gal. The top bucket has holes plus a 3" net pot in the middle. The pvc goes all the way down to the bottom so you need a hole for that as well. Also cut the end at a 45° just to prevent it from getting clogged or sitting flat down. Also on the bottom bucket the one that holds your water you will need to drill a few holes on the side for overflow.
Obsess away. Lol

420-magazine-mobile1671600302.jpg

Here's a look at how Our Pro Models Sunrise/Sunset function works. The pic is based off a 18/6 "veg" light cycle.
You can see our lights wake the plants up with UV and slowly adding more to the spectrum where it flatlines at its peak then slowly tapers back down ending in IR.
I don't want to spam up the Grow journal too much. So please come check us out Growant.com

420-magazine-mobile1671600302.jpg

Here's a look at how Our Pro Models Sunrise/Sunset function works. The pic is based off a 18/6 "veg" light cycle.
You can see our lights wake the plants up with UV and slowly adding more to the spectrum where it flatlines at its peak then slowly tapers back down ending in IR.
I don't want to spam up the Grow journal too much. So please come check us out Growant.com
I'll be checkin those veg lights out for that tent I'll be getting going in a month ;)

Cheers Gee!

Excited to watch this grow Gee. Keen to see the performance of the lights. I care about my carbon footprint too and am hoping to use the sun as much as possible going forward. ☀️ The low power use of the GROWant lights makes me think one out of season grow a year might be ok - I have one going now but it the jury is out on how effective my light is (it's an older model - I can probably do better!)

It's great to hear folk talk about their carbon footprint and minimising waste! Yay! I care about what I call my 'plastic footprint' too. There seems to be a lot of plastic used and discarded around Cannabis growing. Plastic is killing the planets organisms pretty fast. It's also part of the history of the 'repression' of Cannabis - so all the more reason to minimise plastic (and plastic waste) when growing!

Old plastic bottles make good gentle watering 'cans' as well, with some holes drilled in the lid. Lovely gentle, controllable shower from right above the soil ..

Hey Amy ,

I was just referring to the beneficial bacteria product Root Webstar by OG Teas out of California. It's a great product, though I admit I have limited experience.

Feel free to drop by my journal to see how I applied it to my grow!

Some additional notes on the cover crop:

Clover makes a great crop because it has that delightful nitrogen-fixing feature, so you can clip the clover, drop it on the surface of the soil and it'll feed nitrogen to the soil community.

But the cover crop also offers protection from the blazing light of the artificial sun, allowing the fungi that eat up the mulch to get at their job without fear of being fried. The roots of the cover crop create an ongoing attachment to the myco, so that when you harvest your blooming beauties the soil community goes on. Those little fungi communities can take up to four months to get really well-established, and you don't want to lose them, if it can be helped.

Nice cover crop seeds Gee. BAS was one of my favorite stores that I used to go to for supplies when I was growing LOS.

Some additional notes on the cover crop:

Clover makes a great crop because it has that delightful nitrogen-fixing feature, so you can clip the clover, drop it on the surface of the soil and it'll feed nitrogen to the soil community.

But the cover crop also offers protection from the blazing light of the artificial sun, allowing the fungi that eat up the mulch to get at their job without fear of being fried. The roots of the cover crop create an ongoing attachment to the myco, so that when you harvest your blooming beauties the soil community goes on. Those little fungi communities can take up to four months to get really well-established, and you don't want to lose them, if it can be helped.

Nice cover crop seeds Gee. BAS was one of my favorite stores that I used to go to for supplies when I was growing LOS.

Ur awesome Sue. Have a great weekend :)

Back
Top Bottom