Growing Two Kinds Of White Russian

iamabsolem

Hi there,

I decided to grow two kinds of White Russian after my grow of a single WW was successful last year. So first of all I used greenhouse and serious seeds, as my after my last grow I was amazed by the positive power of WW and I wanted to grow a strain that is even increased in THC. So I decided to use Kalashnikova by Greenhouse Seed Co. and White Russian by Serious Seeds. As I didn't know which one of the two is the "Original"...

My goal was to achieve the 1000w per m2 with a 150w hps on 0.14m2. But I found out that seedlings react on too much light with red stems, so I bought a 100w hps and have been using it since veg. day 14 instead of the 150w one. The red stems went away. But I'll re-calbe my ballast and use the 150w one again as soon as they've grown taller. Furthermore I use a 15w fluorescent tube with 1000k so they also get some blue light since veg. day 14.

I started in a 3l pot until the third set of true leaves arrived and repotted, although it's automatics, into a 50l grownest that fills up my whole tent. The serious seeds didn't mind being repotted, but the greenhouse kind did, it almost stopped growth since 5 days. But it also grows a slight bit every day...

I use no fertilizer but batmix since I repotted them, that is pre-fertilized soil. Plagron mentions that it's pre-fertilized for at least 12 weeks, so I soleily bought a mineralic bloom fertilizer of the same brand for later on. Atm I donn't fertilize them as they're still very small, but a single time that was the last watering before repotting when I used a generous dose of a cheap fertilizer from the supermarket.

I will show you a photo now, but I know what you will say. 0.14m2 is way too little space for 7 plants and I know that. What can I say, I didn't think that 7 out of 9 seeds would sprout and I didn't want to kill any...

I'm a novize grower and I'm looking forward to reading tips and advice from you so I can adjust parameters for a better result. Thanks in advance

Greetings Marty

I didn't know which one of the two is the "Original"...

Serious Seeds; it is one of Simon's creations. Although I do not know whether what you'd get today is the same as the original.

Hi TorturedSoul,

I know that it's a widespread fact and I recieved an email from Simon from Serious Seeds where he pointed out that the Greenhouse Seed Co. came up with their Kalashnikova much later.

But let me make another point. If serious used an awarded clone of the WW to cross with their AK-47... Well, and that's what I wanted to say because it's also a widespread fact that greenhouse won their awards with WW. So I asked Simon if they collaborated, but obviously they didn't.

Greetings Marty

PS.: I forgot to write about the light cycles I use. The fluorescent tube is turned on day and night. The hps is turned on 16h a day. It is placed about a meter (40 inches) away from the plant tips. And the fluorenscent tube is placed about 5 centimeters (2 inches) away from the plant tips.

Hi everyone,

I actually wanted to wait for two weeks or so until I make an update but you just have to take a look at how much my plants have grown in only 2 days.

I thought about ripping some of them out but keeping at least two so everyone has got enough space to develop freely. And I will start using my filter and vent soon, because it stinks like a greenhouse in here straight from my wardrobe and I cant explain that to anyone.

IMG_20220314_125131.jpg

## update ##

I switched back to 150w today and started using my filter and vent. I can't find the data on m3/h anywhere but they're from a bigger grow room and I believe the volume is more than enough. It will stay turned on 24/7 if I can stand the noise. The only thing that is weird, as you're gonna see at midnight when the lights turn on and I will make a pic, is that the filter stands on the floor and the vent is outside the tent. Any other suggestions on how to place the two in order to support good light distribution? Somewhere above the reflector is not an option as I've got limited space.

I didn't rip out any plants but the fluosescent tube I put away, to avoid them growing too much of a bush.

I flooded my tent today when watering and I hope none of the electrics were damaged.

I know I'm late (on the other hand it's afternoon in Cali so you shouldn't mind :) but the lights didn't turn on and I had to fix it. The cable wasn't fully inserted but there were no technical issues other than that thank god. As you can see one of the two standing right behind the others has got a burnt leaf from the day I put it on the light rail. I know that's stupid enough it's just layed on there for a couple of hours and instantly got burnt by the heat of the rail.
IMG_20220318_003406.jpg

## update ##

I switched back to 150w today and started using my filter and vent. I can't find the data on m3/h anywhere but they're from a bigger grow room and I believe the volume is more than enough. It will stay turned on 24/7 if I can stand the noise. The only thing that is weird, as you're gonna see at midnight when the lights turn on and I will make a pic, is that the filter stands on the floor and the vent is outside the tent. Any other suggestions on how to place the two in order to support good light distribution? Somewhere above the reflector is not an option as I've got limited space.

I didn't rip out any plants but the fluosescent tube I put away, to avoid them growing too much of a bush.

I flooded my tent today when watering and I hope none of the electrics were damaged.

I know I'm late (on the other hand it's afternoon in Cali so you shouldn't mind :) but the lights didn't turn on and I had to fix it. The cable wasn't fully inserted but there were no technical issues other than that thank god. As you can see one of the two standing right behind the others has got a burnt leaf from the day I put it on the light rail. I know that's stupid enough it's just layed on there for a couple of hours and instantly got burnt by the heat of the rail.
IMG_20220318_003406.jpg
If it was me.... I'd put those on 12/12 real soon. Going to be way over crowded in there. Have you considered the RH level & chance of WPM or Bud Rot when it gets that crowded ? Air flow will be next to impossible.

Exile the entire filter system to the outside of the plant box, put that joker on the roof and be done with it. Mine is inside, but can be flip flopped to the outside if my broads get hectic.

I'd put those on 12/12 real soon.
I don't need to put them on 12/12 because they are automatics, they flower independent of light cycles as you know.

Have you considered the RH level
I'm afraid I haven't got a device to find it out, neither a device to find out acidity level nor electric capacities of the water. Is this very important if I use pre-fertilized soil and tap water in the first weeks? But back to the first point you mentioned, what I did now was to rip 4 out and transplant them to a pot near my window. Maybe I can grow them outside somewhere but it will be very tricky.
IMG_20220318_151244.jpg

Exile the entire filter system to the outside of the plant box, put that joker on the roof and be done with it. Mine is inside, but can be flip flopped to the outside if my broads get hectic.
I spent some time doing that now. The filter is now on the roof - I'll show you a pic. but it means theres a lot less space for the "broads" to grow.

IMG_20220318_171910.jpg
IMG_20220318_172018.jpg

But they would still have to mature enough before they'd start putting out pistils.
I found pistils on the taller plant today. I run my lights 18 h and more, so why would they start to flower this early and does it affect my harvest? The other one also has some about the Kalashnikova I'm not sure.
IMG_20220319_195814.jpg

IMG_20220319_200049.jpg

+does it mean I can start using my bloom feeding now?

The plants are just showing you they are female. They aren't flowering. You can start flower if you want; or continue to Veg till they are bigger. Won't hurt anything.
Ooops, Just seen those are Auto's. They are starting to flower. Must be somewhere near 21 days old.
Yes, you can feed Bloom Nutes. What light are you using & how many watts is it ? I'd hit it with 600 watt HPS or LED Equivalent if possible.

I don't have any lamp or ballast of this size. but they stand on only 0.16m2 so I get close to the 1000w/m2/plant-rule. However, they are 3 plants. I could well get some light source with that power, maybe LED to save energy. But do you think it's necessary? I use 150w hps atm hanging 2 feet above the plants and a reflector and reflective walls.

I don't have any lamp or ballast of this size. but they stand on only 0.16m2 so I get close to the 1000w/m2/plant-rule. However, they are 3 plants. I could well get some light source with that power, maybe LED to save energy. But do you think it's necessary? I use 150w hps atm hanging 2 feet above the plants and a reflector and reflective walls.
You can grow with the light you have. The yield would be bigger with more power.

You can grow with the light you have. The yield would be bigger with more power.
I'm thinking about using a bigger light. It would probably raise even the cannabinoid-content of the yield. Let's say I use 400w instead of 600w to save energy that would raise temperature in the tent. I can control it with my vent as it's a very strong one. But what if the plants start to stretch and get too close to the lamp? I'm afraid they could be burnt. I've read a rule-of-thumb for that question on a different page that I will copy-paste.

150W240W400W600W1000W

20-30 cm (8–12")

25–35 cm (10–14")

30–48 cm (12–19")
35–64 cm (14–25")41–79 cm (16–31")

Following the table I would have to take a distance from lamp to plants of at least 12''. But I've only got 2' and I don't know how much they will stretch. And on the other hand the energy prices are raising immensively nowadays and I think back to my last years electricity bill, that made my eyes fall out when I read it.

All the best,
Marty

Your grow space does look a little small which limits what you can do. I'd still want at least 250 watts in that size area during Flower. A Mars Hydro TSW2000 would really kick butt in that tent. Mars is by far my favorite medium grade light.
I hear you loud & clear on the electric bill. My bill ran $200 -$250 mo. before I started growing. Now it's $400 mo. So I added $150 per mo. in electric to grow. But I think, I'd spend even more on weed at the dispensary; so I'm still saving on the overall cost of the weed. It was running me about $100 or more a week at the dispensary which is at least $400 mo. so I'm gaining in the long run. I usually grow 4-5 plants at a time & get 5 oz. or more per plant so 25 oz. + per harvest. 25 oz. would cost me a lot more than the $600 I spent on electric for the grow. When you look at it this way it makes more since.

I'm afraid it wouldn't fit in. I visited the producers page and read the following about product size.
"Product Size 561*499.5*68MM" And I always buy lamps (and soil of course due to the shipping costs) by going there and getting it myself, so they don't break while delivery. So that minimizes my options there are 2 growshops around here, both are around 30 miles (an hour to drive) away. One of them one day told me that HPS/MH would die out soon and he'd have this very cheap LED-grow-light:
04-01-0340-va_maxibright-daylight-led-200w~2.png

And the other growshop also sells lots of LED-grow-lights, but non of them is a Mars Hyrdo TSW 2000 I'm afraid. But I found one that is even cheaper than the one above looking like this:
atum-panel-480-led-gebraucht.jpg

Which one do you think is better? They are both around $300 in my currency.

I watch a vid about the topic now that lasts almost an hour, and there are two more to go. I find it very informative and interesting, although it advertises the product of that producer of course. If you speak german have a look:

I got a couple spider farmer 1000s and they're brighter than hell, cost me $100 each on sale around black Friday last year, had to distance em from my girls so they don't roast into green confetti. Just my setup, YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom