Hempy Headquarters

I think if someone rinses most of the finer dirt off the roots (I wouldn’t worry about anything chunky tangled up in the roots), transplanting into perlite should be okay. Where problems may arise is if too many fines fill in the reservoir or retain too much water/impede drainage. The worst I’ve seen was just plopping the entire peat ball into perlite - it just stayed wet.

I picked thru the roots pretty well and then dunked them repeatedly in a pot of water. I'm pretty confident I got the vast majority. Hopefully I wasn't too hard on the roots but I guess we'll find out soon enough.

I abuse my plants sometimes. They still surprise me, usually. Some are finicky but some even seem to start producing more resin when I hurt them a little.
May I photo dump? I apologize for my pic quality in advance. My eyes get useless after eating 2 or 3 homemade candies. They are just chock full of THC. And they make me dumb as hell.
First is my veg area mess.
Two mother's in need of a serious trimming.

Various stages of 2nd and 3rd run cuts.
2 autos just because. Pineapple express is starting to set and stack quickly.
The Tangie is a bigger plant and takes a little longer. It's definitely been a heavy yielder Everytime I've grown one.
And then the flower tent. Man. I'm a bit sad. We have been having a bit of heat these past few weeks. Twice while I've been at work the temps have spiked in the high 90s for an extended amount of time. Top that with my pH pen crapping out right after I calibrated it on the 1st. I'm not sure how long it was bad but my big beautiful Lemon Amnesia and Strawberry Amnesia and Cindy 99 were fried and the heat wave amped it up by making them suck up a way too acidic solution way too quickly. It's night and day between those 3 plants and the others I started after the heat died down.
I'm used to scrogging so this in and out perpetual style growing feels weird and I'm still figuring it out. The dowel cross braces are my attempt to maximize my footprint and up my yields.
Mars hydro lights can definitely grow some nice dense buds but they are still hot to run at full or almost full power in the summer.
I think I'm making sense? Maybe? Did I get pertinent information across? I have been up for 48 hours now. I worked an extra half shift overnight and spent the day family-ing.
Thanks

20210717_014619.jpg

20210717_014608.jpg

20210717_014600.jpg

20210717_014519.jpg

20210717_014544.jpg

20210717_014415_HDR.jpg

20210717_014408.jpg

20210717_014347.jpg

20210717_014328_HDR.jpg

20210717_014228_HDR.jpg

Those crispy plants look like they are far enough along to hopefully not make too much of a difference? Good luck bringing them thru the home stretch.

I've wondered if hempy makes the mothers grow too quickly, and whether keeping them in a soil based mix would help to slow them down. Assuming I can get my hempy clone game down, I'm planning on not even keeping mothers. Just roll thru the strains, refreshing them as I go.

my big beautiful Lemon Amnesia and Strawberry Amnesia and Cindy 99 were fried
I’ve done that too. The leaves look toasty, but the buds still look good.

Now, the only time I check pH is when I am bumping up the nutrient dose - and I calibrate the pen immediately before that. After determining how much pH down is needed at that level, I just keep at that amount until next bump.

Nice plants on the whole! :thumb:

This post gets me.

I've already purchased 6 slim waste baskets, that I have no intention of using any time soon.

But damnit, they'll fit so we'll together when I do, lol.
Today I followed @Rickle Piiiiick's strategy and picked up a few 2g/8L Lowes buckets and a big bag of perlite. The buckets are exactly like the standard 5g version, just smaller. Perfect.

I have no use for them at the moment and it will be many months before I do, but they were exactly what I was looking for so I now have them in inventory for when I do.

I've seen the monsters @FelipeBlu grows in the 5 gallon ones so I know that size is well beyond anything I can have in my cab. So, the 2g should be just about perfect. I'll just have to figure out how long I need to veg to be the right size in flower.

I found some low profile, heavy duty 10gal tubs on sale at the local home store. They're perfect for 2 clones to get plenty big and it cuts my veg times down. I use those 2 gal ones too. They work good for sog and will grow nice fat baseball bat buds.
I say, " I need buckets and perlite". My girlfriend says, " you ALWAYS need buckets and perlite".

I'll just have to figure out how long I need to veg to be the right size in flower.
This was at about 7 weeks veg (about 3 weeks in a 2 gallon bucket). That would probably be a good time to flip in a tent.
1626563488907.jpeg

This was at about 7 weeks veg (about 3 weeks in a 2 gallon bucket). That would probably be a good time to flip in a tent.
1626563488907.jpeg
Thank you. That's very helpful.

So, four weeks in a solo cup and then three in the bucket?

I want to get my perpetual going again to harvest one plant per month so need to plan out how far out to take cuts.

I probably could have transplanted at 3 weeks, but felt 4 weeks in the cup gave me better roots before the move.
Ok, thanks.

I'm wanting to go to a monthly rotation. So, 4 weeks for rooting plus veg in solo cup, then 4 weeks in the final, larger container and then off to flower.

So, if I can get them rooted in 7-10 days that'd give me three weeks of veg in the solo cup, is what I'm thinking and hoping for.

It looks like @Kismet is running a hempy grow. And, Brett Blaze, Furcifer, Modest Grower, and XiwsX561 are all running hydro grows.

@FelipeBlu I'm thinking about starting some seeds in hempy. I know the prevailing wisdom is to water the seedlings daily or even several times a day until the roots hit the rez but, given the wicking ability of perlite, that seems kind of pointless. Unless there's some other reason that I'm missing.

Your thoughts?

Starting a seed in perlite hempy in a solo cup, you can water every 2-3 days - just to refresh the reservoir. The rest of the time, wicking keeps the perlite moist around the seed.
I think this was my problem in addition to germinating in a coco puck. The few places I could find that discussed watering early on in hempy, seemed to suggest multiple times per day as soon as they sprout. I water logged 2 seedlings before I realized just how well perlite can wick and hold water.

I used to water every day - even when I didn’t need to - but I have gotten lazy. By its nature, perlite provides plenty of air to the roots without having to bring it in by watering. So now it’s just about refreshing the reservoir when the plants are too small to empty it within 3 days.

When it gets to where you have to water every day, you will know that you can up-pot.

Back
Top Bottom