Honest question: What happened to weed we had in USA from 2001 to 2008?

Alphator

420 Member
So I started smoking weed in 2003. I was younger didn't know better but regardless I enjoyed it a lot. I quit after around 2007 and started for 6 months in 2014 up until 2 years ago where I started using frequently. I live in VA is semi legal here and you can grow up to 4 plants I believe. However every vendor in VA has the crappiest weed I have ever seen. Lots of this stuff don't even look, smell or smoke like the weed I grew up smoking from 2003 to 2007 this stuff barely gets you high and if it does it only last 50 minutes.

I read Monsanto bought all the seeds for cannabis in USA a while back I wonder if this is true? The bud structure of cannabis isn't the same anymore either so it makes me wonder?

I remember been high af from mids back in the day. I also remember og kush ak47 GDP blue dream northern lights purple urkle. Whatever happened to all those strains? Even when you can find a blue dream strain is not true to the genetics. Why is that? What happened?

Is it just Virginia? Because from 4 or 6 sources they all have exotic tier flower but from experience the effects and genetics are very subpar.

Is there anywhere in the USA that still has real cannabis like the type I grew up smoking? Is it just Virginia? What am I doing wrong?

I am tempted to find a plug in Mexico and order some mid seeds and grow it cause the muds I was getting early 2000s is 10x better than any of these new strain names I get in VA

These are 2 pics of the flower I can get in VA. It doesn't look like weed I grew up with the nug structure is different and the high is almost none existent. Also the smell? Where's the OG blue dream? AK47? NO one has them.

Do I need to move to California? Cause this is disheartening. No matter what vendor you go to in VA it's like they're all growing the same BS seeds. Buying weed that doesn't smell like weed and doesn't get me high feels like part of me is dead.

Pictures of local weed in VA for reference. Stuff just lacks something.

Screenshot_20230111-115236_Telegram.jpg

Screenshot_20230111-115225_Telegram.jpg

@"Alphator, wow, interesting reading there.

I'm not aware of the Monsanto thing, I know they are a giant firm in agriculture and other products, but no idea about them getting into the cannabis business. Though not a bad idea now that thc and cbd are getting popular and accepted. I buy my seeds from Europe through one of our sponsors, even though I live in the US.

As far as some of the strains you mentioned, I concur about finding certain strains that just don't taste or provide that high we were accustomed to at one time, Blue Dream being one. I've been looking for months for the strain seed, Dr. Grinspoon, no one has it.

I'm thinking that these strains your mentioned have been crossed with other strains so often that somewhere down the line the original seed (the mother) is no longer around. May she RIP.

Another subject is the high. My thoughts is the thc keeps gets higher due to those cross breeding's. My history of smoking goes back to the 1960's. The smoke back then was no-way as potent as it is now a days. I can only speak for myself, but I smoke so much (I'm retired and don't answer to anyone) that the only time I become "un-high" is when I'm sleeping at night. Then start over with my morning cup of coffee.

So, maybe some of our sponsors can assist you with some of the questions, try them. At the top of the page, to the left of your name you can find a pull down list of them.

Take care my friend and may I give you a "Welcome aboard to 420", and keep the messages coming.

I read Monsanto bought all the seeds for cannabis in USA a while back I wonder if this is true? The bud structure of cannabis isn't the same anymore either so it makes me wonder?
Not quite true, what Monsanto is doing is developing new strains of GMO cannabis, so if you grow their seeds to harvest, if you get any seeds or breed them, you technically cannot plant them, and have to buy new seeds from them. Probably not an issue for home growers, but if growing for profit, they will go after you if you try and grow seeds they've developed without paying them. Don't know how that would work with clones.

It's the same in Massachusetts the stuff I was getting when medical became legal here was really good. Now it's ok and every once and awhile it's good. and why do the strains have to change so much, most of my favorites are gone. don't know what I'll do when Gorilla Glue dissappears, since I'm an old guy who's kind of a half-wit I'll blame it on the young people who have to be constantly giving the new an latest thing or they get bored. It also could be the demand has gotten so large and growers have become more corporate the bottom line is more important than the quality of the cannabis

Also in Va and the weed we had early 2000s had way better flavor and high then the stuff that’s out now.
Exactly! Like I have these 2oz and there's like No effects. Looks pretty for smalls but no high at all. The smell doesn't smell like weed it smells like some type of edible herb from the spice cabinet I mean its terrible. Its not the first time either. Basically all the weed I've gotten here since I moved is that way.
In NC I had Blue Dream in 2014 and it was 100% authentic pheno same with Super Lemon Haze had it 1 time when i lived in NC and it was 100% Pheno and Super potent. Same goes for Purple Urkle 100% pheno flavor smoke effects smell and all. If I can get my hands on some mid seeds from Mexico I am probably gonna grow them this summer.

This stuff here doesn't get you high at all.
20230105-184300.jpg

20230105-170729-1.jpg

20230105-170626.jpg

It's the same in Massachusetts the stuff I was getting when medical became legal here was really good. Now it's ok and every once and awhile it's good. and why do the strains have to change so much, most of my favorites are gone. don't know what I'll do when Gorilla Glue dissappears, since I'm an old guy who's kind of a half-wit I'll blame it on the young people who have to be constantly giving the new an latest thing or they get bored. It also could be the demand has gotten so large and growers have become more corporate the bottom line is more important than the quality of the cannabis
Yeah its weird man I have a few people that have it available and even tho they all have different strains all the flower looks the same just lacks that Genuine Cannabis smell and look I remember. The effects? none existent literally. If you see the flower I posted above it looks pretty for smalls but zero effects.

@"Alphator, wow, interesting reading there.

I'm not aware of the Monsanto thing, I know they are a giant firm in agriculture and other products, but no idea about them getting into the cannabis business. Though not a bad idea now that thc and cbd are getting popular and accepted. I buy my seeds from Europe through one of our sponsors, even though I live in the US.

As far as some of the strains you mentioned, I concur about finding certain strains that just don't taste or provide that high we were accustomed to at one time, Blue Dream being one. I've been looking for months for the strain seed, Dr. Grinspoon, no one has it.

I'm thinking that these strains your mentioned have been crossed with other strains so often that somewhere down the line the original seed (the mother) is no longer around. May she RIP.

Another subject is the high. My thoughts is the thc keeps gets higher due to those cross breeding's. My history of smoking goes back to the 1960's. The smoke back then was no-way as potent as it is now a days. I can only speak for myself, but I smoke so much (I'm retired and don't answer to anyone) that the only time I become "un-high" is when I'm sleeping at night. Then start over with my morning cup of coffee.

So, maybe some of our sponsors can assist you with some of the questions, try them. At the top of the page, to the left of your name you can find a pull down list of them.

Take care my friend and may I give you a "Welcome aboard to 420", and keep the messages coming.
Thank you glad to be here.

Weed isn't the same as twenty years ago because you aren't 18 anymore. Modern dispensary weed can be good, but a lot of it isn't. Homegrown is the way.
That doesn't make sense tho how could I have smoked for 6-7 years mostly swag and mexican brick weed and mids and every single time it got me high as heck! but nothing for the past 2 years ever got me high? makes no sense.
But I agree I am gonna grow my own this summer. Just need to find some good seeds because everything going around is garbage would love some of the OG strains with the OG bud structure that actually is thick not just puffy weed.

Anyway appreciate it

That doesn't make sense tho how could I have smoked for 6-7 years mostly swag and mexican brick weed and mids and every single time it got me high as heck! but nothing for the past 2 years ever got me high? makes no sense.
But I agree I am gonna grow my own this summer. Just need to find some good seeds because everything going around is garbage would love some of the OG strains with the OG bud structure that actually is thick not just puffy weed.

Anyway appreciate it
If you're a daily smoker, try quitting for a week, you do build up a "tolerance" to THC.

So I started smoking weed in 2003. I was younger didn't know better but regardless I enjoyed it a lot. I quit after around 2007 and started for 6 months in 2014 up until 2 years ago where I started using frequently. I live in VA is semi legal here and you can grow up to 4 plants I believe. However every vendor in VA has the crappiest weed I have ever seen. Lots of this stuff don't even look, smell or smoke like the weed I grew up smoking from 2003 to 2007 this stuff barely gets you high and if it does it only last 50 minutes.

I remember been high af from mids back in the day. I also remember og kush ak47 GDP blue dream northern lights purple urkle. Whatever happened to all those strains? Even when you can find a blue dream strain is not true to the genetics. Why is that? What happened?

Is it just Virginia? Because from 4 or 6 sources they all have exotic tier flower but from experience the effects and genetics are very subpar.

Is there anywhere in the USA that still has real cannabis like the type I grew up smoking? Is it just Virginia? What am I doing wrong?

I am tempted to find a plug in Mexico and order some mid seeds and grow it cause the muds I was getting early 2000s is 10x better than any of these new strain names I get in VA

These are 2 pics of the flower I can get in VA. It doesn't look like weed I grew up with the nug structure is different and the high is almost none existent. Also the smell? Where's the OG blue dream? AK47? NO one has them.

Do I need to move to California? Cause this is disheartening. No matter what vendor you go to in VA it's like they're all growing the same BS seeds. Buying weed that doesn't smell like weed and doesn't get me high feels like part of me is dead.

Pictures of local weed in VA for reference. Stuff just lacks something.

Screenshot_20230111-115236_Telegram.jpg

Screenshot_20230111-115225_Telegram.jpg
I only bought from a dispensary a couple of times and even though it was high $ it was A grade. Taxes are way too high in Chicago. CL🍀

If you're a daily smoker, try quitting for a week, you do build up a "tolerance" to THC.
that's insane! i haven't smoked in 3 weeks I don't understand why most ppl just don't believe me that weed now a days isn't as potent IDK its probably just me tbh. I swear its the weed not me lol how can I have a tolerance if I haven't smoked in 3 weeks until now and the weed I get doesn't get me high. That's the weeds problem not mine hahah
But not trying to sound rude sorry if it comes across that way just hate my situation that i keep buying weed that doesn't do anything. Sure I only pay $140 an oz most the times but back in the day $100 oz of Mids would get me blasted straight gas. Seems odd.

I only bought from a dispensary a couple of times and even though it was high $ it was A grade. Taxes are way too high in Chicago. CL🍀
yeah no way I am paying $200 for what they call "High Grade" if it doesn't get me high. I am gonna start growing my own this summer. If it was High quality bud that got me high I'd pay $200 a zip any day! but not for this DC stuff going around.

That doesn't make sense tho how could I have smoked for 6-7 years mostly swag and mexican brick weed and mids and every single time it got me high as heck!

Maybe because you were getting high off the chemicals they spray on it? Shitty brick weed from 20 years ago does not even come close the legitimate potency of properly grown homegrown today.

The 'pro' weed they are selling in VA doesn't get you high because they harvest too soon and they machine trim which strips away trichomes. My experience with 'pro' weed has been hit and miss. Sometimes it's fire. But there have been several times that I purchased a 25%+ THC strain that lacked adequate potency. Not sure how a 25% strain fails to get me high.

On the other hand, I haven't grown anything that didn't get me high. Some of the strains I've grown have been incredibly potent, even for a daily user. It's fun to give less frequent users a sample bud of the homegrown fire. They notice the difference immediately.

Nostalgia is incredibly powerful and your mind purposefully tints your memories. You’ll always believe something was better in hindsight. When you couple the psychological and physiological effects of a memory system designed to protect you, with the fruits of profiteering you’re left believing your youth was better. It wasn’t. It’s just like the old heads that claim their seed and stick heavy bags were better than todays products. In their minds this may be true, but in reality it’s not.

If you spend your life chasing feelings you had when you were younger you will always be disappointed. The stuff you buy in dispensaries and from commercial growers is grown for profit, not for your enjoyment. The best thing you can do is to grow yourself and hone in on the specific flavors and feelings you enjoy and turn them up to the max. You’re not going to find what you’re looking for in mass produced products.

I like to think of it like this.. the very first time I kissed someone for real it was a mind blowing experience like none other and made me elated.

I do not feel that same mind blowing elation today, even though today the kissing is much much better and leads to much much better things than some sloppy awkward moment in a basement.

every few wks we get the same thread. the years will change ... " oh weed was so much better in '67,'72, '89, '96, '04, '11" and on and on ... the only difference is the age of the poster. it's always the same reason. you out chroniced and toleranced the potency levels as you got older.

by all measures weed has gotten more potent over the years. you never got stuff with 20% or higher thc counts 20 yrs ago.

Back
Top Bottom