Honest question: What happened to weed we had in USA from 2001 to 2008?

So I started smoking weed in 2003. I was younger didn't know better but regardless I enjoyed it a lot. I quit after around 2007 and started for 6 months in 2014 up until 2 years ago where I started using frequently. I live in VA is semi legal here and you can grow up to 4 plants I believe. However every vendor in VA has the crappiest weed I have ever seen. Lots of this stuff don't even look, smell or smoke like the weed I grew up smoking from 2003 to 2007 this stuff barely gets you high and if it does it only last 50 minutes.

I read Monsanto bought all the seeds for cannabis in USA a while back I wonder if this is true? The bud structure of cannabis isn't the same anymore either so it makes me wonder?

I remember been high af from mids back in the day. I also remember og kush ak47 GDP blue dream northern lights purple urkle. Whatever happened to all those strains? Even when you can find a blue dream strain is not true to the genetics. Why is that? What happened?

Is it just Virginia? Because from 4 or 6 sources they all have exotic tier flower but from experience the effects and genetics are very subpar.

Is there anywhere in the USA that still has real cannabis like the type I grew up smoking? Is it just Virginia? What am I doing wrong?

I am tempted to find a plug in Mexico and order some mid seeds and grow it cause the muds I was getting early 2000s is 10x better than any of these new strain names I get in VA

These are 2 pics of the flower I can get in VA. It doesn't look like weed I grew up with the nug structure is different and the high is almost none existent. Also the smell? Where's the OG blue dream? AK47? NO one has them.

Do I need to move to California? Cause this is disheartening. No matter what vendor you go to in VA it's like they're all growing the same BS seeds. Buying weed that doesn't smell like weed and doesn't get me high feels like part of me is dead.

Pictures of local weed in VA for reference. Stuff just lacks something.

Screenshot_20230111-115236_Telegram.jpg

Screenshot_20230111-115225_Telegram.jpg
Monsanto AG didn't start working with cannabis until 2018ish. Several family members just retired from the AG headquarters. They did gather seeds but no where near cornering the market. The problem is that as hippies, we selected strains based on the experience. Now that it is commercialized, growers are selecting for productivity and profit. That is why the stuff from Mexico was considered low quality. It was grown for profit. If you order from a big commercial company, you will get commercial plants. Where they are located has nothing to do with it. Look at coffee shops in Amsterdam if you want old true strains. Have had some true original strains from Nirvana. Grew their Muoi side by side with my seed stock from the 70s. Same smoke but their plant was healthier than mine.

The new hybrids will yield 2oz per square foot in 5 weeks. I am getting a little over .5 OZ per square foot every 14 weeks. Two puffs off mine and I am good and happy for the evening. Dispensary grade, I smoke like a broke stove all night and never reach a happy high.

times are a changing no doubt and once there was a time when homegrown was a dirty word, really dirty, not so anymore.

I’d say the majority of growers here engage in practice known as bud washing… yup that’s right.… we dunka de buds in de water… right after chop. Then hang for 4 hours to drip dry then process as normal.

Ditto everyone above - it will be the best nugs you ever smoked. Nope water doesn’t harm your buds or knock off the trichomes as long as you complete the dry & cure stages. You would be amazed to see how a clean bucket of water turns real nasty after your first wash. Most do 3 bucket deal- first bucket is wash next 2 are for rinse.

anywho dispensary bud will never touch what we do…
Were you serious or sarcastic with bud washing? Maybe I did something wrong. I split a moui plant in two right after chopping down. Half went strait to drying room and half dunked into a new 50 gallon trash can of cool, not cold, water. Left it soak for 60 seconds. Then hung it to drip and dry. The citrus mango smell and flavor is all but gone. There is almost no energetic high with the washed bud and general potency was lower. Not a placebo effect because 4 different people, without me letting them know it was any different, said the same thing. They thought I mislabeled the bud.

Were you serious or sarcastic with bud washing? Maybe I did something wrong. I split a moui plant in two right after chopping down. Half went strait to drying room and half dunked into a new 50 gallon trash can of cool, not cold, water. Left it soak for 60 seconds. Then hung it to drip and dry. The citrus mango smell and flavor is all but gone. There is almost no energetic high with the washed bud and general potency was lower. Not a placebo effect because 4 different people, without me letting them know it was any different, said the same thing. They thought I mislabeled the bud.

usually it's a 3 bucket method. can't see straight water doing much as it won't dissolve trichomes on it's own. it's a good observation, i'm curious what others say.

i think there's a bud wash thread, or it might be burried in @InTheShed 's thread. maybe post there or have a look as well.

yes sir dead serious about bud washing,

full disclosure indoor but dont run filtration extraction but got plenty other fans going and growing in basement, so my getup is defs more dusty than most perhaps. But look at dust buildup on fans & filters and then think about any foliar… ipm or otherwise

Ditto trichs are stuck lIke glue and not water soluble, it takes steam, flash freeze or solvent. Think about it - you can’t clean trim scissors with water - right? plus once you see how nasty that first bucket of wash water is after one plant and once you taste primo clean bud seriously man you will kick you own ass for not doing it sooner.

I don’t use the baking soda & lemon juice in first bucket either, I simply sterilize 3 buckets and use lukewarm water in all 3 buckets. Every branch or cola stays dunked for about 5 minutes in each bucket. There is a recommendation in the thread for using a bottle of H2O2 in first 5 gallon bucket to loosen any residual pests if one so desires.

even if I grew in greenhouse or clean room enviro I’d still wash every bit of my produce - dammit that split the page heres link Bud washing

i will add that any plastic coming from overseas is notoriously nasty. bought new garden hose and after 6 months use it still smells like chemicals and the bucket foams up every time I use that hose.

Yup, I've been bitching about my inability lately and you're right.
I'm sure tolerance is the case with me. I vape during the day and eat decarbed before bed and sleep great. I'd love to have those times again when I could have a toke and get 'lift off' but in those much younger days we only got weed intermittently. These days however, I sleep great and I live with a perpetual mild buzz. I also feel that having home grown organic herb every day is probably good health wise too, so I am reluctant to take breaks in my usage just to try and obtain my 'former' high levels. I have come to accept it, even though I would still like to get head ripping 'lift off' experiences again.

I'm sure tolerance is the case with me.

there is a liquid that comes in a gel cap that knocks your tolerance to zero for a short period. you crack the cap and use it kinda like a smelling salt, others you can swallow, then smoke a joint, and pow.

i got one from a friend, and it worked busters. i'll have to ask where he got them. i'm leary of what the chemical could be though. comes in a brown or honey colored gel and is a fast evaporating liquid.

edit : did a quick search and found out the active ingredient is a delta 8 thc receptor reset suspended in an oil or alcohol. the alcohol ones you use a sniffer, the oil ones you swallow.

i mighta got that wrong on the sniffer. i see the gel caps to swallow though.

there is a liquid that comes in a gel cap that knocks your tolerance to zero for a short period. you crack the cap and use it kinda like a smelling salt, others you can swallow, then smoke a joint, and pow.

i got one from a friend, and it worked busters. i'll have to ask where he got them. i'm leary of what the chemical could be though. comes in a brown or honey colored gel and is a fast evaporating liquid.

edit : did a quick search and found out the active ingredient is delta 8 thc suspended in an oil or alcohol. the alcohol ones you use a sniffer, the oil ones you swallow.
Thanks Bluter! That would great to 'pre-sniff' or whatever before toking one's favourite strain to get the full effect. I know what you mean about being concerned overall safety of the chemical used. But here in New Zealand it's still prohibition times for keen gardeners, we don't get these latest and greatest things unfortunately.

Thanks Bluter! That would great to 'pre-sniff' or whatever before toking one's favourite strain to get the full effect. I know what you mean about being concerned overall safety of the chemical used. But here in New Zealand it's still prohibition times for keen gardeners, we don't get these latest and greatest things unfortunately.

google cannanda. pretty sure it's a candian product. should ship everywhere. says it's non cannabis botannical terpenes.

yes sir dead serious about bud washing,

full disclosure indoor but dont run filtration extraction but got plenty other fans going and growing in basement, so my getup is defs more dusty than most perhaps. But look at dust buildup on fans & filters and then think about any foliar… ipm or otherwise

Ditto trichs are stuck lIke glue and not water soluble, it takes steam, flash freeze or solvent. Think about it - you can’t clean trim scissors with water - right? plus once you see how nasty that first bucket of wash water is after one plant and once you taste primo clean bud seriously man you will kick you own ass for not doing it sooner.

I don’t use the baking soda & lemon juice in first bucket either, I simply sterilize 3 buckets and use lukewarm water in all 3 buckets. Every branch or cola stays dunked for about 5 minutes in each bucket. There is a recommendation in the thread for using a bottle of H2O2 in first 5 gallon bucket to loosen any residual pests if one so desires.

even if I grew in greenhouse or clean room enviro I’d still wash every bit of my produce - dammit that split the page heres link Bud washing

i will add that any plastic coming from overseas is notoriously nasty. bought new garden hose and after 6 months use it still smells like chemicals and the bucket foams up every time I use that hose.
Maybe I will try another side by side and that was just a fluke. I grow indoors with a double walled clean room. Have to keep the dog hair off the plants cause it sticks like glue. All of my equipment is food or lab grade. Nothing goes on the plants that I can not safely eat by the cup full.

Wow, sounds like really nice setup! Absolutely I’d encourage you to split your next harvest

only growing since late 2019 so still new plus kinda low budget and could definitely improve filtration & air handling- but a clean room whoa I’m impressed! So so jealous of that but sounds like killer planning and execution on your part. I take it it’s not your first rodeo huh??

Threw seeds at dirt in the 70s and started playing with hydro in the 80s so I have had a few harvests. Most of my setup is second hand donations. Aunts and uncles worked for Monsanto greenhouse lab. Mom was master gardener. Son is greenhouse manager for city parks and rec. I own a construction company that always has left over HVAC and building supplies to dispose of. Just a sealed room with 2 entry doors to stop draft when entering. Fans pulling through a hepa filter intake to positive pressure the room with clean air.

Already have a lifetime supply for me and the wife jarred up. Everything I grow now is donated to veterans that can not find or afford the medication they need.

So I started smoking weed in 2003. I was younger

There's a great response from Hamilton Morris, it may be in an episode of Pharmacopeia. Someone asked him why ecstasy these days isn't like it was in the 90's.

He says MDMA hasn't changed, you have!

As you get older you change and the effects are different, he uses the analogy of being able to drink all night when he was younger but now can only have a couple of beers.

j

There's a great response from Hamilton Morris, it may be in an episode of Pharmacopeia. Someone asked him why ecstasy these days isn't like it was in the 90's.

He says MDMA hasn't changed, you have!

As you get older you change and the effects are different, he uses the analogy of being able to drink all night when he was younger but now can only have a couple of beers.

j
Commercialized hybrids really started to become common in the 80s. Those original strains are not as commercially viable. Five months and 16 square feet of space for one 3/4lb harvest is not as profitable. Especially if the plant fails in the fourth month. You can easily get 2 1/2 lb out of the same time and space with the right hybrid.

Had this same debate with friends after a 35 year reunion. Paranoia, headaches, couch lock, or nausea had replaced most of the euphoria when they smoked. I had rolled several joints of direct descendants of the Mowi plant we all smoked together in high school. All 10 people agreed, our chemistry has changed a little over the decades. The new plant strains on the other hand, are like comparing a dinosaur to a hawk. May be a descendant but no where near the same beast. They all had that feel good, get up and dance, giggle fit high they all remembered.

I have 2 quart jars for abandoned/forgotten dispensary weed that was left at my house. When they both get full the oldest one goes to the compost bin. Have only had one worth keeping. A white widow strain.

Paranoia, headaches, couch lock or nausea had replaced most of the euphoria when they smoked.

I started to get all that in my late 20's after over a decade of smoking. It was also when high THC strains hit our shores. Skunk was one strain in particular I started to dislike.

I put it down at the time to all the hydro growers springing up too, I'm willing to bet most didn't flush the chems out before harvesting; long story short I stopped smoking regularly for 2 decades.

Started up again with vaping and found it to be a lot smoother.

Have also read that paranoia is common when you smoke the high THC/low CBD strains. CBD balances out the harsh effects apparently, have also read to chew on a peppercorn if your high goes downhill.

j

I started to get all that in my late 20's after over a decade of smoking. It was also when high THC strains hit our shores. Skunk was one strain in particular I started to dislike.

I put it down at the time to all the hydro growers springing up too, I'm willing to bet most didn't flush the chems out before harvesting; long story short I stopped smoking regularly for 2 decades.

Started up again with vaping and found it to be a lot smoother.

Have also read that paranoia is common when you smoke the high THC/low CBD strains. CBD balances out the harsh effects apparently, have also read to chew on a peppercorn if your high goes downhill.

j
Pushing high THC was really more ignoring everything but the THC. The actual THC never increased by more than the natural variation within a plant. If you start with 50% red and 50% blue, the red concentration is 50%. If you remove half of the blue, you will have 66% red and 33% blue. You have technically increased the red by 16%. You only increased the % of red not the actual amount in your mix. The removal of the blue ie non THC including CBD, limonene (citrus) caryophyllene (pepper) and 100s of others, changes the way and speed your receptors bind THC.

Growing in hydro and not flushing "can" have a positive effect the final product. If you over feed, just like any medium, you will have a sick plant and nasty harsh bud. The most common plant problem is the theory that if a little is good then a lot is great. Over feeding then over flushing. Hydro makes this swing to the extremes way too easy.

Back
Top Bottom