How small is too small?

BlazinOwl

Is it possible to grow in a space that is 80”x24”x30”
(W,D,H)

I’d like to build bench 30” height to put tent’s on top of. My tents are 2x2x48 and soon a 2x4x48. I was going to use below that for storage but started thinking if it’s possible to grow in this?
If so, what would be best type of growing?
I’d rather not to autos.
Maybe veg 8-12 clones for 2-3 weeks and flip to flower?
diagram and drawings to follow later this evening but wanted to hear everyone’s ideas.
Thanks
Blazin Owl

Hi, BlazinOwl-

The 80" and the 24" are fine, but the 30" is a bit "skinny"...
If you figure (apx) 4" for the light, 6" for the pots (if they're small ones)- that's 10", so that leaves you 20" to grow something in..
I think it'd work pretty well, but to hold multiple plants at apx. 17"tall is going to require a lot of training, so you may want to go with just 3 or 4 ,and just train them as wide as possible.

Training 10 or 12 plants would be a lot of work, and I don't think you'd get any more at harvest than you would with 3 or 4 larger plants...
You'd probably need more than one light in that 80" long space too, but I'm sure you knew that..

It sounds do-able to me..
Good Luck :thumb:

Hi, BlazinOwl-

If you figure (apx) 4" for the light, 6" for the pots (if they're small ones)- that's 10", so that leaves you 20" to grow something in..
I think it'd work pretty well, but to hold multiple plants at apx. 17"tall is going to require a lot of training, so you may want to go with just 3 or 4 ,and just train them as wide as possible.

Training 10 or 12 plants would be a lot of work, and I don't think you'd get any more at harvest than you would with 3 or 4 larger plants...
You'd probably need more than one light in that 80" long space too, but I'm sure you knew that..

I think I could get 35 maybe 36” in height. Assuming that would be better?
Yes I’m aware of more than 1 light
Would a 4 “ or Chautauqua fan be plenty for this grow? Or shall I order a 6”?

What happens when you put the light to the side? and scrog it vertically?
I’ve seen someone grow their plant on the”side” like lay it down. May be an option.
SOG is what I’m wanting just don’t want plants to get to tall

Hi, BlazinOwl-

Could I veg and flower in a 1 gal? I understand it’ll take more watering

Here ya go, BlazinOwl-

I’ve seen someone grow their plant on the”side” like lay it down. May be an option.
SOG is what I’m wanting just don’t want plants to get to tall
That's why I was thinking width for height... what light are you using? I'd put a HPS bulb in the centre and then come at it with plants from the two sides :)

Alternative make an earth box in the centre with holes drilled on the side in which you plant and have LEDS on the sides.. A plant will follow the light pretty well, gravity will kick in after a while but you hook them to the ceiling.

Edit: Or light in the centre and then have a bow shaped scrog screen and the plants can come from the corners, part goes lower part goes higher...

Could I veg and flower in a 1 gal? I understand it’ll take more watering
Sure. For several years I worked on getting one ounce dried per plant while growing in 1 to 1 1/2 gallons of soil. It did take more than just "more watering" to pull it off. Had to try a few different fertilizer companies and schedules. I found it easier to do with clones than with plants directly from seeds.

I remembered that there is a sub-forum that might be helpful. It does have some old and new threads on cabinet growing. Some people are growing in cabinets which can have the same size restrictions as your tents.

https://www.420magazine.com/community/forums/cabinet-closet-grow-room-setup.109/

Honestly I think half pipe maximises it the most..
As you can grow bigger buds.. if you need to scrog them really short straight under the light it's more loads of smaller buds.
As you can have plants at the two sides and don't have to keep them that short as there's plenty of space to guide them.
You could plaster over a meter of LEDs in the centre and grow under all that.

Like this cut in half and with led and a bit wider radius.
th-1.jpg

That's why I was thinking width for height... what light are you using? I'd put a HPS bulb in the centre and then come at it with plants from the two sides :)

Alternative make an earth box in the centre with holes drilled on the side in which you plant and have LEDS on the sides.. A plant will follow the light pretty well, gravity will kick in after a while but you hook them to the ceiling.

Edit: Or light in the centre and then have a bow shaped scrog screen and the plants can come from the corners, part goes lower part goes higher...
This is something I’m going to build so I will be needing to purchase lights. Preferably led lights I would imagine. Trying to have ballast on the out side of the box to help with the heat being there will be 2 tents on top of this cabinet
Again this is all just in beginning stages

Back
Top Bottom